Trade Deadline (Nov 1) Bills Rumors / Speculation

Warriorspikes51

On 10/9/2022 at 3:09 PM, PayDaBill$ said:

I’m still trying to figure out why the Giants would trade SB…🧐

Im not saying we are trading for him, but Giants could easily still trade SB and honestly should.

This is year 1 of the rebuild, and they need to shed cap.  This is no different than the first year we made the playoffs with Tyrod with McD and Beane.  They know that Daniel Jones is NOT the QB to build that team around.  They are winning some games and are scrappy, but they know a major rebuild and house cleaning is coming.  

Saquan is a free agent after this season.  So they don't need to trade him to get rid of salary, BUT...he is literally their most valuable asset.  And there is little chance that they are going to pay Saquan the kind of money he is likely to see as a FA this offseason at the beginning of a rebuild and chew a bunch of cap up for a RB.  And even if they were, Saquan is in the prime of his career...would he even want to sign on for a rebuild that could take a few years to contend if he has contract offers from teams in better position to win?  

So...you have 2 choices if you are NY.  Ride this out with Saquan and lose him for nothing, but hopefully keep winning some games to begin a culture shift that pays off later.  Or B, trade Saquan at the peak of his value and get an asset(s) back that can help you rebuild this team moving forward.  

Just like Carolina with CMC...Barkleys greatest value to the team likely is off the field in their ability to flip him for a valuable asset(s) to rebuild that team.  Teams shedding cap space in the early part of a rebuild don't generally start out by giving a mid twenties RB a big contract, and in the prime of his career he probably doesn't want to stay in NY for a full rebuild.  So odds are very low Saquan reups with the Giants next year.

4 hours ago, Billznut said:

How exactly is CMC a rental with three years left on his deal after this year?

4 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

You can cut him for 0 dead money.  

4 hours ago, Billznut said:

The Bills aren’t going to trade draft capital to obtain CMC and then cut him after the season. 

Billznut: see Bleeding Bills Blue for my response and that's why prefaced it with, I don't think Beane is making a trade for CMC at a substantial cost because that just isn't what he does...I went on to say that if we look at his history he's only done that with Diggs when Diggs is in his prime, for a contract already done and has a clean injury history. As I said, the ONLY RB that has that resume is Taylor from Indy. And, given what the Colts are doing, I don't think that's a name the Colts even think about, but....their Offense is putrid and *maybe* the Colts think Moss and a 1st for Taylor because clearly they'll need a QB for the future. But since that's highly unlikely I believe IF Beane is going in a RB direction for a trade, it's somebody like Jacobs who is on the last year of his contract, still young and healthy and would complement Cook regarding style and probably doesn't go for anything higher than a 3rd anyways due to the aforementioned contract issue.

Would love a decent guard and though it may inspire derision here, a back who's carrying 220-plus pounds with good vision and decent burst for short yardage situations (for a low-round pick). For years I"ve heard Moss is a good short-yardage back but he's only 205 pounds. He ain't no thunder to any lightning. Maybe some audible intestinal discomfort but not thunder.

Are we the only team in the league with our top three backs all 205 or less?

I"m not talking a track star but a guy who can move bodies. 220 pounds plus. I don't see that happening but I would like it. Add a guard who can move bodies and I'd love it.

Edited by Nephilim17

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not saying we are trading for him, but Giants could easily still trade SB and honestly should.

This is year 1 of the rebuild, and they need to shed cap.  This is no different than the first year we made the playoffs with Tyrod with McD and Beane.  They know that Daniel Jones is NOT the QB to build that team around.  They are winning some games and are scrappy, but they know a major rebuild and house cleaning is coming.  

Saquan is a free agent after this season.  So they don't need to trade him to get rid of salary, BUT...he is literally their most valuable asset.  And there is little chance that they are going to pay Saquan the kind of money he is likely to see as a FA this offseason at the beginning of a rebuild and chew a bunch of cap up for a RB.  And even if they were, Saquan is in the prime of his career...would he even want to sign on for a rebuild that could take a few years to contend if he has contract offers from teams in better position to win?  

So...you have 2 choices if you are NY.  Ride this out with Saquan and lose him for nothing, but hopefully keep winning some games to begin a culture shift that pays off later.  Or B, trade Saquan at the peak of his value and get an asset(s) back that can help you rebuild this team moving forward.  

Just like Carolina with CMC...Barkleys greatest value to the team likely is off the field in their ability to flip him for a valuable asset(s) to rebuild that team.  Teams shedding cap space in the early part of a rebuild don't generally start out by giving a mid twenties RB a big contract, and in the prime of his career he probably doesn't want to stay in NY for a full rebuild.  So odds are very low Saquan reups with the Giants next year.

I think it's too late now for the Gmen, Imo, a trade now loses the locker room/alot of credibility that Daboll and Schoen quickly built.  I get the 1st year of rebuild and SB's likely gonna leave after this season, but they are playing too well now/he's too much of that teams offense and leadership presence.

I do think he'll get them a potential 3rd round comp pick...better than nothing, and worth riding out this momentum that they have.  Next year will be their true rebuild, similar to what we did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't disagree with your logic. However, the Giants are 4-1 and Barkley is the major reason why. I think it's safe to say the players think they can make the playoffs. The fan base is so happy. Daboll has built a winning culture there sort of speak. Cutting Barkley loose at this point would send a horrific message to the players and it's fan base. I don't see it happening. Carolina with CMC is a more viable move. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I think it's too late now for the Gmen, Imo, a trade now loses the locker room/alot of credibility that Daboll and Schoen quickly built.  I get the 1st year of rebuild and SB's likely gonna leave after this season, but they are playing too well now/he's too much of that teams offense and leadership presence.

I do think he'll get them a potential 3rd round comp pick...better than nothing, and worth riding out this momentum that they have.  Next year will be their true rebuild, similar to what we did.

35 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't disagree with your logic. However, the Giants are 4-1 and Barkley is the major reason why. I think it's safe to say the players think they can make the playoffs. The fan base is so happy. Daboll has built a winning culture there sort of speak. Cutting Barkley loose at this point would send a horrific message to the players and it's fan base. I don't see it happening. Carolina with CMC is a more viable move. 

I agree with you guys that it would be tough to make the move now with those circumstances.  But if they lose a couple games, which they easily could before the trade deadline, then I think it opens up the possibility again.  

But like you, I don’t expect them to move him.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agree with most of this but I don't think the Giants should trade Saquon unless they lose their next 3 and are 4-4 at the deadline. If they are still above .500, even 5-3, with games against Houston, Detroit, and the Commanders x2 to come there is a real route for them to be at least a 9 win team and the instant credibility that gives Schoen and Daboll in the building is worth more than a day 2 draft pick that they'd get for Saquon. The message they send by trading him to a team that is fighting their asses off is "we don't believe in you" and I don't think you can do that. If they had traded him before the season as Beane did with Sammy that is different. 

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I love how every trade proposal sends Zach Moss away like he is some hot commodity 

Im sure there is a team out there that would take Moss if we gave them like a 6th round pick.

If the Giants didnt start out 4-1 they might have traded Saquon.  I don't see that happening with the start they have had and Saquon being a big reason they have had that start.  Thats how you lose a locker room and fan base.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.