Giants signing Cole Beasley

dreadlox

19 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Beasley is polarizing with his commentary. I think he’s a tough competitor and productive if given the opportunities. We were able to maximize his abilities and now he.can move on to the twilight of his career, We are on the precipice of presenting an offense that teams will not be able to defend.. The TEs and RBs are perfect for our quick  release, strong armed QB. Our receivers are multidimensional with Diggs and Davis established as top notch and Shakir, Sherfield and Hardy ready to provide speed and a vertical component. If our O -line comes together, and provides running lanes and good pass protection, look out.

.....my 55 years of Bills fandom has been hijacked by the word "if"....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

.....my 55 years of Bills fandom has been hijacked by the word "if"....

I assume your trepidation with the “if” as it relates to the O-line being dominant is shared by many. The new guards, McGovern and Torrence, with Edwards in the wings,have to be better than Saffold and Bates. You would think, Dion, Brown (with another year under his belt) and a former starter in Shell backing them up, should be at least as good as last year and our more physical rbs should provide better protection than Motor and the rookie, Cook. I am cautiously optimistic.

• Agree 1

I can’t understand the hatred for Beas.  Just because he had a different opinion about Covid than you did is a pretty lame reason to hate the the guy. There were many prominent people who had the same opinion as he did, including many in the medical field. For two seasons, he was an integral reason for Josh’s success. Best of luck Beas!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

With the new kick rules I could see guys like Beasley make the roster if teams decide they don't need a 5th/6th WR to be a special teams guy. May actually impact our roster with guys like Cam Lewis but not sure McD is ready to give up on that yet

McClappy is NOT an innovator.  he will ride the ST gig longer than it needs to be ridden.  Sadly.....

• Eyeroll 1

46 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

I can’t understand the hatred for Beas.  Just because he had a different opinion about Covid than you did is a pretty lame reason to hate the the guy. There were many prominent people who had the same opinion as he did, including many in the medical field. For two seasons, he was an integral reason for Josh’s success. Best of luck Beas!

that’s not the reason at all boss… good try.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Given the time to learn the scheme which he should know fairly well It wouldn't surprise me if he went there & did just what he did here & i for one am hoping he does just that and proves all the nay sayers wrong !! I bet there will be those on the Bills routing for him too .

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, T master said:

Given the time to learn the scheme which he should know fairly well It wouldn't surprise me if he went there & did just what he did here & i for one am hoping he does just that and proves all the nay sayers wrong !! I bet there will be those on the Bills routing for him too .

at age 34 it should surprise you if he puts up prime of his career performance. Him making the roster isn’t even a given. There’s an argument he’s WR8 for them going into camp.

Especially after a meaningful dip 2 years ago, and not being able to find a team last year… there’s no reason to think he’s more than injury insurance 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

at age 34 it should surprise you if he puts up prime of his career performance. Him making the roster isn’t even a given. 

Especially after a meaningful dip 2 years ago, and not being able to find a team last year. 

Agree'd -  usually at his age most are considered done or the NFL just puts them out to pasture . That or just the influx of young talent coming in that will play longer & for less money is a huge consideration when it comes to the cap too .

I feel the reason he couldn't find a team was more to do with his outspoken opinion calling out the NFL than his lack of ability or his skills taking a dive . But that's just me . 

The Giants QB sure isn't Josh either so there is that plus he has to build chemistry with him & that is something that he & Josh already had so it will definitely be a up hill climb for him but i always pull for the under dog so i'll be routing for him .

On 7/21/2023 at 1:59 PM, billsfan89 said:

I thought Beasley looked like he had something left in the tank after his brief run with the team last year. Maybe he isn't going to be the slot machine he once was but as competition for your WR 5/6 slot you could do worse. It also may help the Giants to have a vet WR mentor some of their younger WR's. Not sure if Beasley will make their final roster they have Paris Campbell, Hodgins, 2022 second-round pick Wan'Dale Robinson and a 2023 3rd round pick in Jalin Hyatt who are likely "locks" to make the roster. Then on the bubble you have Crowder and Sterling Sheppard both of whom are a bit younger than Beasley and both of whom will be competing for roster spots as well as some other younger lesser-known players also competing to take a spot at WR 5/6. Adding Beasley in there certainly gives them some options but likely Beasley is competing with Crowder and Sterling Sheppard for one spot. 

Still glad to see that Beasley is getting a chance and likely will either get offered a spot on the PS if he does decently or will be at the top of the list for an injury signing in season if he shows that he still has something in camp/pre-season. 

I actually thought Beasley looked painfully slow during games at the end of 2021 and the limited action in 2022.  But, possibly he was suffering from lingering effects of playing on a broken leg (2020) and with broken ribs (2021) and will have healed up and returned to form.

The Giants could probably have used him last year, but I think 1) he wanted more $$ and 2) he said "I don't want to go to NY."  So maybe this off-season he has a more realistic assessment of the interest teams have in him (low) and his value (probably vet min).

The competition for Beasley is likely to be Parris Campbell, Wan'Dale Robinson, and FA signing Jamison Crowder.  Campbell was primarily a slot receiver with the Ponies.  He signed a 1 year, $4.7M contract with $2.9M guaranteed, so that kind of gives him an edge in that race - although, some Giants media are saying he'll see reps at RB in camp? (?!!!!).  Crowder is on a vet salary benefit contract with $52k in workout and signing bonuses.

I would expect Beasley to be on a similar VSB contract with little guaranteed, and that both of them won't make it.  The fact that Wan'Dale Robinson is this Giants regimes 2nd round pick, and that Campbell has $2.9 guaranteed if you cut him or don't, would probably give them the leg(s) up.

I could be wrong but I see Hyatt, Sheppard, and Hodgins as their outside WR.

I'm not sure Beasley wants to be on a practice squad through the season.

Edited by Beck Water

3 hours ago, tomur67 said:

For me, it wasn't that he had a different take on Covid. It's that he talked about which caused division, and  that it was detrimental to the team. I know players sometimes have different opinions about injuries and treatment or playing through them, which he did. He just should have shut up.

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

11 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

You are mistaken.

covid was just an opportunity for him to be a dramatic distraction. 

he has said numerous times social media is bad for him and he should stay off it, as an example of him being dysfunctional in that regard. 

it was about the approach he took, not his specific medical hot takes 

had it been covid only we could roll today but he is still the same human who can’t help himself in attention seeking

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

On 7/21/2023 at 2:59 PM, billsfan89 said:

I thought Beasley looked like he had something left in the tank after his brief run with the team last year. Maybe he isn't going to be the slot machine he once was but as competition for your WR 5/6 slot you could do worse. It also may help the Giants to have a vet WR mentor some of their younger WR's. Not sure if Beasley will make their final roster they have Paris Campbell, Hodgins, 2022 second-round pick Wan'Dale Robinson and a 2023 3rd round pick in Jalin Hyatt who are likely "locks" to make the roster. Then on the bubble you have Crowder and Sterling Sheppard both of whom are a bit younger than Beasley and both of whom will be competing for roster spots as well as some other younger lesser-known players also competing to take a spot at WR 5/6. Adding Beasley in there certainly gives them some options but likely Beasley is competing with Crowder and Sterling Sheppard for one spot. 

Still glad to see that Beasley is getting a chance and likely will either get offered a spot on the PS if he does decently or will be at the top of the list for an injury signing in season if he shows that he still has something in camp/pre-season. 

Not being facetious here, but how did he show he had something left in the tank?  

When he signed with Tampa he caught 2 very short passes in the 2 game he played.  

Once he signed with Buffalo, the only catch of relevance he made was the nice catch and run against Miami.   But he also failed to make a challenging, but not impossible catch versus Cincinnati.    I think we were all hoping he’d make an impact last winter, but it never really happened.  

I think Beasley can still find the soft spots in a defense as good as any slot WR.  I do wonder if he still can do it physically.  There was questions about it before last season, and nothing I watched changed this 

• Like (+1) 2

I appreciate Beasleys accomplishments for two years here that were outstanding and integral to their success.  I also appreciate that in 2021 he looked on the decline and they were right to move in from him, especially given his continued distraction.  He made one significant play in his redux here last year and other than that was immaterial to detrimental.  Even given his less than stellar showing in limited action here he could not help himself in trashing the Bills this offseason.  I could not care less what happens to him at this point.  Good luck to the Giants.  One advantage I suppose is is that Daniel Jones’ effective range of about 4 yards from scrimmage fits in with Beasleys geriatric skill set quite well.

• Haha (+1) 1

the giants have two wr returning from injuries and will be brought along slowly in camp.  beasley is just a body to get them through camp and robinson and shepard are healthy i imagine.

beasley looked done last time he played.

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

I appreciate Beasleys accomplishments for two years here that were outstanding and integral to their success.  I also appreciate that in 2021 he looked on the decline and they were right to move in from him, especially given his continued distraction.  He made one significant play in his redux here last year and other than that was immaterial to detrimental.  Even given his less than stellar showing in limited action here he could not help himself in trashing the Bills this offseason.  I could not care less what happens to him at this point.  Good luck to the Giants.  One advantage I suppose is is that Daniel Jones’ effective range of about 4 yards from scrimmage fits in with Beasleys geriatric skill set quite well.

jones throws a great deep ball.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

That may be, but his 6.8 yards per attempt in 2022, good for 24th in the league, would argue against the effectiveness of that ability.  Cole Beasley will not help that stat, which is the point.  

On 7/22/2023 at 6:01 PM, tomur67 said:

I’ve liked all Bills players, until they start talking a lot, but then again that’s how I feel about most people in general, 😁👍

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/21/2023 at 11:40 PM, Fan in Chicago said:

Good for him but he can't play any more. The Giants signed him but that doesn't mean he is a big part of their plans. This will be his last gasp and will be out of the league after that

I feel like he made some plays down the stretch. Had a TD against the Fins in the playoffs. I think he could be a decent backup slot.

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

That may be, but his 6.8 yards per attempt in 2022, good for 24th in the league, would argue against the effectiveness of that ability.  Cole Beasley will not help that stat, which is the point.  

again I think beasley is there to get them through the summer.  They have their guys pretty set when healthy.  Wan'dale Robinson looked pretty good before being injured last year.  They have two good tight ends and a rookie with big play potential.  They have two good inside guys in shepard and robinson.  They have campbell,slayton hodgins outside and rookie Jalin Hyatt.

Jones was excellent in a road playoff win with the worst group of weapons of all the playoff teams.  They have upgraded those weapons.  As soon as barkley signs his deal which I imagine will be the first week of the season causing him to miss a few games before being ready they should have a good team.

Jones gets all kinds of grief but I would love to have seen some other qb's try and succeed in the environment he has been in.  Bad coaches, terrible line and below average weapons.

or as you said...something about yards per attempt I guess...

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

again I think beasley is there to get them through the summer.  They have their guys pretty set when healthy.  Wan'dale Robinson looked pretty good before being injured last year.  They have two good tight ends and a rookie with big play potential.  They have two good inside guys in shepard and robinson.  They have campbell,slayton hodgins outside and rookie Jalin Hyatt.

Jones was excellent in a road playoff win with the worst group of weapons of all the playoff teams.  They have upgraded those weapons.  As soon as barkley signs his deal which I imagine will be the first week of the season causing him to miss a few games before being ready they should have a good team.

Jones gets all kinds of grief but I would love to have seen some other qb's try and succeed in the environment he has been in.  Bad coaches, terrible line and below average weapons.

or as you said...something about yards per attempt I guess...

I am not writing the guy off. Second year in a system with decent coaching and better weapons, we’ll see.   I am writing Beasley off though. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

I am not writing the guy off. Second year in a system with decent coaching and better weapons, we’ll see.   I am writing Beasley off though. 

I’ll stress again, he just signed a contract to be WR8 on their depth chart.

neither he nor the giants think he’s a starter 

it’s amazing some posters think otherwise 

Edited by NoSaint

On 7/22/2023 at 6:48 PM, NoSaint said:

that’s not the reason at all boss… good try.

Yeah this @tomur67 clown keeps popping up just to whine about Beasley being a victim.    Beasley is just a wannabe influencer whose talents hadn't garnered him the attention he craved........the situation gave him a platform........and he put that ahead of team goals.    Which is all fans ultimately care about.  Gabe Davis had the same stance and nobody cares(or in most cases even remembers) because he didn't make a spectacle of himself, run up $100K+ in protocol fines,  subsequently perform well below expectations as he raged and just appeared to be an obvious distraction to a team that underachieved greatly.    

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I guess you don't understand too much about what you read, because I never whined about Beasley being victimized. I said people like you are making a mountain out of a molehill.   Beasley was a distraction to some "fans" , but not to his teammates.  If you think what Beasley did was that bad and a detriment to the team,  you must really hate Diggs.

Yeah this @tomur67 clown keeps popping up just to whine about Beasley being a victim.    Beasley is just a wannabe influencer whose talents hadn't garnered him the attention he craved........the situation gave him a platform........and he put that ahead of team goals.    Which is all fans ultimately care about.  Gabe Davis had the same stance and nobody cares(or in most cases even remembers) because he didn't make a spectacle of himself, run up $100K+ in protocol fines,  subsequently perform well below expectations as he raged and just appeared to be an obvious distraction to a team that underachieved greatly.    

• Agree 1

On 7/22/2023 at 6:05 PM, T master said:

While I'm sure Daboll has his inputs, it's worth noting that the Giants OC is Mike Kafka, previously QB coach of the KC Chiefs.

I don't think Kafka left KC and came to NY to be Daboll's "dingleberry", an OC in name only, so....

...how certain are we that the Giants are, in fact, running a variation of the same offense Daboll ran in Buffalo, vs. something more akin to what Reid/Bienemy/Kafka ran in KC?

As long as they're not playing us, I'm happy for Beasley to succeed, but I think it's unlikely he'll "do just what he did here" as far as productivity.  Father Time is undefeated, and Beasley is 34 years old.

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree with the point that there were many players who did not choose to get vaccinated, including Gabe Davis and a number of others (I knew them all at one point, but consistant with what you say, can't remember), and attracted no fan ire because they kept a private medical choice private, and, as you say "didn't make a spectacle" of themselves. 

That said, I'm somewhat puzzled by the "team that underachieved greatly" claim about the 2021 Bills. 

#3 offense, #1 defense, 11-6, and came literally within seconds of a 2nd trip to the AFC Championship isn't most people's idea of "underachieved greatly". 

And Beasley had some pretty clutch contributions at the end of the season, including 6 receptions/8 targets for 60 yards in the 13 second Division round loss.

• Thank you (+1) 2

23 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

the giants have two wr returning from injuries and will be brought along slowly in camp.  beasley is just a body to get them through camp and robinson and shepard are healthy i imagine.

beasley looked done last time he played.

I too, thought Beasley looked done in both Tampa and with the Bills.  It seemed like he was not able to get to his spot as the play demanded.

Not sure he's just a camp body.  Keep in mind the Giants signed Parris Campbell (several million) and Jameison Crowder (vet minimum), both healthy to start camp AFAIK.

I think they might want Beasley in a player/coach role and also to learn the system and build chemistry if needed in a "break glass in emergency" kind of role.

23 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Does he now?  Jones averaged 5.1 "completed air yards" per completion last season.  His receivers gained him 5.0 YAC/completion.

For context, that was 28th in the NFL.

I'm not saying that to dunk on "Danny Dimes", but it may not be an accident that his completion % rose to 5th in the league and his INT% fell to 1st in the league, the same year his intended air yards and his completed air yards both fell to career lows by 0.8 and 0.6 yards respectively.  Maybe he was told "do what you can do well"

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I agree with the point that there were many players who did not choose to get vaccinated, including Gabe Davis and a number of others (I knew them all at one point, but consistant with what you say, can't remember), and attracted no fan ire because they kept a private medical choice private, and, as you say "didn't make a spectacle" of themselves. 

That said, I'm somewhat puzzled by the "team that underachieved greatly" claim about the 2021 Bills. 

#3 offense, #1 defense, 11-6, and came literally within seconds of a 2nd trip to the AFC Championship isn't most people's idea of "underachieved greatly". 

And Beasley had some pretty clutch contributions at the end of the season, including 6 receptions/8 targets for 60 yards in the 13 second Division round loss.

7-6 thru 13 games wasn't underachieving greatly?

Along the way they lost to the worst team in the NFL and lost to 3 clearly inferior teams at home.........they were wildly inconsistent for a team that was expected to be a top 2 seed.    

I've said it before........because the Bills finished the season strong on offense people forget that their offense laid a bunch of eggs and it cost them.    That team should have won 14 or 15 games with that schedule and won the SB.    Instead they were on the road in the divisional playoffs and didn't reach a championship round.......just a "loud out" also ran.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, tomur67 said:

Your attempt at a response is a good example of your agenda.    You have no idea how to post on this board........you don't know how to type a response to something you quote.........you are just so compelled to talk about Beasley's opinion that you gotta' chime in and talk about it whenever his name is mentioned.    Talk about football related topics?   Nah, not you.    My point is clear........being prone to delusions as he may be........CB's opinion was not the problem.   The problem is that he's just an attention wh*re.   And he made his team of coaches and support staff,  who didn't make the rules,  babysit him all season and drew negative attention to the squad.  Getting attention is more important to him than football.   Stefon Diggs is high maintenance but he's football first.   That's what fans care about.      

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

REALLY difficult to poke holes in this particular comparison. Not sure I've seen it framed this concisely.

23 hours ago, Beck Water said:

While I'm sure Daboll has his inputs, it's worth noting that the Giants OC is Mike Kafka, previously QB coach of the KC Chiefs.

I don't think Kafka left KC and came to NY to be Daboll's "dingleberry", an OC in name only, so....

...how certain are we that the Giants are, in fact, running a variation of the same offense Daboll ran in Buffalo, vs. something more akin to what Reid/Bienemy/Kafka ran in KC?

As long as they're not playing us, I'm happy for Beasley to succeed, but I think it's unlikely he'll "do just what he did here" as far as productivity.  Father Time is undefeated, and Beasley is 34 years old.

Time & a QB not named Josh Allen .

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Beas, 4 targets, 4 receptions and tied for the lead in receptions game 1. 

Going back to many earlier points, it is the combination of Beasley and Dabol that is going to likely make this work for the Giants.

Interesting, thats a really thin WR room. Davis would be the clear wr1 there.

I mean he was good off the couch w Dorsey. He doesn't rely on speed, just getting to soft spots in zone. I think Buf just wanted more explosiveness from the slot

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Going back to many earlier points, it is the combination of Beasley and Dabol that is going to likely make this work for the Giants.

Hey donuts, you may be right.  He’s definitely lost a step.  Most likely he’ll be good for 7 yard quick out passes, but not much after the catch.

That will help the Giants keep the sticks moving.  He’s reliable and has sure hands.  He’s just lost the athleticism he once had at a younger age.  This isn’t me banging on the guy.  The Giants need bandaids to keep in the hunt in the NFCE.

It makes sense for Dabbs.  Since he and Schoen went there, I’ve become a small Giants supporter.  Nothing like the Bills, but I want them to succeed.  I’m still hopeful we beat them in October, but confident this may be Von’s first game and you know he’ll have a big game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

That's a really solid stat line for a preseason game...however in this case it feels like more information is needed.

For instance, being preseason was he with the 1s working against 1s and 2s from the Lions? Did he do his damage against late in the game going against those the general public like to say are headed for grocery clerk status? How deep into the game did he play? 

I ask not to bash but because I didn't catch the game and don't know the answer. However usage and level of opponent really comes into play during the preseason as well.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.