Rooting interests week 17

CorkScrewHill

There are three very important games for the Bills and then some that are nice to haves.

1) Bills vs Bengals .. obviously

2) Steelers at Baltimore - need Baltimore to win to make the following weeks game a win for the AFC North title. In the event that  the Bengals beat the Bills this provides the only other way the Bills could hold on to the one seed. Would need a loss by the Chiefs in one of their last two games. Regardless if Baltimore wins out and the Bills win one we are at worst the 2 seed. Basically sets up a reverse scenario of 2017 needing the Ravens to beat the Bengals.

3) Denver at Chiefs .. sigh .. the Chiefs are catching some massive breaks.

other games

4) Jets at Seattle. The Jets D is tough .. I do not want to see them in the playoffs.

5) Dolphins at Patriots. I would like to see the Dolphins in this one as it may give the Pats less reason to put up a fight in the last game … as they would be eliminated from playoff contention

Would be interested in other thoughts on games of importance.

Just now, Process said:

Bills win on Monday they are the 1 seed. Lose we are 3. Just win baby. It's as simple as that.

They can still get the one even if they lose .. they would just need help including from the Ravens

Just now, Greg S said:

KC is not losing to the Broncos or Raiders. The only game that matters are Bills games. They are going to have to win these last two for the #1 seed. 

The Chiefs lost to the Colts and easily could have lost to the Texans. It is unlikely but not impossible for them to lose one of those games.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

They can still get the one even if they lose .. they would just need help including from the Ravens

The Chiefs lost to the Colts and easily could have lost to the Texans. It is unlikely but not impossible for them to lose one of those games.

I hope you are right, and they do lose. I am not counting on it. 

7 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Even if we lose to Cincy that Bengals/Baltimore week 18 game is still important.

Assuming the Chiefs win out the 2 seed would be in play.  We'd much rather have 2 home games than 1 and another likely trip to Cincinnati in round 2

This is important and shouldn’t be overlooked. Going from 1 to 2 would be a much better situation than falling to 3 seed. KC isn’t losing to DEN or LVR, so the Ravens are a key matchup. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Even if we lose to Cincy that Bengals/Baltimore week 18 game is still important.

Assuming the Chiefs win out the 2 seed would be in play.  We'd much rather have 2 home games than 1 and another likely trip to Cincinnati in round 2

That's true! I also think one of the most important aspects of getting the #1 seed is that the #2 & #3 will play each other in the second round (baring an upset.)

So the #1 seed will only have one game against the big three. While the winner of #2 v #3 will have to play two of the big three. 

• Agree 2

Regarding the Fish/Pats*** game -- I don't agree that a Miami win is better for Buffalo because the Pats*** are eliminated going into the last game.  A team with nothing to play for also has nothing to lose.  Besides, I don't want the Fish to make the playoffs.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

It is only important if the Ravens beat the Steelers, hence why that is a key game this week

15 minutes ago, TBBills said:

There is no rooting interest other than our own. This is playoff football right now they NEED to win every game. That is the difference between 1st seed and 3rd seed.

If we win both obviously it is moot what happens in other games, but if we do lose to Cincy .. the rooting interests (Baltimore and Denver very much come into play 

19 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I know it’s a pipe dream, but a perfect sequence this weekend would be Chiefs somehow lose to the Broncos, and then we beat the Bengals to clinch the 1 seed already.  Isn’t Von big on speaking things into existence?

Continuing on this pipe dream, if the Bills won and the Chiefs lost, the one seed would be locked.  Would the Bills and then play backups?  Would they care on the scenario on who they sent into the playoffs? 

Like it might be a win and in scenario for NE and if they lost Miami might get in.  IMO (and probably most) Miami would be a stronger threat to KC than NE.  Would be interesting to see.

5 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Continuing on this pipe dream, if the Bills won and the Chiefs lost, the one seed would be locked.  Would the Bills and then play backups?  Would they care on the scenario on who they sent into the playoffs? 

Like it might be a win and in scenario for NE and if they lost Miami might get in.  IMO (and probably most) Miami would be a stronger threat to KC than NE.  Would be interesting to see.

If the Jets beat Seattle and Miami, then Jets fans would lose their minds if the Bills played their backups against NE. The Jets have to win both and have NE lose one. I don't see NE losing at home to a Teddy Bridgewater led Dolphins team. Belichick usually has a game plan that crushes average QB's like TB.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

Bills win on Monday they are the 1 seed. Lose we are 3. Just win baby. It's as simple as that.

At this point the Bills get what they earn.  If they wish to have a week off then they know what they need.  If they win or lose only the path changes but the goal remains the same.  As a fan I would prefer they win out because I enjoy Bills wins much more than the loses, though to be honest any Bills game with Josh Allen as Qb has been entertaining so I would be upset for the players if they fail to reach their goal of SB Champs, but I'll have likely seen some amazing football games because I expect this  Bills team to have learned their football lessons well to not lose their focus.  They have weathered the football storms and bounced back after dealing with some adversity.   They will earn what their play deserves and we just have the pleasure of watching them

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Bills need to win out then nothing else matters. 

We don't want to go back to KC again.

The last THREE TIMES Josh walked offed the field for the final time in a game in KC…BILLS WERE WINING! We OWN KC IN KC!

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 1

My rooting interests are Buffalo over Cinci and anything that knocks Miami out of the playoffs.  I dont even care if its the Pats or Jets over Miami.  I fricken hate Miami fans with a passion.  Miami not making the playoffs at all after all their fans thinking they were superbowl bound is at the top of my list of happiness second only to the Bills winning the superbowl.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

They almost blew a 27-0 lead against these very same Broncos the week before KC's game against the Texans.

That's even after Wilson left the game with a concussion, which normally wouldn't be that big of a deal this year, but it was the only time Russell has been hot this year throwing for 3 tds in 3:32 of game time prior to his leaving.

Rypien then came I'm and threw a td to cut the lead to 34-28. Had a couple drives with a chance to win it, but couldn't. Denver's defense picked Mahomes off 3 times that game.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

31 minutes ago, DrDare said:

I DO want to see the Jets in the playoffs

Why? They have a team that can give us trouble. Their defense is good, and they gave Allen problems in both games. Even when we beat them it was a hard fought, physical game. With MILF Man not playing anymore, White can give them decent QB play. I would rather the Bills face the Pats or Fins then the Jets simply because of their defense. 

On 12/29/2022 at 4:25 PM, Boatdrinks said:

This is important and shouldn’t be overlooked. Going from 1 to 2 would be a much better situation than falling to 3 seed. KC isn’t losing to DEN or LVR, so the Ravens are a key matchup. 

Agreed, but it'd funny how it works.

If we lose on Monday, we want Ravens to win, so we can be seed 2.

But if we win, we want Bengals to beat Ravens, so we can play Ravens after the bye (if they beat Jags/Titans), and let Bengals/Chiefs fight each other.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/29/2022 at 9:35 AM, CorkScrewHill said:

There are three very important games for the Bills and then some that are nice to haves.

1) Bills vs Bengals .. obviously

2) Steelers at Baltimore - need Baltimore to win to make the following weeks game a win for the AFC North title. In the event that  the Bengals beat the Bills this provides the only other way the Bills could hold on to the one seed. Would need a loss by the Chiefs in one of their last two games. Regardless if Baltimore wins out and the Bills win one we are at worst the 2 seed. Basically sets up a reverse scenario of 2017 needing the Ravens to beat the Bengals.

3) Denver at Chiefs .. sigh .. the Chiefs are catching some massive breaks.

other games

4) Jets at Seattle. The Jets D is tough .. I do not want to see them in the playoffs.

5) Dolphins at Patriots. I would like to see the Dolphins in this one as it may give the Pats less reason to put up a fight in the last game … as they would be eliminated from playoff contention

Would be interested in other thoughts on games of importance.

Good point about rooting for the Dolphins this week. If they are out, the Patriots will totally fold in that last game. 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Good point about rooting for the Dolphins this week. If they are out, the Patriots will totally fold in that last game. 

don’t be so sure about that… we should win that game either way, though

(unless the unthinkable happens and KC loses to Denver on Sunday AND we also beat the Bengals, which would mean we have the 1 seed all wrapped up and would likely be resting key starters).

15 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

crap!  I meant Sunday.  I’m all screwed up as far as days of the week still 😂

College goes tomorrow that is why there is no NFL. I actually forgot about the college games but there are games to watch tomorrow.

12:00 - Sugar Bowl. Alabama vs Kansas St.

12:00 - Music City Bowl. Iowa vs Kentucky

4:00 - Fiesta Bowl. TCU vs Michigan

8:00 - Peach Bowl. Ohio St vs Georgia.

10 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

don’t be so sure about that… we should win that game either way, though

(unless the unthinkable happens and KC loses to Denver on Sunday AND we also beat the Bengals, which would mean we have the 1 seed all wrapped up and would likely be resting key starters).

it is really tough to know the mindset of an eliminated team, for sure.

by the way, in your unlikely scenario, I am not writing off the broncos. They will need some good luck and Wilson to show up, but sometimes these teams play really hard for their interim coaches. 

On 12/29/2022 at 9:49 AM, Greg S said:

KC is not losing to the Broncos or Raiders. The only game that matters are Bills games. They are going to have to win these last two for the #1 seed. 

Division games are hell just look at the bills/jets and miami games, I wouldn't be suprised if raiders or denver, who they played close in earlier games finally steals one.

On 12/29/2022 at 5:29 PM, Scott7975 said:

My rooting interests are Buffalo over Cinci and anything that knocks Miami out of the playoffs.  I dont even care if its the Pats or Jets over Miami.  I fricken hate Miami fans with a passion.  Miami not making the playoffs at all after all their fans thinking they were superbowl bound is at the top of my list of happiness second only to the Bills winning the superbowl.

Yeah I'm torn on this one. I hate Miami fans and would love to see them miss the playoffs. But I also think they have far and away the best chance out of them, NE, and NYJ to beat the Chiefs in the first round 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.