NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Campbell has been mocking Torrence to the Bills. (Then two DTs back to back.) Bad pick and not a good sequence, imo. He didn't have the Bills take any skill position players, so I find that unlikely and not smart. But the view that the Bills are soft and need toughness on both sides of the trenches is something some ex-player pundits were talking about on ESPN the other day, so maybe there is something to it. Bresee, Bergeron, Hopkins for 91 could work.

(It would have to be Mazi Smith or Myles Murphy according to your model, LE, but I prefer Bresee so plugged him into the speculation.)

I think a real dark horse , if the Bills go the OL route in round 1 is Joe Tippmann from Wisconsin.  Beane has always valued the Center position in Carolina and when he came to Buffalo he signed Morse. 

If you want to get bigger and stronger on the offensive line the one obvious area is Center and since Morse is out after this year Tippmann would make a lot of sense. 

Benches and squats a ton, would be in the top 5% in size amongst NFL Centers and hits the Bills midwestern blue collar type. No he’s not 21 but he did just turn 22 like last month so he’s very close. 

I also have stated before that if you look at history, Centers tend to rise as the draft gets closer 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think a real dark horse , if the Bills go the OL route in round 1 is Joe Tippmann from Wisconsin.  Beane has always valued the Center position in Carolina and when he came to Buffalo he signed Morse. 

If you want to get bigger and stronger on the offensive line the one obvious area is Center and since Morse is out after this year Tippmann would make a lot of sense. 

Benches and squats a ton, would be in the top 5% in size amongst NFL Centers and hits the Bills midwestern blue collar type. No he’s not 21 but he did just turn 22 like last month so he’s very close. 

I also have stated before that if you look at history, Centers tend to rise as the draft gets closer 

Folks will be intolerable here if you take a C at 27. I think it becomes easier to sell if you can do that Hopkins swap and take him at 34. Some of the experts, whoever they are, seem to like John Michael Schmitz as the top C. He's supposed to be a tough guy, but older. Anyway, I think it's a shrewd dark horse possibility. 

Edited by Dr. Who

17 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If we were to draft him and acquire DHop, in 3 or 4WR sets he’s going to beat man or zone coverage deep. A lot. 

That would put a ton of stress on defenses and what to do with their safeties.

Josh could just throw it 60 yards to him 3-4 times a game 

Lol.  You’re all over the place. Trade for Dhop and draft a WR rd 1.  Drafting both dawand and Anton.  

I think we’ll add 1 WR and (hopefully) 1 OT somewhere. I wouldn’t hate adding 2 WRs, but looking at Beanes history, that’s not gonna happen.  

We might not even draft one OT, let alone 2.  😢 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lol.  You’re all over the place. Trade for Dhop and draft a WR rd 1.  Drafting both dawand and Anton.  

I think we’ll add 1 WR and (hopefully) 1 OT somewhere. I wouldn’t hate adding 2 WRs, but looking at Beanes history, that’s not gonna happen.  

Every year I get excited about the draft and nearly every year (I was one of the few who was really happy when they drafted Josh Allen), it's anti-climactic. I know this going in, yet I can't help getting drawn into the endless speculation and hoping for various players that pretty much never show up. (Or maybe that's the Great Pumpkin, I forget.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

yup. I’m trying to take a positive approach about multiple outcomes!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

yup. I’m trying to take a positive approach about multiple outcomes!

Word.  I’m thinking rd 1 will disappointing-  hopefully not as disappointing as last year.  I understood, but hated the Elam pick.

I’ve come to accept Spencer Brown @ RT in 2023.  😢 it makes me so sad as I think he’s trash and his foot speed will ensure him staying trash.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Every year I get excited about the draft and nearly every year (I was one of the few who was really happy when they drafted Josh Allen), it's anti-climactic. I know this going in, yet I can't help getting drawn into the endless speculation and hoping for various players that pretty much never show up. (Or maybe that's the Great Pumpkin, I forget.)

Yeah that is the way the draft is.   Fans fantasize that they are going to get 7 eventual starters out of every draft.........and in reality it's a good one if you get a few.   With the exception of getting a franchise QB it's basically impossible to live up the hype.    Then they get depressed by the actual picks.   Then when you look at the final results it usually looks like every team that didn't have 2-3 first round picks had a bad draft. :lol:   

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It has not been that bad for awhile though. The Donohoe years were the worst in early rounds. 

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah that is the way the draft is.   Fans fantasize that they are going to get 7 eventual starters out of every draft.........and in reality it's a good one if you get a few.   With the exception of getting a franchise QB it's basically impossible to live up the hype.    Then they get depressed by the actual picks.   Then when you look at the final results it usually looks like every team that didn't have 2-3 first round picks had a bad draft. :lol:   

this why i would always trade back from the first round pick and then use the 4-7 picks to trade up to the third for picks there. Having your team made of 2 and 3 rounders would make for a superior team overall and then use free agents to fill out the team.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I remember the draft where we took Rousseau and a bunch of depth players.  This was right after we made it to the AFC title game. Instead of drafting some pro ready guys, we took Basham, brown, Doyle, etc. I remember being super pissed that we didn’t get guys that would help us immediately. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Word.  I’m thinking rd 1 will disappointing-  hopefully not as disappointing as last year.  I understood, but hated the Elam pick.

I’ve come to accept Spencer Brown @ RT in 2023.  😢 it makes me so sad as I think he’s trash and his foot speed will ensure him staying trash.

I hated the Elam pick too. I dreaded corner in round 1, then they traded up for one. Haha. That was horrible. I wanted them to get Hall in 1 and wait on Woolen or Taylor-Britt. Hmmm…

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

this why i would always trade back from the first round pick and then use the 4-7 picks to trade up to the third for picks there. Having your team made of 2 and 3 rounders would make for a superior team overall and then use free agents to fill out the team.

Except we have mostly sucked at drafting in rounds 2 and 3…

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I remember the draft where we took Rousseau and a bunch of depth players.  This was right after we made it to the AFC title game. Instead of drafting some pro ready guys, we took Basham, brown, Doyle, etc. I remember being super pissed that we didn’t get guys that would help us immediately. 

I haven't loved Beane's drafts, but forgive him a lot because he got Josh Allen.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I haven't loved Beane's drafts, but forgive him a lot because he got Josh Allen.

Yeah…hitting on the qb will buy you a lot of time. It’s starting to get a little critical for him though. Gotta start hitting on some of these guys. 

• Agree 4

10 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I hated the Elam pick too. I dreaded corner in round 1, then they traded up for one. Haha. That was horrible. I wanted them to get Hall in 1 and wait on Woolen or Taylor-Britt. Hmmm…

Except we have mostly sucked at drafting in rounds 2 and 3…

Mostly but that should be the strategy, Beane needs to get the stars and not so called fits. Imagine if we had Deebo and DK on this team.

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Mostly but that should be the strategy, Beane needs to get the stars and not so called fits. Imagine if we had Deebo and DK on this team.

Deebo would not be the player he is away from Kyle Shanahan IMO. Doesn't mean he'd suck but in most other offenses he has less production. And other than 2021 his production isn't blowing your socks off in any event (I know some of that is health related). 

48 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The worst part about the draft is EVERYONE IS AWESOME.  All the way down to the guy you get in round 7.  

And with the 254th pick, the 49ers select.................Herman Hennyhoo, FB, West Central Rhode Island Tech.

Kiper:  "What I like about this guy is he can come in right away and give you a goal line option that is a threat to run or catch, and that will take some attention away from McCaffrey, freeing him up to do even more in the 49er offense.  GREAT pick here in round 7"  

Herbstreit: "I agree Mel...I think the 49ers just got the next greaat FB...can'tg believe he fell this far...great pick!"

Reality - Hennyhoo doesn't make the team and McCaffrey was always going to be good no matter what.

IF you were a betting man, you'd just say every single pick after the top 20 SUCK and you'd be right 90 percent of the time.  I wish there was an alternate draft broadcast with dudes who were mostly negative about why each prospect woun't amount to anything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Hmm. Charles Davis and Charlie Campbell both suddenly mocking Paris Johnson to the Cardinals at #3. That is noteworthy IMO. They definitely have am oline need and they can probably get a good edge early in the 2nd.... whereas not sure they get a good tackle there. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. Charles Davis and Charlie Campbell both suddenly mocking Paris Johnson to the Cardinals at #3. That is noteworthy IMO. They definitely have am oline need and they can probably get a good edge early in the 2nd.... whereas not sure they get a good tackle there. 

Unfortunately, he still has us taking O'Cyrus Torrence.

47 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

The worst part about the draft is EVERYONE IS AWESOME.  All the way down to the guy you get in round 7.  

And with the 254th pick, the 49ers select.................Herman Hennyhoo, FB, West Central Rhode Island Tech.

Kiper:  "What I like about this guy is he can come in right away and give you a goal line option that is a threat to run or catch, and that will take some attention away from McCaffrey, freeing him up to do even more in the 49er offense.  GREAT pick here in round 7"  

Herbstreit: "I agree Mel...I think the 49ers just got the next greaat FB...can'tg believe he fell this far...great pick!"

Reality - Hennyhoo doesn't make the team and McCaffrey was always going to be good no matter what.

IF you were a betting man, you'd just say every single pick after the top 20 SUCK and you'd be right 90 percent of the time.  I wish there was an alternate draft broadcast with dudes who were mostly negative about why each prospect woun't amount to anything.

Better yet, niners draft a QB last pick of the draft.

Mel - “Niners got a steal here!”

Herbstreit - “I agree Mel, I see him leading this team to the playoffs this year!”

😂

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I’ve seen that as well. It does make sense for exactly what you said. The OL really thins out at tackle after the initial group. I still think they try to trade down to select him at like 7 say the Raiders want up 

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

One of my least favorite drafts ever…Was so excited that so many guys I wanted ended up falling to us- I figure there was no way to mess it up…Then Beane goes and drafts Groot, who I felt was 2nd round talent, and one of my least favorite pass rushers of the top guys…

Edited by JaCrispy

6 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

One of my least favorite drafts ever…Was so excited that so many guys I wanted ended up falling to us- I figure there was no way to mess it up…Then Beane goes and drafts Groot, who I felt was 2nd round talent, and one of my least favorite pass rushers of the top guys…

image.png.8d1db66d6e46e3e5948af5e53d818e4d.png

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Daniel Jeremiah from NFL .com has us taking Q Johnson WR, and passing on Darnell Wright who’s picked by the Chiefs

😬

If this happened, Beane should be fired before round 2…😉

Sad part is, given his draft history, I could actually see Beane doing something this stupid…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Daniel Jeremiah from NFL .com has us taking Q Johnson WR, and passing on Darnell Wright who’s picked by the Chiefs

😬

Awesome. We get a WR with elite traits instead of a RT only with slow feet. What boggles my mind is how anybody could hate that outcome.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Awesome. We get a WR with elite traits instead of a RT only with slow feet. What boggles my mind is how anybody could hate that outcome.

We won’t need QJ after we acquire DHop tomorrow though ;) 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I like the idea of WR…I just don’t think Johnston is the type of WR Josh needs…Allen requires guys who can get separation in small spaces…That’s not what Johnston is good at with his less than optimal route running …

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Man........you had a really bad eye for pass rushers.:lol:

And Groot has been the best DE(or DL)  from that entire draft........by a lot.

Phillips is the only one with as many sacks......he has 3 more.........but he has played 50% more snaps.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I like the idea of WR…I just don’t think Johnston is the type of WR Josh needs…Allen requires guys who can get separation in small spaces…That’s not what Johnston is good at with his less than optimal route running …

Allen also likes guys that get vertical separation so he can throw bombs downfield.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m good with the Rousseau pick.  I’m hoping he comes into his own this year .. the floor is decent, but we drafted him for his ceiling.  

The Basham and Bernard picks are types of picks that shake your faith in this Front Office.  

Literally every fan hated the picks at the time … and thus far, have been proven correct.  

Despite what we think, I doubt many of us want to believe we know more about drafting than the people paid to do it for our team.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

If this happened, Beane should be fired before round 2…😉

Sad part is, given his draft history, I could actually see Beane doing something this stupid…

Doing something so stupid as drafting a WR over a RT?  Idk man.  I’m the biggest Spencer brown hater on the board from my recollection and while I’d prefer wright, I’d be happy that we added a playmaker.  Some people aren’t very high on wright. And some people are very high on Johnston.  Just depends how our scouting dept views each prospect. Both have their flaws

• Like (+1) 3

He’s actually a pretty precise route runner.  Not sure why some think he isn’t.  Biggest question marks are his hands as he had some drops and doesn’t always play up to his size the way you would think for contested balls.  But route running is one of his strengths.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

You’ve been getting extra crispy tonight haven’t ya?  Josh requires guys who can get open in small spaces? Wth.  He’s requires 1 or 2, sure.  But also he needs guys to go deep.  He needs guys who can take a screen to the house.  He needs guys that are open when their not.  And Johnston can get open in small spaces.  He can just turn and box out several corners based on his size.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He’s actually a pretty precise route runner.  Not sure why some think he isn’t.  Biggest question marks are his hands as he had some drops and doesn’t always play up to his size the way you would think for contested balls.  But route running is one of his strengths.  

So he’s Gabe Davis…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.