Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

15 minutes ago, papazoid said:

bills are already $20 mil OVER the cap for 2024

with 31 current players becoming free agents and NOT in that cap total.....like Ed Oliver, Gabe Davis, DaQuan Jones, micah hyde, settle, phillips

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/31-buffalo-bills-free-agents-2024-micah-hyde-gabe-davis-ed-oliver/

lots of needs and running out of accounting tricks

good thing 2024 is a full season away.

15 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And some Bills fans think Davis is completely worthless and should be cut or traded after his promotion to #2 didn't go swimmingly in a season where he was dealing with injuries and was in his first year starting. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Davis was a very solid #3 WR. Solid enough that it earned him a promotion. It wasn't all the KC playoff game. He made many difficult toe tap catches before that game.

Yes, last season didn't go as well as we had hoped at #2. But that doesn't mean he should be ran out of town. He should return to his role as #3 at least for this season, finding holes in the Defense with coverages rolling to Diggs and Hopkins.

He's under an inexpensive mid round Rookie contract. If we had Diggs and Hopkins, it makes no sense to get rid of Davis and spend a 2nd Round Pick on another WR for that same #3 role on top of it.

Especially with the amount of holes we have to fill at other positions, the need to fill those holes in the Draft after what it would cost financially for Hopkins, and the Draft compensation we'd already spending on WR to acquire Hopkins.

Here’s the problem- when isn’t he dealing with injuries?  He’s had an injured ankle for 3 straight years.  

I agree- if we get hopkins- we don’t need another WR in this draft.  Next year, definitely.  Keep Davis this year, he’s getting paid nothing.  Lose him and hopefully get a comp pick for him next year….Or keep him if he’s more affordable that anticipated.  No need to trade him.  He can help us win a SB this year.  

but that ankle….. it’s a problem.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

21 hours ago, JohnNord said:

From every beat reporter that I trust, the Bills LOVE Ed Oliver and would like to keep him.  The situation could turn out to be a bit like Tremaine Edmunds.

Joe Buscaglia even said he wouldn’t be surprised to see Ed re-signed in the off-season, though it’s the players best interest to play through the season.  

Either way it seems like the Bills like Oliver a lot more than the fanbase does.  

So much of social media is over-analyzed and misinterpreted.  Remember when Diggs was unhappy and demanded  a trade to Dallas to play with his brother?  

Ya Big Ed I believe is loved by the staff, and I thought he had a good year, maybe not statistically but when he was surrounded by Daquan and Von and not getting doubled, he's a really good player. 

Something the stats don't show is his ability to get pressure which allows another DL to Clean up the QB

If he'll stay at a fair price, slightly below the market , he'll be a Bill going forward 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

bills are already $20 mil OVER the cap for 2024

with 31 current players becoming free agents and NOT in that cap total.....like Ed Oliver, Gabe Davis, DaQuan Jones, micah hyde, settle, phillips

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/31-buffalo-bills-free-agents-2024-micah-hyde-gabe-davis-ed-oliver/

lots of needs and running out of accounting tricks

The Saints are $50 million over every offseason and POOF MAGIC!!! Suddenly they have 40 million in cap space and sign players

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Here’s the problem- when isn’t he dealing with injuries?  He’s had an injured ankle for 3 straight years.  

I agree- if we get hopkins- we don’t need another WR in this draft.  Next year, definitely.  Keep Davis this year, he’s getting paid nothing.  Lose him and hopefully get a comp pick for him next year….Or keep him if he’s more affordable that anticipated.  No need to trade him.  He can help us win a SB this year.  

but that ankle….. it’s a problem.

Sort of available is often just as bad as not available.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Sort of available is often just as bad as not available.

3 years in a row—  Injured the same ankle.  Yet some don’t think it’s a problem 🤣 

wake up folks

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dje85 said:

The cap is projected to go 30 Million higher based on new tv revenue next year.

Joe Buscalia covered this in his latest articles "The draft files Part I". 

"The NFL contract experts at OverTheCap.com project the 2024 cap to go up by over $30 million from the $224.8 million figure this year. And with that in mind, before the Tyler Bass extension, the Bills were already $1 million under next year’s projected cap without any contract restructuring or rollover cap space from 2023. And they have options. They can restructure Josh Allen’s contract again, which would clear over $20 million. And they have a lot of options of cutting players with substantial cap savings for 2024, and not all of them are the core assets.

So why is this important? For contract extensions, it’s everything, and the Bills have the means to get at least one meaningful contract, if not more, done for the 2024 season."

- Joe Buscalia 

Yeah. The Bills will continue to push a lot of Allen’s cap into the future for awhile. They have plenty of room. But they need to start look for Diggs replacement. Probably have 2 years left with him. Von Miller also has 2 more years here.  Dion Dawkins might have 2 more years. Morse probably 1 more year. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, papazoid said:

bills have way more needs than they have Day 1 & 2 picks just for 2023.....if you start worrying about 2024 ...its every position except QB

2023- OG, OT, WR2, RB1, ILB, TE2

2024- DT, FS, SS, OC, EDGE

i'm all about upgrading the OL as top priority....but i would make an exception for Dhop....he is an absolute stud/elite/sure thing

These positions hardly matter. Just give Josh Allen a bunch of stud skill position players to run n gun with and watch the postseason Ws pile up. IMO

Edited by 2020 Our Year For Sure
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You're missing the point. 

We'd have to use another Pick to fill his role. You can't just have Diggs, Hopkins, and Sherfield on the Outside. We'd need to get another solid #3. And we'd already be spending a pick or picks at WR on Hopkins.

That's too much to put into WR with all the holes we need to fill, the draft compensation we'd already be giving up at WR for Hopkins, and with the money we'd be spending on Hopkins requiring us to fill those holes in the Draft. 

Trading away Davis just to have to spend more this season to replace him on top of what we're spending on Hopkins is pointless and counter productive when he's fine as the #3. He wouldn't be a part of a Hopkins trade. 

And if Davis is as replaceable as you say he is, why would Arizona want him and make it a sticking point?  A 2nd may have more upside. Or he may take time. And why spend a 2nd on someone when we already have Diggs and Hopkins in the starting lineup?

Especially when, contrary to posters on this thread would like to believe, we have a lot more to do to this roster than just create a Fantasy Football team at WR.

Yes that is the point. I would rather start immediately redeveloping my young wr room than wait around for Davis to live up to his KC game potential.  Try to trade for Dhop and at the same time draft a wr at 27 or 59.  I'm not losing sleep if Gabe walks next year.

20 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You're missing the point. 

We'd have to use another Pick to fill his role. You can't just have Diggs, Hopkins, and Sherfield on the Outside. We'd need to get another solid #3. And we'd already be spending a pick or picks at WR on Hopkins.

That's too much to put into WR with all the holes we need to fill, the draft compensation we'd already be giving up at WR for Hopkins, and with the money we'd be spending on Hopkins requiring us to fill those holes in the Draft. 

Trading away Davis just to have to spend more this season to replace him on top of what we're spending on Hopkins is pointless and counter productive when he's fine as the #3. He wouldn't be a part of a Hopkins trade. 

And if Davis is as replaceable as you say he is, why would Arizona want him and make it a sticking point?  A 2nd may have more upside. Or he may take time. And why spend a 2nd on someone when we already have Diggs and Hopkins in the starting lineup?

Especially when, contrary to posters on this thread would like to believe, we have a lot more to do to this roster than just create a Fantasy Football team at WR.

DIGGS, DHop, and Sheffield outside is a massive upgrade to what we had outside last year.  We definitely could include Gabe if they wanted in a trade that landed DHop.  And we would still be able to draft another WR if we wanted to say in the mid rounds.  Like nab someone with high upside like Boutte from LSU in round 4 as just one example.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

DIGGS, DHop, and Sheffield outside is a massive upgrade to what we had outside last year.  We definitely could include Gabe if they wanted in a trade that landed DHop.  And we would still be able to draft another WR if we wanted to say in the mid rounds.  Like nab someone with high upside like Boutte from LSU in round 4 as just one example.

Sherfield stinks until proven otherwise.   He is like Davis in that he drops passes that hit him in the hands.......and is a sub 60% catch rate target.

But he's not like Davis in that he gets 12 yards per catch instead of 17.   25%-30% more yardage makes those drops a bit easier to stomach.    

Davis history suggests he has a very high ceiling as a #3 if the team runs a ton of 11.   Sherfield........he might have had his "Andre Holmes 2014" season and really be nothing more than a special teamer.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

And D-HOP is substantially better than Davis.  SO....Diggs, DHop and Sherfield are a massive upgrade to what we had last year.  Our 3rd outside WR last year was Kumerow and Sherfield is a lot better than him too.  

So what I said is correct.  If we traded Davis as part of a trade to get Dhop, our top 3 outside WRs of Diggs, DHop and Sherfield are significantly better than the trio of Diggs, Davis and Kumerow last year.  And its not even close.  

9 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Beane is not trading Davis. He believes in him more than anyone, constantly vouches for him whenever he gets the chance and thinks he bounces back in a big way next year. If we get dhop I’m pretty confident gabe isn’t part of the deal.

I agree.  I’m to the point where I think Beane is desperately hoping for any glimpse of consistency from Gabe to immediately extend him.  

I do also think there’s a decent chance we trade for Hopkins this week,  but will admit, it’s a bit clunky of a WR room.  

Talented as all get out, but no true slot.. 3 outside guys and 2 inside/outside guys in Harty & Shakir.  Sherfield as WR6/ST’s. 

You figure it out… Likely means more Diggs in the slot… but it’s not the most complimentary WR room, because you’re not sitting Diggs, Hopkins or Davis in 11 personnel. 

Edited by SCBills

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I agree.  I’m to the point where I think Beane is desperately hoping for any glimpse of consistency from Gabe to immediately extend him.  

I do also think there’s a decent chance we trade for Hopkins this week,  but will admit, it’s a bit clunky of a WR room.  

Talented as all get out, but no true slot.. 3 outside guys and 2 inside/outside guys in Harty & Shakir.  Sherfield as WR6/ST’s. 

You figure it out… Likely means more Diggs in the slot… but it’s not the most complimentary WR room, because you’re not sitting Diggs, Hopkins or Davis in 11 personnel. 

If a trade for Hopkins involves moving back from 27 to 34, I'm tempted to take Josh Downs who is going to be an excellent slot receiver. I would trade Davis for a pick, but doubt Beane would.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If a trade for Hopkins involves moving back from 27 to 34, I'm tempted to take Josh Downs who is going to be an excellent slot receiver. I would trade Davis for a pick, but doubt Beane would.

Diggs - Downs - Hopkins would be disgusting, but agreed .. I’d be jaw to floor shocked if we trade Gabe Davis. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Beane is not trading Davis. He believes in him more than anyone, constantly vouches for him whenever he gets the chance and thinks he bounces back in a big way next year. If we get dhop I’m pretty confident gabe isn’t part of the deal.

Titans GIF by HBO Max

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

You get Hopkins and all of a sudden Diggs gets more opportunities in the slot which=LETHAL. Then you can still stock the cubbard for the future too. Time to set Josh up for not only this year, but the next 5 years.

this all day. Diggs dominates from the slot. Our offense needs wayy more quick slants over the middle

3 hours ago, BillsSbSoon said:

If they believe in Davis they should extend him now.  Wait until next off-season and the cost might be more than Beane chooses to afford.

If they trade Davis in a theoretical deal for Hopkins they can still draft a WR early and Shakir is still there too (I don’t know why folks overlook him.)

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Really playing the odds here.

what is a skrong

Skrong is in some peoples mind a cooler way to say “strong” for me, not so much…

20 minutes ago, purple haze said:

If they believe in Davis they should extend him now.  Wait until next off-season and the cost might be more than Beane chooses to afford.

If they trade Davis in a theoretical deal for Hopkins they can still draft a WR early and Shakir is still there too (I don’t know why folks overlook him.)

Gabe would probably get OBJ type money on the open market. There's no way he's worth that much but he has the stats. Trade him now I say 

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s what WRs make now a days. The top guys will be signing for $25 million!

Then might as well pay Hopkins his money as that would be a bargain by comparison .

If they give Gabe a Christian Kirk type deal after another 50% catch effort I'm going to barf. He has the yards but he ain't that good if you have a pair of eyes .

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Then might as well pay Hopkins his money as that would be a bargain by comparison 

If they give him a Christian Kirk deal after another 50% catch effort I'm going to barf. He has the yards but he ain't that good if you have a pair of eyes 

He’s definitely not a problem for defenses. I think the Bills like his overall fit on the team. He seems like a Dawson Knox type. Inconsistent but checks all the other boxes. 3 P’s. Production, Potential, and Person.