Kids in their 20s and Early 30---worse then the panhandlers on the street?

plenzmd1

I dunno.

I mean I could point out that the decisions of Baby Boomers and the politicians they routinely elected led to America being a place wherein most young couples working combined 80 hour work weeks at decent jobs still can't afford to buy a house, obtain decent medical insurance, or to save any meaningful amount of money, so they take up second jobs driving Uber or Lyft and STILL can't afford those things, and thus exist in a reality where things like weddings and unexpected veterinary bills lead to GoFundMe campaigns and fundraising efforts, and that the inability or unwillingness of those Baby Boomers -- who were able to buy two houses and two cars on the income from one factory job 45 years ago -- to empathize with this predicament, and their repeated insistence on harping on the laziness and entitlement of "kids today", is at least as annoying as what the OP describes -- if not more so. 

But I won't say any of that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Logic said:

I dunno.

I mean I could point out that the decisions of Baby Boomers and the politicians they routinely elected led to America being a place wherein most young couples working combined 80 hour work weeks at decent jobs still can't afford to buy a house, obtain decent medical insurance, or to save any meaningful amount of money, so they take up second jobs driving Uber or Lyft and STILL can't afford those things, and thus exist in a reality where things like weddings and unexpected veterinary bills lead to GoFundMe campaigns and fundraising efforts, and that the inability or unwillingness of those Baby Boomers -- who were able to buy two houses and two cars on the income from one factory job 45 years ago -- to empathize with this predicament, and their repeated insistence on harping on the laziness and entitlement of "kids today", is at least as annoying as what the OP describes -- if not more so. 

But you just did 😉

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I dunno.

I don't think it's the leaders... It's the failure of meritocracy and the fraud that it is.  The well off familyies are doing okay through the generations.  They always have

The leisure class aren't leaving at younger ages like they left generations ago... They are staying on and getting their kids set up.

FWIW... Another name for Millennial is "Echo Boomer" because they are echoing their Boomer parents  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I don't think it's the leaders... It's the failure of meritocracy and the fraud that it is.  The well off families are doing okay through the generations.  They always have

The leisure class aren't leaving at younger ages like they left generations ago... They are staying on and getting their kids set up.

FWIW... Another name for Millennial is "Echo Boomer" because they are echoing their Boomer parents  

Fun to read this thread.

I can view things from 2 different points of view. The argument/point that the Baby boomers have led us down this path in a lot of ways I can relate to....and the boomers can't/wont relate to some of the challenges young people go through I can see.  ON the OTHER HAND....

I'm pretty sure my daughter or no one she knows reads this forum so I can post this.  My wife and I like many others grew up in our 20's working 2 and sometimes 3 jobs.  When in college you work a full time job. Over the summer or right after college you work 2 or 3 jobs, 70-90 hours a week (at times) if you want to save up money to buy a home. I know not everyone did that but many did.  A few years ago our daughter was in her very early 20's.  My wife and I were watching a show on tv about  9 or 10pm and it was a comedy and we were laughing at it. Our daugher STORMED downstairs, angry look on her face, looked at us and said "Can you two BE QUIET?  I need to get sleep because my job is MAKING ME WORK over 40 hours this week!"  I think she worked something like 45 hours that week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/24/2023 at 5:00 PM, mjd1001 said:

Fun to read this thread.

I can view things from 2 different points of view. The argument/point that the Baby boomers have led us down this path in a lot of ways I can relate to....and the boomers can't/wont relate to some of the challenges young people go through I can see.  ON the OTHER HAND....

I'm pretty sure my daughter or no one she knows reads this forum so I can post this.  My wife and I like many others grew up in our 20's working 2 and sometimes 3 jobs.  When in college you work a full time job. Over the summer or right after college you work 2 or 3 jobs, 70-90 hours a week (at times) if you want to save up money to buy a home. I know not everyone did that but many did.  A few years ago our daughter was in her very early 20's.  My wife and I were watching a show on tv about  9 or 10pm and it was a comedy and we were laughing at it. Our daugher STORMED downstairs, angry look on her face, looked at us and said "Can you two BE QUIET?  I need to get sleep because my job is MAKING ME WORK over 40 hours this week!"  I think she worked something like 45 hours that week.

We went to a wedding this weekend and our now 30 year old son went golfing with a friend of ours, his best friend’s dad from high school years. Our son started his career as a CPA at one of the big accounting firms. He would have 45 hours inijmujmk,l./ by lunch on Wednesday, and there was nothing sacred about weekends. Chew them up, then spit them out. That is the routine. 

Anyway, our buddy asks him during golf what he learned from his parents. His answer was “work ethic”. Our friend knows us well and asked “both of them?”  😂 I’m retired and my wife is the only person I know who works as much and as hard as my son. He insisted it was both of us. Apparently, he’s either not as smart as we thought, or he’s a pretty good liar! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fr. Jerk said:

Kids in their 20s and 30s don't know streets, literally. 

Give them a map, and see if they can figure out how to use it and then get a good laugh when they try to fold it back up!   😋

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I ***** love maps.

I had a tennis buddy/bank client who had a store called The House Of Maps. I was in there and bought stuff (mostly MLS maps) but I’m glad he hit retirement when he did! 

Birthday parties

bah humbug

GIFT REQUIRED!

Don't get me started on Christmas

Seriously though life is expensive for the youth. The ones that don't waste their money on partying and gambling are up to their eyeballs in loans and trying to save enough to maybe avoid PMI and hopefully beat 15-20 offers on a house that is going to sell for $30k-$100k over the list price.

Edited by WEATHER DOT COM

College is a waste of money fo 50 % of the people that go will never use their education. 

you have to take classes that have nothing to do with the field of work that you want to get into. 

what happened to working up the ladder ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

On 7/12/2023 at 4:22 PM, Mr Info said:

Perhaps I am lucky. Our two boys in their mid-20s got married last year. None of those issues. I picked the place and they chose the attendees. Complete agreement with their brides on everything.

Even today I don't think siblings being married is generally accepted in today's society. You're a bit ahead of the curve I think. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mead107 said:

College is a waste of money fo 50 % of the people that go will never use their education. 

you have to take classes that have nothing to do with the field of work that you want to get into. 

This is shear idiocy.  I assume you don't hold an undergraduate degree.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mead107 said:

Do you want your surgeon to be a guy who worked his way up the ladder from janitor? Some jobs actually require specific knowledge. Some times just having the credentials is necessary to get considered for a position, even if the knowledge from your degree(s) and credentials are not directly linked to the specifics of the job. People want to hire the most qualified candidate, and that is part of the game, for better or worse. Just going the extra mile to improve yourself is appealing to employers. 

But yes, for most people college is just where you go to finish growing up. I mean, I am STILL working on that!

43 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What a touching response. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Do you want your surgeon to be a guy who worked his way up the ladder from janitor? Some jobs actually require specific knowledge. Some times just having the credentials is necessary to get considered for a position, even if the knowledge from your degree(s) and credentials are not directly linked to the specifics of the job. People want to hire the most qualified candidate, and that is part of the game, for better or worse. Just going the extra mile to improve yourself is appealing to employers. 

But yes, for most people college is just where you go to finish growing up. I mean, I am STILL working on that!

What a touching response. 

Doctors are in the 50% that should go. 

you could sign up  for MEAD college this fall. All  on line.  
0nly $87,000 for a year. Learn how to manage and run your own painting company. 

meadcoins not accepted. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Doctors are in the 50% that should go. 

you could sign up  for MEAD college this fall. All  on line.  
0nly $87,000 for a year. Learn how to manage and run your own painting company. 

meadcoins not accepted. 

Gee, that sounds like a good deal. Are you sure we can’t all pay in meadcoin? 

Seriously, my nephew has a VERY expensive and pretty prestigious art degree. Now he paints houses and does woodworking. He seems happy, and I don’t care how he got there. He LOVES working with his hands making beautiful things. Do what makes you happy! Now, was the degree a waste? There is no answering that as we don’t know how he might have turned out, so I’m 100% good with everything. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

The modern employer cares more about how the interviewee can use whatever their degree is plus additional learnt skills to excel at the job being applied for.

No degree is a waste. It makes one employable.

Not to quibble, but it helps improve employability. Not having one does not make one unemployable.  Sorry, picky there. 

Having said that, we have supported education at every step along the way. My wife got some money when her mom passed, and she said there is nothing her mother would rather support than education and a nice home for her grandkids. We would have done it anyway, but she liked the symbolism. 

• Like (+1) 1

He here is my quibble.

The other half is a food and bev manager at a hotel. She has to deal with all the weddings and events at the  banquet facilities and all of the employees 🙄.

So summers for her usually suck, so people send on average 100k there for there 5 1/2 hour dinner. 

Plus open bar 

Plus flowers

Plus wedding photography and videos.

To high end couples whose parents are loaded said Wie will give you 250k Plus pay for the honeymoon to not have a big wedding. They choose the wedding 💑.  My other half almost thru them out of her office because they could not agree after 3 months of planning what type of food to have served.

I advertised in the bridal book for over 8 years it is pricey but always got my money back in triple.  Knew all the scams wedding planers would pull so I started doing it for people and saved on average 15k per couple.

Surprising how much a photographer costs if you rent them for the half day and don't say it is for a wedding.  And you can get a bartender for a couple hundred and buy the liquor yourself and save on average 6k.

34 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Speaking of sheer idiocy …

Always nice to see the Grammar Nazi hoisted by their own petard.  The educators at 845 Kenmore Avenue must be wondering how that one left with so much hubris in him. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/4/2023 at 2:54 PM, Nextmanup said:

I actually agree with what he said that for many a college degree is a waste. Well, not totally but it certainly isn't idiocy. It depends on the situation.

Myself and a very close relative have college degrees and both of our jobs have zero to do with what we studied, and honestly it isn't even having 'a degree' that was an experiene that helped us.  He ended up having his company send him to school 'along the way' to take a class here and a class there, at their expense.

Another 2nd cousin I have got a full engineering degree and then decided he wanted nothing to do with it and got a civil service job that didn't reuquire a degree. He put himself though 4 years of school because it was 'expected' of him.

Even my wife had a 4 year degee, lost her job and was unemployed for a while....started a new career in a different field and worked her way back up through the industry and is now doing better than she was with her oringinal job with her degree.

Again, it isn't a universal truth for eveyone either way. But I know plenty of people who were/are successful without a degree (or at least the degree they ended up getting) and I know more than a few young people now approaching 30 years of age that are still strugging with huge debt loads becuase of school that wished they would have gotten a job and worked up through it instead of college.

• Like (+1) 1

please people...let's not get into the education isn't worth it idea.  learning in any capacity is always worth it.  getting yourself into debt and not having a plan to get out is not worth it.  if you're paying for a degree...have focus.  i know it's hard for kids to know what they want to do, but if you're majoring in history, and don't have plans to go on...figure it out.  same with philosophy, same with psych, etc.   if what you want to do  for a living doesn't require a degree, don't go to college for the sake of going.  those days are over.  the years of spending a 5th or 6th year in college should also be over.    i'm 45 and as of now i still have about 55k in school dept.  it was the best debt i've ever taken on, and i'd do it again in a heart beat. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/8/2023 at 9:10 AM, mjd1001 said:

I actually agree with what he said that for many a college degree is a waste. Well, not totally but it certainly isn't idiocy. It depends on the situation.

Myself and a very close relative have college degrees and both of our jobs have zero to do with what we studied, and honestly it isn't even having 'a degree' that was an experiene that helped us.  He ended up having his company send him to school 'along the way' to take a class here and a class there, at their expense.

Another 2nd cousin I have got a full engineering degree and then decided he wanted nothing to do with it and got a civil service job that didn't reuquire a degree. He put himself though 4 years of school because it was 'expected' of him.

Even my wife had a 4 year degee, lost her job and was unemployed for a while....started a new career in a different field and worked her way back up through the industry and is now doing better than she was with her oringinal job with her degree.

Again, it isn't a universal truth for eveyone either way. But I know plenty of people who were/are successful without a degree (or at least the degree they ended up getting) and I know more than a few young people now approaching 30 years of age that are still strugging with huge debt loads becuase of school that wished they would have gotten a job and worked up through it instead of college.

I'm sure your crew had a great time in college.  Other people knew what they wanted to do going in, and others used the general ed time to figure out what would thrill them going forward.  

Myself, I adjusted my major twice before settling in.  Many of the people I graduated with stuck to it as well.  (Communications- film department, and you've likely seen my work somewhere along the way.)

I'll never understand why some people try to discourage other people from exploring life. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/12/2023 at 2:31 PM, plenzmd1 said:

I mean, wtf has happened to our youth?

Man, they think they deserve a freaking handout for every life event now

Getting married?

Let's have an engagement party so people can bring gifts.

Not a bachelor party with some golf, poker and a stripper...has to be a freaking weekend away with your wedding party! Don't worry, they aint gunna pay for, gonna invite all my lesser friends and family to a "stag" party to cover the expense.

Course there has to be a wedding shower in there as well, with gifts required

Wedding week? Let's have rehearsal dinners that run 50 people deep, photos all over gods creation, buses , who cares...they aint paying for it. Gotta be better than Betty's was and show the best on the Gram!

Now, we having a baby...a shower is not good enough anymore ...now there's a freaking diaper party,  for the fellas only , so as not to hurt the poor young couple with the burden of actually  buying diapers for the youngin.

Screw it, I am opting out of all this madness..you want to get married, PAY FOR IT! AlL of it

You want to have a kid? PAY FOR IT..all of it

Damn hustlers is all they are!

ehat about the elaborate proposaks and gender VRE eal parties….

On 8/2/2023 at 12:48 PM, Augie said:

Give them a map, and see if they can figure out how to use it and then get a good laugh when they try to fold it back up!   😋

Mea culpa that this reply comes 2+ weeks from your post.

My 7th grade social studies teacher devoted extensive time to map folding. We got graded on it and there was extra credit if you could fold your map with one hand. He considered it a life skill. I considered it a waste of time - perhaps because I sucked at map folding

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/12/2023 at 2:31 PM, plenzmd1 said:

I mean, wtf has happened to our youth?

Man, they think they deserve a freaking handout for every life event now

Getting married?

Let's have an engagement party so people can bring gifts.

Not a bachelor party with some golf, poker and a stripper...has to be a freaking weekend away with your wedding party! Don't worry, they aint gunna pay for, gonna invite all my lesser friends and family to a "stag" party to cover the expense.

Course there has to be a wedding shower in there as well, with gifts required

Wedding week? Let's have rehearsal dinners that run 50 people deep, photos all over gods creation, buses , who cares...they aint paying for it. Gotta be better than Betty's was and show the best on the Gram!

Now, we having a baby...a shower is not good enough anymore ...now there's a freaking diaper party,  for the fellas only , so as not to hurt the poor young couple with the burden of actually  buying diapers for the youngin.

Screw it, I am opting out of all this madness..you want to get married, PAY FOR IT! AlL of it

You want to have a kid? PAY FOR IT..all of it

Damn hustlers is all they are!

Sounds like you have a sad life.

i saw a young girl on her way to college this weekend.  how did i know she was on her way to college?  she had it written on the back window.   it was written that she was driving x number of miles (i think it was over 1200) to go to school, which i'd guess was syracuse based on the orange drawn in and she was heading east on the 90.  

also written down was her venmo so you could send her money to help.  that was gross.  she is a young girl driving a new kia, going to a good school.  to ask others for money is tacky.  i don't know if her parents saw that before she left, but as a dad i would have no part of that.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, teef said:

i saw a young girl on her way to college this weekend.  how did i know she was on her way to college?  she had it written on the back window.   it was written that she was driving x number of miles (i think it was over 1200) to go to school, which i'd guess was syracuse based on the orange drawn in and she was heading east on the 90.  

also written down was her venmo so you could send her money to help.  that was gross.  she is a young girl driving a new kia, going to a good school.  to ask others for money is tacky.  i don't know if her parents saw that before she left, but as a dad i would have no part of that.

Have seen a lot of these for weddings, bachelorette parties, etc. “Buy the bride to be a drink” with corresponding venmo. Want to 🤮 every time I see one but also kind of want to either venmo them like 2 cents or perhaps even request money from them. 

53 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Have seen a lot of these for weddings, bachelorette parties, etc. “Buy the bride to be a drink” with corresponding venmo. Want to 🤮 every time I see one but also kind of want to either venmo them like 2 cents or perhaps even request money from them. 

it's funny.  as soon as i saw that my first instinct was to mess with that girl, but ultimately it would just be a waste of time. 

On 8/20/2023 at 1:07 PM, boater said:

I gave my daughter cash to elope. I evaded all those wallet raids. Best investment I ever made.

Both families gave our son and DIL the same amount of money before they got married. We let them decide if they wanted to have a huge open bar bash for all of their friends, or if they wanted to have a nice down payment on a house.

The DIL is a former wedding planner and knew all the tricks to keep the cost down while still having a lovely event. One thing she was adamant about was spending more on the band and less on the food. Nobody remembers the food, but everybody remembers the party that breaks out when the band get rolling. 

Either way, their life, their choice. Let them learn to live with their own decisions. 

2 hours ago, teef said:

My father in law learned his son could get financial benefit in med school if he checked an ethnic box. He absolutely refused to have any part of that. He was not accepting handouts for nothing. I admired that, and wonder what I would have done. Probably save on the tuition, but I want no part of panhandling by making a billboard out of a car. The first time I saw that it was kids on their way to spring break, and they were honest about it. It did make me chuckle. 

Speaking of which, we saw a guy on the sidewalk in NYC with a sign that said “Let’s be serious, I need weed money!”  😂 

44 minutes ago, Augie said:

My father in law learned his son could get financial benefit in med school if he checked an ethnic box. He absolutely refused to have any part of that. He was not accepting handouts for nothing. I admired that, and wonder what I would have done. Probably save on the tuition, but I want no part of panhandling by making a billboard out of a car. The first time I saw that it was kids on their way to spring break, and they were honest about it. It did make me chuckle. 

Speaking of which, we saw a guy on the sidewalk in NYC with a sign that said “Let’s be serious, I need weed money!”  😂 

i think i absolutely would have taken the financial break for tuition.  if he can check that box you check it...especially in grad programs.  

and as strange as this sounds, i'd be far more likely to throw a few bucks to kids on spring break to have a beer than the girl going to college.  i don't know why, but one strikes me as more innocent.

On 8/23/2023 at 9:12 AM, teef said:

That money is going to alcohol that's going to get her in the mood to please another dude.  You would be paying for another man to get an O.  

You're not doing it for her, you're doing it for him.  Have a heart.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.