Hot take: Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward

Logic

Did you actually call your own take a "hot take"? Both Mackenzie and Shakir should see plenty of time on the field over the rest of this year. Shakir is someone I am high on but Mackenzie was the best reciever last year vs Patriots in Foxboro. I don't care who starts as long as both get on field.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think it is that hot of a take. He was always going to take this job at some point. I'd still have a package of man beaters for Isaiah McKenzie, especially in the redzone on those little rub routes, but I think the rotation should be balanced towards Shakir as we move forward.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Don't know what it is about the kid. He's so fluid, like water. His ability to get by initial contact from defenders directly in front of him is impressive. Also, he has an uncanny ability to always find the soft spots in coverage. I see him splitting time with McKenzie before eventually taking over the slot. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Both McKenzie and Shakir will get snaps moving forward.  Shakir can play outside also.  He should be the clear WR 4 without a doubt.  McKenzie is still a very good WR/returner.

This is what separates him from McKenzie. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think it is that hot of a take. He was always going to take this job at some point. I'd still have a package of man beaters for Isaiah McKenzie, especially in the redzone on those little rub routes, but I think the rotation should be balanced towards Shakir as we move forward.

This feels a lil dirty with all these man beaters and rub routes...😄

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I referenced his speed in another post. I didn't get to watch the game but kept watching that highlight of Shakir tight roping the sideline. He looked like a blur once he took off, I mean close to Tyreek Hill speed, at least to me. This guy is just gonna get better. I can see Moss being a healthy scratch quite a bit this season if he's not traded by the deadline

47 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think it's a hot take.  Crowder is going to be out for awhile and he give you more playmaking after the catch.  

McKenzie and Shakir inside will give teams problems.

Once Lil Dirty returns he'll probably see a slight down tick in targets that will now justifiably go to Shakir. This kid is good and will soon replace what Beasley did. I'd also like to see Hodgins get a few more opportunities. 

50 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think it's a hot take.  Crowder is going to be out for awhile and he give you more playmaking after the catch.  

McKenzie and Shakir inside will give teams problems.

Crowder has a broken ankle.  He is going to be out a long time.  Maybe the season.  So, McKenzie splitting time at slot makes a lot of sense.

45 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Why can’t they both play?  They have different skill sets that just makes our offense even more dynamic.  Why is it always one or the other?

They both CAN play.

But if it's a gotta-have-it down or a key drive and you're coming out in 11 personnel and you're saying "who are my top three receivers?", I think that more often than not, the answer should be Diggs, Davis, and Shakir. 

As others have pointed out, it will probably continue to depend on matchups, as it always has. McKenzie can beat man coverage with great effectiveness.

But again -- when push comes to shove and we need a big play, I want Shakir on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

He has such a burst when he accelerates.  We don't really have anyone else like that - I think scouts call that quickness on the field, as opposed to outright speed.  He's really fun to watch.

And pretty clearly at this point a great draft pick. It says a lot about the depth we have and how good of a job Beane has done that we needed to have a few injuries for a player so talented to get a chance.  

But I'd agree w/ the OP, and I'd be surprised if the Bills coaches didn't also.  He should be a regular.

this is not a "hot take."!  I agree he should be the slot going forward.  He seems tough and makes contested catches, etc.  

I'd like to see Digs, Davis, McKenzie and Shakir out there in 4 wide.  Good luck defense.  Singletary/Cook in backfield.  IS it a run>?  If not, how do you cover all those guys?  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.