We are the 90's Packers

Mikie2times

Josh didn’t lose this game and for years he has made plays no player in FB can make.

Favre was the same way and he ended up winning a title, but for how great he was, generating multiple MVP’s, widely considered one of the best of all time…..He just wasn’t consistent enough to be a late season closer. He made deep playoff runs each year, but each year he would typically be the team who lost in the Divisional or Championship round only winning one SB.

Josh is similar to Favre. He is adored for his guts and heart and recognized for his freakish ability to do things nobody else can. With this, he’s been the bridesmaid for several years now. At this point I don’t know how anybody could make Buffalo the favorites. They will challenge each year, but at the end of the day, better or worse, we ride Allen’s back on offense and that just doesn’t work against the better teams for multiple games in a row. It’s also not always on Josh where that breakdown occurs. Our version of the Tampa 2 doesn’t seem to hold past the Wild Card.

I wish I knew the fix. I don’t think one exists. Like Favre, I think we will win a Super Bowl one day. With that, we will never be consistent. We will constantly be in the deep playoffs but we won’t break into being in the SB with consistency.  What allows us to get to that position is also the thing that prevents us form consistently getting deeper. We will remain a lethal team but eventually our style will hinder our ability to get far or deep in the playoffs with consistency.   

Edited by KzooMike

2 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Josh didn’t lose this game and for years he has made plays no player in FB can make.

Favre was the same way and he ended up winning a title, but for how great he was, generating multiple MVP’s, widely considered one of the best of all time…..He just wasn’t consistent enough to be a late season closer. He made deep playoff runs each year, but each year he would typically be the team who lost in the Divisional or Championship round only making one SB.

Josh is similar to Favre. He is adored for his guts and heart and recognized for his freakish ability to do things nobody else can. With this, he’s been the bridesmaid for several years now. At this point I don’t know how anybody could make Buffalo the favorites. They will challenge each year, but at the end of the day, better or worse, we ride Allen’s back on offense and that just doesn’t work against the better teams for multiple games in a row. It’s also not always on Josh where that breakdown occurs. Our version of the Tampa 2 doesn’t seem to hold past the Wild Card.

I wish I knew the fix. I don’t think one exists. Like Favre, I think we will win a Super Bowl one day. With that, we will never be consistent. We will constantly be in the deep playoffs but we won’t break into being in the SB with consistency.  What allows us to get to that position is also the thing that prevents us form consistently getting deeper. We will remain a lethal team but eventually our style will hinder our ability to get far or deep in the playoffs with consistency.   

To run with this further, we just played Tom Brady in his prime today. Someone else said that there was Brady, Manning and Rothlesburger in the AFC. We're the Steelers without the early ring.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

To run with this further, we just played Tom Brady in his prime today. Someone else said that there was Brady, Manning and Rothlesburger in the AFC. We're the Steelers without the early ring.

Burrow is the modern version of Brady and at the end of the day raw ability was never what made TB great. An ability to get the ball out immediately with intelligence and accuracy is what made him great. You can replicate that behavior. You can't replicate what Josh does. 

Edited by KzooMike

1 minute ago, Governor said:

We’re the Manning Colts before they fired everyone. Soft D and all.

But Allen is literally nothing like Manning. Favre couldn't have been on the "Manning" Colts. That whole team was about precision. Favre and Allen are the opposite of precision. 

• Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Favre was the same way and he ended up winning a title, but for how great he was, generating multiple MVP’s, widely considered one of the best of all time…..He just wasn’t consistent enough to be a late season closer. He made deep playoff runs each year, but each year he would typically be the team who lost in the Divisional or Championship round only making one SB.

Rodgers- 1 SB ring

Brees- 1 SB ring

Wilson- 1 SB ring

Favre- 1 SB ring 

Stafford- 1 SB ring

Marino- 0 SB rings

Kelly- 0SB rings

It's very difficult to go to a SB yet win it multiple times. There are some big names who only have 1 or never won any, I'll start with even 1 I'm not greedy!

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Rodgers- 1 SB ring

Brees- 1 SB ring

Wilson- 1 SB ring

Favre- 1 SB ring 

Stafford- 1 SB ring

Marino- 0 SB rings

Kelly- 0SB rings

It's very difficult to go to a SB yet win it multiple time. There are some biog names who only have 1 or never won any. I'll start with even 1 I'm not greedy!

This is how I view it. We will get one. We will take on the mold of the Packers in the 90's or Steelers in the 2000's. Led by a gunslinger, in the mix every year. Eventually we will break through.  

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

better talent around Allen.  I agree with the similarities, but we need to quit turning Allen into Farve.  Perhaps a better RB (Robinson from Texas), better OL (take the top C/G in the 2nd) and better playcalling will fix this.  I have no clue at this point how to fix the DL other than Bean or his scouts going.  The FA acquisitions and draft picks have been putrid other than Miller (who was a no brainer).  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Only problem is I don't see Beane signing Reggie White to come in and carry the defense. Von is not Reggie.

20 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

This is an interesting and well thought out take, likely hated by most people here.

So here's a question for you, but I think I know the answer.  

Would you swap Josh Allen straight up for Joe Burrow this offseason, if you could?

• Like (+1) 1

There's one team that consistently got to the SB and they were also fined multiple times for cheating....

Then there are some others that made it 2 or 3 times. There are a lot that don't make it all....

I want the Bills to be a classic organisation that is always a playoff team and makes the SB once or twice each generation.i want the Bills to be the Packers, Steelers, 49ers....

That'd be awesome.

18 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Am I the only one who totally sees/agrees this comparison but also totally hate it.

Never once did I have faith that Big Ben was going to win a SB.  Thankfully he had a phenomenal run game and a once in a generation defensive coordinator and defensive scouting department.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

This is an interesting and well thought out take, likely hated by most people here.

Would you swap Josh Allen straight up for Joe Burrow this offseason, if you could?

Yes I would. I always wanted a calm pocket passer for my team. I want the easy yards and I want a winner. Joe Burrow is a winner. 

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

No and no Packer fan would have ever traded Favre. Better or worse, when you get a guy like this you just don't care what negatives it comes with. It will be special the whole time no matter the end result. 

19 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I wish I knew the fix. I don’t think one exists. Like Favre, I think we will win a Super Bowl one day. With that, we will never be consistent. We will constantly be in the deep playoffs but we won’t break into being in the SB with consistency.  What allows us to get to that position is also the thing that prevents us from consistently getting deeper. We will remain a lethal team but eventually our style will hinder our ability to get far or deep in the playoffs with consistency.   

I’ve been discussing how similar the current Allen Bills team is like the Kosar led Browns team in the mid-80s to early 90s. Excellent QB and excellent teams that ran into teams led by Elway (3 times), Marino and Moon. Just couldn’t get over those hurdles in the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't even like the comparison because it's not apples and oranges.

If Burrow was under the pressure Josh was the entire game against 4 or even 3-man rushes and 7 or 8 guys is coverage, how do you think he does?

Cincy had 3 starters on their O-line out and we barely ever got a whiff of Burrow.  

One one hand, you've got Josh, who if he wasn't mobile, probably gets killed out there tonight.  Constantly having to create on the fly and not getting to actually execute the plays as they were designed.

on the flip side, you've got Burrow, sitting in the pocket, and methodically moving the ball down the field.  That's not even getting into how Cincy was almost ripping off a first down on every run.

Is Cincy the better team?  Without a doubt, but the comparison of Burrow and Allen is not fair IMO.

Edited by Billz4ever

26 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

That would be an awesome 15 years, quite frankly.  I'd be quite happy to root for that.  We're the Buffalo Bills - why would we scoff at a Favre-like 15 year run that includes a Super Bowl win?   We'd have killed for that during the 20-year drought.

But really, this season was only partially about Josh's shortcomings.  We have a bad OL, bad WR depth, a D that can't rush the passer / defend the pass, a bad OC, a dumb head coach, and a GM that wastes treasure on the D without improving it.

I'm not saying Josh needs all those positions to be great, but he can't have them all failing him at the same time.  The fact that he's a top-3 QB (albeit #3) is how we managed to go 13-3

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Absolutely…as much I love Josh, Burrow is the correct answer…

A similar question would be- who would you rather have, Kelly or Montana?

As much as I loved Kelly, Montana would have been the correct response…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, harryS said:

That would be an awesome 15 years, quite frankly.  I'd be quite happy to root for that.  We're the Buffalo Bills - why would we scoff at a Favre-like 15 year run that includes a Super Bowl win?   We'd have killed for that during the 20-year drought.

But really, this season was only partially about Josh's shortcomings.  We have a bad OL, bad WR depth, a D that can't rush the passer / defend the pass, a bad OC, a dumb head coach, and a GM that wastes treasure on the D without improving it.

I'm not saying Josh needs all those positions to be great, but he can't have them all failing him at the same time.  The fact that he's a top-3 QB (albeit #3) is how we managed to go 13-3

I don't think this should be something people view negatively. It's more, just trying to get people to understand what we are. Christ, I bet we go 13-3 or better every year Josh plays a full season. We will eventually breath through, but we should never be considered " the favorite". We will be capable of beating anybody for likely the next 6-10 years. Eventually it will align.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

To run with this further, we just played Tom Brady in his prime today.

I had made the same comparison. 

Burrow is Brady, or maybe Peyton. You saw him reading defenses expertly today, distributing the ball, moving well in the pocket to avoid the minimal pressure he got. He is absolutely right there with Allen and Mahomes.

Meanwhile, Allen is Aaron Rodgers, or maybe Brett Favre. Nothing wrong with that. His game just isn't as precise, as disciplined as Burrow's. 

Or maybe he's the young Elway, still waiting for the right coach/OC to put in a system where he doesn't have to do it all by himself.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

Joe Burrow is a winner.

No, I wouldn't swap Allen for Burrow.

But I have to admit ... there is something to this^

You say the Bills are like the 90s Packers and then just do a QB comparison.  Those Green Bay teams were stacked with so much more talent than what we have right now.  Most importantly like with most Championship teams they were strong in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  We are really lacking in that department.  Not the greatest comparison IMO

I don't see the Packers comp.........they were dominant and their HC called his own plays.

The Bills comp right now is more like the 2006-2009 San Diego Chargers.

The Chargers dominated the AFC West........were often cited as having the best roster in the NFL and got lot's of love from Vegas just like these Bills........pundits usually said things like "Philip Rivers is going to win a SB in the next few years" which are very familiar to Bills fans with JA17............their defensive minded HC was all about process and loving each other..........and even if they were a favorite they usually made an early, unceremonious exit in the divisional round.

Don't shoot the messenger...........but the reality is that this team isn't memorable like the 90's Packers.........at this point they are just Chargers of that era and the Chiefs and Bengals are the Patriots and Colts of that era.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.