RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

that is a concern of mine. and the second contracts to tight ends as they come of age are ludacris.

it's nice to have a featured tight end but teams are better off dumpster diving to potentially find someone 

We didnt draft a TE tho. We drafted a slot WR. And he should be able to contribute there right away, and then maybe grow into a TE spot.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I missed the earlier part of this thread but do people actually think Beane is a bad GM? You can argue he is not the best but to argue he is not easily top 10 is absurd. 

I get the feeling most here like the job Beane is doing here. I do. Someone questioned whether or not he should "blindly follow" Beane and gave a list of "misses" that Beane made either by draft or FA. Just pointing out he could look up any GM and see misses. Even the SB winner had misses. 

1 minute ago, LondonBill said:

I’m really excited by it. The red zone offence wasn’t at all what it should have been last season - or if stats show it was, it didn’t *feel* that way. Also way too much pressure on Josh on third downs. Seems positive to me. 

And that just happens to be one area where Kincaid shines brightest.  Watch his film...in the redzone, he's straight money.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

2018 on Josh Allen - Pete Prisco, CBS Sports

They get the best QB in the draft and they had to go make the move to get him. Love the trade, love the pick. 

Grade: A+

If you want to bet against Prisco and I in favor of PFF and Skip, by all means have fun. 

Yeah, but Prisco's objection to the pick was not understanding why the Bills need another TE. He qualified it by saying, maybe it makes more sense if they play more 2 TE formations.

Maybe he didn't hear Beane say that Kincaid is a Big Slot Z receiver and not the same Y position in the Bills scheme as Knox? 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah, but Prisco's objection to the pick was not understanding why the Bills need another TE. He qualified it by saying, maybe it makes more sense of they play more 2 TE formations.

Maybe he didn't hear Beane say that Kincaid is a Big Slot receiver? 

Beane flat out said they aren't going to be in 12 very often.

He said more along the lines of an 11 and 1/2.  

The sooner people stop looking at this guy as a cookie cutter TE, the better, because that's not what he is and not what we needed anyway.  We needed receivers who can run good routes, who get open, and who can reliably catch the football.  That's what we got.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Trading ahead of Dallas for the second year in a row and picking their guy is absolutely hysterical. The look on their faces in the Dallas war room after when McCarthy is spouting out nonsense to jerry jones is meme worthy

Dan Patrick talking about it is pretty funny. “They look like ‘oh, no! What do we do now?’ Then they make the pick and ‘OK, everybody give a polite clap now.” 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

2018 on Josh Allen - Pete Prisco, CBS Sports

They get the best QB in the draft and they had to go make the move to get him. Love the trade, love the pick. 

Grade: A+

If you want to bet against Prisco and I in favor of PFF and Skip, by all means have fun. 

Hahaha the fact that you’re lumping yourself in with Pete Prisco like it means something is hysterical

It’s also “bet against Prisco and me”😂

Edited by JGMcD2

6 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah, but Prisco's objection to the pick was not understanding why the Bills need another TE. He qualified it by saying, maybe it makes more sense if they play more 2 TE formations.

Maybe he didn't hear Beane say that Kincaid is a Big Slot Z receiver and not the same Y position in the Bills scheme as Knox? 

He also said Mayer is a better TE, which he is. 

4 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Beane flat out said they aren't going to be in 12 very often.

He said more along the lines of an 11 and 1/2.  

The sooner people stop looking at this guy as a cookie cutter TE, the better, because that's not what he is and not what we needed anyway.  We needed receivers who can run good routes, who get open, and who can reliably catch the football.  That's what we got.

We don’t need a Gesicki, we need a Hopkins. 

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Allen, Edmunds, Teller, Bass, Gabe, Dane, Harrison Phillips, Beasley, Morse, Von. Like every other GM in the league, there are hits and misses in the draft and Free Agency. My favorite example is how KC gets so much props for the Isaiah Pacheco pick. He was a 7th round pick who was a pleasant surprise, but people here either forget or over look the fact that he replaced a 1st round bust at RB by KC. Again, hits and misses for every GM, even the SB winner. Blindly follow? I'm not sure what you mean by this. He's the GM, not you. You don't have to follow or agree with him. Pretty sure he doesn't care. He's put together one of the most talented and deeper teams in the NFL, without the benefit of hindsight. I'm with John From Riverside. Beane knows what he's doing and he's one of the better GM's in the league.

I never said he wasn’t.

But for us not to question him and just blindly agree with everything he does would be foolish.

Wouldn’t you agree?

5 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

Kincaid could be a monster for us.

You love to see how NFL.com has the Bills and Josh Allen as losers Rd1? I don't understand how people write this crap and get paid?

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-first-read-winners-and-losers-from-round-1-of-the-2023-nfl-draft

The author actually wrote more about why he could be wrong about why Kincaid was not the correct pick to make.  He also had the Texans GM as a winner for taking a QB who will bust and giving up a first, second, and third to move up 9 spots.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

Mayer is a better blocker.  That's it.  We didn't draft Kincaid for his blocking ability.

Lol Mayer is a better overall TE that will have a better career when said and done because he’s useable at any point of the game. Mayer is just as good as a ball catcher, he’s Gronk like underneath. 

Why is that?

We need receivers that get open and catch the football.

Gesicki is a glorified WR, and not even an elite receiver. I’d much rather have a real WR like Hopkins who is actually better than Kincaid. 

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Lol Mayer is a better overall TE that will have a better career when said and done because he’s useable at any point of the game. Mayer is just as good as a ball catcher, he’s Gronk like underneath. 

Tell me how many people care about Kelce's blocking?

Zero.  

Kincaid is a better receiver.  Period.

• Like (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

That take is especially surprising seeing as though the NFL Network's #1 scout was probably higher on Kincaid than anybody...Jeremiah should give that dude a call. B-)

Its a weak in the moment take. Yes they didn't add a WR which was his main point or address the OL. But it is only one round. And Kincaid is a weapon on offense. Also let's not forget Bills added two WR, a LG, have Shakir developing, and have Hines for the full year. 

Should we address OT? Yes. Hope they do. As for weapons, I'm fine with what they have. I'd add an OT or even a C/G in the next round. Then go get a couple front 7 defenders with the rest of the picks.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We don’t need a Gesicki, we need a Hopkins. 

We could still get a Hopkins.  We could still trade for literal Hopkins.

There wasn't an obvious Hopkins-esque talent left on the board. 

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Kincaid isn’t Kelce, he’s Gesicki. 

How do you know?  

I'll say it now...you're clearly already hoping he's a bust so you can gloat and say I told you so.

Tell me why none of the other teams in the first round took Mayer either if he's the best TE in the draft?

Dallas wanted Kincaid and then passed on Mayer.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Saw some tape of him now and I had a poop-eating grin the whole time. Too big for CBs, too savvy and quick for LBs.

We got a first-down machine who will not drop the ball. Love it

.celebrating richard mullaney GIF by Arizona Hotshots

dont eat poop, it will give you worms

Edited by TBBills Fan

Do you ever feel better about your opinions when you see who disagrees with you???  😋

How do you know?  

I'll say it now...you're clearly already hoping he's a bust so you can gloat and say I told you so.

It does have that feel, doesn’t it? Not uncommon around these parts. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

How do you know?  

Got the same feeling of his post too, remind me of lots of so called Bills fans hoping Josh to bust so they could gloat 😎

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

CBS ranked his as 31st best player, ESPN had him at #14, and PFF had him as #10 overall. I like the pick but we shall see

Daniel Jeremiah had him ranked 9th overall.

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Apparently, he didn't run a 40 time at the combine b/c he had a back problem.

Does anyone know what sort of speed this guy has?

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Very unofficially he’s somewhere in the 4.7-4.9sec 40 range.

Disagree.

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

40 times (game speed) is definitely one of my specialties as a scout 

I usually always have it down within .05

id say he’s a 4.55-4.6

He looks sub 4.6 for sure. Also it looks like his 10 yard split would be excellent. Very good suddenness and burst but also fluid and not herky jerky.

6 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

In relation to Dorsey getting him involved, that doesn't bother me. I have more confidence in his play calling than most. All-22 etc. showed many occasions where players were available but not used on failed attempts. He has the ability to set up plays where Kincaid is available. My issue with Dorsey is whether he can manage Josh. Because he was either not telling him to take what's available, was not being listened to, or Josh failed to move away from the default big play more often than not when pressured. Hopefully Kincaid can help by building a relationship with Josh over pre season.

To the bolded, I've posted this numerous times. Josh was not taking the layups that Daboll had him taking previously. I think there are many reasons for Dorsey Optimism. The personnel will be better for his schemes, we should reasonably expect fewer injuries, and another year in the helm will help. But he has to show that he has the ability to maximize Josh's talents and minimize the hero ball stuff that only hurts the team.

6 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

You love to see how NFL.com has the Bills and Josh Allen as losers Rd1? I don't understand how people write this crap and get paid?

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-first-read-winners-and-losers-from-round-1-of-the-2023-nfl-draft

The funny thing is the write up addressed all the facets of the pick. In other words the writer understood most of the Bills context but made the wrong conclusion. Like many people on this board he couldn't process how Kincaid fits with Knox.

I think of it this way: Kincaid will probably be second on the Bills in receptions and receiving yards. He also might lead the team in TD receptions.

Another way of looking at is that people on this board have been trying to point out that Kelce is KCs WR1. Call him Weapon1 if that's helpful. Kincaid is Weapon2 for the Bills.

Or as another poster adroitly pointed out upthread, the NBA has become a league without positions... you have stretch 3s and stretch 4s and "wing players." You have "shoot first point guards."  In football they're getting away from DE vs LB and grouping them as "Edge" players.

Same thing with Kincaid. To understand the fit you have to be more flexible in your thinking.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Kincaid isn’t Kelce, he’s Gesicki. 

He will be better than GS. And your comparison is to the best TE in football. He stretches the field. He will force the D to go nickel at key times. Improving match ups and giving an advantage to running the ball in key situations. The other TE’s do not offer this. DHop comes with a massive cap hit and adds the diva component along w Diggs who has some of that already. 

14 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Mayer is a better blocker.  That's it.  We didn't draft Kincaid for his blocking ability.

Yep they are trying to create a mismatch situation and Mayer doesn't do that. It seems like they have a specific strategy for this. 

16 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

He also said Mayer is a better TE, which he is. 

The league clearly disagrees. It seems like Dallas would have taken Kincaid if the Bills didn't and Mayer is still on the board. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.