NFL Week #18 - Patriots* @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

49 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Heat of the moment, you throw to who's open.  We definitely can't sink any more money into the guy though, even if he does show up in the playoffs.

I understand, my comment was a bit sarcastic, but finding both a starting WR and a starting slot WR for next season has to be a high priority.  Even with the great Stef Diggs, this has to be the worst WR group in the playoffs.  Neither Davis nor McKenzie can be counted on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He said he'd done it before with the Colts, I wonder how many players have done it more than once?

I think at least one was a punt return.  This stat is for KORs only.  

I would imagine Devin Hester is also on the combined multiple P/KOR list, and that the list is very short.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

It was a great win even with an uneven performance at times.  Consider the week they had and its hard to complain about any of the missed plays and better to focus on the big plays that they made.  

Hines had a special day.   Allen/Diggs connection is back, Cook progressing, Knox had some big plays too.  Then there is Smoke.  Gotta love that.  

On defense, the secondary is going to be challenged in the playoffs.  Great to see Tre get a pick, he is still recovering and we are hoping that each week gets him another step further.  I know I am in the minority on this, but the guy wearing #49 was excellent again.  

Congrats to the Bills, finishing the regular season as the #2 seed is not what we wanted  - but it is still a good position.  

Hoping for continued improvement for Damar, and some great practices and full concentration for this team as they pursue their ultimate goal!!!

GO  BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I did not notice this live lol

This should make the people upset that Hodgins is on the Giants feel better - his phyisical form may be on the Giants - but his soul lives in John Brown on the Bills

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Old Coot said:

The Bills played a mediocre game today.  But good teams win even when they don't play their best. The Bills are a good team.

Gotta up their performance for the playoffs.

Really good teams win by double digits even when they don’t play their best.  The Bills are a really good team. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, daz28 said:

He's certainly not elite, but if he were, we couldn't afford him; so there's that to consider.

Thank you for saying that part out loud.....really, this needs to be read/heard more often with average to below average play not being explained away anymore.

Some random thoughts on the game:

• Singletary is an exceptional blocker. He owned Uche one on one. That’s pretty impressive.
  • Cook’s best plays are when he just starts running. Patience is great, but when he hesitates so long, as he did several times, he loses opportunities.
  • Was it me, or did they show a picture of Isaiah Hodgins with John Brown’s name on his spectacular diving TD catch? And what a catch!
  • Kalil Shakir slowly ascending…
  • After three seasons, I’m still amazed at the chemistry between Allen and Diggs.
  • Knox is really a complete TE, and he was on point today. He’s not a Kelce, or Kittle, of course— but he isn’t asked to be. I wonder how he would respond if he were given the ball more? Is he good enough to be in the conversation with those guys?
  • Some shade thrown at Saffold today. But, I feel like he’s exactly what we were told he was— pretty good in the ground game, not so good at pass pro.
  • I’m all for “letting them play,” but man, did the refs miss some egregious holds, not to mention a facemask and a horse collar on a Josh Allen sack. Mac & Cheese avoided a sack because a Pats* defender got busy undressing Taron Johnson. No call. Second half, they started calling some of them.
  • Defense looked like they were sleepwalking at times. Not a great day for the D-line.
  • Holy crap Edmunds had a good game. So did Milano. At times they were almost carrying the defense.
  • I think Tre White had his best game since his return. Still not the old Tre White, though.
  • I think Elam is better than people are giving him credit for. Parker got the best of him on that TD, but it was good coverage by Elam, IMO.
  • Mac & Cheese had an uncharacteristically strong showing. I hate saying that. There isn’t another player in the league I dislike more. If that prick ends up sticking with the Pats* (I hope he does) he’ll end up earning his own asterisk*.
  • Hines rules! There was some speculation by some posters that we wouldn’t have won this game without Hines’ two spectacular return TDs. (simple math, right?) But this really isn’t true. Those returns also take away time of possession, delayed the offense from getting into rhythm, and put more pressure on the defense. We still would have won this game, because we were the better team. But man, those returns were great to watch!

GO BILLS!!!

EDIT: Regarding the Hodgins <> Brown picture swap-- I just saw that tweet posted above... LOL!

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Success said:

Can we get Hines more involved in the offense?  And Shakir?

I feel like we have some guys who are under-utilized.  It's a talented offense, so I kind of get it, but Hines is a real playmaker.

Talented offense?  Allen and Diggs are great, Singletary and Cook are good, Knox is pretty good and Davis and McKenzie are backup level players.  If Shakir can’t get on the field, it is either bad coaching decisions or he isn’t good, because the guys ahead of him aren’t very good.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, IndyMark said:

Thank you for saying that part out loud.....really, this needs to be read/heard more often with average to below average play not being explained away anymore.

The numbers simply aren't there to be able to say he's elite.  At this point though, affordable might be a better option for us than elite for some positions.  I'm happy with Daquan.

Just now, Dan Darragh said:

12 fumbles in 809 regular season touches before today.  Doesn't sound high to me.

He's only turned the ball over twice in the last two years despite leading the team in touches.

It's not an issue for him. 👍

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Love me some Dion because he always makes me laugh.  He strikes me as a 6' 5" 300 lb. nerd sometimes, lol.

I got to party with Bruce, Biscuit, and Thurman at Sunset Bay Beach Club way back when during TC.  Bennet was bumming cigs off me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, daz28 said:

I got to party with Bruce, Biscuit, and Thurman at Sunset Bay Beach Club way back when during TC.  Bennet was bumming cigs off me. 

LMAO, met Corny a few times.  He was quite the character.  Hard to believe some of these guys smoke cigs even though I bet the number of players that do have decreased since those days.

1 minute ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Do y’all think it’s beneficial to have Phillips out there with 1 arm?!

No. Especially if they're running between the tackles.  If he can't wrap up, he's only out there to eat up some blocks...which is scary if the coaching staff thinks he's the best option.

Any discussion about the reffing yet? Felt like we had a distinct advantage in this game, although admittedly they didn't call much either way.

There were a few blatant faceguards that I feel would normally be pass interference, particularly the one where Romo said there "needs to be contact"

2 minutes ago, finn said:

That might explain why he's never open, but did he need a healthy ankle to catch the eight balls he dropped this year? 

Didn't he hurt his ankle like in week 4?  If it's still bothering him that much, it's probably going to be something that requires surgery.

25 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

What do think about this staff showing different offensive looks featuring a really hot Cook, adding Beas and smoke?

I’ve been hoping that Dorsey has been sandbagging this season, but now I’m just convinced he just doesn’t favor certain things on offense. 

• Agree 3

The problem with Davis and his drops/lack of toe drag/unable to make contested catches is not just the drop itself but the opportunity cost. Give those targets to someone else and you are making more positive plays. I’m not ready to bail at all, he’s on a cheap contract next year. Hopefully he has a monster playoff, you go to war with the army you have and he’s been integral all season even though he hasn’t capitalized on the opportunities.

For the life of me I can’t understand why Shakir isn’t more involved. He’s out there a lot and Josh never looks his way. He also completely ignores Cook who’s wide open all the time on the outlet. If he just starts taking Cook in the flat a few times a game it will open up everything in the middle. I don’t get it except I guess you have to accept Aggressive Josh if you want to get Super Josh

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Fetou said:

Any discussion about the reffing yet? Felt like we had a distinct advantage in this game, although admittedly they didn't call much either way.

There were a few blatant faceguards that I feel would normally be pass interference, particularly the one where Romo said there "needs to be contact"

The call against Elam and the call against motor and Dion were both pretty lame.

I think they balanced out though overall.  

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No wonder the DBs looked like they were asleep out there - Damar was keeping them up texting them at all hours early this AM 😛

3 minutes ago, Fetou said:

There was the blatant PI on the White interception. What else did you see?

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’ve been hoping that Dorsey has been sandbagging this season, but now I’m just convinced he just doesn’t favor certain things on offense. 

I sure hope so because we can't afford an anemic offense against teams like KC and Cincy.

If Tua is back next week, we need to be able to put up point too. They played us tough just a couple weeks ago.

48 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Bills got a comfortable win, game was tight until late but the Bills pulled away despite a late turnover. All in all a bit uneven but the team won. A decent effort to go into the Miami playoff game. 2 seed clinched and no playing in KC not the worst outcome to the regular season. 

The first two sentences could apply to most of the games the Bills played after the loss to the Jets. 

• Like (+1) 1

Love the win. 13 wins for any NFL team in any season is a big mark to hit. 13 wins means that our team is one of the elites for that particular season. And here we are.

Yes, we got the 2nd seed. Oh well. We're damn good.

- Gabe Davis isn't a number 2 receiver. I thought he was. But he proved this year that he's not. Maybe he's just an All Pro during the Playoffs. Robert Horry, of NBA fame, is like this. In the regular season, Robert Horry sucks. He coasts. But in the playoffs, he turns it up. Maybe that's what Gabe Davis is.

- Our secondary will get lit up in the playoffs. Best we can do is get picks and deflections.

- We KNOW how to beat Miami. They already threw their best punch a few weeks ago and we won. We gonna be alright.

- We're destined to meet Cincinnati in the playoffs. Maaan that's gonna be an explosive mega battle. I'm happy that this match up takes place in Buffalo (if it happens).

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Fetou said:

I mean it did feel like we had a player dragged and thrown back into the ball on a punt return which doesn't seem legal.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.