The Allen-Diggs Relationship in Decline?

hondo in seattle

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I dont know if Allen has it in him to manage Diggs - either threw off-field words or on-field chatter. For all the good that Allen does on the field, I rarely see him consoling an O player for messing up on a play, egging on the OL for poor protection or having words with divas like Diggs to calm him down. I would have liked to see some more interactivity of Allen with his supporting cast because he has earned the right to give them a talking-to. 

You’re so right. This has been my observation as well. I don’t think that’s how Allen is built. Nothing bad about it. But I do wish he’s more involved that way with his teammates.

Everyone should be able to see that Diggs is a diva. Great WRs usually are. When things are going well he’s the greatest teammate. When things aren’t he’ll lash out because he ‘wants to win’.  It is what it is. Also not a big deal that he’s not here for the first ota. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

We all know that Allen and Diggs are/were best friends.  We also all know what happened with Diggs at the end of the last season.

Recently, Allen was asked if his relationship with Diggs was still solid.  He responded, "Absolutely...  Stef's gonng be Stef.  I love the guy. He is one of my favorite people on this planet. He is so fiery, so competitive. He wants the ball in his hands 24/7, and I’m never going to not like a guy like that. He wants what’s best for the team.”

To me, that sounds a lot like coach-speak.  Allen keeps it positive, as he should.  But he never actually says that he and Diggs are still talking, hanging out, playing games together, acting like brothers from different mothers...  And his comment, "I'm never going to dislike a guy like that" came off as a little odd to me.  Who said anything about disliking?  Do you have reasons to dislike Stef that you're overcoming?  

I'm not going to churches, temples, synagogues, and mosques, bawling my eyes out, earnestly praying for divine intervention for them to patch things up.  But I do have some concerns about their relationship this year.  I hope those concerns are wrong.  

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

I don’t have any inside information, but I don’t think the Chiefs plan to move Chris Jones to QB, WR, or TE, so that would by my guess as to why he didn’t show up to the workout for QBs, WRs, and TEs.

Hey what’s up with Mahomes cheating down there in Texas? Working out with draft prospects? 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

We all know that Allen and Diggs are/were best friends.  We also all know what happened with Diggs at the end of the last season.

Recently, Allen was asked if his relationship with Diggs was still solid.  He responded, "Absolutely...  Stef's gonng be Stef.  I love the guy. He is one of my favorite people on this planet. He is so fiery, so competitive. He wants the ball in his hands 24/7, and I’m never going to not like a guy like that. He wants what’s best for the team.”

To me, that sounds a lot like coach-speak.  Allen keeps it positive, as he should.  But he never actually says that he and Diggs are still talking, hanging out, playing games together, acting like brothers from different mothers...  And his comment, "I'm never going to dislike a guy like that" came off as a little odd to me.  Who said anything about disliking?  Do you have reasons to dislike Stef that you're overcoming?  

I'm not going to churches, temples, synagogues, and mosques, bawling my eyes out, earnestly praying for divine intervention for them to patch things up.  But I do have some concerns about their relationship this year.  I hope those concerns are wrong.  

I completely agree. By looking into what Allen said, I get the feeling what he meant was "I hate that son of a b*tch". Sounds like we need to worry Bills fans

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

sounds like someone’s incredibly bored. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have been telling you all offseason the relationship is strained and it has been put to me as "the honeymoon is over." People have kept trying to make a case that Diggs's frustration is with McDermott or with Beane and while I don't know that he isn't also frustrated with them the main source of his frustration at the end of last season was Josh Allen. I hope when we get to the mandatory portion of the offseason and Stef turns up and we get back to playing football they can re-find the rhythm and connection they have had in the past. That is what we need for the team to be successful.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billl said:

Seriously?  He was barking at Josh several times during the Bengals game about ball placement.  Then he threw a tantrum on the sidelines before storming out of the stadium instead of joining his team in the locker room.  The guy’s a hell of a player who just happens to be a jackass.  He’s not the first WR to be this way, and he won’t be the last.  It’s odd that so many people here want to pretend that he’s not a malcontent when he so clearly is.  

The barking at Josh was, somewhat, justified. And it is who Stef is on game day. He holds everyone around him accountable and emotionally he is still the alpha on that offense. He could see Josh was flat and he was trying to get him going. I don't see anything wrong with that. 

However, even I (as the biggest Stef Diggs fan going.... dating back to before he was even a Bill) think his behaviour at the end of the game was extremely poor. You can't respond that way. It was unprofessional and unacceptable. 

As for OTAs he wasn't at all of them last season either from memory. He flitted in and out a bit. It isn't that unusal for him. If he doesn't turn up at all during this section of the offseason that might be a bit different and more of a story.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have been telling you all offseason the relationship is strained and it has been put to me as "the honeymoon is over." People have kept trying to make a case that Diggs's frustration is with McDermott or with Beane and while I don't know that he isn't also frustrated with them the main source of his frustration at the end of last season was Josh Allen. I hope when we get to the mandatory portion of the offseason and Stef turns up and we get back to playing football they can re-find the rhythm and connection they have had in the past. That is what we need for the team to be successful.

Three painful playoff exits in a row where Diggs didn't have more than 77 yards is why the honeymoon period is over imo.  I'm sure everything will be fine once he gets back into the building but if things go south again in the playoffs with Diggs being neutralized again.  Watch out.

Edited by Doc Brown

9 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Surprised your thread lasted 5 pages and a certain moderator didn't shut it down immediately, out of dislike for the subject matter.

😂

• Agree 1

Everything is going to be fine…earlier this off-season he restructured his deal to help the team. He’s a very passionate guy and I like that. Do I agree with everything, no, but in the heat of the moment I get it and he makes the team way better, so if this is the way he needs to get ready for the season on his own a little bit at first then let him be. 

8 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Doesn’t mean Josh can’t be a leader, but I don’t ever see him being like Peyton or Brady where you mess up and he destroys you. He’s playful, goofy even. Not his disposition to be that way. 

Interesting take with psych profiles. I did enjoy learning about them in the past so it's good that you refreshed my memory about them. 

While I agree with you on Allen's profile, it does mean that someone else needs to fill that role on the field. We have seen McD talk to Diggs. But for the other parts, someone will need to take that in-game motivator role. Diggs ain't the right person as he is more "me" than "team"

• Agree 1

Every time a relevant veteran player misses OTA's because they stay in shape all off season & it is voluntary then for other reason fans like us seem to speculate that there is something a miss .

I'm sure that when Diggs shows up he will be in shape ready to go & will be the guy we've seen playing his guts out every play .

And if not in some situations given the ball pissed off because he feels he is the best chance for them to make the play that breaks the game open .

12 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

Diggs was a first/second round talent that got drafted in the 5th because of his attitude. 
Diggs developed into a number one receiver that Minnesota was glad to trade away because of his attitude. 
Diggs is quickly wearing out his welcome in Buffalo because of his attitude. 
I actually think Gabe Davis is more likely to be on the team in 2024 than Diggs. I hope the bills draft Jack Campbell but if they go receiver in the first I totally understand. They have to keep Diggs on the team this year but can save over 20 million by cutting him. Unfortunately I think this is going in the wrong direction. 

With who?  Some fans and media who for some strange reason seem to be hoping there's drama between Josh and Diggs?

What coach or player has ever once hinted at any real tension between them and Diggs outside the emotions we saw at the Cincy game? 

Suggesting that Diggs will not be here in 2024 is based on what exactly?

Suggesting Diggs will not be here next year also totally fails to take into account the fact they just restructured his contract.

Does this look like a contract going anywhere to you?  

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 08.11.12.png

Edited by Billz4ever

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This...its utterly amazing how much nonsense is spread on Social Media or twisted into something more than it is.  

There is nothing to see here.  Last year Diggs said Josh Allen saved him and his career and that he loves him for that and that hasn't changed because the whole team had a tough outing against Cincy.  

Go back to the pre game of Thanksgiving...this is all you need to know.

Diggs: "I'm thankful for you..."

Voice seemingly cracking a little...

"You'll never know how much."

Then they embrace.

https://www.tiktok.com/@espn/video/7172034013547220267?lang=en

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

😂 I guess you missed his parting comments on this board

Haha, I guess I did. The board is one thing. The way he does his job for AP is another tho.

Unfortunate if the board finally drove off the best media contact we've ever had.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Haha, I guess I did. The board is one thing. The way he does his job for AP is another tho.

Unfortunate if the board finally drove off the best media contact we've ever had.

He made claims about strife in the Bills locker room in 2021

and when challenged to provide details, he was upset and belligerent to posters who weren't taking his comments / agenda questions at press conferences as facts

he asked why he bothered to come here and then announced his last post 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He made claims about strife in the Bills locker room in 2021

and when challenged to provide details, he was upset and belligerent to posters who weren't taking his comments / agenda questions at press conferences as facts

he asked why he bothered to come here and then announced his last post 

I've seen enough goodness out of JW over all the years here that I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I know there are a ton of new posters who dont have the same history with him, and also "hate the media", so I guess it's not surprising folks ran him off eventually. Bummer tho.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I've seen enough goodness out of JW over all the years here that I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I know there are a ton of new posters who dont have the same history with him, and also "hate the media", so I guess it's not surprising folks ran him off eventually. Bummer tho.

image.thumb.png.fb8c22b10b666559b1c9269f81f6fd41.png

37 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

It’s become straight up BBMB here in the offseason…

Wawrow was reasonable. The fact that this place is infested with a**holes isn’t his doing. 

Agreed on all accounts.

Between this thread, the Josh/Britt thread, and the prior Diggs/Dallas threads, I've been ashamed of Bills fans all offseason.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I feel like some fans, in an excess of hope & optimism, bury their heads in the sand.

*  Our OL will be fine this year with the FAs we signed.

*  Our running attack with be fine with Harris onboard - he's stronger, faster and better than Motor

*  Our receiving corps will be fine with the speed we added

*  Our secondary will be fine with Poyer, Hyde, and White all back and healthy

*  Our DL will be fine when Von gets healthy which is soon

*  Our LB corps will be fine without Edmunds - he wasn't a difference maker anyway

*  The Diggs-Allen relationship will be fine despite signs of strain - they're both professionals.

Several of these assumptions may prove to be true.   But I doubt if they all will.

After enduring multiple two-win seasons, 4 SB losses, 17 years of drought, and countless other disappointments in 50+ years of fandom, maybe I've become a bit cynical.  But when I see a cloud on the horizon, I don't ignore it.   

Edited by hondo in seattle

22 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I feel like some fans, in an excess of optimism, bury their heads in the sand.

*  Our OL will be fine this year with the FAs we signed.

*  Our running attack with be fine with Harris onboard - he's stronger, faster and better than Motor

*  Our receiving corps will be fine with the speed we added

*  Our secondary will be fine with Poyer, Hyde, and White all back and healthy

*  Our DL will be fine when Von gets healthy which is soon

*  Our LB corps will be fine without Edmunds - he wasn't a difference maker anyway

*  The Diggs-Allen relationship will be fine despite signs of strain - they're both professionals.

Several of these assumptions may prove to be true.   But I doubt if they all will.

After enduring multiple two-win seasons, 4 SB losses, 17 years of drought, and countless other disappointments in 50+ years of fandom, maybe I've become a bit cynical.  But when I see a cloud on the horizon, I don't ignore it.   

Almost certainly true that some of those assumptions will play out and some won't. Take an absolutist view either way is foolish. Much wiser to take a step back and think about which feel more likely and why. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Almost certainly true that some of those assumptions will play out and some won't. Take an absolutist view either way is foolish. Much wiser to take a step back and think about which feel more likely and why. 

And also, what us worrying about any of them changes for anything