Jerry Sullivan crosses the line. Comments against women.

Draconator

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

I do not understand your rush to defend all manner of idiots who insist on sticking their feet in their mouth.

I think you might have me confused with a different poster.  I don't like Jerry Sullivan and I can't recall defending any other media figure any time recently.  In fairness, maybe I'm just forgetting something.

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I think you might have me confused with a different poster.  I don't like Jerry Sullivan and I can't recall defending any other media figure any time recently.  In fairness, maybe I'm just forgetting something.

Perhaps I have you mistaken with someone else but I thought we just had a similar conversation RE: recent comments by an injured Raven's QB.  At the very least I believe you had similar thoughts about those comments made and whether or not anyone was offended despite evidence in thread that clearly some were offended.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Coldfronts said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  Drop the woke/ cancel crap and move on.  Perfect example the public outrage exceeds the wrong done.

"everyone is entitled to their opinion but stop voicing yours and accept mine"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Terrible choice of words from Sullivan, but it makes me ask his intent. Is he hinting that women are less critical than men? Could have fooled me over the years 😂 

The irrelevant trying to become relevant even if it’s his own funeral. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Perhaps I have you mistaken with someone else but I thought we just had a similar conversation RE: recent comments by an injured Raven's QB.  At the very least I believe you had similar thoughts about those comments made and whether or not anyone was offended despite evidence in thread that clearly some were offended.

Yeah, I had forgotten about that one.  I thought Jackson's comment to that fan was unprofessional (why go after some rando on social media?) but the performative outrage was ridiculous.  I'll grant that this is similar.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Everyone is entitled to consequences for their actions too. Or do you not believe in personal responsibility?

So, who decides what sins deserve canceling and please don't say the community because you can see where the Salem witch trials got us. Thank good for the first amendment and you don't have to watch his stuff ...just don't canceling him over it like a child  throwing a fit

Edited by Coldfronts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

So, who decides what sins deserve canceling and please don't say the community because you can see where the Salem witch trials got us. Thank good for the first amendment and you don't have to watch his stuff just don't canceling him over it

I've had Sullivan "canceled" for years. In that I refused to read his drivel, or even give him a click on his articles. Where you cry "canceling" I just call it exercising my choice as a consumer.

And when his employers realize his statements have hurt their bottom line, they will fire him. That's free market capitalism, baby.

Take your adolescent drama, and crying over fake crap like "woke" and "canceling", back to twitter.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3

Dumb comment.  Sullivan is wrong about what he said.  

Move on.  Shouldn’t erase his career.  Shouldn’t be something everyone cries about for days. 

Equally annoying.. having WGR hosts & some of the Bills podcast guys use this as an opportunity to virtue signal.  

• Like (+1) 2

I’ve been fine with Sully’s schtick in the past. It was a grumpy institution. That said, what an absolute delta bravo. He really stepped in it here, and, while I’m sure it was awkward in the moment, the Trainwreck boys really dropped the ball by not correcting him right away. By doing so, if that wasn’t what Sully meant, it would’ve given him an opportunity to clarify (not sure he was capable of making it better). Instead, they all come across as giant jackasses. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I've had Sullivan "canceled" for years. In that I refused to read his drivel, or even give him a click on his articles. Where you cry "canceling" I just call it exercising my choice as a consumer.

And when his employers realize his statements have hurt their bottom line, they will fire him. That's free market capitalism, baby.

Take your adolescent drama, and crying over fake crap like "woke" and "canceling", back to twitter.

Wow, such tolerance 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I love the inevitability of the first amendment being invoked, as if it’s meant to prevent you from getting fired from your job.

OK so you think that was a offense that he should be fired for.  Who make that decision the small mob of angry villagers or the company controlled by them?  Not much of a choice is there? You only have the illusion of free speech.  I say live and let live...no one is perfect

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You seem an unlikely arbiter of tolerance, considering your position.

Why? I am tolerant of all voices especially the ones I disagree with

Edited by Coldfronts

4 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

OK so you think that was a offense that he should be fired for.  Who make that decision the small mob of angry villagers the company controlled by them?  Not much of a choice is there? You only have the illusion of free speech.  I say live and let live...no one is perfect

OK so you think that was a offense that he should be fired for.   -  Yes.

Who make that decision the small mob of angry villagers the company controlled by them?   -  His employer.  That's how the whole firing thing works.

Not much of a choice is there?  -  He made the choice to represent his employer with his words; his employer now has the choice whether to retain his services.

You only have the illusion of free speech.   -  This is just stupid.

I say live and let live...no one is perfect  -  Nope ... no one is perfect.  And it's okay to hold people accountable.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 7

1 minute ago, Coldfronts said:

OK so you think that was a offense that he should be fired for.  Who make that decision the small mob of angry villagers the company controlled by them?  Not much of a choice is there? You only have the illusion of free speech.  I say live and let live...no one is perfect

His employer will decide if he gets fired.  They can see the reaction to his asinine comments and decide if he is worth keeping.  Based on his approval rating prior to this issue, I don't think he is an essential employee. 

This has absolutely zero to do with "free speech".  why do people that use this as an excuse for ignorant, offensive rhetoric have such a hard time grasping the concept that there are still consequences for things that you say.  Unless the government is going after Jerry, his free speech is still intact. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Pretty sure the other guys were all laughing with Sullivan. Did they condone the comments then, but not now?

If you click the link again check out the guy in the white sweat top. He was bobbin his head up and down which could be seen as he giving some credibility to what he was hearing Sullivan say. acknowledgment at the very least. Tacit approval? Meh prolly not but who knows.  Bad optics though .

Edited by muppy

5 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Good Morning Football played the postgame with Josh where somebody asked a question about the offense and then said “This doesn’t look like a Super Bowl offense.”  Sullivan immediately came to mind.  Whether it was or not, I don’t know.

Yeah, I asked who that was in another thread, the response was "Jerry Sullivan"

The GMFB crew discussed.  The GMFB host with the most actual training as a journalist is apparently Jamie Erhdahl (degree in broadcasting and communications).   She seems to feel that Sullivan doesn't "get" journalism (critical or other) in the sense that the journalist's job in an interview is to - wait for it - ask questions, not state his personal views or beliefs. 

IOW:

"Do you feel this offense is currently performing on the level to win a Super Bowl?"  (wait for response) - critical journalism

"This offense is not performing on the level to win a Super Bowl"  - not journalism, statement of opinion out-of-place in an interview

Just now, muppy said:

If you click the link again check out the guy in the white sweat top. He was bobbin his head up and down which could be seen as he giving some credibility to what he was hearing Sullivan say. acknowledgment at the very least. Tacit approval? Meh prolly not.  Bad optics though .

Yeah, that's what I was getting at.  It was condoned at the time he made those dumb ass, drunken comments, but now they retract with a Twitter post and all is well?  Nahhh. They're as guilty as Sullivan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, muppy said:

If you click the link again check out the guy in the white sweat top. He was bobbin his head up and down which could be seen as he giving some credibility to what he was hearing Sullivan say. acknowledgment at the very least. Tacit approval? Meh prolly not.  Bad optics though .

When someone does the dumb crap like Sully pulled live and in real time, I give most of the people surrounding them the benefit of the doubt. It's tough to react in real time to things. Especially when you are in the middle of work, hosting a talk show, and thinking about how to change topics or the next topic or WTF is this guy saying?!?!?

Sullivan made the statements. That's the extent of it.

It would be different if they piled on with their own dumb stuff, but I dont think they did unless I missed it.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

Too Little - they had a chance to stand-up for women last night - one guy looked upset and said nothing - one guy shook his head in mock agreement.

It was unacceptable!

What irritates me about the entire thing is like we sit here and say “stand up for women!” And we really should. Fully agree with you. But I think I the irritation is how much women need allies….STILL. 

Like we can’t just treat them like human beings, because there’s too many in this world that treat them like a monolithic minority that men need to deal with. It’s dehumanizing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.