5 years and one glaring weakness remains the same…..

BillMafia716ix

The thing that really puzzles me is that McDermott and Beane have been here 5 years now and still haven’t developed a running game!! You have to run the football and keeep defenses honest. It opens up everything when you can run the football. 

We don’t need to throw money at WR. We need to Invest in the offensive line and show a commitment to running the ball!! We have a RB in Devin Singletary who has career average of 4.7 yards a carry and I feel like his entire tenure here was wasted. Now they about to let him walk out the door and promote James Cook who quite frankly too me is not a 3 down RB. 

Find an offensive coordinator who can develop a running game and the production of guys like Gabe Davis, Shakir, Knox will increase. It shame that we have a team that plays in the cold and we can’t run the football. 

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Next season will be interesting, even if Singletary is re-signed.  Neither Cook nor Hines (assuming he will be back) seems to be an every down back and both have similarities in their skill sets.  We have lacked a "move the pile" type running back, and if Singletary leaves via free agency, one can argue that we will need another starting quality RB to fill out the running back group.  Not an ideal situation to be in after using draft resources on Moss, Singletary and Cook over the last number of years.

• Like (+1) 1

It's because their philosophy doesn't value interior guards and o linemen as places to spend money and resources and have missed on what they did spend or traded it away.

Until we get good line play, we won't be a good running team when it matters most.

Sure we ran well when they played the pass, but short yardage woes tell the tale.

Edited by Sharky7337

10 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

The thing that really puzzles me is that McDermott and Beane have been here 5 years now and still haven’t developed a running game!! You have to run the football and keeep defenses honest. It opens up everything when you can run the football. 

We don’t need to throw money at WR. We need to Invest in the offensive line and show a commitment to running the ball!! We have a RB in Devin Singletary who has career average of 4.7 yards a carry and I feel like his entire tenure here was wasted. Now they about to let him walk out the door and promote James Cook who quite frankly too me is not a 3 down RB. 

Find an offensive coordinator who can develop a running game and the production of guys like Gabe Davis, Shakir, Knox will increase. It shame that we have a team that plays in the cold and we can’t run the football. 

I think the poor drafting in the first couple rounds over the last 4 years has really hurt this team.  Lots of aging vets and free agents and nobody on roster ready to replace them. Too many role players drafted high.  This roster is in some serious trouble going forward.  

Edited by GolfandBills

8 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Knox isn't a great blocking TE which hurts, toss in outside of Morse and Dawkins the rest of our offensive line are average guys. I'm not sure if someone can teach it but Cook seeming always trips himself not sure why. 

3 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Next season will be interesting, even if Singletary is re-signed.  Neither Cook nor Hines (assuming he will be back) seems to be an every down back and both have similarities in their skill sets.  We have lacked a "move the pile" type running back, and if Singletary leaves via free agency, one can argue that we will need another starting quality RB to fill out the running back group.  Not an ideal situation to be in after using draft resources on Moss, Singletary and Cook over the last number of years.

if Singletary walks we just need a plugger. To me Chris Rodriguez Jr. would fit the roll and not cost high draft capital. 

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Our run game was fine.

We had the 7th most rushing yards per game in the regular season. Bengals were 29th. 

Chiefs have never had a great rushing attack with Mahomes and they've been to 5 straight AFCCG

Most of those yards was from the QB improvising. Don’t be fooled by the stats

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You beat me to this topic. When the dust settles and you look back at the season you realize that the Bills went absolutely NOWHERE this year. Their strengths remained exactly the same, as did their weaknesses. While other teams retooled and reworked themselves (KC receivers and Bengals OL), the Bills thought they could stand pat and everything would simply work out in the end. The result was that everything remained almost exactly the same, including the earlier than desired playoff exit. 

15 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Our run game was fine.

We had the 7th most rushing yards per game in the regular season. Bengals were 29th. 

Chiefs have never had a great rushing attack with Mahomes and they've been to 5 straight AFCCG

That’s because burrow doesn’t run and he had 3 great wrs. Also didn’t seem like the bengals had any problem at all running the ball on Sunday in snowy conditions while the Bills were in nickel formation the entire game. The bengals did the same thing and we refused to use our rbs. Absolutely atrocious game planning.

Breece Hall.  

Offensive Head Coach thinking might have got us that pick.  

Defensive Head Coach is thinking about making sure his defense is as close to elite as possible.  

I really like Elam.  But apparently he clearly needed a year.  I guess.  

This wasn’t a draft to pick guys that needed a year.  

That’s a Beane failure.  

The Diggs window is closing.  

I think the glaring weakness is their reluctance to spend top picks and resources on the offense altogether. Yes, I know they traded a first rounder for Diggs, but why stop there?  They used a few seconds on offense, but it’s not enough. The guys they drafted for defense have been role players on an idiotic rotation, and not dawgs that can make an immediate impact. Their entire draft philosophy needs to change. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

That’s because burrow doesn’t run and he had 3 great wrs. Also didn’t seem like the bengals had any problem at all running the ball on Sunday in snowy conditions while the Bills were in nickel formation the entire game. The bengals did the same thing and we refused to use our rbs. Absolutely atrocious game planning.

So we're taking a 1 game sample size and applying it to the past 5 years?

Our run game sucked ass on Sunday, but in general, it's more than strong enough to win a SB. 

You do not need a great running game to make/win the SB. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Agree. But we need offensive lineman and a #2 receiver to accomplish this. Just changing coordinator wouldn't in itself solve the no running game.

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Breece Hall.  

And how does this fix our OL.... or our non existent short passing game... It does not. Maybe Brece disguises our weakness a little more but our OC is incapable of designing an O that would of taken advantage of what Breece could do. Heck we barely used Crowder or Cook both whom should of been more involved in that way.

Although I wish we did spend more resources surrounding Josh with a a better cast, we need 3 new OL and another TE and true #2 WR.... but cocching was our biggest enemy and Allen struggled because of a tired predicatable O scheme.. Allen was capable of masking the ineptness of our scheme, but when you peeled back the layers you end up with the OC

It is and always will be about a quality O-line, or the lack there in. The powers that be don’t see this as being especially important, odds are they will continue to use bailing wire and chewing gum to piece together the O-line as they have pretty much done from the get go. Beane et all; are Cam Newtoning Josh’s career,  it’s their version of doing the RG3 thing to him.

Who was Patrick Mahomes RB in college when he was putting up 500 yards a game? The answer is who cares! The passing offense can be an extension of the running game. What's the difference between a handoff and a dump off to a wide open RB in the flat? Running is overrated and when the Bills do it and gain 1-2 yards it's like why even bother when that just means you have 1 less opportunity to complete a pass. Running game need is overrated 

• Agree 1

The purpose of the offense is to score points. They did that. The purpose of the defense is to stop the opponents from scoring points. They did that too! The Bills finished with close to the best record and close to the best point differential. Done, and done! They lost on Sunday because the coaching staff didn’t properly prepare their players to play a football game…period! 

Either none of his RBs were drafted to be #1’s or his evals are brutal.  Singletary is clearly a #2 and limited.  Moss was a 205 pound “power back” from the PAC 12 who is the very definition of JAG.  Cook was never a #1.  Not in high school or college.  If his brother wasn’t a stud he would’ve been a 4th or 5th rounder.  
If Beane was commited to finding a true #1 he had his chances and could’ve traded up for a few last year.  
I honestly don’t know what the hell he’s thinking 

35 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I have always thought the Moss pick the year he was drafted was a TOTAL WASTE of a draft pick ! He was suppose to be the as you said move the pile back but was basically the same size as Motor and he ain't moving a very big pile . Hines has proven his worth in the return game & Motor was under used this season in a lot of ways i hope they do bring him back though .

If we look back at some of the RB's available in the later rounds that could have been that guy for the Bills of which you talk about there were more than a few Washington got 2 of them & i was a huge Robinson fan & he has been exactly who i thought he would be & could have been that guy for the Bills .

RB has been Beanes weakness for sure in some ways Motor is a good back i think Cook will get better but they need a big guy in there i just hope Beane can see it the same way we do because in a game like this last one that type of back would have been a very welcome sight !! 

36 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

And how does this fix our OL.... or our non existent short passing game... It does not. Maybe Brece disguises our weakness a little more but our OC is incapable of designing an O that would of taken advantage of what Breece could do. Heck we barely used Crowder or Cook both whom should of been more involved in that way.

Although I wish we did spend more resources surrounding Josh with a a better cast, we need 3 new OL and another TE and true #2 WR.... but cocching was our biggest enemy and Allen struggled because of a tired predicatable O scheme.. Allen was capable of masking the ineptness of our scheme, but when you peeled back the layers you end up with the OC

Because I watched Breece Hall have a pretty amazing start to the season behind a God awful offensive line.  

I swear.  Fans have totally forgotten what a legit RB looks like.  

49 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I really don’t know. But we were the number 1 team on 3rd down in the NFL. 

why does everyone take one stat and think "we must be doing right"

noooooooooooo

Maybe cause we have a freak of a QB named Josh Allen that runs for a ton of first downs on third down?

17 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

why does everyone take one stat and think "we must be doing right"

noooooooooooo

Maybe cause we have a freak of a QB named Josh Allen that runs for a ton of first downs on third down?

Is that why we’re #1 on 3rd down? I don’t know how you can criticize an OC for 3rd down when they succeed on 3rd down better than everyone else.

Thats a hard argument to make.

2 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Hello. The 80s called. They want their offense back.

We DO need to develop an effective, consistent running game, but we ALSO need more than one WR who can consistently get open and make a damn catch.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Is that why we’re #1 on 3rd down? I don’t know how you can criticize an OC for 3rd down when they succeed on 3rd down better than everyone else.

Thats a hard argument to make.

tell me. how many third and shorts has JA made on his own, and compare that with any other top 10 qb.. How many third and 7's did JA scramble cause he was running for his life to keep the ball in his hands? now take 50% of those away and lets see where our 3rd down % is

perspective

Edited by PrimeTime101

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

The purpose of the offense is to score points. They did that. The purpose of the defense is to stop the opponents from scoring points. They did that too! The Bills finished with close to the best record and close to the best point differential. Done, and done! They lost on Sunday because the coaching staff didn’t properly prepare their players to play a football game…period! 

So they didn’t do either of those things with elimination on the line. That’s why people are upset. The team is built to win but not to win it all. 

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

So we're taking a 1 game sample size and applying it to the past 5 years?

Our run game sucked ass on Sunday, but in general, it's more than strong enough to win a SB. 

You do not need a great running game to make/win the SB. 

What in the world are you taking about? We didn’t even attempt to run the ball and the few times we did we had sustained drives that moved down the field. It’s like people don’t Understand that in the playoffs you have to scheme for the team you are plying and yes factor in weather. The bengals committed to running and getting out the ball quick and it worked to perfection. We can perfectly capable of running we just didn’t even try. 

2 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Our run game was fine.

Running the ball when coverage drops back or when the game is in control is a sign of a good running team.

Running the ball effectively when the defense is expecting it is. 

You know, the way Cincy did to us. And they're not even a great running team.

Sad 😪

2 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

I think the poor drafting in the first couple rounds over the last 4 years has really hurt this team.  Lots of aging vets and free agents and nobody on roster ready to replace them. Too many role players drafted high.  This roster is in some serious trouble going forward.  

Agree 100% with you.  It will eventually cost Beane his job Imo.  Drafting has been horrible 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.