Who hoists the hardware first?

GreggTX

Who wins it all first?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Bills, Sabres win it all first or never gonna happen?

• Bills win Superbowl first
    • Sabres win Stanley Cup first
    • Neither team will ever win it all

7 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Except it was almost half the size, 14 to 8 teams.  I wouldn't call either "World Champions" given there were competing leagues.

There were major leagues at the time, so each champion has the right to claim a world championship. Just like there have been numerous times in college football were there were two different teams ranked number one in the coaches and AP polls. Both teams have the right to claim to be champions.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

When you’ aren’t bashing Allen you’re telling me the Sabres are a juggernaut interesting wording 

Why are you so contentious about having any conversation at all.

I never said they were a juggernaut. Like at all. They’re a middling team in a log jam of middling teams in a fight for the last playoff spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m a die hard bills fan from way down state…drive 7 hours each way to the stadium, Sunday ticket forever, listen to WGR every day, never miss a snap of the seasons. I’m Guna come at this from an alt end here being a big Rangers fan….stop. Stop trying to make the Sabres good. The Bills are among the Super Bowl favorites, I get it…people are having fun for some reason. The Sabres aren’t good. I’m sorry 

Nothing to be sorry about if you think the past 10 years of the Sabres are the same this year.

If you do you should catch up on the team.

They have made great strides and are a top young team in the league.

Things change.  Where you one of the fans who said nothing will change with the Bills prior to 2017?

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 2/18/2023 at 8:49 AM, PrimeTime101 said:

by not showing names in a poll like this you are setting it up for trolls.

we either have 11 trolls or 11 non bills fans voting. as a fan of both sports, i cant even put in my head that neither team will win it. 

Being fans should have nothing to do with our capacity to interpret statistics. Even the Super Bowl favorite each year is statistically unlikely to win it all, compared to the field. Weren't the Bills THE betting line favorite last offseason, but still only ~8% likely to actually do it? So even Bills fans, and maybe especially Bills fans, can appreciate how statistically UNlikely a Super Bowl win is for ANY team in a given season, no matter how successful they've been and project to be. 

Nothing is guaranteed. Nothing given. Neither Dan Fouts nor Dan Marino ever won a Super Bowl, despite how awesome they were.

Thus, voting against any championships in Buffalo is actually smart. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's funny how everyone blames coaching for the devastating injuries the Bills endured. Also, if you don't think the Sabres have a very bright future, you aren't paying attention. Even their developmental talent is looking really good including all 3 of their 1st round picks from the most recent draft. Oh! You probably didn't know they had 3 picks in the 1st round, did you? They've hit on a very good GM and coaching with a ton of talent in the pipeline. They already lead the NHL in scoring. So they won't be really good in the near future? Because something didn't happen in the past, doesn't mean it can't happen in the future. The right building blocks are already in place. I'm really excited for the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Being fans should have nothing to do with our capacity to interpret statistics. Even the Super Bowl favorite each year is statistically unlikely to win it all, compared to the field. Weren't the Bills THE betting line favorite last offseason, but still only ~8% likely to actually do it? So even Bills fans, and maybe especially Bills fans, can appreciate how statistically UNlikely a Super Bowl win is for ANY team in a given season, no matter how successful they've been and project to be. 

Nothing is guaranteed. Nothing given. Neither Dan Fouts nor Dan Marino ever won a Super Bowl, despite how awesome they were.

Thus, voting against any championships in Buffalo is actually smart. 

yea? and what about the trolls? how do they change things?

The Sabres have a good shot at making the playoffs this year. Nobody expects a Cup or even a playoff run but making the playoffs is very important for this team. They would break their playoff less streak like the Bills did in McDermott's first year. It would give the players some playoff experience which is a great thing to have going forward. It would also show that the Sabres rebuild is working this time in building a winning culture. Just like the Bills have done.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/18/2023 at 8:10 AM, Not at the table Karlos said:

Good question. That’s tough. The Bills are in their window but once the Sabres defense and goaltending develops/improves they’re going to be a force for years. They’re building something special.  

If I had to guess I would say Bills but I think both will have championships in the near future.

The Bills’ window is closing faster than windows in the house on Amityville Horror. 

I don’t think either team wins a championship anytime soon. But given their depth and youth, the Sabres have a more realistic window in the next 3-5 years. It takes less wins in the NFL to get one, but the NHL usually proves to be a more even playing field once you get into the playoffs.

1 minute ago, DasNootz said:

I think the Bills window with this roster is nearly closed... the Sabres have a longer way to go, but are on a upward trend and their window is just getting unlocked.

Agreed. Sabres are in position to begin identifying and pursuing a couple (expensive) vets to perhaps put them over the hump. It’s a convenient position - and one they SHOULD be in given their glut of top picks over the years. Bills are reaching the point of annual roster turnover and hoping a collection of vets and spare parts can gel and overcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2023 at 6:30 AM, Nextmanup said:

Hard disagree.  If that's your way of sayin "he's really good" I agree with you.

Dan Marino was really good too.  Played in the big dance in year 2 of his career.

Never won a ring.  To name one comp.  

Nothing is guaranteed and a lot has to come together to win it all, especially with our in-game coaching staff, which remains a liability.

Agreed. JA17 is a great person and competitor who will do what he can to bring it home. It could happen but given our cap situation, schedule and coaching, I just don’t see it happening for next couple years. Things that last year showed us to anyone who is being honest is JA 17 not best QB in league and maybe not even top 5 last year.  That could change and Josh can get better at checking things down especially in red zone but things seem to be trending the wrong way and while the story book ending would be nice, there is no guarantee he ever gets one. 

On 2/18/2023 at 5:33 PM, Success said:

To the 30% saying neither team will ever win:

Josh Allen will not retire without a ring.  It is mathematically impossible.  

Mathematically impossible?  How so?  I'm guessing you've never taken Statistics or Probabilities in your studies.  It is absolutely mathematically possible...It's actually more probable than not. 

Dan Marino

Fran Tarkenton

Warren Moon

Dan Fouts

Jim Kelly

Randall Cunningham

Philip Rivers

Michael Vick

So, all these quarterbacks were mathematically possible in never winning a SB but JA is mathematically impossible?  Makes no sense.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

The Bills’ window is closing faster than windows in the house on Amityville Horror. 

As long as the Bills have Allen, I don't think the window will completely close. I don't want to say "rebuild" but Beane has to do some retooling of this roster. OL improvement is must. Give Allen a strong OL and he will make the receivers around him better. Another weapon at WR would also help. We are probably going to lose some key players in FA so how Beane handles this offseason with the draft/FA is key. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/18/2023 at 1:54 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

The Sabres haven’t made the playoffs in 11 years and have less points then a rebuilding red wings team. If you don’t pick the Bills I don’t know what to tell you. Maybe follow log rolling 🤷‍♂️

The Sabres are the youngest team in hockey and are fairly equal (ie 2 points) with the Wings, despite them going on an off-season spending spree. The Sabres have 4 point per game players with 5 over 20 goals. They have arguably the best defenseman in hockey and another one following in his footsteps. Detroit has 1 PPG player, the only one over 20 goals.

In 2 years, with competent goaltending, they’ll be going deep into the playoffs. A hot goalie is sometimes the only thing needed to win a Cup and they have the hottest goalie in the NCAA over the past 2 years. 

Other than that, the shelf life of good teams in the NHL lasts much longer than good teams in the NFL. NFL teams usually have a much shorter window and the Bills window inched down a little since this past season due to Allen’s contract. Longer open window means more tries. 

My money says the Sabres. You can stick with log rolling. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

The Sabres are the youngest team in hockey and are fairly equal (ie 2 points) with the Wings, despite them going on an off-season spending spree. The Sabres have 4 point per game players with 5 over 20 goals. They have arguably the best defenseman in hockey and another one following in his footsteps. Detroit has 1 PPG player, the only one over 20 goals.

In 2 years, with competent goaltending, they’ll be going deep into the playoffs. A hot goalie is sometimes the only thing needed to win a Cup and they have the hottest goalie in the NCAA over the past 2 years. 

Other than that, the shelf life of good teams in the NHL lasts much longer than good teams in the NFL. NFL teams usually have a much shorter window and the Bills window inched down a little since this past season due to Allen’s contract. Longer open window means more tries. 

Ryan Oreilly is kinda chuckling at your post 

On 2/21/2023 at 7:48 AM, Gregg said:

As long as the Bills have Allen, I don't think the window will completely close. I don't want to say "rebuild" but Beane has to do some retooling of this roster. OL improvement is must. Give Allen a strong OL and he will make the receivers around him better. Another weapon at WR would also help. We are probably going to lose some key players in FA so how Beane handles this offseason with the draft/FA is key. 

I think we have a 2-3 year reset. We have to clear some cap and reassess where and how we allocate our resources. 

That’s not to say the Bills still can’t be a good team during that time. They can. Hopefully they will. But we wont get the hype or vibe out of OBD for another few years. 

Stuff like this is what makes the tenures of Tomlin and Harbaugh so impressive. A lot of times really good teams burn so so hit as they chase a trophy, if (when) they inevitably take a step or two, or three back, coaches can lose the locker room.

McDermott will be tested. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

Not to mention the team has their best players under contract until 2025 and they’ll easily be extended into 2030 after the next season or two. 

It’s so hard to compare the two. Sure Hasek carried a bad team to the Finals but there is no equivalent to the importance of the QB in the NFL. A 17 week season and one off playoffs means you can play above yourself in 5-6 games in a row and win a SB. You just can’t do that in an 82 game season and 7 game playoff series. 

I give the Bills a chance every year they have Allen. But I don’t like the direction of the team outside of QB. I found them frustrating to watch as the season went on. The Sabres are a lot more fun at the moment. And yes that includes the Leafs game. They got much better as the game went on. 

I think Haseks 99 season is likely the greatest single season by any player in Buffalo sports history.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

One team on the up, and one that has plateaued. 

Without even seeing our best Defensive player in the playoffs in Von Miller and considering all the other obstacles the Bills faced I think leveling off is a fair assessment.

The Bills are a better football team then we seen vs Cinci without making any changes on the roster IMO.

The fact that the Sabres have missed the playoffs as much as they have in a league wirh more playoff berths is way worse than the Bills drought. Plus, they have constantly have had top 5 picks, which the Bills rarely have. So it’s more than Tim’s they have a good team.

this Sabres team is very entertaining. Love making money betting their overs. As someone who loved hockey and grew up playing it, I’m so happy they are fun. It would be awesome if they made the playoffs. And I would love any Buffalo championship. But hockey still feels a little minor league in the big picture. But I would have a lot of fun celebrating. Bills would be a national story and it would feel so amazing.

18 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

One team on the up, and one that has plateaued. 

Settle down Doug. Sabres haven’t even made the playoffs yet. 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The fact that the Sabres have missed the playoffs as much as they have in a league wirh more playoff berths is way worse than the Bills drought. Plus, they have constantly have had top 5 picks, which the Bills rarely have. So it’s more than Tim’s they have a good team.

this Sabres team is very entertaining. Love making money betting their overs. As someone who loved hockey and grew up playing it, I’m so happy they are fun. It would be awesome if they made the playoffs. And I would love any Buffalo championship. But hockey still feels a little minor league in the big picture. But I would have a lot of fun celebrating. Bills would be a national story and it would feel so amazing.

Settle down Doug. Sabres haven’t even made the playoffs yet. 

Of course, they still have a month to screw things up. 

But, I also think it’s unfair to compare playoff droughts and drafting between the 2. NHL draftees take many more years to properly develop compared to NFL draftees, many of which become starters right out of college. So, naturally it’s going to take more years to turn the ship around. 

• Like (+1) 1

Obviously, at some point these teams will win titles. It may not be soon but math basically says that it is inevitable. I think that it is still the Bills but the Sabres will be contending within the next 3-5 years.

I think a more interesting question would be Bills or Bengals first? I would have said Bills as off the start of 2022 but I don’t know now. I’d probably say that the Bengals are a little more likely.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.