Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

On 1/12/2024 at 7:46 PM, SoCal Deek said:

I’m dying to find out how you expect them to support a glass roof spanning an entire football field. 

Like a circus tent. Poles on the field at say the 20 on each side and the 50 should be fine.

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

Would the new stadium have prevented this game from getting postponed?

Uh, no. And neither would a dome.

Why the hell are we still talking about a dome here? Jesus says, open air is how football was intended to be played. You will be protected in the new stadium as best you can be thanks to modern engineering. But it will still be an open air stadium. As it should be. Thank You.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Thanks…

a few small issues I have in the article….

1. NFL scheduling factors into things other stadium events planned.  Seattle, Baltimore, Kansas City, Dallas, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh all have neighboring football/ baseball stadiums.  Nashville, indy, others have football stadium near nhl/ nba arena.  These sites share parking.  Houston and other stadiums have regular annual events like stste football chsmpionships or other events/ festivals.

2.  Concerts don’t do tours dec-March other than some special planned events. Running stadium tours has staffing. Summer stadium tours will do northern locations may- sept then gradually work doen and do I-10 coordoor site in nov/ December. Some tours might do schedules to hit northern dome stadiums.

3. putting a dome on—- the cost vs what you can do.  If you know you could just a SB, a few final 4, host a polival convention or other large events like national soccer matches and world cups.

4. as for the hotels— that analysis is garbage.  You have to compare apples to apples.  In the east markets are smaller because there are more tc markets.  For example look at seattle ( I’ve lived there) .  Seattle metr stretches from olympia-Tacoma -Seattle-Everett-Bellingham south to north. It’s narrow because of water bodies and mountains.  An equivalence to buffalo would be to talk about the population from Hamilton thru metro Rochester following 90/Q.  The  population is 4M+with hotel rooms.

As a Buffalonian I have a major problem with Buffalo can’t afford a dome stadium because we are too poor yet lowly Syracuse has had a dome stadium for 40 plus years and New York State helped pay for a private school not even part of SUNY. While both our football teams the Buffalo Bills and UB Bulls have crapy outdoor stadiums from another time with cost cutting and savings. We are the second largest city in this state. Regardless of what some on this board want to believe the money was there and Buffalo chose a half a loaf instead of the whole loaf. We saw it over and over with both Pilot Field and Key Bank Center with half the elevators cut from the final design. And Buffalo paid the price with major delays with the elevators for the disabled which I happen to be a disabled fan. Buffalo Bills fans shouldn’t be silence for telling it like it is. The story was made up about no money for a dome and Orchard Park was the only logical place. Just admit it folks we were all lied too. I am ok with the new Bills stadium but I am not ok with the parroting talking points of the Bills and our political leaders that flat out lied to this community. While New York City has spared no expense for the new Islanders arena, the Nets arena, New York City FC new soccer specific stadium, two ball parks for the Yankees, Mets, the dome over the US Open Tennis Center and the total renovation of Belmont Park where the final length of the Horse Racing triple crown is held just to name a few. Mean while in Buffalo we are cutting cost on a 50 year project of a new Bills stadium and of course UB Stadium still has a track around it only one other FBS stadium in country is left after UB Stadium that has a track around the football field along with a lite brite scoreboard from another time. But all is wonderful, wonderful in Western New York sports land in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Vomit 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

As a Buffalonian I have a major problem with Buffalo can’t afford a dome stadium because we are too poor yet lowly Syracuse has had a dome stadium for 40 plus years and New York State helped pay for a private school not even part of SUNY. While both our football teams the Buffalo Bills and UB Bulls have crapy outdoor stadiums from another time with cost cutting and savings. We are the second largest city in this state. Regardless of what some on this board want to believe the money was there and Buffalo chose a half a loaf instead of the whole loaf. We saw it over and over with both Pilot Field and Key Bank Center with half the elevators cut from the final design. And Buffalo paid the price with major delays with the elevators for the disabled which I happen to be a disabled fan. Buffalo Bills fans shouldn’t be silence for telling it like it is. The story was made up about no money for a dome and Orchard Park was the only logical place. Just admit it folks we were all lied too. I am ok with the new Bills stadium but I am not ok with the parroting talking points of the Bills and our political leaders that flat out lied to this community. While New York City has spared no expense for the new Islanders arena, the Nets arena, New York City FC new soccer specific stadium, two ball parks for the Yankees, Mets, the dome over the US Open Tennis Center and the total renovation of Belmont Park where the final length of the Horse Racing triple crown is held just to name a few. Mean while in Buffalo we are cutting cost on a 50 year project of a new Bills stadium and of course UB Stadium still has a track around it only one other FBS stadium in country is left after UB Stadium that has a track around the football field along with a lite brite scoreboard from another time. But all is wonderful, wonderful in Western New York sports land in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I have a problem with paragraphs.  Apparently others do as well.

Glad we are getting a new stadium.  Wish it was downtown but oh well.

13 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Definitely not a great look presently

Wonder if the pegulas are gonna be pressured into upgrading the new stadium 

which stadium upgrades prevent regional snowstorms?

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

What on Earth are you talking about? “Half a loaf?” The public subsidy for New Highmark stadium was $850million. The largest in history, until surpassed by the Titans. Half a loaf. 

I know these facts (or any facts) don’t interest you, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist:

-New Highmark ($1.7B cost) - $600M in NY state funding (35%)

-New Yankee Stadium ($2.3B) - $115M (5%)

-UBS Islanders Arena ($1.6B) - $68M (5%)

-Barclay’s Center ($1.0B) - $100M (10%)

-Citi Field ($830M) - $96M (12%)

NYC made contributions to some of these as well, but the Islanders arena you cite received $0 in City funding. Talk about “sparing no expense”!! 😂

Edited by JoPoy88

I still believe the smarter move would’ve been to build a new, fan centric, modest dome stadium at Amherst where it would have been:

1. shared with UB for much higher usage

2. the State already owns the land

3. plenty of parking on weekends 

4. out of the snow belt 

5. loads of tailgating space

6. decent existing highway access with proximity to Canadian fans

7. easily justified State $ contribution 

But….it’s just me 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I still believe the smarter move would’ve been to build a new, fan centric, modest dome stadium at Amherst where it would have been:

4. out of the snow belt 

But….it’s just me 

I remember this option being floated around. It really does make a ton of sense. Thought I heard UB didn’t like the idea?

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

4. out of the snow belt 

8.  Four-minute drive from RiotAct’s house

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The reason why a dome? A dome wouldn’t have an effect canceling the Buffalo Bills game either way. Agreed. But with a dome with field turf you won’t need shovelers and two you can play the game with no fans. Grass field in a Buffalo open air stadium is one of the worst ideas ever for the Buffalo Bills. Look outside tomorrow Bills fans and ask yourself if natural grass is such good idea in Buffalo December and January weather over field turf ridiculous but what do I know? I have only lived in Buffalo my whole life of 56 years and counting. See War Memorial Stadium, UB Stadium completely got rid of there natural grass for field turf there season ends in November and Sahlen’s Field. Sahlen’s Field as the baseball season has started earlier and ending later and later is having issues with grass and canceling home Buffalo Bisons games in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You ever hear of heaters underneath the playing surface? Well now you have.

And ask any player in the league what they’d prefer. Grass or turf.

The only thing you got right is they wouldn’t need shovelers with a dome.

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

You ever hear of heaters underneath the playing surface? Well now you have.

And ask any player in the league what they’d prefer. Grass or turf.

Agreed on grass. I would have preferred a dome, with a grass playing field.

For me, desiring a dome has nothing to do with this current situation. As many have pointed out, the game date/time would have been moved even with a dome.

My desire for a dome (or more accurately, a retractable roof) is simply comfort and safety. When I was younger, I enjoyed sitting in the elements. I now hate it. It’s not fun to me anymore. And I cringe thinking about Allen or another star player potentially having their season destroyed because they slip on wet turf.

If it was a private money stadium, I would shut my mouth and say “their money - their business what they build”.

However, it’s financed in large part by citizen tax dollars. Therefore, in my personal opinion, I believe citizens should have had a vote in whether a dome or open-air stadium.

And heck, maybe the open-air vote would have won. I have no idea. But at least we would have had a say in the matter. Just my 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Agreed on grass. I would have preferred a dome, with a grass playing field.

For me, desiring a dome has nothing to do with this current situation. As many have pointed out, the game date/time would have been moved even with a dome.

My desire for a dome (or more accurately, a retractable roof) is simply comfort and safety. When I was younger, I enjoyed sitting in the elements. I now hate it. It’s not fun to me anymore. And I cringe thinking about Allen or another star player potentially having their season destroyed because they slip on wet turf.

If it was a private money stadium, I would shut my mouth and say “their money - their business what they build”.

However, it’s financed in large part by citizen tax dollars. Therefore, in my personal opinion, I believe citizens should have had a vote in whether a dome or open-air stadium.

And heck, maybe the open-air vote would have won. I have no idea. But at least we would have had a say in the matter. Just my 2 cents.

We didn't get any choices for the Yankees or Mets stadiums..

The Mets Park was built with over 600 million dollars of taxpayer money and they didn't ask us what we want with it

We are in a representative Republic.. we elect officials to represent us

They do what they think their constituents want... So they get reelected 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I hate how it creates that awkward shadow over the field. I wonder if they ever considered making the overhang clear.

I am glad I will be at the games in person.   The shadow on the field is bad TV.    Having been subjected to Cowboys afternoon games like all of us growing up in the 70's and 80's,  having to watch them play in the shadows of their old stadium was ugly viewing.

28 minutes ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Does anyone know if a Bills Hall of Fame or Museum of some sort will be included in stadium?  I hope so. 

I haven’t heard them say anything to this effect and I wouldn’t count on it. This whole project feels “bare bones” to me. Of all the NFL stadiums built in the past 10 years or so, the rendering for our new house feel the most bland/not special. It doesn’t have the unique shape structure and views of the Vikings new digs. And it doesn’t have the massiveness of Jerry World. And it doesn’t have the mall/iconic circular opening of the Falcons new stadium. It doesn’t have the insaneness of the Rams/Chargers stadium. Etc. Etc. Etc.

There is something unique and interesting and cool about each of the other stadiums. Nothing they have released so far gives me any hope of their being anything unique or iconic about our home. It’s just a boring, generic stadium that honestly looks like it could have been built in the 90’s.

It’s not something i’ll lose sleep over or anything, but I would be lying if I said it’s not kind of a bummer.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I am glad I will be at the games in person.   The shadow on the field is bad TV.    Having been subjected to Cowboys afternoon games like all of us growing up in the 70's and 80's,  having to watch them play in the shadows of their old stadium was ugly viewing.

Is it distracting to players, too? I assume not, but I'm imagining a receiver tracking a deep ball in the sun when it suddenly hits the shadow.

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I haven’t heard them say anything to this effect and I wouldn’t count on it. This whole project feels “bare bones” to me. Of all the NFL stadiums built in the past 10 years or so, the rendering for our new house feel the most bland/not special. It doesn’t have the unique shape structure and views of the Vikings new digs. And it doesn’t have the massiveness of Jerry World. And it doesn’t have the mall/iconic circular opening of the Falcons new stadium. It doesn’t have the insaneness of the Rams/Chargers stadium. Etc. Etc. Etc.

There is something unique and interesting and cool about each of the other stadiums. Nothing they have released so far gives me any hope of their being anything unique or iconic about our home. It’s just a boring, generic stadium that honestly looks like it could have been built in the 90’s.

It’s not something i’ll lose sleep over or anything, but I would be lying if I said it’s not kind of a bummer.

You can't compare something in orchard Park.. a town of 3,000 people

Compared to Jerry world in Dallas Texas, or something in Los Angeles or Atlanta

I certainly don't think it's a bummer because we don't have the best stadium in the world lol I think it's pretty awesome that the bills will be staying for my children's children

I would watch games at the Ralph forever and not complain at all because I'm there for football

I don't care about keeping up with the Joneses.. I want the bills in Buffalo

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I agree. I really hoped there would be a Bills HoF, but IMO if it was happening, it would have been announced by now. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I certainly don't think it's a bummer because we don't have the best stadium in the world lol I think it's pretty awesome that the bills will be staying for my children's children

I would watch games at the Ralph forever and not complain at all because I'm there for football

I don't care about keeping up with the Joneses.. I want the bills in Buffalo

The town of OP does not have 3000 people.

The State Government should have insisted on a dome.  Being a huge investor, they should want a strong return.  A dome means it doubles as a huge conference center.  Winter concert venue.  Final Four College Bball tourney.  Potentially a Super Bowl.  It becomes a huge draw for other non-football events.

Also location.  I get that the land is already owned but, the area South of the city gets spanked with the localized snow.  Being further north a few miles minimizes that issue.  It would also get you closer to Niagara Falls, a huge international draw to the area which would help with the whole conference center idea.

and lastly, regarding a snowstorm, YES a dome would make the game more likely to be played.  Hotels on site or nearby would house the teams and officials etc who could walk to the stadium.   Maybe fans can’t get to the game by car, but could potentially come by train/subway. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I agree. I really hoped there would be a Bills HoF, but IMO if it was happening, it would have been announced by now. 

The town of OP does not have 3000 people.

https://statisticalatlas.com/county/New-York/Erie-County/Population

Then its the village... But why is the population of orchard Park by places in Western New York... Counted at only 3,000

But then population by subdivision orchard Park is 27,000?

I figure they're getting some numbers from the Hamburg West Seneca borders

4 minutes ago, peterpan said:

The State Government should have insisted on a dome.  Being a huge investor, they should want a strong return.  A dome means it doubles as a huge conference center.  Winter concert venue.  Final Four College Bball tourney.  Potentially a Super Bowl.  It becomes a huge draw for other non-football events.

Also location.  I get that the land is already owned but, the area South of the city gets spanked with the localized snow.  Being further north a few miles minimizes that issue.  It would also get you closer to Niagara Falls, a huge international draw to the area which would help with the whole conference center idea.

and lastly, regarding a snowstorm, YES a dome would make the game more likely to be played.  Hotels on site or nearby would house the teams and officials etc who could walk to the stadium.   Maybe fans can’t get to the game by car, but could potentially come by train/subway. 

If they thought it would bring super bowls and all these concerts and money they do it

The actual stadium report showed that most stadiums are not operating the majority of the year.. and you're lucky to get 10 concerts a year

It's not as much as people think

33 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The stadium isn't being built for Orchard Park. It is being built by New York State (19.8M people), for the region of Western New York (2.6M people). 

I find it a bit disingenuous for you to state such, especially considering your comparisons (Jerry World isn't in Dallas, nor are the Rams/Chargers stadium in the city of LA).

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

We didn't get any choices for the Yankees or Mets stadiums..

We are in a representative Republic.. we elect officials to represent us

Part of a representative Republic are referendums. If you don't know what those are, here is an article about them

In short, it is common for a referendum to draw public vote on an issue.

Speaking of Yankees stadium, a referendum was placed on the ballot in 1998 in NYC over the stadium but Mayor Giuliani vetoed the referendum. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, peterpan said:

The area does not have the hotel accommodations for a Final Four or Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The stadium isn't being built for Orchard Park. It is being built by New York State (19.8M people), for the region of Western New York (2.6M people). 

I find it a bit disingenuous for you to state such, especially considering your comparisons (Jerry World isn't in Dallas, nor are the Rams/Chargers stadium in the city of LA).

Part of a representative Republic are referendums. If you don't know what those are, here is an article about them

In short, it is common for a referendum to draw public vote on an issue.

Speaking of Yankees stadium, a referendum was placed on the ballot in 1998 in NYC over the stadium but Mayor Giuliani vetoed the referendum. 

My bad Jerry world is in Arlington which has like 15 times the population of orchard Park

And the bills are lucky to be in Buffalo in 2023... We are lucky to have a new stadium

There are only 32 NFL teams in the world and buffalo has the privilege to be one... 

And while some fans don't like the weather.. the majority of people in Western New York have always been fine with embracing the elements for the Buffalo Bills since the rock pile... Our fan base certainly embraces it

I know 70-year-old men who are furious the game is not getting played today.. it is not a massive Landslide for a dome

Maybe on this site and this site is not filled with Western New Yorkers

Bills Mafia is not soft... Buffalo is not soft

I didn't want a dome 20 years ago and I still don't ... And I'm not the only one

People are complaining about how much money we got publicly yet it would be a lot more with a dome and they would still be complaining

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I didn't want a dome 20 years ago and I still don't ... And I'm not the only one

You could have just wrote that. That's a fine opinion to have. And with a referendum, you could have exercised that opinion with a vote.

The other arguments simply don't hold water.

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You could have just wrote that. That's a fine opinion to have. And with a referendum, you could have exercised that opinion with a vote.

The other arguments simply don't hold water.

The fact that Buffalo has gone for 60 years without a dome is certainly a precedence

The fact that we have packed two stadiums over 60 years and are known for our passionate fans that embraced the weather is a precedence

Buffalo is a hardened City with passionate fans, and embracing the elements has been part of our culture since the beginning

I can't see Yankee stadium ever being a dome like the Rogers center... Or lamabeau field 

Some things are meant to be... And the Buffalo Bills in open weather is certainly one of them in my opinion

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The fact that Buffalo has gone for 60 years without a dome is certainly a precedence

I think you mean precedent, but I do understand your point - It would be a big change.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It would be weird to actually change the entire atmosphere of the game after 60 years of passion...

I agree, which is why I want a retractable roof.

This would have enabled us to still have the crisp fall weather, the smell of the tailgates wafting in, etc. The only time the roof would need to be closed is in times of inclement weather.

Keep in mind, the players practice in a dome when there is inclement weather. The field house has a roof.

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

Who's going to pay for the train or subway to go to the new stadium? How many millions or into the billions would that cost to make it a truly regional hub?

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

I think you mean precedent, but I do understand your point - It would be a big change.

I agree, which is why I want a retractable roof.

This would have enabled us to still have the crisp fall weather, the smell of the tailgates wafting in, etc. The only time the roof would need to be closed is in times of inclement weather.

Keep in mind, the players practice in a dome when there is inclement weather. The field house has a roof.

3-500 million for a retractable roof to be opened 3-4 times a year. Sounds like a smart investment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

I remember this option being floated around. It really does make a ton of sense. Thought I heard UB didn’t like the idea?

If true somebody at UB should lose their job then. The opportunity to have an NFL quality indoor multi-purpose venue on your campus is something that should NOT have been passed up. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, beerme1 said:

3-500 million for a retractable roof to be opened 3-4 times a year. Sounds like a smart investment.

The first Bills game in Toronto for the Toronto series, it was a pre-season game.  Driving into Toronto the dome was open, since it was a nice day.  Someone decided it had to be closed for the game.  So disappointed with that decision.  I don't think they had any game there with the roof opened.  

4 hours ago, peterpan said:

The rest of the state didn't want the Bills to get a new stadium at all.  The eastern NY papers & many of the politicians said some pretty nasty stuff about the deal.  Tack on another half billion & the pols in Albany would have killed the whole deal.  Remember when Zeldin wanted to renegotiate the deal when he ran?  That was the downstate attitude.  

We're lucky there's any new stadium being built.  When the deal wasn't finalized my biggest fear was the wrong people would get in & Josh Allen would be the QB of the St. Louis Arch.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

The first Bills game in Toronto for the Toronto series, it was a pre-season game.  Driving into Toronto the dome was open, since it was a nice day.  Someone decided it had to be closed for the game.  So disappointed with that decision.  I don't think they had any game there with the roof opened.  

They didn't 😞

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

If true somebody at UB should lose their job then. The opportunity to have an NFL quality indoor multi-purpose venue on your campus is something that should NOT have been passed up. 

No UB didn’t like the idea to play in the new Buffalo Bills stadium in Orchard Park that was too far away from there campus for there students. That is when the UB AD Mark Alnutt said UB would rather renovate UB Stadium then play in Orchard Park. Andrew Cuomo then New York State Governor said UB North Campus was a nonstarter when the Buffalo Bills mentioned that as one of the potential stadium sites. So basically a downstate New Yorker Cuomo was telling Western New Yorkers what is good for them. That sums up the problems between Downstate and Upstate for over 50 years of distrust. UB the school never nixed the idea of a new Buffalo Bills/UB Bulls stadium at UB North Campus or Downtown Buffalo with a extended subway.

The problem why the new Buffalo Bills stadium will never be anything more than now is because it’s isolated to one part of the Southtowns Orchard Park. Great for the Southtowns Orchard Park and surrounding areas but not so great for getting the majority of the Western New York population to events beyond the weekends like NFL football or an occasional concert. Even if the stadium was domed with hypothetically a Buffalo team in one of these leagues MLB, NBA or MLS the Buffalo team would fail slowly in a bad way see Arizona Coyotes NHL playing in Glendale. Glendale works for Arizona Cardinals NFL once a week type of thing like the Buffalo Bills in Orchard Park. Anything beyond a NFL football game or weekend concert would definitely fail overtime because Orchard Park isn’t centrally located and isn’t easy to get to 2 or 3 times a week during a MLB, NBA or MLS season. Even UB Bulls in potentially in the Big Ten Conference would fail in Orchard Park see Miami Hurricanes at the Miami Dolphins stadium it isn’t centrally located like the old Orange Bowl in Miami. Bottom line our city and county planning is terrible. I doubt our local leaders got into these discussions as much as this Bills board which is really sad but what can you do it is what it is they were all voted in again overwhelmingly. But to think that new Bills stadium is going to have more events than now is just ridiculous it’s not happening. Buffalo is having a severe problem today driving 25 minutes to the city to see the Buffalo Sabres other than Friday, Saturday and Sunday there not driving 45 minutes to one hour to new events at the new Bills stadium on a Tuesday or Wednesday night. Buffalo Super Fan are you saying Buffalo fans are soft compared to your day? No the problem is why bother when the games are all on HD television or streaming. Back in my day you went to the game in person or you were out of luck it’s the radio there were only like 20 Sabres games on television back in the day in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Bulls! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1