Gazoo Helmets an Option For Players ???????????????

Irv

Anybody know if the Gazoo helmets (extra padding) are an option for players during the pre, post, and regular seasons?  Seems like if it is a good idea during camp/practice, why would it not be a good idea during the season?  Remember Kelso having something a really long time ago. I don't think I have seen anything since????  

Kazoo.jpg

Edited by Irv

28 minutes ago, Irv said:

Anybody know if the Kazoo helmets (extra padding) are an option for players during the pre, post, and regular seasons?  Seems like if it is a good idea during camp/practice, why would it not be a good idea during the season?  Remember Kelso having something a really long time ago. I don't think I have seen anything since????  

Kazoo.jpg

Gazoo....The Great Gazoo.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Lawrence Taylor only kept his in his sock or the lockerroom

Michael Irvin was just holding his for a friend, trying to help him out. ‘Cause, you know, best friends return crack pipes later….. when it’s a better idea. 

• Like (+1) 1

Reminds me of when helmets and goalie masks became required equipment.

Gump Worsley was the last NHL goalie to play mask-less (and helment-less) in 1974.

Craig MacTavish was the last NHL player to play without a helmet. He retired in 1997.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Old Coot said:

Gump Worsley was the last NHL goalie to play mask-less (and helment-less) in 1974.

Craig MacTavish was the last NHL player to play without a helmet. He retired in 1997.

Still remember seeing MacTavish play without one and thinking he was f’n insane 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Not sure about that, but I saw the padding they put on helmets during TC. Pretty standard for all teams now. Wondering if they do that to prevent head injury during camp if that's something they will try and incorporate down the road for games. 

The pads around the helmet are actually mandatory during camp now. This creates a philosophical dilemma and maybe a possible legal dilemma down the road, one would think, if the NFL is essentially admitting that those pads are needed for safety, why are they not mandatory all the time?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The pads around the helmet are actually mandatory during camp now. This creates a philosophical dilemma and maybe a possible legal dilemma down the road, one would think, if the NFL is essentially admitting that those pads are needed for safety, why are they not mandatory all the time?

Absolutely. Yes, they are ugly as all can be. But if it's proven to reduce the chance for injury...well I'd rather see guys able to play.

I read a lot on other teams TCs as well (retired life affords time). And now that I'm thinking about it I have seen next to nothing on guys getting concussions in TC this year. Not sure if that's the normal.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

simple: players would refuse to wear them and the NFLPA would demand that they not be mandatory 

• Simon changed the title to Kazoo Helmets an Option For Players ???????????????
44 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

simple: players would refuse to wear them and the NFLPA would demand that they not be mandatory 

I would think so too, but of course they're not refusing to wear them in camp......

And I think the NFLPA would be in favor of anything that benefitted them monetarily, if the opportunity arose

Yeah, I think they found out that an extra shell really doesn't do much when it comes to the brain being rattled around. In today's day and age of information when it comes to Concussions and Brain Injuries, if that made a difference, it would still be around.

They've surely since come up with better safety measurements for helmets since then that doesn't require a shell. 

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

There's nothing preventing the players from wearing them in games.  I'm not sure if that option prevents a possible lawsuit down the road.

33 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I'd like to see some data that shows how much these help -- Especially long term.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32140546/guardian-caps-soft-shelled-football-helmet-covers-effective-limiting-head-injuries

there is no long term data on tech that’s been in use for 2-3 years, obviously.

They’re called Guardian Caps for the all the non-wannabe comedians out there.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Old Coot said:

F3iFpM7XUAIjgKu.webp

• Irv changed the title to Gazoo Helmets an Option For Players ???????????????
11 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I would think so too, but of course they're not refusing to wear them in camp......

And I think the NFLPA would be in favor of anything that benefitted them monetarily, if the opportunity arose

Where is the monetary benefit for them?

27 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Can you add more question marks please.   Otherwise this is an unimportant thread and it should be locked.

Huh??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? 

• Vomit 1

14 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Since the $750 million concussion lawsuit, everything and anything that has to do with helmets and head injury/safety is coordinated and agreed upon by both the NFL and the NFLPA. If they're mandatory in preseason it's because both sides agreed they should be. And if they're not mandatory or an option during the season, rest assured the decision has been made and agreed to by both sides.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Not sure about that, but I saw the padding they put on helmets during TC. Pretty standard for all teams now. Wondering if they do that to prevent head injury during camp if that's something they will try and incorporate down the road for games. 

High schools are using them to for practices, and probably others levels.  It seems this kind of protection could be inside the helmet.  Or maybe someone will invent a leather helmet … 

On 8/14/2023 at 7:23 PM, Old Coot said:

Believe it or not, the Sabres had one of the last maskless goalies: Joe Dailey.

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/flashback-meet-joe-daley-the-maskless-sabres-goalie/

IMG-20230815-214946.jpg

12 hours ago, Irv said:

I don't think these are mandatory.  

5 hours ago, Irv said:

I was referring to the question marks.  

14 hours ago, Irv said:

Huh??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.