Training Camp 7/30 9:45am

The Wiz

14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Where do you see originality in the building of our team/roster over the past 6 seasons, particularly via the drafts?  

Maybe I'm missing a lot.  I'm open to the possibility.  Convince me.  

Sorry, That's a "No Thanks."  Brandolini's Law applies here: you don't get to throw out a shallow take in language insulting to Beane and our FO, and then expect other people to invest their time and go into detail debunking the trite take you spent two sentences typing.

If you actually lay out a convincing argument from the players the Bills visited or had in pre-draft that Beane was "set" on a "monkey see monkey do" Kelce copycat acquisition vs. just trying to draft the best receiving weapon he could get for the Bills - or lay out a convincing argument that there ISN'T originality in the Bills roster building, I'll be happy to respond.  But you lay some work down first.  (I'll give you one take - look at all the pre-draft takes on Josh Allen and how QB accuracy never improves that Beane shrugged and ignored - to the Bills benefit)

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I agree with this. Allen was way too tentative for the snap -like a Freshman taking a snap for the very 1st time.

It looked to me as though he was focused on where to direct his sneak and just assumed he'd get the ball in his hands.  The equivalent of the classic WR mistake where they start thinking about YAC and don't "look it in".

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I am so slow.  I had to actually watch the clip before the lightbulb dawned that the pass was to Cook and the Bills PR dep't were making a pun.

Edited by Beck Water

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Where do you see originality in the building of our team/roster over the past 6 seasons, particularly via the drafts?  

Really?  It's all over.  Rousseau, Epeneza, Spencer Brown, Kincaid, Bernard.  They have a particular kind of guy they like - athletic, multi-purpose, competitors.  They aren't conventional stars, and they might never work out.  But it's certainly original.  

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

It looked to me as though he was focused on where to direct his sneak and just assumed he'd get the ball in his hands.  The equivalent of the classic WR mistake where they start thinking about YAC and don't "look it in".

Yes.  I've always viewed it that way.  Classic lapse I. Focus that we've seen from Josh once in a while.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

So how is he putting up those numbers but can't be a teams best wideout

Allow me to clarify.  

OK, to start I said under the right circumstances.  I'm also of the mind that if Dorsey improves to being a top-notch OC, not even the best in the league, simply say top-5, then I see our offense easily being the best in franchise history.  I've said this many times over the past month or so.  

IF, and I realize that's a big if, Dorsey does that, I see no reason why we can't have multiple 1,000-yard receivers on the team, Diggs, Davis, and quite possibly even a third although that's probably a reach although I can see two 1,000+ and an 800/900 fairly easily if the Dorsey/Allen/play-calling sync is 100%.  

Smith on Philly last season put up 1,196 (1,200 essentially) and 7 TDs, yet was only #2 by a significant margin.  Adams had 1,516/14.  

But Diggs isn't the TD producer that Adams is, and Davis is a better TD producer than Smith is, so I can see similar here, for example, Diggs 1,500/12 and Davis 1,200/12.  Davis ranks very high among WRs catch% for TDs generally speaking.  

I'd say that there's a fair chance, not great, that this occurs, but I can easily see it happening.  Again, IMO whether or not we're historically great or merely top-4 or 5 in the league this season, depends upon Dorsey's coaching regimen a year into his tenure as OC.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Allow me to clarify.  

OK, to start I said under the right circumstances.  I'm also of the mind that if Dorsey improves to being a top-notch OC, not even the best in the league, simply say top-5, then I see our offense easily being the best in franchise history.  I've said this many times over the past month or so.  

IF, and I realize that's a big if, Dorsey does that, I see no reason why we can't have multiple 1,000-yard receivers on the team, Diggs, Davis, and quite possibly even a third although that's probably a reach although I can see two 1,000+ and an 800/900 fairly easily if the Dorsey/Allen/play-calling sync is 100%.  

Smith on Philly last season put up 1,196 (1,200 essentially) and 7 TDs, yet was only #2 by a significant margin.  Adams had 1,516/14.  

But Diggs isn't the TD producer that Adams is, and Davis is a better TD producer than Smith is, so I can see similar here, for example, Diggs 1,500/12 and Davis 1,200/12.  Davis ranks very high among WRs catch% for TDs generally speaking.  

I'd say that there's a fair chance, not great, that this occurs, but I can easily see it happening.  Again, IMO whether or not we're historically great or merely top-4 or 5 in the league this season, depends upon Dorsey's coaching regimen a year into his tenure as OC.  

very confusing argument

Davis' best production was under Dorsey, yet you seem to think he's responsible for somehow hindering Davis

and your proof of this is Davonta Smith, a first round Heisman winner

does not pass muster sorry

• Eyeroll 1

41 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

“Originality” LOL

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Sorry, That's a "No Thanks."  Brandolini's Law applies here: you don't get to throw out a shallow take in language insulting to Beane and our FO, and then expect other people to invest their time and go into detail debunking the trite take you spent two sentences typing.

If you actually lay out a convincing argument from the players the Bills visited or had in pre-draft that Beane was "set" on a "monkey see monkey do" Kelce copycat acquisition vs. just trying to draft the best receiving weapon he could get for the Bills - or lay out a convincing argument that there ISN'T originality in the Bills roster building, I'll be happy to respond.  But you lay some work down first.  (I'll give you one take - look at all the pre-draft takes on Josh Allen and how QB accuracy never improves that Beane shrugged and ignored - to the Bills benefit)

Allen was an incredibly anomalous risky pick that worked out.   I really don't think it appropriate to bring Beane up at this point in time in the season, but since you insist, and in defense I will.  It gets really old having Beane's ability as a GM revolve entirely around Allen and the enormous project risk that he was.  Many other QBs with similar skills in college have come and gone w/o anything even sniffing that level of success.  To ignore that is to ignore the risk that Beane & Co. took.  

It worked out, great, here we are, all tremendously thankful.  My take at the time was that Allen didn't come with the skillset, but that since he was brilliant there was hope.  And he is brilliant.  

At the same time, I'm not going to rave about how great Beane's been for another decade because of Allen.  

Now, onto the more meaty part of your post;  🙄

But you lay some work down first.

Beane has largely addressed needs on this team as they've existed.  There's been incredibly little planning for future holes.  Apart from five years of signing 1-2 year journeyman free-agents for our OL, the most recent example is MLB.  

He did nothing to address the original loss of Lorax, when we switched to a 2 LB system.  Sure, you can argue how "brilliant" it was and planned, but I don't buy that for a second and nor should anyone as there isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that they would have played 3 LBs otherwise if they'd actually had the talent, and they did for a while using Klein to little effect, because he's purely depth-caliber (part of my argument).  But he did nothing to prepare for the loss of Edmunds.  Now we're grasping at straws hoping that several incredibly unlikely candidates will fill the sizeable hole left by his departure.  

Othwerwise, you're asking me to prove a negative.  You are the one that insists that they're not merely doing what other teams traditionally do, general paradigms in essence, but that they've had some kind of plan that they've effectively managed to execute.  The only problem is that we have a preponderance of free-agents and a serious void of draftees that make that kind of impact for our team, which further contributes to that angle.  

If you don't want to demonstrate how there's been originality, other than in enormous risk-taking, that's fine, I can understand why you wouldn't as it's a tall task if it's even possible at all.  

It also amazes me how people get so emotional over a simple opinion.  

Anyway, unless you want to demonstrate something that you now insist exists, I think we're finished here.  I see no reason to continue this discussion.  I'm sorry it offended you.  Truly, I am.  Tomorrow's a new day.  :) 

The season is on the cusp of beginning.  

GO BILLS!!!!

Here's hoping for a Championship, finally!!!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Really?  It's all over.  Rousseau, Epeneza, Spencer Brown, Kincaid, Bernard.  They have a particular kind of guy they like - athletic, multi-purpose, competitors.  They aren't conventional stars, and they might never work out.  But it's certainly original.  

The only "originality" I see in those picks, beside the possible exception of Rousseau, who's also proven nothing yet, is in trying to get 1st/2nd-rounders in rounds later than the better ones normally would have been selected.  

What was so original about the Epenesa pick?  Specfically?   Brown?  Bernard?  

Kincaid, again, the crux of my point, was an unoriginal attempt to create in Buffalo what Reid has created in KC using Kelce.  Hardly original.  

Rousseau, possibly, given the versatility, but again, perhaps I should have defined "originality" a little bit better.  When I first said it, I was generally referring to a style of play, particularly offensively, but also defensively.  And on the flip side, I wasn't referring to constantly taking unconventional risks that don't pan out to the extent that he's done that, like with Rousseau.  

Signing Diggs, Poyer, Hyde, Morse, a bunch of revolving door WRs, a few TEs too, many OL-men, signing depth-caliber LBs to hopefully start, and even many DL-men, many of which were overpaid  or at least paid top-dollar for what they are, is hardly original.  

The whole 2 LB thing is original, but my point there is that it wasn't deliberate, it was forced upon them due to very specifically a lack of Beane being on top of things, per above, read it again if you don't know what I'm talking about.  

Otherwise, if his drafts and team/roster building are so original, then they've largely failed in so many ways.  

You may see it differently, great.  So be it.  I'm content with it.  :)

Go BILLS!!!  

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I hope they give Bates a shot with the 1st team at center.

I don’t.  I think continuity is important on the OLine.  Let morse, our starter, get as many reps with two new guys next to him.  I get your reasoning but you’re thinking too far out.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

No one has seemed to mention this throw was over Hyde!!!!  Not the MLB or some other dude but Micah freaking Hyde (one of the best deep ball defenders in the league). Motioning Cook wide in 12 personnel is gonna be deadly

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

very confusing argument

I'm sure it is.  Where'd I lose ya?   LOL  

Davis' best production was under Dorsey, yet you seem to think he's responsible for somehow hindering Davis

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that Davis put up 1,200 yards and a dozen TDs last season.  I must've missed some games.  

and your proof of this is Davonta Smith, a first round Heisman winner

No, my proof is that a team can have two top-10 WRs.  There are other examples in NFL history.  Feel free to go find them.  This implication that it's absurd is ignornant.  

You said nothing about heisman awards or draft status previously, now all of a sudden this irrelevant-to-the-discussion circumstance enters the discussion.  

Diggs was a 5th rounder originally.  So your point is ... what, exactly?   Seems as if your goal is to prove that Davis sucks.  OK, great.  I happen to have more hope for him and for our offense this season.  Sorry for being so optimistic.  

Otherwise, I was being pretty civil with you, not sure why you're erupting and engaging like this.  

does not pass muster sorry

I'm crushed.  

LOL 

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

I wouldn't disagree with that.  I didn't mean to insinuate that he's got the same skillset at Diggs, obviously he doesn't.  

He is one of Beane's better draft picks however.  He was the 17th WR taken in that draft class in 2020, yet, he's scored more TDs than all but Jefferson, more than 14 WRs drafted ahead of him, and has more yards than 8 WRs drafted ahead of him.  

Corroborating your statement, he strikes me as more of an Alvin Harper guy to compliment Irvin, rather than the top-dog.  IMO he has almost no chance of ever becoming any team's #1 WR, at least if that team's going to be any good.  

OTOH, I can defintely see him putting up 1,200 Yards and a dozen TDs on 65-70 receptions under the right circumstances, possibly a little bit more.  

I think if Kincaid matches the hype in the regular season, I expect Davis to have a killer year but not volume of receptions.

Im thinking 50 receptions but agree on the other numbers.  He’s a good deep threat.  I would say he’s one of the best post route deep threat.

I don’t buy his ankle as the reason he dropped balls.  I could agree it slowed him up where he was a step and didn’t get to the ball as quickly.  But not when the ball hits both hands. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

No one has seemed to mention this throw was over Hyde!!!!  Not the MLB or some other dude but Micah freaking Hyde (one of the best deep ball defenders in the league). Motioning Cook wide in 12 personnel is gonna be deadly

I'm tellin' ya, if Dorsey's on this season, expect franchise bests from this offense.  

The play of the D will be rendered to secondary status if that happens.  A patently average defense will be more than enough under those circumstances.  

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

The only "originality" I see in those picks, beside the possible exception of Rousseau, who's also proven nothing yet, is in trying to get 1st/2nd-rounders in rounds later than the better ones normally would have been selected.  

What was so original about the Epenesa pick?  Specfically?   Brown?  Bernard?  

Kincaid, again, the crux of my point, was an unoriginal attempt to create in Buffalo what Reid has created in KC using Kelce.  Hardly original.  

Rousseau, possibly, given the versatility, but again, perhaps I should have defined "originality" a little bit better.  When I first said it, I was generally referring to a style of play, particularly offensively, but also defensively.  And on the flip side, I wasn't referring to constantly taking unconventional risks that don't pan out to the extent that he's done that, like with Rousseau.  

Signing Diggs, Poyer, Hyde, Morse, a bunch of revolving door WRs, a few TEs too, many OL-men, signing depth-caliber LBs to hopefully start, and even many DL-men, many of which were overpaid  or at least paid top-dollar for what they are, is hardly original.  

The whole 2 LB thing is original, but my point there is that it wasn't deliberate, it was forced upon them due to very specifically a lack of Beane being on top of things, per above, read it again if you don't know what I'm talking about.  

Otherwise, if his drafts and team/roster building are so original, then they've largely failed in so many ways.  

You may see it differently, great.  So be it.  I'm content with it.  :)

Go BILLS!!!  

None of the guyabi mentioned are typical for the position they play.  Ep and Groot aren't typical edges, Bernard isn't, Brown, isn't.  

And there is zero evidence that Beane was copying the Chiefs.  Zero.  Bills needed receiving AND Kincaid was the BPA.  That's all.  And he's an unconventional tight end.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think if Kincaid matches the hype in the regular season, I expect Davis to have a killer year but not volume of receptions.

Im thinking 50 receptions but agree on the other numbers.  He’s a good deep threat.  I would say he’s one of the best post route deep threat.

I don’t buy his ankle as the reason he dropped balls.  I could agree it slowed him up where he was a step and didn’t get to the ball as quickly.  But not when the ball hits both hands. 

We're largely in agreement on that.  The only way I see Davis catching 60-70 passes is if Allen puts up more completions and therefore yards than he has to date, which I do expect him to do.  If not it will likely be problematic.  Allen was 7th in passing yards and 9th in completions last season.  No reason for that.  So we'll see, but even then it doesn't mean that Davis gets that many of those extra balls although he would obviously be a beneficiary.  

But consider, if Davis merely adds 25% to his catches from last season, he's got 60 (up from 48), and at his career YPR rate of 16.8, those 60 would put him at over 1,000 and around 10 TDs.  (He's averaged a TD every 100 yards)  

WRs tend to improve into their 3rd/4th seasons, and given his injury last season, it's reasonable to expect him to make such a leap this season.  I'm also bigger on Davis than most.  ... which appears to be an unpopular opinion.  LOL  

And yeah, his feet weren't the reasons for his drops.  

Speaking of feet, part of my thinking is that Allen really does run less and throws more.  Who knows, maybe that doesn't happen, which would also be unfortunate.  

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'm tellin' ya, if Dorsey's on this season, expect franchise bests from this offense.  

The play of the D will be rendered to secondary status if that happens.  A patently average defense will be more than enough under those circumstances.  

The d has been secondary to this offense for several seasons now. We only go as far as Allen takes us. 

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

None of the guyabi mentioned are typical for the position they play.  Ep and Groot aren't typical edges, Bernard isn't, Brown, isn't.  

And there is zero evidence that Beane was copying the Chiefs.  Zero.  Bills needed receiving AND Kincaid was the BPA.  That's all.  And he's an unconventional tight end.

Kelce is an unconventional TE.    

If Kincaid is what the team has said he'll be when they drafted him, he and Kelce will be the only two like them in the league.  

This Kincaid stuff is making me crave week 1 even more than I already was. We don't even need him to be insanely good as a rookie, just provide a legit weapon that allows Josh to check down more and open things up for Diggs and Davis. Add to that the new pieces on the O-line that fingers crossed gives Allen more time + improves the run game and ... oh, oh, oh yeeeeeeeeeesssssss

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

The d has been secondary to this offense for several seasons now. We only go as far as Allen takes us. 

Interesting point.  The D has helped us in the regular season, but folded in the postseason with only a couple of semi-irrelevant exceptions in what, 9 playoff games I think.  

During the regular season we held 7 teams to 17 or fewer points, 10 teams to 20 or fewer points, and all but three teams to fewer than 24 points.  

Yes, in the playoffs we only go as far as Allen takes us as our defense seems to disappear then being one of the worst in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Speaking of feet, part of my thinking is that Allen really does run less and throws more.  Who knows, maybe that doesn't happen, which would also be unfortunate.  

I think less designed runs but he'll still scramble when he sees a lane. The key is whether he slides or goes OOB more instead of inviting contact. 

I also think he'll continue to use the threat of a run to mess the defense up. He's deadly when he rolls to his right and throws down the sideline, and when he does that you can see the defenders second guess themselves because they don't know if he's going to make a run for it or launch one deep

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Kelce is an unconventional TE.    

If Kincaid is what the team has said he'll be when they drafted him, he and Kelce will be the only two like them in the league.  

Kelce is a conventional sized tight end. Kincaid is a true tweener.  He could be a big wideout in a pinch.  He's close to Evans.  He's like Hernandez was.  Kelce is different.  

Regardless, there is nothing to suggest Beane was copying KC.  Nothing.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I think less designed runs but he'll still scramble when he sees a lane. The key is whether he slides or goes OOB more instead of inviting contact. 

I also think he'll continue to use the threat of a run to mess the defense up. He's deadly when he rolls to his right and throws down the sideline, and when he does that you can see the defenders second guess themselves because they don't know if he's going to make a run for it or launch one deep

Agreed, but think about it, the more he has to scramble isn't a good sign re: the OL for example.  Could also implicate the play-calling.  

Allen's got the arm, they need him to use it more.  

3 hours ago, Doc said:

The only OT picked around that area was Anton Harrison at 27 (the next OT went early 3rd).  I'm not sure he's even starting.

And one of Beane's misses has been on a high Oline pick.  Kinkaid was the perfect pick - I loved it when we made it.  It opens up space for all the other weapons on offense.  Btw, PHI prob lost the superbowl because of the strip sack mostly cause by the O-line missed assignment

Just now, PBF81 said:

Agreed, but think about it, the more he has to scramble isn't a good sign re: the OL for example.  Could also implicate the play-calling.  

Allen's got the arm, they need him to use it more.  

He would use it more if he had more time in the pocket

We had way too many jailbreaks last year

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Paging @newcam2012!!!

Insert bat signal gif here. 

Get him Newcam!!!   Let him have it- he thinks he can talk good about our OL and get away with it- let him know how bad the OL is destined to be

I'm not here saying this year's oline is bad. Last year's oline wasn't good and the previous year's oline wasn't either. In fact, when can you point to a Beane/ McD oline as being top 5? Elite? SB worthy? I'd argue with confidence the oline has been one major reason why the Bills have fallen short. As a result, I don't think it's a stretch to be cynical about this year's oline.  There are many unknows about this year's constructed line.

My contention is the glowing optimism on fans here. Many seemingly see the line as being stronger than the past.  It certainly can be but I'm in wait and see mode. People want to annoit Torrance as an immediate upgrade and fit to for McGovern and others. I do like that BB has finally tried to overtly upgrade the oline. It remains to be seen if the oline is good enough. It remains to be seen if the oline becomes a strength, weakness, or somewhere in between. 

Hope that clarifies my perspective. 

• Shocked 1

18 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

We're largely in agreement on that.  The only way I see Davis catching 60-70 passes is if Allen puts up more completions and therefore yards than he has to date, which I do expect him to do.  If not it will likely be problematic.  Allen was 7th in passing yards and 9th in completions last season.  No reason for that.  So we'll see, but even then it doesn't mean that Davis gets that many of those extra balls although he would obviously be a beneficiary.  

But consider, if Davis merely adds 25% to his catches from last season, he's got 60 (up from 48), and at his career YPR rate of 16.8, those 60 would put him at over 1,000 and around 10 TDs.  (He's averaged a TD every 100 yards)  

WRs tend to improve into their 3rd/4th seasons, and given his injury last season, it's reasonable to expect him to make such a leap this season.  I'm also bigger on Davis than most.  ... which appears to be an unpopular opinion.  LOL  

And yeah, his feet weren't the reasons for his drops.  

Do those rankings take into account Allen only having 16 games last season?

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Kelce is a conventional sized tight end. Kincaid is a true tweener.  He could be a big wideout in a pinch.  He's close to Evans.  He's like Hernandez was.  Kelce is different.  

Regardless, there is nothing to suggest Beane was copying KC.  Nothing.  

If Kincaid works out to what they said he will, then his role will be identical to Kelce's, their size has nothing to do with it.  

Kelce does anything but play in a conventional TE role.  He's primarily on the field as a receiver.  

If all we get from Kincaid is "Hernandez," then it'll be yet another draft failure for Beane.   Which TE Evans are you referring to?  

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He would use it more if he had more time in the pocket

We had way too many jailbreaks last year

Hence my comment in response.  :) 

49 minutes ago, NewEra said:

“Originality” LOL

What?  You don't miss the days of "original" drafting like picking a run of the mill safety with the 10th  pick of the draft or moving into the first round to pick a DT who was the third best DL on his Maryland team?  Or what about having zero talent on the team and being in desperate need of constructing a legit NFL roster and so using your early 1st round pick to get a "waterbug" running back.  Ahhhh, yes.  Original drafting.  Those were the days.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.