Josh Allen Bashers, what's your solution?

ChicagoRic

All I know, is that if Allen takes the Bills to the SB this year, he will be about #19 in Passing Yards (3000) for ALL TIME Career Playoffs Leaders- 900 yards behind Jimbo. #11

If he has a 4 TD game against the Bengals, he will TIE Kelly with 21 TDs as #18. With 10 TDs, he goes to #12 ALL TIME Career Passing Touchdowns Playoffs Leaders!

He & Mahomes will be chasing the GOAT, should they play 10 more injury free years at the same high level.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NUT said:

Allen is likely highly influencing the playcalling. And it seems so many of the concepts with Dorsey have a deep option.

I think the difference isn't so much that he's influencing, just that Dorsey isn't reigning him in like Dabol used too. He knows what Allen is capable of and he thinks back to when he played QB and what plays he would've made with talent like Josh has.

• Agree 1

I'd much rather have an aggressive QB than one who checks down on 4ht down, with the game on the line, giving his team no chance to convert.  I would love for Josh to take the easy throw more often, but not at the expense of losing the two long TDs vs NE, the long bomb to Diggs yesterday, the 25 yd td to Davis yesterday and the 55 yd pass to Shakir (dropped) yesterday.  

3 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I'd much rather have an aggressive QB than one who checks down on 4ht down, with the game on the line, giving his team no chance to convert.  I would love for Josh to take the easy throw more often, but not at the expense of losing the two long TDs vs NE, the long bomb to Diggs yesterday, the 25 yd td to Davis yesterday and the 55 yd pass to Shakir (dropped) yesterday.  

Being able to understand the situation and what's good for the team in that situation is the most important part of playing QB. I don't think those big plays go away if Josh throws for 5 yards on 2nd and 2 to a wide open Beasely. I think they actually become higher percentage plays the more he's able to spread the ball all over the field. That's why he was so efficient last year and the offense just looked unbeatable. He could strike deep but you never knew when it was coming as the opposing defense.

This year it's more predictable. It happens in situations it doesn't exactly need too.

20 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I’ve defended for him and I’ve said some things about him in frustration. But I’m glad he’s our QB and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone. The guy was born to play here

Just for laughs, go to the Bengal's "Jungle" and see how beloved Joe Cool Burrow is. He is a real good, an Ohio boy and may win. Allen is an adopted Buffalo mafia boy who I would not trade, even to win on Sunday.

Pity the Jets, Ravens, Cardinals, Raiders, Dolphins, Rams, Green Bay, Vikings, for their QB situation.

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Being able to understand the situation and what's good for the team in that situation is the most important part of playing QB. I don't think those big plays go away if Josh throws for 5 yards on 2nd and 2 to a wide open Beasely. I think they actually become higher percentage plays the more he's able to spread the ball all over the field. That's why he was so efficient last year and the offense just looked unbeatable. He could strike deep but you never knew when it was coming as the opposing defense.

This year it's more predictable. It happens in situations it doesn't exactly need too.

Of course it’s predictable against Cover-0. And it’s usually wide open as it was yesterday on the passes to Diggs and Davis and last week to Diggs and Brown. Miami was lucky their defensive arrogance didn’t cost them more than it did. I doubt we will see much, if any, Cover-0 against Cincy especially with their banged up CBs. But it would be nice. 

On 1/16/2023 at 12:14 AM, ChicagoRic said:

Welp, I've been reading up on the board, and it looks like Allen had another TERRIBLE GAME, with the Bills winning DESPITE HIM for the 8th game in a row. 

3 Fumbles!  2 INTS!  Completions under 60%!  This guy is a liability. 

BAD JOSH!  I'm tired of HERO BALL.  The ARM ARROGANCE.  352 Yards with long shots to Diggs, Davis and Shakir just don't make up for it. Neither does the perfectly placed TD pass to Knox.  Or the timely run to pick up a key 1st down.  This guy does not deserve a roster spot, let alone a game ball. 

It's time to get Keenum and Barkley ready to go for next week, because they RESPECT BALL SECURITY.

Go Bills!

It’s all fugazi. Lot of degenerate takes. Allen will be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh has a combined 32 INTs and fumbles on the year (including playoffs) most in the NFL. He always says “I’ve gotta do a better job protecting the ball,” but then the game starts and well… 

The offense often feels like it has ADHD and can’t have that surgical focus for an entire 60 mins. How much more dangerous would the Bills be if they seldom turned the ball over? Hopefully those gaffes won’t be our undoing. Beane did say the playoffs are often a microcosm of the season, exposing what ails the team the most.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/16/2023 at 1:14 AM, ChicagoRic said:

Welp, I've been reading up on the board, and it looks like Allen had another TERRIBLE GAME, with the Bills winning DESPITE HIM for the 8th game in a row. 

3 Fumbles!  2 INTS!  Completions under 60%!  This guy is a liability. 

BAD JOSH!  I'm tired of HERO BALL.  The ARM ARROGANCE.  352 Yards with long shots to Diggs, Davis and Shakir just don't make up for it. Neither does the perfectly placed TD pass to Knox.  Or the timely run to pick up a key 1st down.  This guy does not deserve a roster spot, let alone a game ball. 

It's time to get Keenum and Barkley ready to go for next week, because they RESPECT BALL SECURITY.

Go Bills!

Bills have went out and picked up 2 over the hill WRs in December and they are a 13-3 team. How many times you see that happen before? Bills have a problem and Allen ain’t it. 

37 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Josh has a combined 32 INTs and fumbles on the year (including playoffs) most in the NFL. He always says “I’ve gotta do a better job protecting the ball,” but then the game starts and well… 

The offense often feels like it has ADHD and can’t have that surgical focus for an entire 60 mins. How much more dangerous would the Bills be if they seldom turned the ball over? Hopefully those gaffes won’t be our undoing. Beane did say the playoffs are often a microcosm of the season, exposing what ails the team the most.

Then the OC has to stop putting the entire offense on his shoulders. Imo Josh is pressing rather than being careless. Where are the runs, screens, misdirection plays, quick slants and the occasional trick play to take some pressure off him. The OC needs to help him out.

50 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I thought it was 30? And I only care about LOST fumbles.  So if you add up Allen's INT's and LOST fumbles that totals 22.  Ten less then your 32.  I'll give you the benefit of doubt that you're not intentionally being misleading with your stats.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

For me.... Josh Allen is kind of like Farve 2.0. more often than not he is going to win you games but then gives you hair scratchers in between.  

Favre who can run. Brett Favre's passing stats in 1995 (his best statistical year) are eerily similar to Josh's stats this year. The main thing that Allen adds to that (besides not being a bad teammate) is the rushing yards and TDs. But they had a thousand yard rusher.

Also, did you guys know that the BIlls got over 1,400 yards rushing from their primary running backs (Singletary, Cook and Moss) this year? More to that point, if you add Josh's yards in (which you should because yards are yards), the Bills were 9th in the league in rushing yards this year. And that's not adjusting for them playing one fewer game. The Bills had by far the highest number of rushing yards amongst the teams with high-powered passing offenses.  I never would have guessed that based upon how I felt throughout the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Favre who can run. Brett Favre's passing stats in 1995 (his best statistical year) are eerily similar to Josh's stats this year. The main thing that Allen adds to that (besides not being a bad teammate) is the rushing yards and TDs. But they had a thousand yard rusher.

Also, did you guys know that the BIlls got over 1,400 yards rushing from their primary running backs (Singletary, Cook and Moss) this year? More to that point, if you add Josh's yards in (which you should because yards are yards), the Bills were 9th in the league in rushing yards this year. And that's not adjusting for them playing one fewer game. The Bills had by far the highest number of rushing yards amongst the teams with high-powered passing offenses.  I never would have guessed that based upon how I felt throughout the season. 

Run game really picked up late in the season. And it's no coincidence that it was when Dorsey and co. decided to give Cook a real share of the touches. He's been gashing defenses.

3 minutes ago, DC Greg said:

Run game really picked up late in the season. And it's no coincidence that it was when Dorsey and co. decided to give Cook a real share of the touches. He's been gashing defenses.

For sure, but it's just surprising that the Bengals have 704 fewer rushing yards and that's with Mixon and Perine.

29 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I thought it was 30? And I only care about LOST fumbles.  So if you add up Allen's INT's and LOST fumbles that totals 22.  Ten less then your 32.  I'll give you the benefit of doubt that you're not intentionally being misleading with your stats.

What purpose would I have to intentionally mislead? Why would your mind even consider that? It’s not like I’m an opposing team’s fan trashing on Allen. If anything it’d be that I got the numbers wrong - not intentionally - but just being careless, like the Bills are with the football 😅 I kid. Anyway, he had 14 INTs and 13 fumbles in the reg season. That’s 27. He had 3 fumbles and 2 INTs against the Dols. 27+5, there’s your 32. 

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

What purpose would I have to intentionally mislead? Why would your mind even consider that? It’s not like I’m an opposing team’s fan trashing on Allen. If anything it’d be that I got the numbers wrong - not intentionally - but just being careless, like the Bills are with the football 😅 I kid. Anyway, he had 14 INTs and 13 fumbles in the reg season. That’s 27. He had 3 fumbles and 2 INTs against the Dols. 27+5, there’s your 32. 

One thing that would help immensely would be for Josh to learn when the sack is inevitable and turtle up on the ball like Joe Burrow does. Joe was sacked 41 times, but only fumbled 6 times. But he also gives up on evading the rush long before Josh does so perhaps some of those fumbles are the price we pay for the magic.

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

One thing that would help immensely would be for Josh to learn when the sack is inevitable and turtle up on the ball like Joe Burrow does. Joe was sacked 41 times, but only fumbled 6 times. But he also gives up on evading the rush long before Josh does so perhaps some of those fumbles are the price we pay for the magic.

I agree, he believes he can get out of any sack and it costs him. Fumbles happen a lot of times when players fight rather than go down. On the same token, we love it when Josh gets out of a potential sack and throws a laser when the rest of the defense lets up, so it’s a catch-22 of sorts.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Having just watched Brady play last night, he reminded me how much BETTER Josh could be at realizing a play is just totally off and not going to work, and then throw the ball away.  Brady has been GREAT at that his entire career.  How many big mistake plays has he given the other team over his career?  None?

Josh is averaging it once a game this year.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Having just watched Brady play last night, he reminded me how much BETTER Josh could be at realizing a play is just totally off and not going to work, and then throw the ball away.  Brady has been GREAT at that his entire career.  How many big mistake plays has he given the other team over his career?  None?

Josh is averaging it once a game this year.

But in order to do that, you have to give up plays like that TD pass at the end of the first half against New England. That was a spectacular play that was ill-advised in almost every way.

6 hours ago, Coldfronts said:

Live by the Josh, die by the Josh

There’s some real truth to this. A lot of the negatives we see with Allen are a function of the things he does that give us so many positives. To a large degree, ya just have to live with it. 

There are a few things he can do better, yes, of course. No one is perfect. He’s been a bit better tucking the ball when getting sacked or running with it, but obviously there’s still room for improvement there.

In the Phins game, the deep interception was bad. I’m not sure what happened there, but it was bad. Overall, however, his positives very much outweighed his negatives. PFF noted that he had 3 turnover worthy plays, which is a bit on the high side but not egregious. They also gave him credit for 7 big time throws. That’s absurdly high for a single game and outweighs the bad. 

The only criticism of Allen in the Phins game that holds weight for me is his lack of adjustment to the changing coverages. The Phins came hard with cover 0 early and often, then backed off and mixed it up. The backing off was because Allen made them (primarily Howard IIRC) pay, but Allen seemed stuck in kill shot mode for the whole game and didn’t take the easier stuff when it was there later. That seems very correctable with study of the game so I’m not too worried about it at this point. It’s worth watching to see if the Bengals try the same thing this weekend. 

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

The Favre comparison is a bad one. He's way more Elway and for those who remember him Bert Jones, who was unreal before he hurt his shoulder.

Elway is perhaps the best comparison, but Josh throws for a lot more yards and runs for a lot more yards than Elway ever did. But that is probably a function of era and rules. I'm too young to remember Bert Jones. His rookie year is the year that I was born.

17 hours ago, Seventeen said:

If we dinked and dunked all day long, the fan base would be complaining about why the Bills aren't talking advantage of Josh's bazooka. 

Miami was giving up the long ball yesterday ( not b/c they were baiting us, but b/c they couldn't cover us ). Josh threw for 352 and it could've easily been over 400 

with a couple more catches by the wideouts.

not saying never, just less, especially when we need a long drive, long possession for the other offense to get cold, defense to rest and a score to be had.  

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Elway is perhaps the best comparison, but Josh throws for a lot more yards and runs for a lot more yards than Elway ever did. But that is probably a function of era and rules. I'm too young to remember Bert Jones. His rookie year is the year that I was born.

I moved to Colorado in Elways first year and watched his whole career.

Josh Allen is unique.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.