Edge rushers still available in free agency

HappyDays

18 hours ago, HappyDays said:

So far the Bills haven't signed a single edge rusher in free agency. I can't be the only one that thinks this is still a need, not with Von Miller's timetable being up in the air.

There are still a lot of edge rushers available. Full list here:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/edge/available/

A few names that jump out to me:

Bud Dupree

Leonard Floyd

Frank Clark

Robert Quinn

Yannick Ngakoue

Melvin Ingram

Justin Houston

Carlos Dunlap

I'm guessing some of these will be signed after the draft. What should our plan be?

These guys are mostly 32,33 and probably expect more than vet minimum. Beane also seems vigilant about the compensatory situation. I don't see him signing any of them.

18 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It's really surprising there are that many quality edge guys.

I'm guessing a decent amount of them won't sign anywhere until the draft.

Call me crazy, but I'd like to sign 2 of these guys.   I'll take 2 of  Floyd, Quinn, Ingram, Houston, Dunlap.  I think the others may be too much $

Floyd has gotten 9-10 each of the last 3 seasons. Von knows him. 
Quinn had a down year, but 18.5 sacks in 2021.....could potentially be the steal of free agency 
Ingram is a Bills terror. We could use some nasty. The guy causes chaos routinely that isn't on the stat sheet

TWO??? Besides the age and money questions, who do you bench or cut to accommodate them? If Von is IR a couple weeks ,you'll have to make a move when he returns. 

9 hours ago, Bigvinny said:

Players signed after May 2nd don't count against the compensatory pick formula. 

They were interested in Poona Ford earlier too.

I don't see them adding Ford unless they trade Oliver. 

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

Great post.  

Landing one of these guys is extremely important imo.  We don’t want to rush von back and making the playoffs without him is no sure thing.  Unless AJ or boogie makes huge strides this offseason Rousseau needs help.  Big time.  Worst case scenario should be Shaq and a rookie but I’d prefer everyone on your list list @HappyDays

Not so "great" ; I think it's unrealistic considering their age and probable salary requests. Whenever people discuss these "wish list" moves,they don't consider the perspective of the free agent. Talking about signing them for "vet minimum " when THEY are probably hoping for a better paying ,starting gig.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Frank Clark…grabbing a hired gun from KC to beat them would be pretty cool. He had times when he is unstoppable. Being a part of a rotation like ours is exactly what he needs to lengthen his career, plus he was released so no comp pick impact. 

You really think  Beane can afford Clark? Hahaha . He is probably going back to Seattle.

I've always wanted the Bills to take a flyer on Carlos Dunlap ever since he left the Cardinals & i wanted them to draft Melvin Ingram & every time he has played the Bills he reeks havoc so either one of those 2 would be fine with me .

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/5/2023 at 12:46 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

If we can snag one now cheap that doesn't count against comp formula sure!  I'd LOVE Ingram, but not sure if we would have interest or if he would.  Anytime we've played against him on PIT, KC, MIA he has wrecked us 

It's some time in May that signings don't mess up the comp pick formula.  My guess is Bills will sign a guy after this date to a 1 yr deal.  Maybe Frank Clark?

7 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

You really think  Beane can afford Clark? Hahaha . He is probably going back to Seattle.

Most of these guys are going to get terrible deals. Its a couple of weeks before the draft and they still are not signed. 

We have more cap space than the seahawks. And a better chance to win. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

Clark isn't signed because the last two years he has sucked. I know he had a huge game in the playoffs against the Bengals but that is not a reflection of who he has been the majority of time in 2021-2022. At times his effort has been non-existent. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/5/2023 at 9:42 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

wrong. DE's are very productive in their mid 30's.  Bruce and Reggie both had career seasons in their mid-late 30's

Yeah 20 years ago. That era is over. The realistic shelf life of a current DE is probably 33-35.  I'd consider Clark (29) or Quinn (32) on a 1 year deal. It's naive to think Von's playing week 1 and Rousseau cannot do it alone.

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I”m probably in the minority, but if its not MLB, I think they will take an edge guy in round 1. 

I was just looking at Sporting News top 140 and at 27....Isaiah Foskey and I will not complain.

It's really a far different listing than other sites. Check it out. I bet there will be some changes of opinion.

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I was just looking at Sporting News top 140 and at 27....Isaiah Foskey and I will not complain.

It's really a far different listing than other sites. Check it out. I bet there will be some changes of opinion.

I like Foskey. I’m starting to fall hard for Mazi Smith as well, I know he’s a DT. I just really like the DL in this draft and the value might be there at 27

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I like Foskey. I’m starting to fall hard for Mazi Smith as well, I know he’s a DT. I just really like the DL in this draft and the value might be there at 27

I only read a little about Mazi Smith and all I came away with was a guy who has the build but not much production and got caught with an unregistered handgun.

Speaking of Dline and ends, how do we fit the 53?

20 hours ago, T master said:

I've always wanted the Bills to take a flyer on Carlos Dunlap ever since he left the Cardinals & i wanted them to draft Melvin Ingram & every time he has played the Bills he reeks havoc so either one of those 2 would be fine with me .

Dunlap was with the Bengals

• 2 weeks later...

Kingsley Jonathan has some potential as an edge rusher.  He's 6'4" and 260# and was the 1st player selected in the CFL draft.  He played at Syracuse University and was born in Nigeria.

And he's already on the Bills roster with a 2-year contract.  He played well against the Bear's but when he lined up offside on one play our HC pulled him out of the game for good.

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, HappyCat said:

Kingsley Jonathan has some potential as an edge rusher.  He's 6'4" and 260# and was the 1st player selected in the CFL draft.  He played at Syracuse University and was born in Nigeria.

And he's already on the Bills roster with a 2-year contract.  He played well against the Bear's but when he lined up offside on one play our HC pulled him out of the game for good.

The odds of him being an impact pass rusher are about the odds of me convincing Bills fans that it was pry a legal backwards lateral.  

Why do we still have the same D line Coach that oversaw the development of high round picks - Oliver, AJ, Groot, Boogie?  

What successes are they having besides sacking Mike White and Davis Mills a lot?  

This is beyond ridiculous that we should be this concerned still with the D Line and edge guys.  

49 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Von is expected to be back by the start of the season, if not soon after. We just re-signed Shaq Lawson. Still have Groot, Epenesa, Basham, and Kingsley. I don't expect another Edge signing. I think Lawson was it.

what are you hinestly expecting of a 34yo dude coming off acl surgery in December? Id expect it to look closer to the tre white time line than him being back to normal to start the season. But thats just me.

4 hours ago, HappyCat said:

He had multiple mistakes in that Beats game, it wasn't just the Offside. He lined up in the wrong position once as well and played completely the wrong gap a couple of times. BUT he also flashed his explosiveness, natural bend and get off. There is definitely something there with him. He is one to watch in camp and pre-season. Because his mistakes are all correctable, whereas what he has can't be taught. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Why do we still have the same D line Coach that oversaw the development of high round picks - Oliver, AJ, Groot, Boogie?  

What successes are they having besides sacking Mike White and Davis Mills a lot?  

This is beyond ridiculous that we should be this concerned still with the D Line and edge guys.  

Oliver has been good when not hurt the last two years. Just needs to stay healthy. Groot definitely developed from yr 1 to yr 2. He isn't going to suddenly become an explosive, bendy pass rusher.... that isn't who we drafted. He wins with length and leverage he will never be "flashy". If you have a problem with that it is a Beane issue not a coaching one. And AJ had a decent year as a situational edge rusher last year. By far his best in the NFL. Still hasn't lived up to his draft selection and I am not sure even now I loved their "slim down and change your game" plan with him but again that is on Beane / McD not Eric Washington. The one guy I will give you has been bad and shown no progress is Boogie. I just think they blew the evaluation on him myself. He is the exact NFL player I expected him to be.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He had multiple mistakes in that Beats game, it wasn't just the Offside. He lined up in the wrong position once as well and played completely the wrong gap a couple of times. BUT he also flashed his explosiveness, natural bend and get off. There is definitely something there with him. He is one to watch in camp and pre-season. Because his mistakes are all correctable, whereas what he has can't be taught. 

Definitely a Dark Horse for me. I thought that he flashed some real pass rushing ability.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, purely from an athletic standpoint Kingsley Jonathan has pretty rare skills.

• Agree 1

On 4/5/2023 at 12:33 PM, HappyDays said:

So far the Bills haven't signed a single edge rusher in free agency. I can't be the only one that thinks this is still a need, not with Von Miller's timetable being up in the air.

There are still a lot of edge rushers available. Full list here:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/edge/available/

A few names that jump out to me:

Bud Dupree

Leonard Floyd

Frank Clark

Robert Quinn

Yannick Ngakoue

Melvin Ingram

Justin Houston

Carlos Dunlap

I'm guessing some of these will be signed after the draft. What should our plan be?

If they dont go Wr I bet they go edge.  Nolan Smith would be a interesting addition.   

On 4/5/2023 at 12:39 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

It's really surprising there are that many quality edge guys.

I'm guessing a decent amount of them won't sign anywhere until the draft.

Call me crazy, but I'd like to sign 2 of these guys.   I'll take 2 of  Floyd, Quinn, Ingram, Houston, Dunlap.  I think the others may be too much $

Floyd has gotten 9-10 each of the last 3 seasons. Von knows him. 
Quinn had a down year, but 18.5 sacks in 2021.....could potentially be the steal of free agency 
Ingram is a Bills terror. We could use some nasty. The guy causes chaos routinely that isn't on the stat sheet

Just because a guy did well AGAINST the Bills doesn't mean he would fare well FOR them,especially now he is a year older.

So...you sign TWO of them? Why would two free agents come to Buffalo ,knowing the other was signing? Where would they play? And what happens when Miller returns? Who do you cut?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.