McDermott The Only Defensive Head Coach in Divisional Round

ArtVandalay

Should give us an advantage vs offenses but we shall see. We have the best QB (shouldn't be an argument with a hobbled Mahomes) and a defensive coach. Either this recipe works this year or never. Bengals have a tattered OLine, Mahomes has 1 leg, will not get another opportunity like this, let's get it. Put up or shut up. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Should give us an advantage vs offenses but we shall see. We have the best QB (shouldn't be an argument with a hobbled Mahomes) and a defensive coach. Either this recipe works this year or never. Bengals have a tattered OLine, Mahomes has 1 leg, will not get another opportunity like this, let's get it. Put up or shut up. 

A defensive coach with a all pro QB won Brady 6 rings 

I think there is a lot of track record for the combination 

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

And you want to be my latex salesman. 

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

A defensive coach with a all pro QB won Brady 6 rings 

I think there is a lot of track record for the combination 

Different ingredients. THIS recipe is a little different. 

If our defensive head coach can't figure it out this year with a tattered offensive line across from him this week and a 1 legged Mahomes next week, it will never happen. 

Just now, AlfaBill said:

And you want to be my latex salesman. 

george costanza popcorn GIF

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Why does it matter that the other HCs don’t have defensive backgrounds?  Every team’s DC calls the defense.

Yeah but CC says you can’t win the SB in todays nfl with said D head coach. No particular reason but just can’t happen 😂

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

As much as I respect McDermott as a man, he’s going to start losing me a bit if he can’t slow down Cincy and then hopefully KC. 

Decimated Cincy OL. 

Hobbled Mahomes. 

Figure it out.  

I would agree. The Bills spent a lot of draft capital on the defence. At some point between the draft and his expertise, it will pay off in wins. Hopefully that’s this year. I guess we’ll see how the game(s) play out but ya a defensive meltdown and it won’t be pretty

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

As much as I respect McDermott as a man, he’s going to start losing me a bit if he can’t slow down Cincy and then hopefully KC. 

Decimated Cincy OL. 

Hobbled Mahomes. 

Figure it out.  

If the pass rush that they heavily invested in doesn’t get there against cinci, would you say that’s more on Beane on Mcd though?

I said after rams game. All the pressure is on McD this year. They had Von , offense looked unstoppable , he has to win the Super Bowl. And I’m sorry 13 seconds matters still. That was on him , the D , Leslie , special teams. That was his “situational football” blunder. I wanted him fired , retain Daboll. You have an elite qb , the game is moving toward O w rules ect. I knew it was never gonna happen cuz Terry just happy they aren’t a losing football team. But we’re looking for a championship team.

On one hand , no Daboll , Von , hyde - oh well bills had a good season can be explained if they lose 

on the other hand - Nah. You gotta win McD. And if you lose youR D , coaching decisions better not be the reason 

• Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

If the pass rush that they heavily invested in doesn’t get there against cinci, would you say that’s more on Beane on Mcd though?

Without Von, I’m not sure that they will with 4 (hope to be pleasantly surprised) - especially with how quick Burrow gets rid of it .. but there’s enough talent on this defense that we shouldn’t have KC ‘21 or KC ‘22 on defense again. 

Im sure McD has input in draft picks and there’s an insane amount of high draft capital on this DL, two stud LB’s, a stud slot corner, Tre White and a RD1 CB, along with Poyer at Safety… that’s enough.  Time for the defense to step up against a top end passing offense in the playoffs, especially with injuries that somewhat offset the loss of Von and Hyde. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Without Von, I’m not sure that they will with 4 - especially with how quick Burrow gets rid of it .. but there’s enough talent on this defense that we shouldn’t have KC ‘21 or KC ‘22 on defense again. 

Im sure McD has input in draft picks and there’s an insane amount of high draft capital on this DL, two stud LB’s, a stud slot corner, Tre White and a RD1 CB, along with Poyer at Safety… that’s enough.  Time for the defense to step up against a top end passing offense in the playoffs, especially with injuries on both teams that somewhat offset the loss of Von, and for now, Hyde. 

That’s a fair assessment.

I definitely agree there are no excuses.

I just wonder how much is it Beane vs Mcd if the pass rush can’t get home .

Great…he also had the second best record in the NFL.

22 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Why does it matter that the other HCs don’t have defensive backgrounds?  Every team’s DC calls the defense.

I don’t think it matters.  He essentially lets Dorsey runs the offense.  Just Andy Reid lets Spags run the defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Great…he also had the second best record in the NFL.

I don’t think it matters.  He essentially lets Dorsey runs the offense.  Just Andy Reid lets Spags run the defense.

I think it matters. It skews our draft and FA. We have choir boys that may be good team mates but aren’t getting it done on the field. Basham, AJE, and Greg aren’t impact players. We need impact players. Our team only has Allen, diggs and Von. Milano MaY be a fringe impact / difference maker. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Different ingredients. THIS recipe is a little different. 

If our defensive head coach can't figure it out this year with a tattered offensive line across from him this week and a 1 legged Mahomes next week, it will never happen. 

george costanza popcorn GIF

It took Andy Reid 20 years to win a Super Bowl

They were lots of people who said he would never get it done either… he was always known as the guy who couldn’t get over the hump

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Yep. Until he got Patrick Mahomes…. McD has a guy on his level and arguably better…. Not saying fire the guy if the defense gets torched again, but I think the strategy of loading up everywhere on defense will need to change.

So Donovan McNabb wasn't good enough? Likely story.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep. Until he got Patrick Mahomes…. McD has a guy on his level and arguably better…. Not saying fire the guy if the defense gets torched again, but I think the strategy of loading up everywhere on defense will need to change.

The Chiefs were head and shoulders above the bills as a franchise when the bills got Allen 

The chiefs were well ahead of the Bills as a winning team with good players 

The bills had to play catch-up and we are finally there

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Chiefs were head and shoulders above the bills as a franchise when the bills got Allen 

The chiefs were well ahead of the Bills as a winning team with good players 

The bills had to play catch-up and we are finally there

We’re not anywhere with them until bills win Super Bowl 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They were lots of people who said he would never get it done either… he was always known as the guy who couldn’t get over the hump

And Eagles went on to win one without him sooner than he did. 

McNabb and his QBs were nothing like Josh Allen, not even comparable. 

If he only gets 1 with Mahomes, that's a failure. 

• Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Do you think if he had Allen back then he would’ve won one ? And I think he made mcnabb look way better then he actually was. 

19 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Andy Reid didn't win it in Philly... Tony Dungy didn't win it in Tampa... fans are fickle.

Both those franchises went on to win Super Bowls before the coach did lol

Dungy win 1 with prime Manning (vs Rex Grossman mind you)... he consistently choked in the playoffs. Incredibly overrated head coach.

3 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

And Eagles went on to win one without him sooner than he did. 

McNabb and his QBs were nothing like Josh Allen, not even comparable. 

If he only gets 1 with Mahomes, that's a failure. 

It’s a team game… He had really good teams in Philadelphia

They were good enough to win the Super Bowl and he never did… 

Just like Marv and the bills never one 1 with great teams …. Sometimes it takes as much luck as talent to win the whole thing

The greatest Thrower of a football ever Dan Marino has zero Super Bowls… And played with one of the greatest coaches

It’s tough to win

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah and the notion that he's an offensive genius who has made Mahomes look much better than he is.......well that's quite hilarious.........Reid went an entire season in KC where his team didn't complete a single TD pass to a WR.   And that was with the thoroughly adequate Alex Smith at QB.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, balln said:

I think it matters. It skews our draft and FA. We have choir boys that may be good team mates but aren’t getting it done on the field. Basham, AJE, and Greg aren’t impact players. We need impact players. Our team only has Allen, diggs and Von. Milano MaY be a fringe impact / difference maker. 

Milano is a fringe impact player?? Lay off the alcohol 

A lot of talking heads, like Collin Cowherd, are making this a big deal this post season and during the coaching carousel.

This is probably the genesis for a lot of this type of chatter.

Cowherd makes some interesting arguments, but the whole Belichcik-Brady combo and 2 decades of near dominance kind of throws a wrench in the argument.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

What’s your point? 

Stay the course even if the Bills consistently blow it in the playoffs? 

What do you consider blowing it? McDermott took our team that hasn’t gone to the playoffs in 17 years… gone five out of six…

He is a top notch leader of men who is also a good football coach … he has everything to be a SB coach even if it hasn’t worked out yet 

He’s absolutely one of the top five or seven coaches in the league

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Exactly right. There were 2 huge chokers in that era. Andy Reid and Wade Philips. Most thought neither would ever win a ring.

I still believe Reid has that choke in him and it’s dying to get out. We saw it tonight with that terrible challenge. Put the game in his hands, and he’ll certainly choke it away.

Edited by Governor
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, balln said:

If what you say is true, how does one explain the struggles when Edward is out, Poyer or actually even Morse on offense. The defense has has different players step up at various points. Even before Von, Groot made Mahomes life tough in last seasons games. Elam made several plays last week. We all know what Hyde has done in his time. Don’t seem horrible for a choir boy team. They are relevant again after how long? 

People act like every first/second round players drafted turn into all stars. Biggest myth out there. Can you name all the defensive all star teams that have won the SB the last 4 years or just offensive players who get the credit for the points and not good field position after a turn over or holding the other team to zero after a possession. It’s a team sport. 🤷🏼‍♂️ relax, enjoy the ride and don’t blink.

2 hours ago, balln said:

I said after rams game. All the pressure is on McD this year. They had Von , offense looked unstoppable , he has to win the Super Bowl. And I’m sorry 13 seconds matters still. That was on him , the D , Leslie , special teams. That was his “situational football” blunder. I wanted him fired , retain Daboll. You have an elite qb , the game is moving toward O w rules ect. I knew it was never gonna happen cuz Terry just happy they aren’t a losing football team. But we’re looking for a championship team.

On one hand , no Daboll , Von , hyde - oh well bills had a good season can be explained if they lose 

on the other hand - Nah. You gotta win McD. And if you lose youR D , coaching decisions better not be the reason 

Losing Von was tremendous though.  The Bills lost the one guy who was supposed to put them over the edge.  You have to have an element of luck to win the Super Bowl - especially w/ injuries, and that loss is extremely unlucky 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

As much as I hate to admit it, Mahomes is the better QB. He is more even kilter and protects the ball better. As close as they are in many areas, that gives Mahomes the edge. With that said, I wouldn’t trade Josh for Mahomes…he fits in so well with the city and who cares he isn’t quite as good as a Mahomes overall, he still gives us a GREAT shot at what we’ve all been wanting!

19 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Losing Von was tremendous though.  The Bills lost the one guy who was supposed to put them over the edge.  You have to have an element of luck to win the Super Bowl - especially w/ injuries, and that loss is extremely unlucky 

Ok….but we’re playing a team missing 3 OL starters … and not just 3 OL starters over the course of a year .. they just lost them all literally within the last month.  

Everyone is dealing with injuries, especially on the AFC side. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

What’s your point? 

Stay the course even if the Bills consistently blow it in the playoffs? 

Can't blow it in the playoffs if you don't make the playoffs. Fans always look to the unknown mystery candidate to solve all our problems. 

So long as we consistently make the playoffs and win playoff games, no changes need to be made. Its that simple.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

To be honest, every single qb left is playing much better than Josh right now. He needs to put up a big day or it's over for us. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I hate the heat Reid gets over this.

Reid made McNabb into a PB QB. Not the other way around imo. They lost to GSOT Rams in 01. By like 4 points or something. They lost to the 02 Bucs historic D. They lost to the much better team (Patriots) in Super Bowl. 

Reid made Smith a PB QB after he looked like a bust in SF. Made the PO four times with him BEFORE Mahomes started.

I think Reid was a HOFer before winning a Super Bowl. Yes, there is no question that Mahomes makes it easier. But the guy was a great coach from the start imo.

Let's put it this way: Reid made the postseason with a rejuvenated Vick he turned around. Alex Smith. Henne looked good out there today.

The supposed top coach of all time has done.....nothing without Tom Brady. 

Note: I am a Bills & Football fan too. I lived in Philly. Those people think you did a miserable job if there wasn't a SB win. They look at it as all or nothing. Without any regard for the fact there is another team on that other sideline. 

I want to add that I am not arguing with you. I am going against what the media, Philly people, and others have always said about Reid.

Edited by Billsfanatic8989
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.