Bills red helmet throwbacks incoming? 2023 NFL throwback uniform news

loyal2dagame

2 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Of course they’re gonna wear them in Houston 🙄

Not in Houston. It's a home game but they shouldn't be wearing them against the Texans. Truth is the Texans are the ones who should be allowed to wear the Oilers throwbacks. After all they are Houston's football team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

• loyal2dagame changed the title to Bills red helmet throwbacks incoming? 2023 NFL throwback uniform news

No Buffalo Bills red helmets for 2023. I am not surprised the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres aren’t run in a first class way like the Buffalo Bisons as an example. PSE has been trouble for 12 plus years nothing but controversy and missteps bumbling along yearly begging for public funds yet can’t give the Buffalo Bills fans a red helmet clueless ownership. Meanwhile the Buffalo Bisons upgraded there stadium privately and they have great new fun things for the Buffalo Bisons fans. Look at the Buffalo Bisons all kinds of uniforms and hats that are focused on our Western New York community and heritage than look at the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres low hanging fruit sell the teams PSE. There is no defending this no excuse just made up crap from a lazy out of touch organization and owner. The Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres are nothing more than a rich guys tax write off sell the teams PSE in my opinion. Go Bisons! Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Sal C tweeted today that there will be no red helmet and Kelly-era throwbacks this year. Disappointing 😕.

IMG_8502.jpeg

More disappointed that the all red uniforms are coming back again.

Are they doing the all blues again as the primary?  I hope not. 

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

More disappointed that the all red uniforms are coming back again.

Are they doing the all blues again as the primary?  I hope not. 

all reds are really bad. Don't get why it's a thing. 

• Agree 2

I can’t remember in this thread or another, but Sal tweeted out, the Bills internally are not moving towards the red helmet this year.  That’s too bad as I kind of liked Josh in the red helmet and jersey over white pants.

I know the old argument they would lol like the Pats from the 80’s, or even the Chiefs, but I’d be fine with a throwback Thursday.  I loved that idea from Trapasso to have the league all do it.  He’ll, the NFL would make $ with more jersey sales.  NFL fans are suckers for more swag (myself included at times).

On 7/30/2023 at 9:11 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

All these other teams doing cool things with old uniforms. I don’t understand why we wouldn’t? If theirs one fanbase that would eat that up, it’s is. Seems like an easy PR win that we are just fumbling here.

I don’t think there is a single Bills fan making the determination whether to watch them on TV, or attend a game, based upon what helmet they wear.  There’s no revenue in retro helmets, and the Bills jerseys of the 90s are so similar to today’s that people aren’t going to buy them either.

The sole change I would like to see is the elimination of the red combo…but people buy those red jerseys so…

• Like (+1) 5

28 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sal C already said it's not happening this year sadly 

The NFL would be smart to have every team wear throwbacks 3-4 games per season and an alternate once

Or, just let the fans vote on what uniforms they want each team to wear? 

If I had a vote, I would lose the all reds and blues. Keep every other uniform combo but I would bring back the throwbacks both blue over white and all white. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sal C already said it's not happening this year sadly 

The NFL would be smart to have every team wear throwbacks 3-4 games per season and an alternate once

Or, just let the fans vote on what uniforms they want each team to wear? 

So the issue with fan votes, crazy amount of throwbacks etc.. is the loss of identity a team can have and the safety piece with the multiple helmets. I understand fans liking multiple looks and it certainly is good to an extent, but their becomes a point where it goes too far. I have appreciated that the Pegula's with both teams (Sabres took a little longer to get back to where they should've) have kept the same look and not really done anything too wild. Some of the best looks in the NFL are teams that really have not gone too wild like Green Bay Pittsburgh etc.. Atlanta is an example of what happens when you can't find a consistent look and keep going for trendy over solid. I do think the Bills are missing an opportunity revenue wise and fan wise by not doing the red helmet yet, but the league also drags its feet to the point doing a change can take 2-3 years from the moment its approved for even an alternate. So it is very possible the Bills do have a red helmet in the works and it literally is a time crunch. I have personally felt their current look is superior to everything and doing the AFL throwback 2 times a year is enough. If they add the 90s red for a game or two also, then great but I am happy that they have a consistently good look and have avoided the dreaded revision "upgrade" some teams drift to.

Helmet wise even though the NFL has approved two helmets now, inventory is still an issue for teams and I have to imagine some teams are skittish to have two helmets with all the head injury issues. Add in the injury with Hamlin last year and I can easily see the Bills punting to another year before going down that road. Some may say that is small potatoes, but between Hamlin and then Pegula's wife the organization has dealt with some major medical issues across the board and I can understand not wanting to press on something the league just got back into.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

Helmet wise even though the NFL has approved two helmets now, inventory is still an issue for teams and I have to imagine some teams are skittish to have two helmets with all the head injury issues. Add in the injury with Hamlin last year and I can easily see the Bills punting to another year before going down that road. Some may say that is small potatoes, but between Hamlin and then Pegula's wife the organization has dealt with some major medical issues across the board and I can understand not wanting to press on something the league just got back into.

There is not one helmet for a team - players can choose from a list by standard four prominent helmet manufacturers in the NFL (Riddell, Schutt, VICIS, and Xenith).  VICIS who is newest approved manufacture has been an innovative maker who was having financial issues a few years ago but seemed to have recovered.

There are better helmets than the four standard brands but NFL and NFLPA are very resistant to add new manufacturers.

Official testing results and list:

https://www.nfl.com/playerhealthandsafety/equipment-and-innovation/equipment-testing/helmet-laboratory-testing-performance-results

https://static.www.nfl.com/image/upload/v1681310780/league/kolarozeolaw53tmq37z.pdf

Here is the list of top performing helmets from NFL locker room poster (you can find original in PDF File):

2023-NFL-Helmets.png

• Like (+1) 1

90's throwbacks with red helmets would be cool to see, for sure!

Generally, I like the throwbacks that teams have, but I would hate to see teams end up having a handful of different uniforms and color schemes that they constantly shuffle between. Tampa's throwbacks are awesome! I have no idea why they ever changed. They were unique. 

Plus every team doesn't need a black uniform when it's not in their color scheme. The Cardinals and 49ers are the worst offenders in this. It's one thing if the Saints, Ravens, Falcons or Steelers do it, because it's part of the team colors already. When you're the Cardinals and your colors are red and white you don't need to copy Atlanta's uniforms.  

Edited by TheFunPolice

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

90's throwbacks with red helmets would be cool to see, for sure!

Generally, I like the throwbacks that teams have, but I would hate to see teams end up having a handful of different uniforms and color schemes that they constantly shuffle between. Tampa's throwbacks are awesome! I have no idea why they ever changed. They were unique. 

Plus every team doesn't need a black uniform when it's not in their color scheme. The Cardinals and 49ers are the worst offenders in this. It's one thing if the Saints, Ravens, Falcons or Steelers do it, because it's part of the team colors already. When you're the Cardinals and your colors are red and white you don't need to copy Atlanta's uniforms.  

Also, I'll say preemptively: get off my lawn! 

The one team that needs to go back to their old uniforms full time is Seattle. Those uniforms looked great. What they have now blows.

• Like (+1) 1

Carolina releases their entire uniform schedule for the year. It says week 3 at Seattle they will be wearing a dark color jersey. I think the Seahawks are the only team in the NFL who has never worn their white jersey at home. That is probably a mistake. 

kJJeEOC2?format=jpg&name=small

8 hours ago, eball said:

I don’t think there is a single Bills fan making the determination whether to watch them on TV, or attend a game, based upon what helmet they wear.  There’s no revenue in retro helmets, and the Bills jerseys of the 90s are so similar to today’s that people aren’t going to buy them either.

The sole change I would like to see is the elimination of the red combo…but people buy those red jerseys so…

i disagree w no revenue with throwback or alternate helmets. Collectors and fans buy them. Players sign many different types of helmets and are then sold too at high prices. I have seen Chrome, Black, Silver, and others not a team helmet color that players sign then NFL or collector sites sell. This is probably why Allen absolutely refuses to sign full size helmets. Might be contractedly not allowed to.

• Disagree 1

37 minutes ago, cba fan said:

i disagree w no revenue with throwback or alternate helmets. Collectors and fans buy them. Players sign many different types of helmets and are then sold too at high prices. I have seen Chrome, Black, Silver, and others not a team helmet color that players sign then NFL or collector sites sell. This is probably why Allen absolutely refuses to sign full size helmets. Might be contractedly not allowed to.

No “significant” revenue to the teams.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, eball said:

Keep them available in the store.  Folks will still buy them because some folks will buy anything different or new.  But the team doesn’t have to wear them for sales to keep going.  The red combo needs to be put away, especially if they are blocking  better uni combinations.

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

The one team that needs to go back to their old uniforms full time is Seattle. Those uniforms looked great. What they have now blows.

I actually dig their current unis but the throwbacks look better.  Often less  is more. Those unis pop.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, eball said:

Absolutely there is a revenue. You serious? You know how many 90s Josh Allen jerseys they’d sell in the first day they were available?

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Irv said:

That combo almost made me gouge my eyes out.  Yuck!

That combo would be good for a division 3 college football program or the XFL, USFL as that look screams minor league. Lose the all reds and blues and then the Bills have the perfect uniform combos. Every other look is good.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.