YouTube TV - NFL Sunday Ticket question

Jerry Jabber

I’ve had YouTubeTV since January.  Love it.  You can share your account with “family” but they are technically supposed to be in the same household.  I share with my mom and she lives about 15 minutes from us so I think that is geographically close enough to avoid detection.  Also, Google allows you to travel with your account.  When I am away from home and log in to the service it asks me if I am traveling and as long as I say “yes” then I have my full service, although the local channels switch to where I am currently located.

The “family share” allows whomever you’re sharing with to access every add-on you have…including Sunday Ticket.  So my mom will be able to watch the games at home this season.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I probably hadn’t paid full-price for ticket from DTV for at least the last 10 years. The last few years I got it for free.

True that. I was at least 10 years not paying. But I was also playing $175/month for DTV in one household, would have been another $100 month for our second home, and now I pay $74 a month for both, plus both my kids at their house , plus one other. I will gladly pay the $275 one time to save about $2400 a year. 

35 minutes ago, eball said:

I’ve had YouTubeTV since January.  Love it.  You can share your account with “family” but they are technically supposed to be in the same household.  I share with my mom and she lives about 15 minutes from us so I think that is geographically close enough to avoid detection.  Also, Google allows you to travel with your account.  When I am away from home and log in to the service it asks me if I am traveling and as long as I say “yes” then I have my full service, although the local channels switch to where I am currently located.

The “family share” allows whomever you’re sharing with to access every add-on you have…including Sunday Ticket.  So my mom will be able to watch the games at home this season.

As mentioned above, my kids one in DC, one in Morgantown, both use our account under family accounts. As does our partners in our second house. Because they live outside of Richmond( our home area) once every couple months or so I log in with their credentials and it resets their “ travel “ status. 

I am sure this will end soon, but I have been saying that for the almost 4 years been using YTTV. 

be interesting to see how the ticket works in that, good thing is we have the first week to find out without sweating a 1:00 PM kickoff! 

13 hours ago, balln said:

Does anyone know - can you share accounts ? Originally it seemed like they were going to let 2 ppl share account. I assumed my dad in Rochester and me in Philadelphia. And we’d split the cost. But now it’s not clear. Like YouTube wants you to get your own account?

I just cancelled Youtube TV and went to Sling (because lower cost) and YT sent email asking why ... I checked off "cost to high" and they actually suggested that I stay and share the subscription.  So, they seem to promote sharing.  But I find that Sling has what I need for almost half the cost.  I haven't subscribed to Ticket in about 11 years.  Everything getting crazy expensive nowadays.

• Like (+1) 1

I also made the move from DTV to YTV but I have serious concerns about whether or not they have the infrastructure and bandwidth in place to handle what's coming once the season starts.

Plus I still hate the idea of having to rely on your internet connection (which I'm sure Google and  Youtube can blame if there are widespread issues) for this knowing outages and problems that are out of your control can happen.

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I also made the move from DTV to YTV but I have serious concerns about whether or not they have the infrastructure and bandwidth in place to handle what's coming once the season starts.

Plus I still hate the idea of having to rely on your internet connection (which I'm sure Google and  Youtube can blame if there are widespread issues) for this knowing outages and problems that are out of your control can happen.

Do you think it’s any more risky than weather affecting the satellite reception?  I’ve never had a dish but have heard weather can affect reception. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Do you think it’s any more risky than weather affecting the satellite reception?  I’ve never had a dish but have heard weather can affect reception. 

I had DirecTV for 23 years before dropping them this past January and I can count on one hand how many times weather affected reception.  Not as much snow here in northern Virginia as in NY, but we get heavy rains from time to time and it rarely affected the dish.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

valid concerns. I have them too

37 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I had DTV for nearly 20 years and rarely had issues in terms of losing signal even with bad weather, might have just been lucky though because I do know others that did especially in the northeast areas. I also had a brad new dish installed in between.

I guess my concern is even though I pay for the most expensive internet package there's still issues from time to time and prolonged outages. Worst case will just have to burn phone data and fire up the personal hotspot but I do like what I've seen from YTV for the most part and was able to sign up for special promotion and discount offered to previous DTV/Sunday Ticket subsribers.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lou from CT said:

I signed up for the Sunday ticket on You Tube in early June for the discount, but am not a You tube Tv customer. Does anyone know how I go in and watch the games when the season starts if you have purchased the Sunday ticket package but do not have You Tube Tv. Thanks for any help you can give me .Go Bills

1. Sign in to your YouTube account (ie: Google account if you don't have YTV)

2. Look for "movies & tv" button, which should be under 'Explore' section (this might show up slightly different depending if you're logging in via TV, Computer or Phone)

3. "Purchased" section should have Sunday ticket then listed.  OR under the 'Primetime channels' list, you should see Sunday ticket (or be able to navigate to it, by clicking on NFL first)

That's what I've gathered thus far.  I just upgraded thru Verizon, and should be getting it free BUT Verizon has messed up alot on their promo and its not working yet (not to derail the topic, I'm interested if others in same boat).  Hopefully get it sorted out in the next week or so.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I had DTV for nearly 20 years and rarely had issues in terms of losing signal even with bad weather, might have just been lucky though because I do know others that did especially in the northeast areas. I also had a brad new dish installed in between.

I guess my concern is even though I pay for the most expensive internet package there's still issues from time to time and prolonged outages. Worst case will just have to burn phone data and fire up the personal hotspot but I do like what I've seen from YTV for the most part and was able to sign up for special promotion and discount offered to previous DTV/Sunday Ticket subsribers.

I'm lucky. I'm just outside Philly with comcast. Rarely if ever have internet issues

16 hours ago, nucci said:

I'm saving a lot since switching from directv to youtube tv. Sunday ticket plus redzone $289. Directv was $395. youtube tv is $73..my directv bill was minimum $150 a month

You clearly didn’t attempt to negotiate or were really bad at it. There are plenty of us in this forum including myself who have gotten the Sunday ticket free (or greatly discounted) for years. Yes, we’re charged for it (that’s the NFL doing that) but are given credits from Directv that wipe out the subscription cost and often more. 
I have the the Directv Premier package (HBO, Max, NFL network, ESPN, and most of usual news, food, and home cable channels).  3 TVs with HD Genie receivers, plus protection plan, and mobile device functionality. $60.00/month (with tax). 
The first time in 25 years going without the Sunday Ticket since most games will be on TV here (Atlanta) and for the 5 or 6 games that aren’t on TV I’ll watch delayed on NFL +, go to Bills Backers bar, or watch and cast to TV from various outlets that will stream the game live for free. 
Anyone who’s been paying full price for Directv service is foolish. It’s the same with a lot of cell phone services. What does it really cost them? A little bandwidth? They want the monthly fee. They WILL negotiate. But you have to ask.  

One thing to consider this year is that the Bills are probably going to only have 6 or 7 games that are not nationally televised (either over the air or on cable only). If you get the YT NFL ticket only (No YT base subscription, which btw is $73/month), it’s going to cost you $400! 😟

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Lou from CT said:

I signed up for the Sunday ticket on You Tube in early June for the discount, but am not a You tube Tv customer. Does anyone know how I go in and watch the games when the season starts if you have purchased the Sunday ticket package but do not have You Tube Tv. Thanks for any help you can give me .Go Bills

You will need some other medium to watch the other games like locally broadcasted ones, Thursday night, Sunday night and MNF. There is no other (legal) way. I too have only subscribed to NFLST and will sign up for YouTube TV starting Sept 10 till the Championship round on Jan 28

Edited by Fan in Chicago

16 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

That’s saying a subscriber can share the YouTubeTV account, but the NFL Sunday Ticket subscription stated up to 3 devices, but in the same household. 
Slightly ambiguous. I presume We could watch on TV at paying address, but use (2) mobile devices outside house. 
If that’s the case, I could share with a friend, but only one of us could actually watch it on our TV.  The other would have to use a computer screen or mobile device. At least that’s the way I understand it. 
As to the idea YouTubeTV is a better value….just wait. For all the folks who ‘cut the cord’ to save, but use streaming, it’s only a matter of time before those services start nickel and diming you right back to where you were originally. What was Netflix- like $9/month not too long ago? What is it now for the same service?  Part of the appeal is lot of the streaming channels are monthly, no contract, and a la cart. At some point they’ll price it so that it’s more economical to buy a bundle of 3,6, or 12 months. 

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

You clearly didn’t attempt to negotiate or were really bad at it. There are plenty of us in this forum including myself who have gotten the Sunday ticket free (or greatly discounted) for years. Yes, we’re charged for it (that’s the NFL doing that) but are given credits from Directv that wipe out the subscription cost and often more. 
I have the the Directv Premier package (HBO, Max, NFL network, ESPN, and most of usual news, food, and home cable channels).  3 TVs with HD Genie receivers, plus protection plan, and mobile device functionality. $60.00/month (with tax). 
The first time in 25 years going without the Sunday Ticket since most games will be on TV here (Atlanta) and for the 5 or 6 games that aren’t on TV I’ll watch delayed on NFL +, go to Bills Backers bar, or watch and cast to TV from various outlets that will stream the game live for free. 
Anyone who’s been paying full price for Directv service is foolish. It’s the same with a lot of cell phone services. What does it really cost them? A little bandwidth? They want the monthly fee. They WILL negotiate. But you have to ask.  

Yes, clearly. I negotiated every year and received discounts up till last season.  I would receive monthly discounts up to $60 month for 12 months and other free items. Without discounts my base channel package was $125/month. The fees for 3 TVs and DVRs came to $54 month.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I'm lucky. I'm just outside Philly with comcast. Rarely if ever have internet issues

I think it really just depends on the area you live vs the provider.

People I know in western have complained about spectrum (i think that's the current name for what was formerly know as adelphia) for years, others not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

That’s saying a subscriber can share the YouTubeTV account, but the NFL Sunday Ticket subscription stated up to 3 devices, but in the same household. 
Slightly ambiguous. I presume We could watch on TV at paying address, but use (2) mobile devices outside house. 
If that’s the case, I could share with a friend, but only one of us could actually watch it on our TV.  The other would have to use a computer screen or mobile device. At least that’s the way I understand it. 
As to the idea YouTubeTV is a better value….just wait. For all the folks who ‘cut the cord’ to save, but use streaming, it’s only a matter of time before those services start nickel and diming you right back to where you were originally. What was Netflix- like $9/month not too long ago? What is it now for the same service?  Part of the appeal is lot of the streaming channels are monthly, no contract, and a la cart. At some point they’ll price it so that it’s more economical to buy a bundle of 3,6, or 12 months. 

Another thing is that a lot of people forget to figure in the cost of their internet too. Obviously, you MUST have a good/fast connection for a seamless streaming feed. No internet, no YouTube TV of any kind.

• Agree 1

Ironically, after bitching for 25 years or so about not being able to get Sunday TIcket, now that I can (I even signed up for YoutubeTV), I am going to pass this year.  I live in Texas...looking at the Bills schedule, assuming they are still a winning team this year, between primetime games, and Sunday afternoon high profile games, I think I will get to see anywhere from 10-12 Bills games without Sunday Ticket.   I will go to the bar, for the other 5 or 6.  

I do subscribe to NFL+ ($99 for a year), and if I am understanding correctly, though you still can't watch game live, the y are including Red Zone with it.  Not sure how much I would use Red Zone (I like to focus on one game at a time), but it's nice to have that option available, at no extra charge.  To get Red Zone through YoutubeTV it is $10.99 a month.

Edited by Buftex
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buftex said:

To get Red Zone through YoutubeTV it is $10.99 a month.

But it is included with ST, so you only pay that if you don’t get ST.  In your situation, you don’t need it since you could stream RZ from the NFL app.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Looks like a student discount is in the works...dang, should have waited.

https://cordcuttersnews.com/youtube-tv-youtube-adds-a-new-monthly-payment-cheaper-student-plan-for-nfl-sunday-ticket/

Thanks for the info.  I got a niece and nephew both starting college and live back in Buffalo.  I'm going to check into this.

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

You will need some other medium to watch the other games like locally broadcasted ones, Thursday night, Sunday night and MNF. There is no other (legal) way. I too have only subscribed to NFLST and will sign up for YouTube TV starting Sept 10 till the Championship round on Jan 28

The NFL+ package (~ $100/yr) lets you watch the prime time games in real time, but only on a device like a phone or tablet. I did that a couple of times last year and it wasn't bad. I suppose if you have a bunch of people watching, it's not so good, but a 7" tablet on my lap is about the same apparent size as a 42" screen across the room.  That's cheaper than several months of YTTV.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Yes, clearly. I negotiated every year and received discounts up till last season.  I would receive monthly discounts up to $60 month for 12 months and other free items. Without discounts my base channel package was $125/month. The fees for 3 TVs and DVRs came to $54 month.

Excellent! The point I forgot to make, though I have previously, is that as much as some people disparage Directv, at least there are still real customer service people to talk to. Good luck with the faceless streaming services. You’ll be waiting for annual promotions, but there won’t ever be bargaining with anyone.  

I'm one of those folks who negotiated hard with Directv in the past and got Sunday Ticket for free in many years, or at a highly reduced rate in others.  I also negotiated discounts on my regular DTV service too.  That said, even after all of the discounts, YouTubeTV is still $30-$40 per month cheaper than my DTV monthly service and it's a whole lot more flexible.  As long as I have a device and an internet connection, I can watch anything from my account.  DTV's technology to try and do this was terrible and more or less useless.  So I cut the cord and moved over to YTV.  It's been great.  My first test was this past Sunday where I went to the gym with my tablet.  I was able to access YTV (gym has strong WiFi), and play the Bills preseason game that was recorded on my DVR (aka "Library" on YTV) while I spent an hour on an elliptical machine.  I could not have made that happen with DTV....The only downside is that I couldn't find a place to put my beer.😁

Sunday Ticket was more expensive for me this year (not free), but I got the $100 discount for being a YTV subscriber and the additional $100 for signing up early (before June 6).  If I do the math over 12 months, I'm ahead of the game.  

I also think that I could probably do some splitting/sharing of YTV and Sunday Ticket through the Family Group thing, but I decided to just buy it all outright (as did my brother who is one state over).  We'll figure out how it all works this year, and perhaps consolidate next year after we have a good grasp on how it works.  I admit to perhaps jumping the gun in order to get the additional $100 discount, but I can live with myself.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Excellent! The point I forgot to make, though I have previously, is that as much as some people disparage Directv, at least there are still real customer service people to talk to. Good luck with the faceless streaming services. You’ll be waiting for annual promotions, but there won’t ever be bargaining with anyone.  

I had no problems with directv. Losing the Ticket and increase in price made me leave

On 8/16/2023 at 2:28 PM, Buftex said:

I do subscribe to NFL+ ($99 for a year), and if I am understanding correctly, though you still can't watch game live, the y are including Red Zone with it.  Not sure how much I would use Red Zone (I like to focus on one game at a time), but it's nice to have that option available, at no extra charge.  To get Red Zone through YoutubeTV it is $10.99 a month.

On 8/16/2023 at 2:50 PM, WhoTom said:

The NFL+ package (~ $100/yr) lets you watch the prime time games in real time, but only on a device like a phone or tablet. I did that a couple of times last year and it wasn't bad. I suppose if you have a bunch of people watching, it's not so good, but a 7" tablet on my lap is about the same apparent size as a 42" screen across the room.  That's cheaper than several months of YTTV.

For me there are about 4 or so games not available to me where I'd need the Ticket.  My strategy this year is to watch those games on delay on the NFL+ Premium app on my big screen.  They show the full replay of the game as soon as its over so just need to keep busy until then with no score updates!  You can watch the replays on your TV through the NFL app.  But you need Premium for this, which includes said game replays in full and condensed version, All-22, Red Zone, NFL Network, etc.  They are running a special right now for $80 so I jumped on it.  First year since early 90's I will not have the Sunday Ticket.

Edited by HurlyBurly51
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

For me there are about 4 or so games not available to me where I'd need the Ticket.  My strategy this year is to watch those games on delay on the NFL+ Premium app on my big screen.  They show the full replay of the game as soon as its over so just need to keep busy until then with no score updates!  You can watch the replays on your TV through the NFL app.  But you need Premium for this, which includes said game replays in full and condensed version, All-22, Red Zone, NFL Network, etc.  They are running a special right now for $80 so I jumped on it.  First year since early 90's I will not have the Sunday Ticket.

That was my plan too, but I've decided to splurge and get the ticket anyway. That way, when the Bills are on prime time, I can choose which Sunday afternoon games to watch. I do have NFL+ Premium too, in case I miss a game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.