We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

NFL was willing to do it for BUF/KC, because KC still got a bye week and the "easier" path.  

Fwiw, I'm beyond sick of the Bengals shtick.  Really hope the Bills come out Sunday with some demon energy and beat up the Bengals.  They just talk and talk and talk. 

Send them home and shut them up. 

This. Last year the cockiness felt like it was from a humble confidence realm. This year they just sound like *****.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Allen was sacked, what, 7 times yesterday? Bengals beat up O line probably matches ours

Lol, Miami blitzed more people more times than I've ever seen in a game before yesterday. I'm not sure I saw the Ravens send more than 4 more than a couple of times

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

- IMO, the top story all week will be the state of the Bengals offensive line. Right now, it Cincinnati could be down three starters, including both tackles. 

- The Ravens defense is great but even so, the Bengals could not run and their pass protection was poor. 

- On their first possession of the second half Bengals scored a TD (and added a two point conversion) to go up 17-10.

- This was their first possession after LT Jonah Williams got hurt. They drove 83 yards for the score. 

- However, after that possession, the Bengals went:

• 3 plays, 8 yards
  • 6 plays, 13 yards
  • 3 plays, -1 yard

Three possessions is a VERY small sample size but if it were the Bills, most would find it disconcerting. 

I agree with all you said. I just look at what was said about Miami all week " 5 of their Oline was out or banged up. Burrow is greater than Thompson. He's going to hit quick passes over the middle all day and it's going to be a problem. I'm not saying the Bills are going to lose or amy of that but I don't think that any roster issues cinci has is going to be any real advantage to the Bills. 

Just now, arcane said:

Lol, Miami blitzed more people more times than I've ever seen in a game before yesterday. I'm not sure I saw the Ravens send more than 4 more than a couple of times

Exactly this, I highly doubt they will run as much cover zero as Miami did. Even though we missed on some deep shots Cincinnati won't leave themselves that vulnerable for big plays down the field. I'd be highly surprised if they tried what Miami did.

3 minutes ago, arcane said:

This.  Maybe Burrow and the Bengals attack differently and aren't so hyper-aggressive ALL the time, but Burrow would've gotten lit up in that game.

Miami has top 3 DL talent in the league with Phillips, Chubb, Ingram and the interior guys.  On top of that, they just blitzed nonstop.  When they didn't send the house, it was simulated pressure.  

Ravens Defense is obviously way better in the LB/Secondary, but the Dolphins Defense is psychotic at times.. amplified by the fact they knew the defense had to go for broke.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillzFreak said:

Exactly this, I highly doubt they will run as much cover zero as Miami did. Even though we missed on some deep shots Cincinnati won't leave themselves that vulnerable for big plays down the field. I'd be highly surprised if they tried what Miami did.

I would put money on Cinci not running cover 0 even one time. They don't play that way, certainly not against good QBs. They will be 2 high all day long. Allen will be able to scramble and the short/intermediate game will open up. The game will look completely different than yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, arcane said:

I would put money on Cinci not running cover 0 even one time. They don't play that way, certainly not against good QBs. They will be 2 high all day long. Allen will be able to scramble and the short/intermediate game will open up. The game will look completely different than yesterday. 

I'd be surprised if they blitz anywhere near as much as Miami, but I think they will still spy Josh. They know what he's capable of doing on the ground and I can't see them just rolling the dice there. The spy could even be Josh's teammate at Wyoming...Logan Wilson.

Edited by Billz4ever

25 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Allen was sacked, what, 7 times yesterday? Bengals beat up O line probably matches ours

I'd say at least 3 of those were on plays where Allen tried to take off up the middle because the Bills were doing the old Daboll move against the Fins where Allen's legs were the Checkdown option and everyone else ran deep against man coverage which left huge voids in the middle of the field Allen could run through but this time the Fins were ready for it and as soon as he went to take off up the middle they closed the running lane and he got tackled. Most of those were like half yard losses. So yeah, technically it was a sack but not really.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

- IMO, the top story all week will be the state of the Bengals offensive line. Right now, it Cincinnati could be down three starters, including both tackles. 

- The Ravens defense is great but even so, the Bengals could not run and their pass protection was poor. 

- On their first possession of the second half Bengals scored a TD (and added a two point conversion) to go up 17-10.

- This was their first possession after LT Jonah Williams got hurt. They drove 83 yards for the score. 

- However, after that possession, the Bengals went:

• 3 plays, 8 yards
  • 6 plays, 13 yards
  • 3 plays, -1 yard

Three possessions is a VERY small sample size but if it were the Bills, most would find it disconcerting. 

Hopefully, the Bills defense will step up and have similar results as the Baltimore defense did last night

37 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

The Bengals do have a right to be upset that this game isn't at a neutral site.  If the NFL is willing to do it for KC vs BUF then they should have done it for CIN vs BUF.  The league was in a tough spot and almost got it right so it was fair to all.  

Well, no they don’t. They should have won another game earlier and had an equal record to the Bills. That most likely would have been taken into account. They had 1 less win so no neutral site. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Well, no they don’t. They should have won another game earlier and had an equal record to the Bills. That most likely would have been taken into account. They had 1 less win so no neutral site. 

Exactly. Don’t get spanked by the Browns on national TV.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Hopefully, the Bills defense will step up and have similar results as the Baltimore defense did last night

The Bills defense is very different from the Ravens but that doesn’t mean they can’t borrow a few concepts from what worked vs CIN last night. I don’t think it’s about stepping up as much as scheme and personnel. 

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

You’re reading it too simplistically.

Bills don’t match up well enough against the Bengals, i.e. they lack physicality, ball control, pass rush, etc., to overcome Allen not having a near perfect day. 

The Bengals don't match up well with Bills being down 3 oline players....they rely on long methodical drives...one holding call or sack derails what they do best.....I expect Bills to win this game if Frazier sends pressure all game vs that beat up oline

26 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I agree with all you said. I just look at what was said about Miami all week " 5 of their Oline was out or banged up. Burrow is greater than Thompson. He's going to hit quick passes over the middle all day and it's going to be a problem. I'm not saying the Bills are going to lose or amy of that but I don't think that any roster issues cinci has is going to be any real advantage to the Bills. 

Yes, the Miami had OLine problems and the Bills took advantage: 

• 3 plays, 2 yards
  • 2 plays, 2 yard, interception
  • 6 plays, 10 yards
  • 10 plays, 38 yards (FG)
  • 8 plays, 18 yards (FG)
  • 4 plays, 8 yards (FG)
  • 4 plays, 18 yards (TD)
  • 3 plays, 4 yards
  • 3 plays, -9 yards, interception
  • 4 plays, 13 yards
  • 11 plays, 75 yards

That's TWO successful drives out of eleven. The others were gifted by the offense. An almost dominant effort. 

Of course, Burrow and his receiving corps are elite but if I'm a Bengals fan I'd be very concerned about the state of the offensive line. If the Bills can stop the run and get pressure with four, then the Bills will let Burrow take the short, quick routes. 

Edited by Max Fischer

25 minutes ago, arcane said:

Do you think the Bills front 4 can get adequate, substained, and consistent pressure on Burrow? Hoping they can with the Bengals oline being beat up. 

Just now, Billever76 said:

The Bengals don't match up well with Bills being down 3 oline players....they rely on long methodical drives...one holding call or sack derails what they do best.....I expect Bills to win this game if Frazier sends pressure all game vs that beat up oline

Maybe Joe or Marvin, but not Leslie, unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

After cinci lost both starting tackles they managed 4 first downs for the rest of the game including multiple 3 and outs

4 hours ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

This is what I said but I was called a joe burrow simp. Bengals are scoring 35 points, just move and accept that.

Off topic and maybe deserving of another thread but, if people accept this as true- why even build a defense? Just put all your money into offense. Statistics say we have a top, maybe the top defense.  But watching they seem to really suck at times.

invest in the O.  Control the ball.  Score 40 points a week.  That seems to be how the NFL is going these days

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

Yes, the Miami had OLine problems and the Bills took advantage: 

• 3 plays, 2 yards
  • 2 plays, 2 yard, interception
  • 6 plays, 10 yards
  • 10 plays, 38 yards (FG)
  • 8 plays, 18 yards (FG)
  • 4 plays, 8 yards (FG)
  • 4 plays, 18 yards (TD)
  • 3 plays, 4 yards
  • 3 plays, -9 yards
  • 4 plays, 13 yards
  • 11 plays, 75 yards

That's TWO successful drives out of eleven. The others were gifted by the offense. An almost dominant effort. 

Of course, Burrow and his receiving corps are elite but if I'm a Bengals fan I'd be very concerned about the state of the offensive line. If the Bills can stop the run and get pressure with four, then the Bills will let Burrow take the short, quick routes. 

Very true. Buffalo did them a lot of favors yesterday. That's a good breakdown. It's been like 3 weeks in a row (if I'm not mistaken) that buffalo has had multiple turnovers. That needs to end. I'm excited and nervous. Go bills! 

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Who Dey has to be the most moronic saying ever

Go beat the buffalos. 

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

After cinci lost both starting tackles they managed 4 first downs for the rest of the game including multiple 3 and outs

The great equalizer is turnovers. Josh has 19 this year, most of any QB. It can't always be bombs away. Situational football at times calls for keeping a drive alive and eating clock. A few long drives ala the Rams game would be most welcome against Burrow & Co. 

• Agree 1

If we still had Von, I wouldn't be too worried about this game.  Cincy has a tough situation w/ that O-line right now.  As it is, we should still be able to create a lot of pressure. 

I don't think Allen really turned into a pumpkin yesterday - the picks really weren't his fault, and the way the rush was on the fumble, he didn't even have time to tuck the ball back in.  Obviously, we have to clean up the mistakes, but I don't expect a repeat of yesterday or anything close to it. And I think the Bengals will have challenges stopping both our run game and the pass attack.

In a way, I'm glad it worked out this way.  I want to see how we match up w/ that team.  This will likely be the 1st of many times we'll see them in January.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Process said:

It's a completely different situation. Bills and Bengals played the same number of games. Bills were 13-3 and Bengals 12-4. It's cut and dry. It's like the game was never scheduled.

Chiefs and Bills played a different number of games, which is the only reason they have a better winning percentage. The bills didn't have an equal opportunity. The Bengals did. 

It's not hard to comprehend.

What's not hard to comprehend is the fact that the league had to put one team at a disadvantage somewhere.  This weekend is where it will be.  If we were the Bengals we would be crying foul.  Easy to say no we wouldn't be.  

3 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Off topic and maybe deserving of another thread but, if people accept this as true- why even build a defense? Just put all your money into offense. Statistics say we have a top, maybe the top defense.  But watching they seem to really suck at times.

invest in the O.  Control the ball.  Score 40 points a week.  That seems to be how the NFL is going these days

They seem to suck in the moment, like when they're giving up TDs, but then at the end of the day you look at the box score and they've given up 231 yds of total offense, stuffed the run for 42 yds total, collected 2 interceptions , and allowed 25% 3rd down conversion.

We don't remember the 12 3rd downs and 1 4th down they stuffed, we remember the 4 3rd downs and the 1 4th down they allowed to convert.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, peterpan said:

If the Bills only scored 30 points a game, they would have only 2 losses.  The Bills D keeps a lot of teams from scoring points.

Their worse games were 33 against the Vikings and 31 against the Dolphins yesterday.  As was stated many times the O gave a

lot of points to Miami yesterday but they still lost the game.

1 minute ago, Mark92 said:

What's not hard to comprehend is the fact that the league had to put one team at a disadvantage somewhere.  This weekend is where it will be.  If we were the Bengals we would be crying foul.  Easy to say no we wouldn't be.  

There is zero disadvantage to anyone this week. They both played 16 games. Bills had a better record. They are the higher seed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Process said:

There is zero disadvantage to anyone this week. They both played 16 games. Bills had a better record. They are the higher seed. 

Precisely. Any Bills fan crying foul if roles were reversed would be a fool. You are what your record says you are: the league doesn’t deal in what ifs. 

• Agree 1

Tell me if we had won yesterday 20-3 we would be having as much fun going back and forth getting ready for this game against Cincy as we are right now?

I think not.  

God bless it, I'll take that 34-31 victory over the spare parts Dolphins with so many memories, mostly good but some bad for the sake of stories and conjecture.

I love it.

Go Bills!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Tell me if we had won yesterday 20-3 we would be having as much fun going back and forth getting ready for this game against Cincy as we are right now?

I think not.  

God bless it, I'll take that 34-31 victory over the spare parts Dolphins with so many memories, mostly good but some bad for the sake of stories and conjecture.

I love it.

Go Bills!

I'm all in with Josh.

image.png.20b65d07a7e82df152c266f54acf8285.png

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Anyone know the severity of Jonah Williams injury? That kinda loss for them could really help us.

Most commentary right now anticipates him being out. The main Bengals blog has an article about how they should give Whitworth a call to come fill in. So, sounds like a serious loss for them if they are to the point of trying to bring somebody out of retirement for the game.

https://stripehype.com/posts/bengals-give-andrew-whitworth-call-after-losing-jonah-williams

• Like (+1) 1