Players retiring ???

Snappysnackcakes

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I had the same thought watching him.  He was a wreck, it’s obvious he was very concerned about Demar and he had made it seem as though he may be looking beyond the game in his off season statements/ his statements during his return.  If he chooses to leave the game, I won’t be surprised and I can’t blame anybody who chooses their life beyond the game.   We have seen Luck walk away and others who are lesser known, if Tre chooses to do so, it would suck for the organization, but nothing was illustrated more last night, these are human beings, throwing their body and lives on the line for entertainment.   Yes, it’s highly lucrative if you play at the highest of levels, but there is no doubt, it’s extremely dangerous out there. 

Yeah and the thing is, I left a job that had a terrible work/life balance and took a substantial paycut to go back to where I was.  It was an easy decision once I actually faced it, so it's not hard at all to imagine some of the thought processes guys like Tre/Morse/Hyde/Poyer must be going through right now.  I encourage each and every one to think about their future

Just now, dorquemada said:

Yeah and the thing is, I left a job that had a terrible work/life balance and took a substantial paycut to go back to where I was.  It was an easy decision once I actually faced it, so it's not hard at all to imagine some of the thought processes guys like Tre/Morse/Hyde/Poyer must be going through right now.  I encourage each and every one to think about their future

Could not agree more.  My wife is at that point in her job, money is not everything and you need to make sure you live (I hate this term, but…) “your best life”.   Especially for the guys mentioned above, they have plenty of money already, they could all go live comfortably for the rest of their lives.   I would be surprised if they all made that choice, but a couple of them define could make that decision and nobody should be surprised or blame them.  Especially, Hyde and Morse from an age/injury perspective. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Unfortunately this will effect the NFL and the game as we know it. I could see players walking away. This is why most choose to play Baseball. More guaranteed money and very little to no contact. 

Most players are going to be looking at the long term affect the game has on their health. And these guys are guaranteed only so much money. 

Aren't many guys the size of lineman and most LBs playing MLB.  It's not an option for the vast majority of football players.

Players have already considered the long term affect the game has on their health.  Very few walk away early. 

• Agree 1

Still TBD if this was commotio cordis with Damar. This rare phenomenon is seen more frequently in baseball, hockey, and lacrosse but it has not had an impact on participation.

Though the possibility of CTE appears to be having an impact. Certainly on parents focusing their boys on other sports.

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I think Tre hangs them up after this year.

He was shook by covid and lost family. His presser coming back from injury about how he spent so much time getting to know himself outside of football. 

Tre looked as rattled as anybody out there. 

No judgement. I love Tre. He is my favorite Bill. I hope life treats him well in whatever he decides. 

Yea he is the one. He nearly sat out covid. He has clearly been reluctant getting back on the field at times after the ACL. The happy, smiley, always joking Tre of a few years ago seems to have gone. Then last night happened. 

If anyone does hang it up on the back of the experience of last night Tre would be my bet. 

I have to say even as a fan I have felt really off all day. Almost sick. I confess to asking myself "is this something I want to watch?" I am not a boxing or MMA fan because the idea of beating other people up for fun and sport has never appealed to me and then you see something like last night and think man is a life worth that? Ihave to keep reminding myself that I have watched hundreds if not thousands of NFL games and never seen that before. So it is the exception not the rule, a bit of a freak happening. But I had decided if they re-started that game this week while Damar was in a coma I wasn't going to watch it. I think it would have been a disgraceful decision. I hope that by Sunday I will want to watch NFL football again. But the last 24 hours has shaken my fandom like nothing else. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Would you stop driving your car just because you come across a crash scene?  Probably not.  Most players finish long careers with a variety of scars and healed broken bones, but very very few are disabled, and on the other end of the spectrum, some walk away without any damage at all.  Most guys probably figure they'll end up in the middle of the spectrum, having achieved their life's goal of playing for years in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Could not agree more.  My wife is at that point in her job, money is not everything and you need to make sure you live (I hate this term, but…) “your best life”.   Especially for the guys mentioned above, they have plenty of money already, they could all go live comfortably for the rest of their lives.   I would be surprised if they all made that choice, but a couple of them define could make that decision and nobody should be surprised or blame them.  Especially, Hyde and Morse from an age/injury perspective. 

I think too many people feel their "best life" is from monetary and material things but end up realizing, hopefully not too late, some of the wealthiest people with the most material things are some of the poorest people there are.  It's taken everything they had to obtain it and once they look back there is nothing left of anything else...family, relationships, friends, etc...

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he is the one. He nearly sat out covid. He has clearly been reluctant getting back on the field at times after the ACL. The happy, smiley, always joking Tre of a few years ago seems to have gone. Then last night happened. 

If anyone does hang it up on the back of the experience of last night Tre would be my bet. 

I have to say even as a fan I have felt really off all day. Almost sick. I confess to asking myself "is this something I want to watch?" I am not a boxing or MMA fan because the idea of beating other people up for fun and sport has never appealed to me and then you see something like last night and think man is a life worth that? Ihave to keep reminding myself that I have watched hundreds if not thousands of NFL games and never seen that before. So it is the exception not the rule, a bit of a freak happening. But I had decided if they re-started that game this week while Damar was in a coma I wasn't going to watch it. I think it would have been a disgraceful decision. I hope that by Sunday I will want to watch NFL football again. But the last 24 hours has shaken my fandom like nothing else. 

This is where I am. I told myself if they restart the game I’ll turn it off. 

I work for a company based outside of the region, I retold the story in my weekly call. I’m still very shook by it. I choked back some tears. 

Hamlin was dead on the field for minutes on end. 

It’s been a really hard couple of months for Buffalo. Tops.  A snow storm. Then a real storm that killed 37. Then this. 

• Agree 1

The guy that I hope can retire and does so with a SB Ring would be Mitch Morse.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I can agree with all your emotions.

I went to Grad school at Tulane and any joy from their most important football game since 1939 ended for me last night.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is where I am. I told myself if they restart the game I’ll turn it off. 

I work for a company based outside of the region, I retold the story in my weekly call. I’m still very shook by it. I choked back some tears. 

Hamlin was dead on the field for minutes on end. 

It’s been a really hard couple of months for Buffalo. Tops.  A snow storm. Then a real storm that killed 37. Then this. 

I wanted to switch it off and go to bed. But at the same time I felt guilty doing that. I know it is absolutely ridiculous but I felt like if I turn this off I am giving up on Damar. Eventually after the NFL called it the UK tv channel cut the feed and I did go to bed but even then I just tossed and turned fearing a notification ping. Just a surreal night. I have been at something similar in a non-league soccer match a few years back when I was coaching and a player collapsed (he survived thankfully). It brought all of that back for me and I can't imagine what the people who witnessed it on the field last night went through and are still going through. 

• Like (+1) 1

If I was a First round draft pick I would seriously consider retiring after my first contract. Cash In quick with a huge contract and advertising contracts. Then parlay that money safely for a good long life with health. 

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

If I was a First round draft pick I would seriously consider retiring after first contract. Cash I’m quick with a huge contract and advertising contracts healthy. Then parlay that money safely for a good long life with health. 

I wonder if this is why Andrew Luck retired when he did.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Utah John said:

I wonder if this is why Andrew Luck retired when he did.

I think it was. Makes sense, it’s the smartest thing to do. How much money do you really need to live a healthy happy life? I suspect all players are asking themselves that question right now. 

24 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Would you stop driving your car just because you come across a crash scene?  Probably not.  Most players finish long careers with a variety of scars and healed broken bones, but very very few are disabled, and on the other end of the spectrum, some walk away without any damage at all.  Most guys probably figure they'll end up in the middle of the spectrum, having achieved their life's goal of playing for years in the NFL.

Very strange and stupid comparison.

Cars aren’t what would be scary-  people driving is what is scary. if you plan on leaving your house, ever…..to anywhere, 90%+ of the population will be doing so in some sort of a vehicle on a road…..with other drivers.  So unless you want to be confined to your house for life…..you have to get over that fear.  

Football is a job.  A way to make money.   There are millions of other ways to make money.  If you were to give up football, you can still leave your house and go places.  You’d just get another job.  If you gave up being on a road, we’ll that requires a drastic change of life that most wouldn’t be able to endure.  

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wanted to switch it off and go to bed. But at the same time I felt guilty doing that. I know it is absolutely ridiculous but I felt like if I turn this off I am giving up on Damar. Eventually after the NFL called it the UK tv channel cut the feed and I did go to bed but even then I just tossed and turned fearing a notification ping. Just a surreal night. I have been at something similar in a non-league soccer match a few years back when I was coaching and a player collapsed (he survived thankfully). It brought all of that back for me and I can't imagine what the people who witnessed it on the field last night went through and are still going through. 

In my younger days I played in an adult soccer league.  One guy on our arch rival team was in terrific shape, and was a good player.  Someone kicked a ball during a game that caught him in the chest.  He died right then and there.  He was in his 30s.  

Another time in a different league, a 30-something man got hit in the abdomen with a kicked ball.  The impact ruptured his spleen, and only by getting to the hospital immediately did he save his life.  

These were not top-level competition soccer leagues, in fact to protect us old guys from ourselves we were not allowed to tackle or leave our feet.  None of us had nearly the power of kick that a college or pro player would have.  And still these freak things happened.  And no one quit playing because of them.  

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Very strange and stupid comparison.

Cars aren’t what would be scary-  people driving is what is scary. if you plan on leaving your house, ever…..to anywhere, 90%+ of the population will be doing so in some sort of a vehicle on a road…..with other drivers.  So unless you want to be confined to your house for life…..you have to get over that fear.  

Football is a job.  A way to make money.   There are millions of other ways to make money.  If you were to give up football, you can still leave your house and go places.  You’d just get another job.  If you gave up being on a road, we’ll that requires a drastic change of life that most wouldn’t be able to endure.  

The point is that we all take risks, every day, doing things that can end in tragedy.  We fly on airplanes and eat at McDonald's and go out in the sun without sunscreen.  And we still do them.  

For an NFL-caliber football player, football is not just a job.  It might be the only thing that man can do to make a living.  You or I could quit our jobs or change careers, but for these players, there is no substitute.

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I stuck around to hear about Hamlin. But it became clear very quickly that there was no way football was going to be played. 

Kudo's to McD, Zac Brown, and ESPN for not backing down to the behemoth that is the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Utah John said:

In my younger days I played in an adult soccer league.  One guy on our arch rival team was in terrific shape, and was a good player.  Someone kicked a ball during a game that caught him in the chest.  He died right then and there.  He was in his 30s.  

Another time in a different league, a 30-something man got hit in the abdomen with a kicked ball.  The impact ruptured his spleen, and only by getting to the hospital immediately did he save his life.  

These were not top-level competition soccer leagues, in fact to protect us old guys from ourselves we were not allowed to tackle or leave our feet.  None of us had nearly the power of kick that a college or pro player would have.  And still these freak things happened.  And no one quit playing because of them.  

The point is that we all take risks, every day, doing things that can end in tragedy.  We fly on airplanes and eat at McDonald's and go out in the sun without sunscreen.  And we still do them.  

For an NFL-caliber football player, football is not just a job.  It might be the only thing that man can do to make a living.  You or I could quit our jobs or change careers, but for these players, there is no substitute.

It was a terrible comparison imo.  

For SOME NFL caliber football players, football is not a job.  For many, it is just that.  It’s a means to an end.  And end of working for a living and providing for their family.  Several NFL players have already achieved that could retire right now and not have to worry about money again. 

there was a spat of them around andrew luck, the LB out of Boston college in Cinci (kuchley sp), and our own undrafted LB AJ Tarpley.

AJ got a pretty sweet gig at BOA right after that and was still working out pretty hard.  he left wall st because his heart was still in football and he's only been able to get like xfl or indoor football gigs since.  he "retired" after his undrafted free agent nfl year because he had a bunch of concussions, but came back because he missed being a football guy (and this is a stanford grad!).  

I think it takes something really big for a guy to walk away from a top flight nfl career to where you won't be just filled with thoughts of what if and regret.

54 minutes ago, wppete said:

If I was a First round draft pick I would seriously consider retiring after my first contract. Cash In quick with a huge contract and advertising contracts. Then parlay that money safely for a good long life with health. 

Not many people who have the talent and drive to become 1st round picks have this kind of thinking. They are at the pinnacle of their profession and will never do anything else to this high of a level again. They worked their entire lives for this moment. Maybe if you're a 6th rounder like Myron Rolle who has an M.D. to fall back on, sure.

There are no guarantees in this world. ~8,000 people die a day in this country. Some of them are old people who die of natural causes, others like Ronnie Hillman die at 31 from renal cancer and plenty more don't make it nearly that far. You've gotta live your best life, and for guys like NFL players that isn't sitting on the couch waiting to die of old age.

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not many people who have the talent and drive to become 1st round picks have this kind of thinking. They are at the pinnacle of their profession and will never do anything else to this high of a level again. They worked their entire lives for this moment. Maybe if you're a 6th rounder like Myron Rolle who has an M.D. to fall back on, sure.

There are no guarantees in this world. ~8,000 people die a day in this country. Some of them are old people who die of natural causes, others like Ronnie Hillman die at 31 from renal cancer and plenty more don't make it nearly that far. You've gotta live your best life, and for guys like NFL players that isn't sitting on the couch waiting to die of old age.

After what everyone witnessed last night I feel every player in the NFL is questioning their career. IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

After what everyone witnessed last night I feel every player in the NFL is questioning their career. IMHO.

And there would be thousands of players lining up to take their place. It's a bummer, but it's life. ***** happens.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

In addition the odds of dying in a car crash are 1 in 107. Much higher than in a football game. I don’t think those odds have caused people to stop driving/riding in cars. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He didn't retire after his first contract.  He got a new contract in his fifth year and played 4 years under that contract for a total of 8 seasons.

Thanks for that info.  He still could have figured, why push my ...errr...

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Wouldn't cross my mind. Things can happen anywhere at any time. When it's my time it's my time. Id rather something happen doing something I love and enjoying myself. 

i'd rather go doing something i hate, i want to be alive for the fun stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Probably not. 

they know it’s a dangerous game, and have seen guys paralyzed. I think the retirement talk is larger being a prisoner of the emotions of the moment- on Sunday they will be nfl players, and for many it’s everything they ever dreamed of, even knowing the risk. 

hell, the concussion stuff illustrates the need for outsiders to intervene and stop the players from hurting themselves 

Exactly.  Ryan Clark on SportsCenter last nite said the same thing.  Its all most of the players ever dreamed of doing with their lives.  Most of these guys are not Andrew Luck.  They are programmed to play football for as long as they possibly can.  My son just finished his 6th year playing college ball.  He said he played the most snaps of any d lineman in the country this season.  Some games he played 80+ plays.  He is a good solid player.  He maybe a low round draft pick.  Depending on how he does at his pro day.  He suffered a bad knee injury at the start of the 2019 season.  Came back from that in time for the 2020 season.  He suffered a bad ankle injury his Junior year in High School and missed most of that season.  But he came back to have a great senior high school season.  Fortunately, he had a healthy final college season accept for the normal bumps and bruises you get playing all those plays near the line of scrimmage.  He has his degree, and is a smart dude.  But his goal is to play in the NFL.  Its what he always has wanted to do, regardless of the risk.  I hope he gets to live out his dream.  It can make you nervous if you overthink it.  So I don't.  

5 hours ago, wppete said:

Probably not 

Ryan Clark said it best when he said this was a night NOBODY ever wanted to see… BUT EVERY player knew the day could come 

they all know the consequences 

how many people , amateur or pro , said they would give EVERYTHING to make it to the NFL or NHL etc? 

well Ryan Clark again said it perfectly…. Everything includes your life and Damar may have given his for his brothers 

he gave everything he had on that field … take a game off , take 2… but the way to honor him is to play for demar because he gave everything for the team

11 hours ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

If you’re that player who’s gotten at least one non-rookie contract, do you seriously consider hanging it up after watching what’s gone on this season with Tua and now Damar? (A few others, too)

Not many guys will do this, and I’m not claiming they should, but how can a fella not think about this when they self-evaluate after the season? Wives, parents, and, hopefully, agents need to have these conversations. We’re not at the same risk level as Bering Sea fishing, but it is not sustainable. 

Poyer? Dude, your body is breaking down. Micah? Walk away while you can. Mitch? Same. Saffold? Do you really need the extra $3mil? I could say something about half of our team alone. 

Guys may start really thinking about getting in and getting out with their health first and the wallet is just a bonus. 

Is this conversation too soon? Maybe. 

No. It's actually not that dangerous of a job when compared to other physical jobs, too. 

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

i'd rather go doing something i hate, i want to be alive for the fun stuff.

Especially early on. Like you show up traffic court and the line is around the block. You know you’re gonna be there for 4-5 hours minimum. 

You first get in line…bam….over with. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bering Sea fishermen fish

Bull riders ride bulls

Race car drivers race cars

Astronauts ride rockets into space

Football players play football

They all know what they signed up for, what can happen and why they do it.

Here sits my 56 year old rear behind my desk at my little job wishing I had done more 

Edited by bmur66

19 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm asking because I don't understand how Tua is allowed back on a NFL field

His coach would had his team playing Monday night after what happened to Damar. 

13 hours ago, Utah John said:

Thanks for that info.  He still could have figured, why push my ...errr...

Luck was tired of rehabbing and it made him lose the love of the game. I’m sure that will happen for some guys, but the vast majority will continue to play 

I can see a player rethinking his career after watching Tua get concussed over and over.  Unfortunately, that's a real risk associated with football.

I don't understand why anybody would have a similar reaction to Hamlin's injury.  That was a freak accident that doesn't normally happen in this sport or any other sport.  Retiring from football because of Hamlin's injury is like giving up exercise because one of your coworkers fell of his bike and suffered a brain injury.  Actually, that would be less of an overreaction than the retirement thing.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.