2023 Draft- Wide Receiver discussion

NewEra

3 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

We have quality WRs but we obviously lack depth. WR should not be a day 1 or 2 priority. Maybe UDFA. O-Line should be a priority after watching Quessenberry try to fill in. LB and Safety are priorities. You improve the O-line, RB becomes less of a priority. 

30. Antonio Johnson S Texas A&M - assuming Poyer is gone

62. Tommy Eichenberg LB Ohio State - assuming Edmunds is gone

94. Steve Avila OG TCU - can also play C

130. Olusegun Oluwatimi OC Michigan - Morse concussions

135. Jalen Graham LB Purdue - Our LB depth is bad

162. Cody Mauch OT North Dakota State - started as a TE in college - banking on better than average athleticism 

OR

Charlie Jones WR Purdue - 1st in receptions  

I think this is a solid draft, overall.

Like the O-Lineman picks, and Antonio Johnson would be a good addition.

I don't see the Bills drafting 2 more Linebackers, nor do I see them going defense with our first two picks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I would suggest having a look at the WR corps for Alabama!  They will probably all end up in the NFL anyway...one or 2 of them have to be phenomenal athletes.

That place is a conveyor belt of nationally ranked talent.

Are you talking this year? Bama took a big step back at receiver this year. Ja'Corey Brooks is the closest guy they have to call a #1 option. A lot of development needs to happen for their current corps. Two of their top 3 in yardage receivers were from the portal. One was a RB. No doubt, they have been a top 3 producer of NFL talent at WR. Bama, LSU, Ohio State.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s Diggs 2.0. He’s a ridiculous route runnner with outstanding hands. He just gets open. He may be a slot guy at the next level, especially early, but so what. That’s what Diggs was too. We just added our a slot guy out of retirement. If the Bills want to use him, like they did Beasley. Earlier in his career, so be it. That is a big need.

JSN is more explosive than he gets credit for. The Bills need a WR that they can count on. They have some guys that can go crazy (like Davis and McKenzie). JSN would add some stability. He’d be a star for the Bills IMO.

I am leery about drafting slot only in round 1. And while people projected Diggs inside he played outside really early as a rookie that was when I first noticed him - working over Darius Slay as a rookie. And obviously Diggs was a 5th rounder.

I like JSN from the games I saw him play last year but if my conclusion when I dig into his tape is that he can't play outside consistently in the NFL if will affect my grade on him. If, however, he is a Stef Diggs who can instantly translate to an outside guy then I think he has a chance to be graded very highly (but is likely gone before we pick!)

• Agree 1

Unfortunately, WRs are going to be a hot commodity for a couple years, contracts exploded for Vets and young guys are producing early returns.  Teams are going to have to take them early, there’s no budget for a 40M QB and 2WRs at 22M+  if you have half the cap tied to 3 people, you won’t have a team.

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

If you can’t recognize WR as a need after this season then I think you just don’t want to see it. 

No, when you are about to lose your starting ILB and Safety to Free Agency, you see needs elsewhere that should be addressed. We lost to the Jets because of our lack of linebackers and no quality to backup Milano. Dodson (or Bernard) can't replace Edmunds. We're going to have a hard time replacing Poyer. Beane backed himself into a 2023 draft of needs.

• Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

Jaxon Smith-Njigba 

I’ve done very light research but this man intrigues me. As does Cedric Tillman. Not saying it’s “too early” for draft talk, I just don’t know enough to deserve an opinion on anything. I do know that Marvin Harrison Jr. is going to be an absolute monster in a few years though.

My #1 FA for Buffalo would be Mike Gesicki. He had a bad year, he’ll be cheap and Buffalo could run Twin TE/Big/Jumbo sets with him and Knox.

Bills desperately need OL help as well.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Personally, I think that the medicals this year was just a way to protect himself. I know that the OSU fans have been annoyed but I don’t blame him. I believe that he can, and will, play in and out in the NFL (like Diggs). Without the injury there is no way that JSN would have fallen to 30 (or whatever). He’s going to be a great pro, day 1, imo. 

We tend to view all knee issues as random but the vulnerabilities can be hereditary.    Given how the injuries set back his bro you can't blame them for having him sit out.    But a team can be cautious about it.    If he clears medical concerns and tests thru the roof he could very well be a top 10 pick regardless.    Not a great WR class.     

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Of the little I've read up on the draft I like Jordan Addison as our 1st round WR target. A few clips here:

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-skol-search-jordan-addison-scouting-report/

Nothing flashy about his game, he just does a little bit of everything well. In our offense with Josh Allen in particular I think he would thrive. He is smart, QB friendly, instinctive reading blocks and finding holes in zone, and plucks the ball out of the air. Sounds like the kind of player that fits right into Josh Allen's motto "get open, catch the ball".  And it seems that he can play outside or in the slot which means we could move him and Diggs all over the LOS. If his football character checks out he seems like a player Beane would really like. Not sure that he really pops 1st round talent but in the 30s you take what you can get.

Edited by HappyDays

7 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

what we need is a big bodied vertical outside guy who can make contested catches

Contested catch is a highly overrated skill in the pros IMO. I can count the number of above average WRs that make a living off of contested catches on one hand. Who needs contested catches when you can get open with route running and intelligence? I would take a lesser version of Stefon Diggs over Mike Williams for example, not even close.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Contested catch is a highly overrated skill in the pros IMO. I can count the number of above average WRs that make a living off of contested catches on one hand. Who needs contested catches when you can get open with route running and intelligence? I would take a lesser version of Stefon Diggs over Mike Williams for example, not even close.

Well you maybe don't make a living off of it but it's a nice thing to have.  Mike Evans is a vertical threat who can make contested catches. Mike Williams doesn't just make contested catches. I sure had wishful visions of him in a Bills uni before he signed again with the Chargers. I wish Gabe Davis could win more contested passes (but it seems he can't). Its an important skill for outside receivers, especially the big ones who typically get less separation. And "making contested catches" is here a bit of shorthand for all of the skills that kind of receiver should have - the ability to use his length to win by high pointing the ball, the body control and physicality to box out DBs and, yes, strong hands.

I would love to have George Pickens.

There appear to be some quite good slot/power slot receivers in this draft (though that's not where the cream of this years class is). If any of them turns into an elite player of course you'd be overjoyed to have him (and regret having passed) and that position is also a need what with Beasley's absence, McK's inconsistencies, Crowder's injury and the teams reluctance to give Shakir a bigger role. Still if I had to choose between equally promising slot and big bodied vertical threats I'd go for the latter. Its just harder to find.
I see the Bills taking a receiver later in the draft, and not before Rd 3 but probably later (unless they love a guy who falls).

9 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

No, when you are about to lose your starting ILB and Safety to Free Agency, you see needs elsewhere that should be addressed. We lost to the Jets because of our lack of linebackers and no quality to backup Milano. Dodson (or Bernard) can't replace Edmunds. We're going to have a hard time replacing Poyer. Beane backed himself into a 2023 draft of needs.

Didn’t realize a lack of depth at LB was the reason the Bills only scored 17 points

Edited by gobills404
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Well not quite, don't forget Ruggs (12), Jeudy (15), Lamb (17), Reagor (21) were all taken in front of him. 

Coming out of college there was a lot of talk that Jefferson benefited too much playing from the slot on LSU basically being given free space at will and that wouldn't be there for him in the NFL.

Reagor was an awful pick and I never understood the fascination with Jeudy who benefitted way more than Jefferson from the talent around him.  Jefferson had size, speed and contested catch ability that was very impressive.  I thought Chase was better but he was awesome in college. I actually didn’t understand why the Bills traded for Diggs that draft with all of the WR talent but it worked out very well for both the Vikings and Bills.  And I wouldn’t change anything because Diggs is a leader and a good teammate that helped Josh take it to the next level.

14 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Well not quite, don't forget Ruggs (12), Jeudy (15), Lamb (17), Reagor (21) were all taken in front of him. 

Coming out of college there was a lot of talk that Jefferson benefited too much playing from the slot on LSU basically being given free space at will and that wouldn't be there for him in the NFL.

This. His one year of elite production came from the slot and teams are leery about taking slot only guys high. His prior year's tape on the outside was pretty average. He'd have been a mid day 2 guy based on that tape. It made me wary of him too. Ultimately I was wrong, the teams that passed were wrong. But they had a legit reason for concern. Even if in hindsight they should have seen past it. 

If JJ's final year at LSU he had put up the numbers he did playing outside he'd have been a top 5 pick. 

17 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I would suggest having a look at the WR corps for Alabama!  They will probably all end up in the NFL anyway...one or 2 of them have to be phenomenal athletes.

That place is a conveyor belt of nationally ranked talent.

Not this season. Their WRs did not do a great job at all and iirc 3 of them hit the transfer portal. Some of the younger guys look promising but much of this will depend on the QB situation in 2023.

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Not this season. Their WRs did not do a great job at all and iirc 3 of them hit the transfer portal. Some of the younger guys look promising but much of this will depend on the QB situation in 2023.

Hey Bill, thoughts on Harrell?  Kids got some juice.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Hey Bill, thoughts on Harrell?  Kids got some juice.

He does and he was injured for much of the season.  You are right; the kid can fly. 

Despite only having 2 losses (by a total of 4 points mind you) The Tide was not all that impressive on the OL and at WR. Sound familiar? :) 

Barring injuries, 2023 should be different. Much different. The OL looks fantastic. Keep your eye on incoming soph. Corey Booker. He is huge and NASTY! I project him to RT and Latham to LT. They also recruited the top rated OT (5 overall at any position), but again, I feel like JC Latham will be moved to LT and this kid will play mostly guard. Speaking of guard, they have 3 highly ranked monsters coming in. Big, mean monsters. 

Ja'cory Brooks looks good at WR, so does Prentice (#80) imo. I also like the TE we took from Maryland in the transfer portal. In summary, we should be fine in terms of receivers.

The question will be at QB. Milroe can run as well as Josh Allen. I'm serious, but his yards per attempt are shockingly low. He has a great arm but is  inaccurate so far. I'm not extremely confident in him. There are 2 highly rated freshman QBs coming in and I like them both. That said, I am VERY high on sophmore Ty Simpson. Check him out tomorrow if you will be watching. I think that he has a good arm, nice touch, and he is a scrambler.

Before the draft, I will post my thoughts about all of the draft eligible players at Bama. 

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

If I were the Bills I would be looking for a high end slot WR. I know a lot of fans want that 1A WR that we wanted Gabe to blossom into but I think this teams dollars are better spent finding a high quality slot WR and developing Shakir and maybe a WR picked in round 3 or 4. Gabe is going to finish the season with between 800-1000 yards and 8-10 TD's in 16 games (was hurt for one game and banged up several others) that's not bad WR2 production and I think given a full year as a WR2 Davis could improve in year 4 and make more of an impact. 

Adding a true high quality slot WR would give Josh that short to mid yard option to break two deep zones down and it would be massively cheaper than finding a dynamic WR on. the outside. You could then add a WR in round 3 for some depth and to develop long term. I would then rather spend the first round pick on the O-line where there is a more glaring need. 

• Disagree 1

32 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Quinton Johnston and Marvin Harrison Jr sure would look good in a Bills uniform. 

Agree. My draft crush is Johnston even though there is no way he falls to us.  Beane will probably take the third safety off the board anyways. 

• Agree 1

On 12/30/2022 at 5:18 PM, billsfan89 said:

If I were the Bills I would be looking for a high end slot WR. I know a lot of fans want that 1A WR that we wanted Gabe to blossom into but I think this teams dollars are better spent finding a high quality slot WR and developing Shakir and maybe a WR picked in round 3 or 4. Gabe is going to finish the season with between 800-1000 yards and 8-10 TD's in 16 games (was hurt for one game and banged up several others) that's not bad WR2 production and I think given a full year as a WR2 Davis could improve in year 4 and make more of an impact. 

Adding a true high quality slot WR would give Josh that short to mid yard option to break two deep zones down and it would be massively cheaper than finding a dynamic WR on. the outside. You could then add a WR in round 3 for some depth and to develop long term. I would then rather spend the first round pick on the O-line where there is a more glaring need. 

Stefon Diggs would be that high end slot WR.    Think Cooper Kupp.

There aren't the obvious high end do-it-all, have-it-all types at the top of this draft like the last couple drafts...........but there are some big play outside guys and some promising slot receivers.

At this point I expect the big play guys Quentin Johnston of TCU and Jalin Hyatt of Tennessee to go 1&2 unless JSN tests great.

Hyatt is kinda' like a younger, more quality competition tested version of what Christian Watson was last year.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Stefon Diggs would be that high end slot WR.    Think Cooper Kupp.

There aren't the obvious high end do-it-all, have-it-all types at the top of this draft like the last couple drafts...........but there are some big play outside guys and some promising slot receivers.

At this point I expect the big play guys Quentin Johnston of TCU and Jalin Hyatt of Tennessee to go 1&2 unless JSN tests great.

Hyatt is kinda' like a younger, more quality competition tested version of what Christian Watson was last year.

Hyatt compares more favorably to Jameson Williams due to size and speed. 

30 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Hyatt compares more favorably to Jameson Williams due to size and speed. 

From a box score scouting perspective?   Yes.   But different style receiver than Jameson Williams though.   JW has the goods to do everything and showed that last season for Alabama.   Hyatt might......but all he put on tape was a ton of vertical stuff.    

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Agree. My draft crush is Johnston even though there is no way he falls to us.  Beane will probably take the third safety off the board anyways. 

What exactly do you expect him to do whenever he’s going to be picking at the end of the first round

Whenever you are that good, you have to let the draft fall to you and find the hidden gems

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I love Johnston too.  Too bad you have to turn almost every post into a Beane smear.  

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I love Johnston too.  Too bad you have to turn almost every post into a Beane smear.  

I’ve said it time and time again that I love Beane but no one can deny he has a “thing” for defensive players in the first round. Maybe you should make snarky remarks to the tens of other posters in this thread that have bashed Beane instead of singling me out. 

6 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I’ve said it time and time again that I love Beane but no one can deny he has a “thing” for defensive players in the first round. Maybe you should make snarky remarks to the tens of other posters in this thread that have bashed Beane instead of singling me out. 

The tens of other posters 🤣 …..you can’t make this stuff up.  

And btw, I do call several other posters out.  You’re not that special guy.  

“i love Beane but I can’t control my myself.  I.  MUST.  MAKE.  SNARKY.  BEANE.  POSTS.  ON.  THE.  REG.”Holding Back Jim Carrey GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The tens of other posters 🤣 …..you can’t make this stuff up.  

And btw, I do call several other posters out.  You’re not that special guy.  

“i love Beane but I can’t control my myself.  I.  MUST.  MAKE.  SNARKY.  BEANE.  POSTS.  ON.  THE.  REG.”Holding Back Jim Carrey GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

It’s a message board. We are free to say what we want. Does Beane favor the defense early and often?  I’ll wait. 

Dove have issues at WR and oline?  This is something you regularly admit, but you see my name on a post and you can’t control yourself like the gif that you posted. It’s pretty funny. 

5 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

It’s a message board. We are free to say what we want. Does Beane favor the defense early and often?  I’ll wait. 

Dove have issues at WR and oline?  This is something you regularly admit, but you see my name on a post and you can’t control yourself like the gif that you posted. It’s pretty funny. 

lol…..I’m not disputing anything.  I’ve agreed with this notion several times.  

I just find it odd that, in every post I see of yours, you’re criticizing him.  Saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again  The Gm that you love so much…..yet can’t stop won’t stop.  You aren’t the first.  

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

lol…..I’m not disputing anything.  I’ve agreed with this notion several times.  

I just find it odd that, in every post I see of yours, you’re criticizing him.  Saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again  The Gm that you love so much…..yet can’t stop won’t stop.  You aren’t the first.  

My point is this…last year we had the the number one defense in the league and that didn’t stop him from using nearly every resource back into it. It’s paid off. I’m happy about that. Not sure why you see it otherwise. 

This year, we have the second ranked offense, but I think everyone can agree there are clear holes in that ranking. Allen’s unreal abilities mask a lot of the deficiencies and outweigh the negatives. I have a lot of hope that Beane does right by him and uses top picks and whatever money we have left to help out the offense this off-season. If he doesn’t, then I think any all criticism will be warranted. 

Just now, whorlnut said:

My point is this…last year we had the the number one defense in the league and that didn’t stop him from using nearly every resource back into it. It’s paid off. I’m happy about that. Not sure why you see it otherwise. 

This year, we have the second ranked offense, but I think everyone can agree there are clear holes in that ranking. Allen’s unreal abilities mask a lot of the deficiencies and outweigh the negatives. I have a lot of hope that Beane does right by him and uses top picks and whatever money we have left to help out the offense this off-season. If he doesn’t, then I think any all criticism will be warranted. 

Unlike last year, I surmise this view has become the consensus on the board. If Oline and WR are not given priority, most folks will be upset. (All that said, I'm worried they want to go safety in the first.)

12 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

i realize everything that you’re saying….. I’m not arguing with you. You’re just a broken record.  

My point is this…..if you say the same thing in every post people will find you annoying.  When people find you annoying, they will call you out. Don’t be surprised or butt hurt when it happens.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.