2023 Draft- Wide Receiver discussion

NewEra

I'll be honest, if the Wideout being selected isn't believed to be a true #1 where we get into a situation where we have a 1a and 1b, I'd rather them just draft OL and make what we have work.

Having am OL will free up Knox to actually run routes and not block. I think our weapon issue is compounded by the OL, but if they feel the wideout is a sure fire #1 I can understand that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I'll be honest, if the Wideout being selected isn't believed to be a true #1 where we get into a situation where we have a 1a and 1b, I'd rather them just draft OL and make what we have work.

Having am OL will free up Knox to actually run routes and not block. I think our weapon issue is compounded by the OL, but if they feel the wideout is a sure fire #1 I can understand that.

I hear what you are saying but I want us to draft both. If it means trading down to do so, so be it.

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

I hear what you are saying but I want us to draft both. If it means trading down to do so, so be it.

It would be ideal, but drafting another Davis or Shakir doesn’t really help the offense if Allen has no time to get to the 2nd or 3rd read.

A good OL gets him deeper in his reads and gets Knox free to actually be a weapon in the offense. 

2 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

It would be ideal, but drafting another Davis or Shakir doesn’t really help the offense if Allen has no time to get to the 2nd or 3rd read.

A good OL gets him deeper in his reads and gets Knox free to actually be a weapon in the offense. 

I too would make OL the top priority. I have been posting as much for more than 20 years. :) 

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

I too would make OL the top priority. I have been posting as much for more than 20 years. :) 

Knowing you are a huge Bama fan, I am as well, grew up 40 minutes from the stadium. At what round would you consider Gibbs? I think he's a Kamara type guy that could be really good in our offense.

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

Knowing you are a huge Bama fan, I am as well, grew up 40 minutes from the stadium. At what round would you consider Gibbs? I think he's a Kamara type guy that could be really good in our offense.

I like Gibbs but like any other back, he needs blocking. I think that he will be gone by the mid second round because he can also catch. 

What do you think?

5 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Cook is our Kamara type guy.  The only RB I would consider taking early is Robinson and that's if he fell to us.  OL and WR are much bigger needs right now, especially in the early rounds, IMO.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

I like Gibbs but like any other back, he needs blocking. I think that he will be gone by the mid second round because he can also catch. 

What do you think?

I believe you are about right, I could see him go as high as 32 as the first pick of the 2nd but definitely won't be there in the 3rd.

IMO we would have to trade back with our first and take him early second I'd that's the route they wanted to go. 

I'd still go OL though, but I do believe he will be a great playmaker in the league. 

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Cook is our Kamara type guy.  The only RB I would consider taking early is Robinson and that's if he fell to us.  OL and WR are much bigger needs right now, especially in the early rounds, IMO.

Cook isn't bad, but he will never be explosive like Kamara. Doesn't mean he isn't good, just not the same.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I believe you are about right, I could see him go as high as 32 as the first pick of the 2nd but definitely won't be there in the 3rd.

IMO we would have to trade back with our first and take him early second I'd that's the route they wanted to go. 

I'd still go OL though, but I do believe he will be a great playmaker in the league. 

Cook isn't bad, but he will never be explosive like Kamara. Doesn't mean he isn't good, just not the same.

Gibbs and Cook are just too similar, IMO. Robinson on the other hand is that guy that would contrast Cook perfectly. Don't think he's going to make it to the end of the first round, but if he somehow did, I would grab him.

Edited by Billz4ever

8 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Gibbs and Cook are just too similar, IMO. Robinson on the other hand is that guy that would contrast Cook perfectly. Don't think he's going to make it to the end of the first round, but if he somehow did, I would grab him.

Yeah Robinson is definitely a between the tackle guy, only reason I wouldn't take him is I'm not sure our coaches would commit to using him correctly. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just wanted to say "thanks" for starting this thread.  I don't watch the college game, and I've seen a ton of mocks w/ the Bills taking a receiver 1st.  Which I'd be happy with.

Seems like we could get a good one w/ our pick in the 1st, though I hope we trade down.  Still, lots of good info in the OP & on this thread.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

What do you think?

I think he's probably a first rounder and winds up in Dallas if they don't resign or tag Pollard and Bijan is off the board. I think Gibbs is as talented as Robinson but not as desirable because he's 20 LBs lighter. He's the type of player that I'm sure intrigues KC, although they maybe don't need help at that position. To me he's the same type of back as Cook, except faster and 20 LBs heavier.

He has good hands. I like the player enuf to wonder if the Bills could convert him to receiver. 

Edited by starrymessenger

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You know who we could have taken the chance on last year? Christian Watson. 

What is your take on Jalin Hyatt? He's the speed receiver I've fallen in love from this draft. The only knock on him appears to be that he played in a college offense so it's hard to project how well he will translate to the pros. I remember with Watson the fear was somewhat similar in that he played against small school competition.

On 12/29/2022 at 3:31 AM, Ayjent said:

Im not really too high on a lot of the receivers but the kid from Tennessee is good and would be a great fit on the Bills.   I think he's potentially available late first. 

A prospect for much later in the draft or maybe UDFA that was severely underutilized because of poor QB play is Justin Shorter who is from Univ Florida and could potentially play a hybrid TE/WR.  He transferred from Penn St. and was a 5 star recruit out of HS.  A big bodied WR.  He has a ton of really good attributes size, speed, toughness and an intelligent player.  Could potentially be coached up to realize potential which just isnt a hallmark of UF past several years, especially at WR.

He's a long strider who can achieve reasonable speed but he has little explosion or sudden change of direction ability as well as a very limited route tree. Some see him as a priority free agent.

if the Bills are prioritizing O-line early or use 27 for a surprise selection ie. RB, a guy they might consider in Rd 2 or possibly even Rd 3 (depending upon the combine results) is Marvin Mims. He's not big but he plays bigger than his size and has done well playing on the outside last two years. He is absolutely a vertical threat and would be a good choice for WR 2. He's a very good route runner, is a hands catcher, wins contested catches, has a knack for high pointing the ball, is great after the catch.

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What is your take on Jalin Hyatt? He's the speed receiver I've fallen in love from this draft. The only knock on him appears to be that he played in a college offense so it's hard to project how well he will translate to the pros. I remember with Watson the fear was somewhat similar in that he played against small school competition.

Same height as Shakir but 15 pounds lighter.  Had one good year.  When he runs at the combine it will probably make or break him.  Not sure I'd put a guy considerable smaller than Shakir on the outside.  Is anyone other than Hill and Waddle playing outside at 180 pounds.

Edited by Maine-iac

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Last year during the Feliciano/Ford debacle, I posted that Beane's top seven picks should be (in order) guard, guard, guard, guard, guard, guard, and guard. He didn't draft any guards. He might not draft any this year, either. That's fine if he can sign quality veterans. Who did he sign? Saffold, Hart, and Van Roten.

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with much of this - it's a good take. My slight points of disagreement:

1. Hyatt for me could well get to those last 6 or 7 picks of round 1. He is going to be a very scheme specific fit. Not sure he will be for everyone. He could fly and the combine - agreed, and it only take one team to love him - agreed again, and it certainly possible he goes way before the Bills pick. But I think it is possible he is still there. 

2. Quintin Johnson I get lower on every time I put his tape on. The route running is the first thing... that is only average (and I am a sucker for a route runner, I confess... that is my "type"). But the thing that has soured me on him a little is definitely the lack of hands catches. There is a lot of body catching on his take and hence I don't think he uses that prototypical size that you rightly identify he has as effectively as he could. I think that will turn off some teams. Again I think it is feasible he goes later than people expect, but I suppose I still do think he is gone by #27. 

3. I don't think Cedric Tillman has the power of a George Pickens and I'm also not sure he is really 6'3. He looks shorter than that to me. I will be interested to see the measurement. But I see the comparison in that he is a pure downfield, outside receiver. You are not going to ask him to do a lot of short area quickness type stuff you are going to tell him to run down the field, beat his DB and then get his body in position to make a catch. I had a high 2nd on Pickens, I have provisionally a low 2nd on Tillman. 

But as I say, overall, I think much of this post is spot on and reflects what I see when I watch these guys too. It is definitely a weaker WR class than last year. The best grade I have currently (Addison) would make him my WR5 in last year's group. There is no superstar prospect in this class. Doesn't mean there can't be a superstar player to emerge from it though. 

That's totally fair...I am definitely assuming one team will fall for Hyatt in the top 20-25...But you're dead-on concerning him right now...I do think he's got plenty of upside. But as a Rookie he's mostly going to be a stretch the field type. Which is why I love him for the Bills opposite Diggs...He could be a problem. Even lining him up in the slot and attacking deep Safeties...He could destroy teams for paying too much attention to Diggs. That's assuming the Bills can also get a slot to uncover more often. Which I think Shakir can do...

Steve Smith had a similar take on Johnson's body catches. I just look at him as a huge physical problem for NFL Defenses. But no question he's going to have to refine his game. He just starts with more tools. And the team Drafting him will have to understand, like Seattle did with DK, he's not a quick-twitch-get-open WR...The team that Drafts him will have to have a plan. And I also kind of doubt he's a 4.33 like DK...We'll see.

Tillman is a little bit of a wait-and-see for me. He missed so much time in 2022...And he hardly played before 2021. If he tests off the charts then fine. Otherwise, I think he may be too similar to Gabe...

Also...If we're just looking for a down the field speed-type to rotate in this coming year, I think we need to add Tyler Scott to the list...B-)

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

In all honesty, I don't see a 1st rd WR in this draft 

It's pretty slim pickings when you look at it.  There's some good talent and it's plentiful, but would rise to what we've seen in past draft WR grades.

That's why IMO, we either take one of the top OL first round projections if they're still on the board, we take Robinson if he's still there, or else we trade out of the first round to an early second round pick and pick up an additional pick in the process.

We can then grab our WR there or at our normal spot at the end of the 2nd if we can swing that trade out of the first round.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

It's pretty slim pickings when you look at it.  There's some good talent and it's plentiful, but would rise to what we've seen in past draft WR grades.

That's why IMO, we either take one of the top OL first round projections if they're still on the board, we take Robinson if he's still there, or else we trade out of the first round to an early second round pick and pick up an additional pick in the process.

We can then grab our WR there or at our normal spot at the end of the 2nd if we can swing that trade out of the first round.

It will be slim if there is a run before 27 - Johnston, Smith-Ngijba, Addison, Flowers all go ahead of the BIlls. 

Then I think the Bills have to consider Hyatt there, because Hyatt and Downs aren't making it to #59, and at that point you're down to Parker Washington and Tank Dell, who aren't #2 WRs.  

16 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It will be slim if there is a run before 27 - Johnston, Smith-Ngijba, Addison, Flowers all go ahead of the BIlls. 

Then I think the Bills have to consider Hyatt there, because Hyatt and Downs aren't making it to #59, and at that point you're down to Parker Washington and Tank Dell, who aren't #2 WRs.  

I always had my eye on Rice and I think we could get him in the early second if we trade out.  It's all a gamble and there's so many different scenarios.  My main thing is I don't want to see them reach on a player we might have had later anyway.

Edited by Billz4ever

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.