2023 Mock Drafts

Milanos Milano

I’m always looking ahead even though the current season is still ongoing. It’s obvious we are super bowl contenders, but with the bye week upon us, there isn’t much to talk about. I hope this draft is purely dedicated to offensive line help. We need good players to be around and build help for Allen for years to come. This is kind of where I’m at for the moment. 

1.  Jarrett Patterson G/C                           I would put him at Center  (has flexibility and has played as a guard and center)

2.  Steve Avila   G/C                                  I would put him at LG         ( has flexibility and has played as a guard and center)

3.  O’Cyrus Torrence   G                           I would put him at RG 

4.  Garrett Williams   CB 

5.  Ronnie Hickman   S 

5.  Tyler Harrell      WR 

6.   Bryce Baringer    P 

7.    Darius Muasau   LB 

The 3 offensive linemen I want are very flexible and are big dudes. We need more talent here for sure. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m always looking ahead even though the current season is still ongoing. It’s obvious we are super bowl contenders, but with the bye week upon us, there isn’t much to talk about. I hope this draft is purely dedicated to offensive line help. We need good players to be around and build help for Allen for years to come. This is kind of where I’m at for the moment. 

1.  Jarrett Patterson G/C                           I would put him at Center  (has flexibility and has played as a guard and center)

2.  Steve Avila   G/C                                  I would put him at LG         ( has flexibility and has played as a guard and center)

5.  Ronnie Hickman   S 

6.   Bryce Baringer    P 

7.    Darius Muasau   LB 

The 3 offensive linemen I want are very flexible and are big dudes. We need more talent here for sure. 

Really……..

• Haha (+1) 1

I used to start thinking about the draft many years during the drought when it was clear we were yet again not making the playoffs.  Now I focus on the upcoming games and playoff positioning. It is a great time to be a Bills fan. 

BTW no issue with you looking ahead. That is your thing and that is cool too.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

5.  Ronnie Hickman   S 

6.   Bryce Baringer    P 

7.    Darius Muasau   LB 

way too to be thinking about this but yes considering the Bills will be drafting late each round go out and get some interior linemen that’s fine.

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

What!!?? No Running back!? Just kidding.😉.

I actually like it when people put names out there. Adding the team would be great as well. Not being a college fan, I may take a few minutes and watch a game or two to see them play over the next few weeks. Thanks.

Bijan Robinson please!!!! 

Closest to a Barry Sanders reincarnation that’s come along in a very long time. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

way too to be thinking about this but yes considering the Bills will be drafting late each round go out and get some interior linemen that’s fine.

Draft season starts the second college football starts. It's never too early to think about anything. Why can't people do multiple things at once? 

• Agree 4

26 minutes ago, DJB said:

Bijan Robinson please!!!! 

Closest to a Barry Sanders reincarnation that’s come along in a very long time. 

I’d be ok with Bijan. I’d much prefer to sure up the o line this year though. There are some very good players this year. We need a major center and guard talent infusion. All 3 guards I listed are very good. 

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Really……..

It’s a bye week. I’m always looking at how we can improve our team. The draft is one way to do that. This is usually when draft talk begins to heat up. I find it pretty relevant discussion seeming how badly we need guards and a new center. 

• Like (+1) 1

No way they take 3 interior OLinemen with their first 3 picks. 

Not when their 2 veteran safeties might both be gone ( we don't know Hyde's prognosis or Poyer's contract status ).

Edmunds might not be re-signed.

Questions about WR depth?

How about a TE?

OT?

What,no running back? Maybe a big back to pair with Cook?

1 minute ago, Herb Nightly said:

No way they take 3 interior OLinemen with their first 3 picks. 

Not when their 2 veteran safeties might both be gone ( we don't know Hyde's prognosis or Poyer's contract status ).

Edmunds might not be re-signed.

Questions about WR depth?

How about a TE?

OT?

What,no running back? Maybe a big back to pair with Cook?

It starts in the trenches. We have to get back to the basics, otherwise Allen will eventually go into the trash heap. We can’t be constantly relying on Allen to play hero ball. I don’t mind Allen hurdling and making plays, but he shouldn’t have to if he’s protected properly. It would also improve the running game by default. I’m ok running with Hamlin and whoever signs at safety. Draft one late seeming how we always manage to draft well at defensive backs. 

3 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

What!!?? No Running back!? Just kidding.😉.

I actually like it when people put names out there. Adding the team would be great as well. Not being a college fan, I may take a few minutes and watch a game or two to see them play over the next few weeks. Thanks.

If do decide to go the RB route, hopefully it’s Bijan. 

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

5.  Ronnie Hickman   S 

6.   Bryce Baringer    P 

7.    Darius Muasau   LB 

Wouldn't mind one of the top two or three picks being OL, or maybe even two out of the top four or five.

Odds of #1 and #2 being OLs would I'd guess be somewhere around 100:1. Higher, maybe.

Never too early to talk draft, though I don't put much attention there this early.

Edited by Thurman#1

I love this sort of thing while the college season's actually in full swing, so I can actually see a player in action. With that said, if people want to post their lists, adding the College after the players name would be super helpful. (I have no idea where these offensive linemen play.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I love this sort of thing while the college season's actually in full swing, so I can actually see a player in action. With that said, if people want to post their lists, adding the College after the players name would be super helpful. (I have no idea where these offensive linemen play.)

Sorry, will update.  Notre Dame,  TCU, Florida. 

45 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It starts in the trenches. We have to get back to the basics, otherwise Allen will eventually go into the trash heap. We can’t be constantly relying on Allen to play hero ball. I don’t mind Allen hurdling and making plays, but he shouldn’t have to if he’s protected properly. It would also improve the running game by default. I’m ok running with Hamlin and whoever signs at safety. Draft one late seeming how we always manage to draft well at defensive backs. 

If do decide to go the RB route, hopefully it’s Bijan. 

Thanks. I'll check him out.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Wouldn't mind one of the top two or three picks being OL, or maybe even two out of the top four or five.

Odds of #1 and #2 being OLs would I'd guess be somewhere around 100:1. Higher, maybe.

Never too early to talk draft, though I don't put much attention there this early.

With Singletary being a free agent, I’m not sure if we will re-sign him or not. How much Cook takes over is anyones guess. I doubt they draft another RB, but who knows. But Bijan is the real deal. A great shifty runner. 

Our 1st pick absolutely has to be IOL, and a pick in the 30s is a prime spot for that. We have needs at both OG spots, and 2023 could be Morse's last year. I doubt we take OL in each of the first 3 rounds, but I bet we take 2 in the first 4 rounds.

I think we're set at CB & DL for a change, unless we lose Oliver or Dane.

• Disagree 2

Saw one that had us going:

Gervon Dexter DT RD1

Safety from Kansas in RD2

Garrett Williams, CB from Cuse in Rd3

IOL in RD4 and RD5

I honestly don't hate it.  Having a dominant DL seems critical to winning Championships.  If they want to draft RD1 DL every year, I'd be ok with that.  We also have Jordan Phillips as a FA after the year and I'm not totally sure we are definitely going to extend Ed Oliver beyond next year if he doesn't figure out how to be a noticeable difference maker.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 947 said:

Our 1st pick absolutely has to be IOL, and a pick in the 30s is a prime spot for that. We have needs at both OG spots, and 2023 could be Morse's last year. I doubt we take OL in each of the first 3 rounds, but I bet we take 2 in the first 4 rounds.

Oline has been neglected for years. Ford was a bust. Allen has masked all the inefficiencies on the line by being a magician. But we can’t keep relying on that, we have to protect him at all costs. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

5.  Ronnie Hickman   S 

6.   Bryce Baringer    P 

7.    Darius Muasau   LB 

Never too soon to talk draft! 👍👍

So much depends on what they decide to do with Edmunds. No chance Bernard steps in as an effective starter next season (he remains a truly bizarre pick).

For now, I’ll go:

1 - OL/S

2 - S/OL

3 - OL

4 - DT

5- LB/TE

5 - TE/LB

6 - RB

7 - 🤷‍♂️

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

Hard to determine needs pre-FA

RB - Moss and Cook are it for 2023.  We've spent multiple 3rds and 2nds on the position and its still not a strength.  I could see singletary coming back - There are a LOT of free agent running backs next year and he might not get much in the way of big offers.  

WR - same depth chart we have now, gabe davis 1 year from testing free agency.

TE - Could see a late round flier here, but i expect a low priced vet.

OL - Lots to do here.  We need a starting guard (possibly 2, or at least another player to push bates), and i'd honestly consider using a 1st on a tackle.  Brown has come along a bit but he should in no way be given a starting spot.  I expect the same kind of free agent strategy here, but i'd also like to see them bring in a few younger players with higher picks.

DL - Phillips and Lawson are UFAs.  I could see both being brought back.

LB - I think Bernard/Spector take the matakevich spot.  Edmunds is a question mark - do they think bernard or dodson can take the spot? remains to be seen.

DBs - Poyer is the main question mark.  Hyde is under contract but also not a certainty.  Could be a day 2 or even day 1 target.  White, Elam, Jackson, Benford is probably one too many

If i had to pick i'd say (obviously value dependent)

1st round - Tackle

2nd round - Safety

3rd round - Guard

4th round - Linebacker

5th round - Guard

6th round - Safety/Cornerback 

7 hours ago, 947 said:

BPA at a premium position.  Preferably Wr, OT or DE. 

2 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Never too soon to talk draft! 👍👍

So much depends on what they decide to do with Edmunds. No chance Bernard steps in as an effective starter next season (he remains a truly bizarre pick).

For now, I’ll go:

1 - OL/S

2 - S/OL

3 - OL

4 - DT

5- LB/TE

5 - TE/LB

6 - RB

7 - 🤷‍♂️

This is exactly what we shouldn’t do. Worst list I’ve seen.  Ever

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

BPA at a premium position.  Preferably Wr, OT or DE. 

This is exactly what we shouldn’t do. Worst list I’ve seen.  Ever

Hopefully we take Oline, Oline, and more Oline. I want to impose our will in all phases. I want to keep Allen in the pocket with a ton of time. I want Allen healthy for years to come. 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Hopefully we take Oline, Oline, and more Oline. I want to impose our will in all phases. I want to keep Allen in the pocket with a ton of time. I want Allen healthy for years to come. 

We can do that without drafting OL, OL and more OL

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Not with Davis money, Poyer/Edmunds money and a handful of others coming up.  I have a feeling Beane is going to hit the draft hard on Oline this year to keep a cohesive cheap unit around for a few years. 

We don’t need 3 new starters in order to have a good OL.  Drafting OL in round 1-2-3 would be a mistake.  Luckily- Beane knows this. 

15 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It starts in the trenches.

I mean......it USED to start in the trenches.

Now it undeniably starts at QB...........and if you can put a very good OL around him that's great because there basically aren't any..........and as most NFL OL coaches will tell you that is because the vast majority of young offensive lineman are a big detriment to the team until their 3rd or 4th season under the current system.

The transition for most is very difficult.   Just throwing picks at it doesn't make it fixed.......see Ford, Cody.

It's one thing to select a very athletic LT prospect early.........that's a premium/island position that draws the kind of athletes that otherwise play the DL.   But to be an early round interior lineman you need to be a freak of nature to justify it.   

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

We don’t need 3 new starters in order to have a good OL.  Drafting OL in round 1-2-3 would be a mistake.  Luckily- Beane knows this. 

We are definitely drafting a center. Morse cap hit is 11 million but only a dead cap hit of  2.5 million in 2024. Going to have to groom a cheap replacement. We are likely taking a guard, as patch work players like Saffold are not the answer to good line play. I would not be shocked at all to see a C and OG taken within the first 3 picks. 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I mean......it USED to start in the trenches.

Now it undeniably starts at QB...........and if you can put a very good OL around him that's great because there basically aren't any..........and as most NFL OL coaches will tell you that is because the vast majority of young offensive lineman are a big detriment to the team until their 3rd or 4th season under the current system.

The transition for most is very difficult.   Just throwing picks at it doesn't make it fixed.......see Ford, Cody.

It's one thing to select a very athletic LT prospect early.........that's a premium/island position that draws the kind of athletes that otherwise play the DL.   But to be an early round interior lineman you need to be a freak of nature to justify it.   

We are going to have no choice but to draft a bunch of linemen. That is if we expect to pay Davis, Edmunds/Poyer. There won’t be enough money to go around to pay for decent guards through FA. 

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We are definitely drafting a center. Morse cap hit is 11 million but only a dead cap hit of  2.5 million in 2024. Going to have to groom a cheap replacement. We are likely taking a guard, as patch work players like Saffold are not the answer to good line play. I would not be shocked at all to see a C and OG taken within the first 3 picks. 

We are going to have no choice but to draft a bunch of linemen. That is if we expect to pay Davis, Edmunds/Poyer. There won’t be enough money to go around to pay for decent guards through FA. 

You also promised us that Breece Hall was going to be our1st rd pickI wouldn’t be shocked to see us draft a WR and a pass rusher with our first 2 picks. 

if we draft 1 OL in the first 2 rounds, I’ll be happy.  I just think you’re going overboard with OL, OL then OL.  That would lead to a bare cupboard at more expensive positions in a couple years.  

Our Championship window will likely never be greater than with Von  Miller playing at an elite level.  Putting 2-3 rookies starting in front of 17 in 2023 would be asinine imo.  Just because an OL is drafted between pick 30 and 90 doesn’t mean they’ll step in and play well.  They could be Cody ford.  Or Spencer brown.  Or Tommy Doyle (round 4). 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

They will have a choice.

The key is keeping premium positions stocked.........that's where the cap dollars vanish quickly..........the most likely place to find premium position talent is the early rounds.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’d be ok with Bijan. I’d much prefer to sure up the o line this year though. There are some very good players this year. We need a major center and guard talent infusion. All 3 guards I listed are very good. 

It’s a bye week. I’m always looking at how we can improve our team. The draft is one way to do that. This is usually when draft talk begins to heat up. I find it pretty relevant discussion seeming how badly we need guards and a new center. 

OK I’ll bite explain where we need a new center

We are going to either need to look to linebacker or safety with that first pic the problem that we’re going to start running into us we’re not gonna be able to sign all of our premium players and they’re going to hit free agency they’re gonna have to make a decision on Edmunds

Thankfully for us a couple of things

With the hits on both of Elam N Binford and with white returning we won’t have to use high picks on secondary

Bean knows how to draft He’s second for a third round pick or both could be used on offense of line

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.