Edge rushers still available in free agency

HappyDays

So far the Bills haven't signed a single edge rusher in free agency. I can't be the only one that thinks this is still a need, not with Von Miller's timetable being up in the air.

There are still a lot of edge rushers available. Full list here:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/edge/available/

A few names that jump out to me:

Bud Dupree

Leonard Floyd

Frank Clark

Robert Quinn

Yannick Ngakoue

Melvin Ingram

Justin Houston

Carlos Dunlap

I'm guessing some of these will be signed after the draft. What should our plan be?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's really surprising there are that many quality edge guys.

I'm guessing a decent amount of them won't sign anywhere until the draft.

Call me crazy, but I'd like to sign 2 of these guys.   I'll take 2 of  Floyd, Quinn, Ingram, Houston, Dunlap.  I think the others may be too much $

Floyd has gotten 9-10 each of the last 3 seasons. Von knows him. 
Quinn had a down year, but 18.5 sacks in 2021.....could potentially be the steal of free agency 
Ingram is a Bills terror. We could use some nasty. The guy causes chaos routinely that isn't on the stat sheet

• Agree 1

These guys all show flashes, but none are consistent at their age.  I think this is a result of, albeit a higher cap number, most teams being right up against it.   All of them will find homes on 1 year deals after the draft.  If we bring one of them in, I don't see Shaq coming back.  With Von, Groot, AJ, Boogie already on the team, there's only so many open spots left.  Not to say I'd be hurt to see AJ or Boogie go away

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So far the Bills haven't signed a single edge rusher in free agency. I can't be the only one that thinks this is still a need, not with Von Miller's timetable being up in the air.

Bud Dupree

Leonard Floyd

Frank Clark

Robert Quinn

Yannick Ngakoue

Melvin Ingram

Justin Houston

Carlos Dunlap

I'm guessing some of these will be signed after the draft. What should our plan be?

I would try to get one right now then if another one fell to us somewhere during the draft we could try to trade or dump boogie or somebody else.

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I would try to get one right now then if another one fell to us somewhere during the draft we could try to trade or dump boogie or somebody else.

If we can snag one now cheap that doesn't count against comp formula sure!  I'd LOVE Ingram, but not sure if we would have interest or if he would.  Anytime we've played against him on PIT, KC, MIA he has wrecked us 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 1

Floyd is possibly the cheapest option there. And imo would be an upgrade. 

im not 100% on Ingram mostly because how much I believe he would cost. But if he could be had for a reasonable salary to be a rotational guy. Sure. 

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Bud Dupree

Leonard Floyd

Frank Clark

Robert Quinn

Yannick Ngakoue

Melvin Ingram

Justin Houston

Carlos Dunlap

There are several guys on this list I wouldn't mind seeing us sign for the right price.  Like it or not, Von is both a question mark and concern given the timing of his injury, his age, and the kind of player he is.  

So I wouldn't mind signing some depth or insurance of a proven pass rusher, likely on a 1 year deal.  And for us, money is going to be the primary factor, as with most potential landing spots for these guys.  So I think it's unlikely any of these guys sign anywhere until after the draft.  These guys value will go down as teams who might have been potential suitors grab guys in the draft and they have less options on the open market.  And with this many guys on the free agent market, teams don't really have any reason to rush to sign one.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If we can snag one now cheap that doesn't count against comp formula sure!

Anyone we sign after the draft doesn't count towards the formula. That's when I'm guessing a lot of these guys will be signed.

The one that really intrigues me is Ngakoue but I have no clue what kind of AAV he'll be looking at. This late in the offseason you'd have to assume it will be cheaper than expected. Is there any way we could get him for 1 year $5 million or something like that? That's probably the ceiling of what we can afford.

Great post.  

Landing one of these guys is extremely important imo.  We don’t want to rush von back and making the playoffs without him is no sure thing.  Unless AJ or boogie makes huge strides this offseason Rousseau needs help.  Big time.  Worst case scenario should be Shaq and a rookie but I’d prefer everyone on your list list @HappyDays

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.