First-ever NFLPA "Players All Pro Team"

Sierra Foothills

From ProFootballTalk:

The NFL Players Association announced the first Players’ All-Pro Team on Wednesday.

Only active players were eligible to vote and players could not vote for themselves or for their teammates. They also only voted for the position group they play in as well as the players that they lined up against on the other side of the ball. All players were eligible for votes as long as they did not miss five or more games as of Week 15 of the season and two special teamers were nominated by leaders from each team.

The union also announced that they will release the top five finishers at each position in the future. The entire team appears below:

Quarterback: Patrick Mahomes (Kansas City)
Running back: Josh Jacobs (Las Vegas)
Fullback: Kyle Juszczyk (San Francisco)
Wide Receiver: Justin Jefferson (Minnesota), Davante Adams (Las Vegas)
Tight End: Travis Kelce (Kansas City)
Left Tackle: Trent Williams (San Francisco)
Left Guard: Joel Bitonio (Cleveland)
Center: Jason Kelce (Philadelphia)
Right Guard: Zack Martin (Dallas)
Right Tackle: Lane Johnson (Philadelphia)

Edge Rusher: Nick Bosa (San Francisco), Myles Garrett (Cleveland)
Interior Defensive Lineman: Chris Jones (Kansas City), Aaron Donald (LA Rams)

Nose Tackle: Dexter Lawrence (New York Giants)
Off-Ball Linebacker: Fred Warner (San Francisco), Roquan Smith (Baltimore)
Cornerback: Pat Surtain II (Denver), Darius Slay (Philadelphia)
Free Safety: Minkah Fitzpatrick (Pittsburgh)
Strong Safety: Derwin James Jr. (LA Chargers)

Kick Returner: Cordarrelle Patterson (Atlanta)
Punt Returner: KaVontae Turpin (Dallas)
Core Teamer: Jeremy Reaves (Washington), Justin Hardee (NY Jets)
Kicker: Jason Myers (Seattle)
Punter: Tommy Townsend (Kansas City)
Long snapper: Morgan Cox (Tennessee)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/11/nflpa-announces-first-ever-players-all-pro-team/

Of course no Bills are on it, although I can't really argue with any of the ones who are.

I would have probably swapped out Donald with Quinnen Williams tho...Donald has been injured a lot of the year.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Of course no Bills are on it, although I can't really argue with any of the ones who are.

I would have probably swapped out Donald with Quinnen Williams tho...Donald has been injured a lot of the year.

Yea that's fair. But it is players voting on who they played against... and I bet most of them prepare themselves mentally for Aaron Donald over and above any opponent. Even though, as you say, not a good year by his standard. 

Edited by GunnerBill

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that's fair. But it is players voting on who they played against... and I bet most of them prepare themselves mentally for Aaron Donald over and above any opponent. Even though, as you say, not a good year by his standard. 

Yes, I think they view him as the best of the best in the technical sense, and basically unblockable. He only played in 11 games for a very bad team, but was still Aaron Donald when he played.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Davante Adams really sticks out as not deserving to be on that list. Hill had an amazing year playing with some pretty crappy QB's. Diggs had a great year too but Hill deserved it

Adams was absolutely spectacular this season, I thought. Uncoverable. Also led the league in TD receptions.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Adams was absolutely spectacular this season, I thought. Uncoverable. Also led the league in TD receptions.

The TD stat is pretty good I suppose. I was looking at Hill's stats and 1700 receiving yards (200 more than Adams) with 1/4 of those games with Teddy Bridgewater and Skylar Thompson and the rest with noodle arm Tua is pretty impressive 

Edited by KDIGGZ

44 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That is a good and logical all-pro team. I can’t argue with any of it.

I’d have found a way to put Jeffrey Simmons or Q Williams in there. And Josh Allen, too, but that Mahomes guy is pretty good.

And are we sure Roquan Smith was better than Matt Milano this year?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

How in the world did we go 13 and three?

By having more depth than a lot of teams that had players on that list.  By having players that COULD have made the list but missed out by a very small amount likely (Allen, Diggs).  By the players who made that list being rated 10 on a scale of 1-10 and the Bills simply having no '10s' but a lot of 7s, 8,s and 9s.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They did a pretty darn good job!

When does the official AP all pro list get released? And will anyone get to be a second team all-pro with 1 vote this year (looking at you Cole Beasley)?

Nah they did the exact same thing they always complain about.  Putting AD on the list is stupid and based solely on reputation.

Good to know they are no better than the AP

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Donald only makes it because of the "as of Week 15" rule

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

AD I'll give you... who else do you not think belongs?

All it takes is one.

"For too long, we as NFL players have allowed everyone else to define the best of us. That ends now," NFLPA president J.C. Tretter wrote in an email to players, per the NFL Network.

This was a way for the NFL players to try to have their own list to compete with the AP due to "bias."  And then they put AD on their and killed their own point in its crib.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

All it takes is one.

"For too long, we as NFL players have allowed everyone else to define the best of us. That ends now," NFLPA president J.C. Tretter wrote in an email to players, per the NFL Network.

This was a way for the NFL players to try to have their own list to compete with the AP due to "bias."  And then they put AD on their and killed their own point in its crib.

He's the best in the league and made it within the rules. It seems honest to me.

It'd be cool to see players vote for the toughest coaches/coordinators they face and for coaches to vote for players too.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He's the best in the league and made it within the rules. It seems honest to me.

It'd be cool to see players vote for the toughest coaches/coordinators they face and for coaches to vote for players too.

Nope - the players included someone @FireChans disagrees with, so their entire exercise is a farce.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Nope - the players included someone @FireChans disagrees with, so their entire exercise is a farce.

74th in the NFL in sacks. 85th in QB hits. 38th in TFL's.

Sounds like the best DT in football this year to me lmao.

44 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

By having more depth than a lot of teams that had players on that list.  By having players that COULD have made the list but missed out by a very small amount likely (Allen, Diggs).  By the players who made that list being rated 10 on a scale of 1-10 and the Bills simply having no '10s' but a lot of 7s, 8,s and 9s.

I’d expect a few Bills to appear if/when they release the top five for each position. Not sure if they’re doing that this year or from next year onwards.

I don’t disagree with any particular player on the list. It’s a hard to take that there isn’t a bill on it. I think it says more about how we play as a team to have the second best player in a bunch of those positions or third best player.

So while we don’t have anybody on the list, we have one of the better overall teams

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t disagree with any particular player on the list. It’s a hard to take that there isn’t a bill on it. I think it says more about how we play as a team to have the second best player in a bunch of those positions or third best player.

So while we don’t have anybody on the list, we have one of the better overall teams

Think about it like this:  If a team had the 2nd best player at each position (I am not saying the Bills, or any other team, have this), they would have zero players on this list, but they would have the best team in a runaway.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Williams is gonna get paid this off-season.  The question is does he continue being a force once he does?

38 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Virtually every offensive player (including qbs like Josh Allen and o-linemen) I've ever read about who have been asked to say who the best defensive player is reply with Donald. Sometimes, the stats don't reveal what the players know from engaging with a player on the ground. Production-wise, he didn't deserve it (missed six games; the team is terrible), but in terms of ability, he remains second to none. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Virtually every offensive player (including qbs like Josh Allen and o-linemen) I've ever read about who have been asked to say who the best defensive player is reply with Donald. Sometimes, the stats don't reveal what the players know from engaging with a player on the ground. Production-wise, he didn't deserve it (missed six games; the team is terrible), but in terms of ability, he remains second to none. 

Correct, which is why it's silly that he's on this list.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Correct, which is why it's silly that he's on this list.

Well, don't highlight "the team is terrible" part because it absolutely affected his stats in a negative way. He's not the problem there.

Josh Allen on Aaron Donald: "He's one of one, I think everybody knows that. It's scary to watch the film of him, but it's just understanding that you've got to go in with a plan."

Edited by dave mcbride

3 things jump out at me.

1.  Where in the hell is Micah Parsons?  He has been elite all damn year and people were even arguing whether or not he should be the league MVP.

2.  I can't put Davante Adams ahead of Tyreek Hill.  Davante Adams had game of 15, 3, 36, and 12 yards.  You can't put him ahead of Tyreek, simply cannot.

3.  Small gripe, but Ryan Stonehouse of the Titans broke an 80+ year old NFL record for average punt at 53.1.  I know Townsend had a slightly better net, but that's because the special teams had 3 less yards on average to run down the field IMHO.

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, don't highlight "the team is terrible" part because it absolutely affected his stats in a negative way. He's not the problem there.

Josh Allen on Aaron Donald: "He's one of one, I think everybody knows that. It's scary to watch the film of him, but it's just understanding that you've got to go in with a plan."

He has a great reputation. He didn't have a great year.

Brady is an All-Time QB. He didn't deserve to make the list either.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

How in the name of God did they get some of that bunch to follow the instructions?  Read into that comment whatever you like. 🤨

It does look good and well done.  You could argue others could be there, but, can't argue those players shouldn't be on the All-Pro Team.

I like this.  

Should there be a 2nd Player voted All-Pro team.  Not sure.  I think I like it this way.  I would be fine with either.  Seeing the top 5 at each position later works for me with one team.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I respect the players input and opinion rather than stats of a player who has played hurt all year.  To earn your teams respect and your competitions respect are two very impressive things.  Aaron Donald has earned that from his peers and vote says so.

59 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Pretty much all no brainer. I’d say jacobs maybe shouldn’t be the RB. I understand he led the league in rushing but Chubb is better

For Jacobs really impressive kudo's to enter Free Agency.

35 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed, well said!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.