Florio: Brady to the Dolphins "Definitely on the Table"

Nextmanup

27 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Purdy has been excellent. Why would they change that for a middle of the pack geriatric QB?

Purdy has been playing well and I agree with not wanting disrupting his rhythm, BUT I also feel that all options should be weighed.  

If he craps out against Dallas, I'd definitely consider the old man.

Edited by Chicken Boo

3 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Well let’s be honest. If your team went undefeated and your franchise has been able remain undefeated for 50 plus years with no one else being able to beat that record. I 1000 percent guarantee you’d be popping a bottle of champagne and celebrating 

Arguably with each additional game added to the regular season since the 14 they played, this accomplishment dims slightly—but yes, still worthy of recognition/respect. 

3 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Dude.  He threw 733 passes this season.  That's where all those yards came from.  He was 18th in quarterback rating, 18th in QBR, and 30th in yards per attempt.  He is a very mediocre quarterback at this stage of his career and he's got nowhere to go but down given his advanced age.

This exactly.

Tom Brady has somehow managed to dodge Father Time for so long, many people are starting to believe he's NEVER going to hit the age wall.  Which of course is an illogical assumption to make.  He cannot play forever.

The media wants to blame it all on his supporting cast, like he was surrounded by the Houston Texans or Chicago Bears.  Lots of quarterbacks would love to have the combination of Mike Evans and Chris Godwin.  More than likely, the biggest problem for the Bucs is their QB taking a significant step backwards in his skill level.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Purdy has been playing well and I agree with not wanting disrupting his rhythm, BUT I also feel that all options should be weighed.  

If he craps out against Dallas, I'd definitely consider the old man.

Respectfully, that’s insane. Purdy will be their week one starter without a doubt 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, peterpan said:

Miami is a top team.  Great roster and well coached.  Just missing a QB.  

Brady is too old.  I’d be gunning for rodgers or even as option 2, mayfield 

I have no idea if this is sarcasm or not…the dolphins are well coached?? Really?? I kept hearing how great a coach Flores was and this year how great McDaniel is-but are they really? Once teams figured out how to play against his offense, McDaniel didn’t seem so great. Flores took a bad dolphins team and made them….slightly below average 

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I have no idea if this is sarcasm or not…the dolphins are well coached?? Really?? I kept hearing how great a coach Flores was and this year how great McDaniel is-but are they really? Once teams figured out how to play against his offense, McDaniel didn’t seem so great. Flores took a bad dolphins team and made them….slightly below average 

Did you not just watch the game Sunday? Or the other two we played against them? They have our number. We won bc we have Allen and they have bums at QB.  A Non-homer would see we were out coached and out played in all three games.  Ironically we played our best in the heat stroke game.

On 1/12/2023 at 6:56 PM, Doc said:

Yup.  But they invested a lot in him.  It will be interesting to see how they handle the QB situation.

It will also be interesting to see what the Packers do after Rodgers is gone and they're left with that dud Love.

Love 🥰is all you need especially when it is cold.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Did you not just watch the game Sunday? Or the other two we played against them? They have our number. We won bc we have Allen and they have bums at QB.  A Non-homer would see we were out coached and out played in all three games.  Ironically we played our best in the heat stroke game.

They have our number? 😆 🤣 😂 

That's why Miami is 1-9 against Bills since 2018. 

Maybe my sarcasm detection system is getting wonky... ??

Out coached, Nerdy McDaniel was out timeouts halfway thru the 4th... 😆 

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They have our number? 😆 🤣 😂 

That's why Miami is 1-9 against Bills since 2018. 

Maybe my sarcasm detection system is getting wonky... ??

Out coached, Nerdy McDaniel was out timeouts halfway thru the 4th... 😆 

They had their third string 7th round rookie starting at QB and we were one pay away from losing.  They likely would have beat us with Tua or Bridgewater,as we played horribly.  

If the Dolphins can land Rodgers they’ll be SB Contenders.  With Mayfield or Care they could easily win the division next year. 

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, peterpan said:

They had their third string 7th round rookie starting at QB and we were one pay away from losing.  They likely would have beat us with Tua or Bridgewater,as we played horribly.  

If the Dolphins can land Rodgers they’ll be SB Contenders.  With Mayfield or Care they could easily win the division next year. 

They were up by 17. Flukey 82 yards of offense nets them a tie, yet Bills go up 20-17 at Half... In under 30 seconds. Then down 4 after half... BUT Bills went up 10 to start 4th.

Aside from all the BFLo abuse through the years we suffered, Bills weren't losing this game. A few millimeters and a couple reversed calls and Bills are hanging +50 on those clowns... And still those felons had a fumble-6!...

One good thing, keeps us humbled... 

The story is Bills stunk and still magically hung 34 on them... They weren't losing. Miami wasn't winning. 

Was I nervous? Maybe... But then coach McNerd pooped the bed burning his timeouts and I knew it was over.

Our McD outcoached their McD by a mile even if right before half was a disaster.  Aberration. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Well let’s be honest. If your team went undefeated and your franchise has been able remain undefeated for 50 plus years with no one else being able to beat that record. I 1000 percent guarantee you’d be popping a bottle of champagne and celebrating 

They'd only played 14 games a season in 1972! Bills lost to them by 1 point in 1971-1972! LoL...

If Bills win SB... They'd have played 4 more games than the "perfect Dolphins and won 1 more game. The Dolphins lost in game #2 of the next season.

That perfect season will never be duplicated because teams back then had it easier.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

25 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They'd only played 14 games a season in 1972! Bills lost to them by 1 point in 1971-1972! LoL...

If Bills win SB... They'd have played 4 more games than the "perfect Dolphins and won 1 more game. The Dolphins lost in game #2 of the next season.

That perfect season will never be duplicated because teams back then had it easier.

Well, if there are any old videos out there you can see that the Bills played them tough & kicked the go ahead field goal late in the game. Penalty flags came out & they made the Bills kick 2 more times I think. There used to be a clip of Reggie McKenzie looking at the ref's in disgust. Good old NFL at it's finest.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

Well, if there are any old videos out there you can see that the Bills played them tough & kicked the go ahead field goal late in the game. Penalty flags came out & they made the Bills kick 2 more times I think. There used to be a clip of Reggie McKenzie looking at the ref's in disgust. Good old NFL at it's finest.

I was born in 1968... But my old man always had the conspiracy theory that Shula was on the competition committee with the Refs... I always wondered why he thought that way. He must have watched that game at the Orange Bowl!

It would be great to find video of it!

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

Shirley

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

@peterpan == @Beast

Why did I not see it before in pattern of nonsense.

Oh, I get it. Because I said “I hope Brady ends up in Miami”, you think that I want him to go there to succeed.

Fortunately, most  people on these boards aren’t completely moronic and clearly saw that I want Brady to go to Miami because I’d like to see the Bills pound him at least a couple times before he walks away.

However, carry on with your idiotic ramblings.

Edited by Beast

On 1/12/2023 at 11:01 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He's done at this point. Having those speed guys is not even playing to his strengths.  He was best with Gronk and Welker dissecting defenses not going over the top(outside of one year with Moss). 

I think a younger Brady would be very good in that offense. Brady on the slant game was very dangerous and having 2 speedsters to run those could be quite scary. But as others have said, Brady at this point is about as threatening as a journeyman Qb at this point. 

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

The Bills weren’t outcoached-they had turnovers and a couple of major mistakes, that’s what kept Miami in the game. If Shakir doesn’t drop that bomb right in his hands or if Knox catches that touchdown, this game is not close at all. The Bills outgained them by 200 yards! McDaniel wasn’t able to do anything, only had one significant drive in terms of yards…you’re gonna have to explain to me how they were outcoached. Would you say Denver had KC’s number because they played close games? No absolutely not 

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Oh, I get it. Because I said “I hope Brady ends up in Miami”, you think that I want him to go there to succeed.

Fortunately, most  people on these boards aren’t completely moronic and clearly saw that I want Brady to go to Miami because I’d like to see the Bills pound him at least a couple times before he walks away.

However, carry on with your idiotic ramblings.

He probably meant @FilthyBeast

20 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

fixed it for you.

people often stick with an error far too long for the wrong reason.

Anyway, I think the chance that Lance steps into the 49ers game this weekend and performs at the level his replacement has (since his first start) is zero point zero.  

so first round qbs can be determined to be bad enough to walk away from after 6quarters? glad youre not Beane, we'd still be looking for a qb

37 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

so first round qbs can be determined to be bad enough to walk away from after 6quarters? glad youre not Beane, we'd still be looking for a qb

Rookie Allen replaced a terrible Peterman at halftime in week 1.  There would have been no one to replace Josh after 6 quarters. 

Lance had the luxury of riding the pines for a year in Sn Fran---and in his second year when he got the call (when Jimmy G went down), he looked worse than in his 2 games as a rookie.  However, the 49ers had another option---and the last drafted rookie who was immediately far better than Lance.  So your comparison is inappropriate. 

You think the 49ers should just give Lance the starting job next season because he cost them so much?  I'm glad you're not the Bills GM...

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Rookie Allen replaced a terrible Peterman at halftime in week 1.  There would have been no one to replace Josh after 6 quarters. 

Lance had the luxury of riding the pines for a year in Sn Fran---and in his second year when he got the call (when Jimmy G went down), he looked worse than in his 2 games as a rookie.  However, the 49ers had another option---and the last drafted rookie who was immediately far better than Lance.  So your comparison is inappropriate. 

You think the 49ers should just give Lance the starting job next season because he cost them so much?  I'm glad you're not the Bills GM...

He was a rookie in 2021.  

In 2022, he didn’t get the call “when Jimmy G went down”, he was the starter.  He had one game in a typhoon, then went 2/3 for 30 yards and broke his leg.  

14 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

I think a younger Brady would be very good in that offense. Brady on the slant game was very dangerous and having 2 speedsters to run those could be quite scary. But as others have said, Brady at this point is about as threatening as a journeyman Qb at this point. 

It wouldn't make sense to bring Brady to the Phins, except for ...

... Ross obviously wanted him when they tampered with Brady, and I doubt the last 3 years have done much to change the old man's mind. He's 82, and seems obsessed with winning a Super Bowl before he goes bye-bye

... Miami does have a Super Bowl quality roster right now, but for the QB position. Which is a huge "but for." Even if they were sold on Tua as The Guy, they can't be anymore given his injury history. That SB quality roster has an expiration date, particularly since speed doesn't age well. So: Carr? Not too appealing. Some huge restructuring/mortgaging the future to bring in Lamar? Same. Garoppolo? Sure, but is a 32 year old Jimmy coming off multiple injuries really better than a 46 year old healthy Tommy?

... Brady does have the (eroding) skillset that fits the Phins. Ultimate quick read/quick release guy. That's what was working with Tua. And there's that "we're getting the band back together for one final tour" thing with Gronk. 2 year contract, win or start from scratch when Ross is 85? I can see it. If I'm Ross, where's my better option right now?

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

He was a rookie in 2021.  

In 2022, he didn’t get the call “when Jimmy G went down”, he was the starter.  He had one game in a typhoon, then went 2/3 for 30 yards and broke his leg.  

yes a rookie in 2021--I mentioned that.

You're right about him already being named the starter week 1 once (this season).  Lance's problem is that every other QB on the 49ers roster is better than him. Jimmy G went 7-3 and Purdy is undefeated and fresh off a blowout playoff win (in some rain).  

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You're right about him already being named the starter week 1 once (this season).  Lance's problem is that every other QB on the 49ers roster is better than him. Jimmy G went 7-3 and Purdy is undefeated and fresh off a blowout playoff win (in some rain).  

Lance never made sense with where the Niners are in the competitive cycle. He was a project on a win-now roster. Even if he hadn't been injured I always assumed that they'd revert back to Jimmy G. at some point this season. The win-now thing became even more apparent with the McCaffrey trade. I think Lance isn't really an option for them anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

To make a definitive statement that Lance is the third best QB on that roster is absurd.  It’s akin to calling Mike White the best QB of the 2018 draft class…..as he himself did…..after his first game in 2021.  There is a concept called sample size that you may want to research.  Of the 3, only Jimmy has enough sample size to make any judgements at all.

Brady is going to retire. 

Media just keep saying he will play because they can't imagine him actually retiring.

As far as "he doesn't want to go out like that" goes... Unless he wins the Super Bowl he's going out with a loss. Tampa is old, slow and over the cap with a terrible HC. At age 46 is he really going to start over somewhere else?

Most likely: he will retire

2nd most likely: he goes to LV

3rd most likely: he goes to TEN

• Disagree 1

16 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

I think this is likely a very popular opinion right now, but it's not right.

He's not good enough to do it all by himself anymore, but he's much better STILL than a journeyman.

He would/will be great in Miami with their receivers.  

I actually think this is where he'll end up for this and a bunch of other reasons.

The downside is we don't need him in our division again!

The upside is the Bills/Miami rivalry would be as big as EVER if he goes there.

And I am getting aroused just thinking about cheering for Bills players to physically hurt Brady again!  

So there's that!

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Media just keep saying he will play because they can't imagine him actually retiring.

As far as "he doesn't want to go out like that" goes... Unless he wins the Super Bowl he's going out with a loss. Tampa is old, slow and over the cap with a terrible HC. At age 46 is he really going to start over somewhere else?

Nah, the guy is the fiercest competitor in the history of the league! 

He is one of the type who will have to be TOLD to leave, when he gets cut and no one signs him.

He'll NEVER walk away if he still thinks playing is an option, especially with the divorce.

That's my 2 cents.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

I have to disagree. We can't underestimate the ego, now perhaps merging into self-delusion. He absolutely wants to show he's not the reason for his team's collapse.

Raiders: I don't see it. That means getting past Mahomes and Herbert. He chose Tampa because it gave him a clear route to the post-season. I suspect the same reasoning will prevail now.

Titans: Nashville? I don't see it. The lights of Music Row aren't bright enough.

So ... Miami. Old man owner loves him. They have the horses and need a QB. Josh and the Bills are the only deterrent to that. Mid-season I would've said "back home to SF" but the way Purdy has played (and the way Tommy has played) makes me think that won't ever happen.

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He's not good enough to do it all by himself anymore, but he's much better STILL than a journeyman.

He would/will be great in Miami with their receivers.  

Absolutely not "a journeyman." That's Teddy Bridgewater. He's a clear huge upgrade over that.

Would he be "great" in Miami? I'm not sure, but revenge fantasies aside, I'd rather not see him playing there.

13 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

To make a definitive statement that Lance is the third best QB on that roster is absurd.  It’s akin to calling Mike White the best QB of the 2018 draft class…..as he himself did…..after his first game in 2021.  There is a concept called sample size that you may want to research.  Of the 3, only Jimmy has enough sample size to make any judgements at all.

And Mike White is the best QB on the Jets roster right now.  

The 49ers QB job is Purdy's at this point.  Put his performance against Lance's, such as they are right now,  and tell me why Lance should start.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

And Mike White is the best QB on the Jets roster right now.  

The 49ers QB job is Purdy's at this point.  Put his performance against Lance's, such as they are right now,  and tell me why Lance should start.

Why did Lance start week 1 2022?  If Purdy had outperformed both Lance and Jimmy in camp, would he have started?  Maybe not because….rookie, but if Lance outperforms Purdy in 2023 camp are you saying  Purdy will get deferential treatment?  Shirley.

Purdy is their QB “at this point” because the other options are hurt.  Jimmy is likely gone via FA.  Personally I think a camp battle is the most likely scenario with the 9ers next year but it is possible one enters as preferred.  

Their roster is strong and helps any QB but they haven’t exactly played a tough schedule since Purdy got thrust into action.  Fish, Bucs, Seahawks x2, Wash, LV, Ariz.  Dallas’ D can test Purdy as can Philly’s.  If he holds up there the story could change but right now he has zero hold in the 2023 job.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.