Bills linked to Jason Peters

DJB

No.

I dont follow the rosters that closely.

But, whoever the top 2 or 3 of them are, regardless of level, should be looking at coming here, if invited.  And it sounds like those 2-3 guys might be better than what we are cutting loose.

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You don't actually think someone is going to cut a decent reserve offensive tackle,  do you?

Not happening.

6 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

He hasn’t had that truly terrible game yet???

Haven't even seen the game yet.

But one bad preseason game against Watt? Not an important indicator. 

Again, I haven't seen it yet, but no, not time to hit the panic button. But now they need to be consistently watching. Cause for concern, yes.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Haven't even seen the game yet.

But one bad preseason game against Watt? Not an important indicator. 

Again, I haven't seen it yet, but no, not time to hit the panic button. But now they need to be consistently watching. Cause for concern, yes.

Brown hasn't really looked right since we drafted him - can be a turnstile more often than not.

26 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea and that's how bad brown is that a 41 yr old who's been battered for 20 yrs in nfl is still better than a younger player.

If he is. It's questionable.

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Brown hasn't really looked right since we drafted him - can be a turnstile more often than not.

Well, I'd disagree with that.

He's looked plenty good at times. Certainly not very good at other times. Before the injury he had really started to improve.

And by many reports he's had a good camp overall. Again, haven't seen the game as I figure out how to replace International Game Pass, but I'm certainly willing to believe it was bad.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

If he is. It's questionable.

Well, I'd disagree with that.

He's looked plenty good at times. Certainly not very good at other times. Before the injury he had really started to improve.

And by many reports he's had a good camp overall. Again, haven't seen the game as I figure out how to replace International Game Pass, but I'm certainly willing to believe it was bad.

I do agree that the injury has really affected his progress.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah, this just did happen this way. 

Again they didn't have to give him the extension a year early and could have had him play under the $425K tender in his 3rd season and then tendered him again the following year.  But they did.  And he didn't even make the Pro Bowl at RT in 2005.

As for what he demanded, I don't recall $13M, but I do recall him wanting to be paid more than Derrick Dockery, who was making $7M/year.  Speaking of which, yes, Brandon must have thought himself such a great negotiator, giving Dockery that deal, when he'd never even made a Pro Bowl. 

As for the Bills not willing to give him $10M/year, there is zero evidence for that.  That was the market rate and Ralph had made other great Bills players the highest-paid in the past.  He just got pissed that he didn't get it when he demanded it and made the decision to leave, ultimately ending up making $10M/year in 2009, which is when the Bills wanted him to wait until anyway.

No, it did not happen that way.

I'm not arguing the time they gave him the extension. But it was a brilliant move by the Bills and worked that way right from minute one and more so as each game passed, particularly when they quickly moved him to LT making him radically undervalued. 

And no he didn't make the Pro Bowl in 2005, his first year to play on the line in his pro career (and college besides). He did have hiccups early but by the middle of the year he was one of the best. He didn't make the Pro Bowl because fans didn't know who he was yet. He was playing excellently and you didn't find anyone saying he wasn't. 

It was absolutely reported by an anonymous source that Peters was asking for $13M and Peters never disagreed. But that was when the Bills were said to be offering around $7M, and as each side made moves they bracketed in on $10M.

And yeah, you're damn right Brandon thought he was a smart negotiator and contract giver after that second contract. In his first year on the line he was already extremely good. The next year he went to the Pro Bowl and in his third and fourth years on the line he was All-Pro ... all under Brandon's RT contract.

If he'd had a Snidely Whiplash moustache, Brandon would have been twirling it. It looked team-friendly early and  extremely team-friendly right from the moment that they switched him to LT.

The evidence they didn't give him $10M is that it took the Eagles about two hours to work out the contract after the trade. Literally. The Eagles signed him al. And that the numbers that came out during negotiations were bracketed right in on $10M. $10M was the widespread guess all through the negotiations and was what he signed ffor in Philly. No, it can't be proved. Yes, it was by far the most likely way it went down and was reported as such at the time.

There is a fair amount of evidence that the Bills wanted him back. None that they were willing to give him the $10M he wanted, especially that year. It was April when he was traded. If they were willing to give him that the same year the Eagles did why didn't they? Why didn't they ever come out and say, "That Eagles contract, we'd offered him that"?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You don't actually think someone is going to cut a decent reserve offensive tackle,  do you?

Not happening.

There will nearly 1200 cut current roster players available by Tuesday.  Can't be one decent reserve OT in those numbers?

Not happening.

Yep, every team needs 1 or more tackles as depth.  Most teams want versatile ones that can kick inside and hold their own to help with the gameday roster.

If you want a backup tackle you are going to have to find a team that is willing to move one for a draft pick.  

I imagine the discussion depending on the player starts with a 5th rd pick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, it did not happen that way.

I'm not arguing the time they gave him the extension. But it was a brilliant move by the Bills and worked that way right from minute one and more so as each game passed, particularly when they quickly moved him to LT making him radically undervalued. 

And no he didn't make the Pro Bowl in 2005, his first year to play on the line in his pro career (and college besides). He did have hiccups early but by the middle of the year he was one of the best. He didn't make the Pro Bowl because fans didn't know who he was yet. He was playing excellently and you didn't find anyone saying he wasn't. 

It was absolutely reported by an anonymous source that Peters was asking for $13M and Peters never disagreed. But that was when the Bills were said to be offering around $7M, and as each side made moves they bracketed in on $10M.

And yeah, you're damn right Brandon thought he was a smart negotiator and contract giver after that second contract. In his first year on the line he was already extremely good. The next year he went to the Pro Bowl and in his third and fourth years on the line he was All-Pro ... all under Brandon's RT contract.

If he'd had a Snidely Whiplash moustache, Brandon would have been twirling it. It looked team-friendly early and  extremely team-friendly right from the moment that they switched him to LT.

The evidence they didn't give him $10M is that it took the Eagles about two hours to work out the contract after the trade. Literally. The Eagles signed him al. And that the numbers that came out during negotiations were bracketed right in on $10M. $10M was the widespread guess all through the negotiations and was what he signed ffor in Philly. No, it can't be proved. Yes, it was by far the most likely way it went down and was reported as such at the time.

There is a fair amount of evidence that the Bills wanted him back. None that they were willing to give him the $10M he wanted, especially that year. It was April when he was traded. If they were willing to give him that the same year the Eagles did why didn't they? Why didn't they ever come out and say, "That Eagles contract, we'd offered him that"?

The point I was making with not even making the Pro Bowl in 2005 is not that he wasn't a promising and soon to be great player, but that the Bills gave him a huge raise when they didn't need to.  And again he had 2 years left on that contract when he demanded a new one.

As for the bolded, again, once they told him to wait a year he fired his previous agent and hired Parker, who I have no doubt told him he should set his sights on a bigger market for even the same money.  And that was it for the Bills and nothing they could do would change his mind.

Edited by Doc

2 hours ago, LarryMadman said:

Lol, dude is going to be 42 in January! Yeah, no thanks, hard pass!

He'd be on a 1 year deal and a rotational player mostly used on passing downs. He's a mild upgrade to what we have in place. I'm all for keeping Josh upright.  For all that was bad yesterday Josh still throws darts when he has the time.

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

If Jason Peters was watching  last night there is no way he is coming here.

He might even fake an ACL

If he was hoping to be a backup and collect a check, last night seemed to change the complexion of things. We would need the old man to EARN it. There ain’t no easy money! 

Nobody knows that better than you!    😋

(Pro tip - bad backs are hard to pin down.) 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

There will nearly 1200 cut current roster players available by Tuesday.  Can't be one decent reserve OT in those numbers?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Most teams don't have 2 good tackles so why would any of them have more than 4 playable OT's and just release one?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 8/19/2023 at 3:59 PM, Mr. WEO said:

I can't imagine Beane signing a nearly 42 year old O-lineman to take a few snaps.

agreed, but I can’t imagine going into the season with no Doyle and the disaster at RT currently.  Not sure there is a better RT around.  Hopefully his age won’t stop Bean.  

Edited by RyanC883

55 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Most teams don't have 2 good tackles so why would any of them have more than 4 playable OT's and just release one?

Dallas released Peters.  So did the Bears...

52 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

agreed, but I can’t imagine going into the season with no Doyle and the disaster at RT currently.  Not sure there is a better RT around.  Hopefully his age won’t stop Bean.  

See above

1 hour ago, EffKCChiefs said:

Tried to tell several of you that Dawkins was trash and got flamed for it. Brown shouldn't be a starter either he has regressed mightily. Its a real problem.

Dawkins, he should change his nickname to the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man - fat, slow and soft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Dallas released Peters.  So did the Bears...

Dallas and Chicago didn't release Peters..........they had no control over Peters..........he signed one year deals and became a free agent as soon as the season ended.

You understand how this works, right?

He and Ndamukong Suh are two freaks of nature that are much older than anyone else at their positions but have continually proven they can step in WHENEVER and play good football.    

They just have no interest in spending the offseason required to attend team activities or training camp.   They have both just been picking and choosing when they want to play and whether they want to play with the interested teams.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, boyst said:

This dude will make two NFL all decade teams and the HOF. I hate that we ever let him go.

Well, we may have traded an all-time HOF LT, but we did use the #1 pick from the trade to draft this guy.

Sure it took him many years to be anything really good, but just look at him, he fit right in, classic Drought-Era move.

.image_preview

• Haha (+1) 4

On 8/19/2023 at 1:54 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think he can hold up physically to play 90% of snaps anymore.   Yeah he was still doing that in 2021 but, I mean, dude is 41 now.   I think you'd just view him as a way better replacement for Quessenberry at this point.   Maybe the biggest thing he could do is help Dion Dawkins learn what it takes to extend his career.   Dion at 28 was blocking at a level like Peters at 38.   That shouldn't be.   Dion should be in his prime now and he's trailing off significantly.  Maybe he could help wake Dion up and help extend his career.   Like I said, Bills fans think he's a malcontent because the Bills tried to move him to LT and pay him RT money and he wanted fair market compensation for the bump in responsibility...........but he's been renowned as a GREAT teammate and leader for the vast majority of his career.

Actually, the Bills were paying Peters low-end RT money -- and wanted to continue to do that -- even though Peters made the Pro Bowl and 2nd team All Pro at LT.  The LT whom Peters replaced left in free agency the next season and signed for more than the Bills were paying Peters IIRC.

On 8/19/2023 at 9:55 AM, McBean said:

this.

Give me a 100 year old Peters at RT over Spencer Brown.

Seriously, I think I agree.  I think that is a better player for the position and gets us a better O line!  Do it!

On 8/19/2023 at 11:19 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Jason Peters would be the 2nd best tackle on the Bills. That’s pretty sad. If you have a chance to sign him, you should.

Correct and correct, sign him!

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/19/2023 at 3:12 PM, Mr. WEO said:

That's a different question than "should the Bills pay a 42 year old Tackle over a million to coach other O-line vets for a year"....

Jason Peters would not factor into Josh Allen's health.

Meh, I think I disagree.  IF Peters can improve the roster, you do it.  IF it is for mentorship and coaching you don't.  I think he can improve our Oline.  

It's hard to say, it's sad, but, true, I'm kind of dumb, but, so are you.............Gordie Downie, The Tragically Hip

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Well, we may have traded an all-time HOF LT, but we did use the #1 pick from the trade to draft this guy.

Sure it took him many years to be anything really good, but just look at him, he fit right in, classic Drought-Era move.

.image_preview

The resident Jason Peters haters used to scoff when I told them that not only was Peters great and played a more important position but that despite being in his 6th year when Wood was a rookie that Peters would be in the league well after Wood was gone.

@PromoTheRobot used to keep us constantly updated with ANY negative press about Peters until well past the point that he was a HOF'er.

Of course he used to do that about Bryant McKinnie as well.........in support of the decision to draft "Big Mike" Williams instead. :doh:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rico said:

.image_preview

I like him as a person. Unimpressed as a player. The personification of drought era Bills. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The resident Jason Peters haters used to scoff when I told them that not only was Peters great and played a more important position but that despite being in his 6th year when Wood was a rookie that Peters would be in the league well after Wood was gone.

@PromoTheRobot used to keep us constantly updated with ANY negative press about Peters until well past the point that he was a HOF'er.

Of course he used to do that about Bryant McKinnie as well.........in support of the decision to draft "Big Mike" Williams instead. :doh:

He had a mean streak, I can see how people were fooled by him. :pirate:  

51829391-arizona-cardinals-v-buffalo-bil

"I'm hongry, damn it!"

offensive-tackle-mike-williams-of-the-bu

"I've gotta drop a deuce, damn it!"

Edited by Rico
  • Haha (+1) 3

20 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

He had a contract to play RT once he showed at LT he was underpaid.  I hated him forcing his way out of Buffali but I couldn't fault him who knows how much quicker the drought would have ended if he remained a Bill had they reworked his deal fairly.  Easily could have made difference in making playoffs. 

If anybody wants evidence that the Bills under Ralph Wilson put profits over winning in his last fifteen years as owner, compare the players the Bills drafted and/or developed that they traded away or allowed to walk in free agency and those that they kept.  The list of ex-Bills who went on to star for other teams is far longer than the players the Bills kept who became more than JAGs.  Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, and Stephon Gilmore all became All Pros for other teams after the Bills sent them packing -- and won SB rings, too.  Antoine Winfield, Sr made the  Pro Bowl three times and was also named 2nd team All Pro.  Willis McGahee made the Pro Bowl twice for two different teams (Baltimore and Denver).  There were many more.   Kyle Williams was one of the few good home-grown players the Bills kept.  They were much more likely to keep players like Chris Kelsay, Lee Evans, and Leodis McKelvin.

IMO, the only way the Bills can hope to improve their OT situation via other teams' castoffs is if they find a very raw rookie/2nd year player that another team tries to stash on their practice squad.   That player would be unlikely to be of much help this season though.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If anybody wants evidence that the Bills under Ralph Wilson put profits over winning in his last fifteen years as owner, compare the players the Bills drafted and/or developed that they traded away or allowed to walk in free agency and those that they kept.  The list of ex-Bills who went on to star for other teams is far longer than the players the Bills kept who became more than JAGs.  Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, and Stephon Gilmore all became All Pros for other teams after the Bills sent them packing -- and won SB rings, too.  Antoine Winfield, Sr made the  Pro Bowl three times and was also named 2nd team All Pro.  Willis McGahee made the Pro Bowl twice for two different teams (Baltimore and Denver).  There were many more.   Kyle Williams was one of the few good home-grown players the Bills kept.  They were much more likely to keep players like Chris Kelsay, Lee Evans, and Leodis McKelvin.

IMO, the only way the Bills can hope to improve their OT situation via other teams' castoffs is if they find a very raw rookie/2nd year player that another team tries to stash on their practice squad.   That player would be unlikely to be of much help this season though.

We need a Wyatt teller opportunity 

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

I like him as a person. Unimpressed as a player. The personification of drought era Bills. 

Yeah Eric Wood was a very scheme specific player.   He was pretty athletic but he was beyond overmatched against power........to the extent that a big DT literally snapped his leg when Wood tried to engage in a test of strength with him.    He eventually learned how to stop trying to out-physical opponents after numerous injuries as a result of over-estimating his ability..........and just block the edges of defenders...........and that made him effective in systems where he could be put on the move later in his career.     

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Eric Wood was a very scheme specific player.   He was pretty athletic but he was beyond overmatched against power........to the extent that a big DT literally snapped his leg when Wood tried to engage in a test of strength with him.    He eventually learned how to stop trying to out-physical opponents after numerous injuries as a result of over-estimating his ability..........and just block the edges of defenders...........and that made him effective in systems where he could be put on the move later in his career.     

Bingo.

His tough, badass attitude was cute with Maybin, though.

Wood started at Guard, and Geoff Hangartner played Center. Hangartners injury caused Wood to move to Center. He may have been better as a guard. Levitre was a better lineman than Wood, too.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, boyst said:

Bingo.

His tough, badass attitude was cute with Maybin, though.

Wood started at Guard, and Geoff Hangartner played Center. Hangartners injury caused Wood to move to Center. He may have been better as a guard. Levitre was a better lineman than Wood, too.

Stop this ***** right now. Wood was very good when he got the neck diagnosis. 

9 hours ago, SoTier said:

Actually, the Bills were paying Peters low-end RT money -- and wanted to continue to do that -- even though Peters made the Pro Bowl and 2nd team All Pro at LT.  The LT whom Peters replaced left in free agency the next season and signed for more than the Bills were paying Peters IIRC.

Classic Ralph at his football worst.  As soon as I saw the contract, I knew they undersold him as a RT and would switch him to left.  I think it took like 3 weeks, due to, cough, 'injury'.

Ralph screwed this fan-base so many times over the years by hard-ballin' great players.  Can't blame Peters for bailing.  

Look at this crap-  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jason-peters-1179/cash-earnings/

Always gonna love this play... I was so optimistic haha:

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Classic Ralph at his football worst.  As soon as I saw the contract, I knew they undersold him as a RT and would switch him to left.  I think it took like 3 weeks, due to, cough, 'injury'.

Ralph screwed this fan-base so many times over the years by hard-ballin' great players.  Can't blame Peters for bailing.  

Look at this crap-  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jason-peters-1179/cash-earnings/

Always gonna love this play... I was so optimistic haha:

JP's first NFL TD.

2 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

And then the back-to-back 83 yard TD's to #83, Lee Evans... I was so pumped- it was a sign from God himself!!!

or maybe something else

Unfortunately, a "sign' of the apocalypse from the book of Revelation, not a future blessing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.