Week 5: Steelers at Bills 10/9 1pm

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

They’re signing you. How’s your 40 time?

Kinda crazy...Bills cut two players who made key plays in the Baltimore game...

First Prince Emili early in the week who had the tip leading to Poyer's first INT 

Now they cut Bryant who basically prevented a Baltimore TD on 2nd and goal by taking on 3 blockers allowing Milano to make the tackle for a 3 yard loss...

Must have really been a numbers crunch.

3 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

So no Edmunds then with the Harris elevation? Or maybe truly a game time decision. 

Yeah likely he is out

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

All the moves make sense.  Joe Gilles-Harris is a good ST player.

Thanks for your contributions to the team Brandin Bryant.  I hope you are back full-time next year taking over for Phillips.

• Agree 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

All the moves make sense.  Joe Gilles-Harris is a good ST player.

Thanks for your contributions to the team Brandin Bryant.  I hope you are back full-time next year taking over for Phillips.

He is going to the PS if nobody claims him but I would bet someone does.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

So Hodgins is clearly Crowder's replacement on the 53 man roster.

The Bills have elevated PS members but not had them active on game day before, but the thinking is usually that they won't make elevations unless they intend to have them active. 

So elevating a WR and a LB could mean that McKenzie and Edmunds are ruled out, but it could also mean they are both game-day or game-time decisions.

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Kinda crazy...Bills cut two players who made key plays in the Baltimore game...

First Prince Emili early in the week who had the tip leading to Poyer's first INT 

Now they cut Bryant who basically prevented a Baltimore TD on 2nd and goal by taking on 3 blockers allowing Milano to make the tackle for a 3 yard loss...

Must have really been a numbers crunch.

I think the "crunch" is that Oliver and Phillips are ready so the Bills are no longer carrying 2 DTs who can't play on the 53 man roster.

But, they are currently carrying 2 DBs who can't play on the 53 man roster with Benford and Poyer, so even with signing Ingram I'm not sure they have the 8 healthy DBs they prefer for the gameday roster - EDIT: yeah, I counted, we only have 7 healthy DBs.  Yikes.  I hope McKenzie can go because they might need him as an "emergency DB".

Edited by Beck Water

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So Hodgins is clearly Crowder's replacement on the 53 man roster.

The Bills have elevated PS members but not had them active on game day before, but the thinking is usually that they won't make elevations unless they intend to have them active. 

So elevating a WR and a LB could mean that McKenzie and Edmunds are ruled out, but it could also mean they are both game-day or game-time decisions.

I think the "crunch" is that Oliver and Phillips are ready so the Bills are no longer carrying 2 DTs who can't play on the 53 man roster.

But, they are currently carrying 2 DBs who can't play on the 53 man roster with Benford and Poyer, so even with signing Ingram I'm not sure they have the 8 healthy DBs they prefer for the gameday roster.

True enough...maybe they are unsure with McKenzie and elevated someone just in case. They could have only elevated one WR and not have an inactive WR like they did with Shakir earlier in the year when they had numbers.

I'm excited to see Shakir...I think this kid could be really really good. He has deep speed too at 4.42

Just now, Big Turk said:

True enough...maybe they are unsure with McKenzie and elevated someone just in case. They could have only elevated one WR and not have an inactive WR like they did with Shakir earlier in the year when they had numbers.

I'm excited to see Shakir...I think this kid could be really really good. He has deep speed too at 4.42

Does anyone remember if Hodgins and Gentry played much ST in the preseason?

I seem to remember Hodgins getting some plays there in preseason and it not being pretty.

I don't remember Gentry playing ST at all

I wonder if we'll see more base D tomorrow, except, the Steelers don't seem to have much of a run game.

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

They usually have 5 WRs active on game day.  Hodgins is the 5th, replacing Crowder.  Gentry up from PS could be just in case McKenzie can't go. 

Edited by jkeerie

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Does anyone remember if Hodgins and Gentry played much ST in the preseason?

I seem to remember Hodgins getting some plays there in preseason and it not being pretty.

I don't remember Gentry playing ST at all

I wonder if we'll see more base D tomorrow, except, the Steelers don't seem to have much of a run game.

Giles-Harris is a ST player so he may be taking Kumerow's spot in that

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

They usually have 5 WRs active on game day.  Hodgins is the 5th, replacing Crowder.  Gentry up from PS could be just in case McKenzie can't go. 

[Teryl Austin, Brian Flores, and Mike Tomlin searching for film of Gentry, just in case]

[I'll help them.  I'm so kind!]

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/tanner-gentry-makes-athletic-diving-catch-2021-bills-camp-highlight

and of course my personal fav (this play look familiar to anyone?)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm thinking he may not make it through waivers this time.  He's getting some good film on record.

To be sure I hope he clears and goes back to the PS!

someone reviewing that play said something about "he may not have played well all game but he made a great play there" - IDK

I haven't been watching as much all-22 as in the past.

I agree with you though

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Maybe, but Bryant > Ankou.

That, too

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

After the dust settles with all these moves and filling up the PS, Beane will be down to $1M or a little less in cap.

If guys don't start coming off IR soon, he may need a restructure just to get by on cash.

He just messaged me and asked to borrow 20 bucks

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

After the dust settles with all these moves and filling up the PS, Beane will be down to $1M or a little less in cap.

If guys don't start coming off IR soon, he may need a restructure just to get by on cash.

Yep it is getting thinner.

Do you have any idea how does it work with Andre Smith suspension? He is sort of a wild card for me since he is blocking $906k from the cap space.

Do you know what happens if his suspension ends and we release him? How much dead cap will it leave?

I guess if we sign him to roster he just moves his current cap hit to actual roster (so we save a lot by cutting somebody else).

But either way, he should free us some cap space soon.

Edited by No_Matter_What

Signing Hodgins to the active roster is a break glass in case of emergency kind of situation. Whether it be through trade or taking a flier on one of the available veteran FAs they need to get someone else on the roster, at least until Kumerow's ankle heals.

Edited by HappyDays

23 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I can only imagine what the Pittsburgh defensive game plan will be such a mystery 🤔

Little details are causing the majority of the issues. Once they clean these up it can be effective and people will wonder how they did it...could happen any week, it's simply getting comfortable with knowing the blocking rules for various situations...

They won't be great but they will be effective 

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yep it is getting thinner.

Do you have any idea how does it work with Andre Smith suspension? He is sort of a wild card for me since he is blockink $906k from the cap space.

Do you know what happens if his suspension ends and we release him? How much dead cap will it leave?

I guess if we sign him to roster he just moves his current cap hit to actual roster (so we save a lot by cutting somebody else).

But either way, he should free us some cap space soon.

An outright cut of Smith should open up $700k+.  The thing is I'm not sure if Beane wants to do that.

I kind of thought that Smith (who's good at ST) can take Matakevich's spot next season for much less.

Moving Smith to the 53 no doubt means Spector is cut, but Spector is getting a lot of ST snaps.

Not sure which route Beane will take.  But yes, both free up money that Beane needs.

34 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I can only imagine what the Pittsburgh defensive game plan will be such a mystery 🤔

This is consistent with my observation that every team in the league seems to have more effective running backs than the Bills. 

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

An outright cut of Smith should open up $700k+.  The thing is I'm not sure if Beane wants to do that.

I kind of thought that Smith (who's good at ST) can take Matakevich's spot next season for much less.

Moving Smith to the 53 no doubt means Spector is cut, but Spector is getting a lot of ST snaps.

Not sure which route Beane will take.  But yes, both free up money that Beane needs.

Agreed. It's probably either Spector or Smith, and they kept Smith to see what they have in Spector to decide later.

When you say $700k savings is cut does it mean that he will leave us with roughly $200k dead cap if cut? I googled briefly about suspensions but didn't find it.

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

Agreed. It's probably either Spector or Smith, and they kept Smith to see what they have in Spector to decide later.

When you say $700k savings is cut does it mean that he will leave us with roughly $200k dead cap if cut? I googled briefly about suspensions but didn't find it.

That is what I see in Spotrac.  

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This is consistent with my observation that every team in the league seems to have more effective running backs than the Bills. 

I hope you just miswrote that. Please tell me you realize that the problem with the running game is the awful offensive line and not the running backs. If you don't, well, you must be a casual fan. Nothing wrong with that. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Don't toy with me.  I need to see the full power of our front 4 again.....

I'm worried that Bryant will be signed off the practice squad. He's a starting-quality player. 

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

You're seeing black and yellow and making assumptions based upon the past. I've watched almost every minute of every Steelers' game this year because they have been on local Cincinnati TV. They look like a different team without Watt. They sacked Zach Wilson once and didn't sack Mac Jones at all.  They have 10 sacks on the year; 7 of them came in week 1 against the Bengals when TJ Watt was in the game. Every team that they have played has run on them. Their secondary is not good except for Fitzpatrick. The steelers are ranked 21 in the NFL as a passing defense, giving up 252.5 yards per game and they've played a rusty Joe Burrow, Jacoby Brissett, Mac Jones and Zach Wilson. Success is not guaranteed of course because it's the NFL, but there is nothing in the stats or from the eyeball test that says that the Steelers D will dominate our OL. We should put up a lot of points.

Get out of here with your facts and logic!  The Steelers are poised for a massive upset and Picket is the second coming.  Have you not been reading this thread?

3 minutes ago, finn said:

I hope you just miswrote that. Please tell me you realize that the problem with the running game is the awful offensive line and not the running backs. If you don't, well, you must be a casual fan. Nothing wrong with that. 

I'm worried that Bryant will be signed off the practice squad. He's a starting-quality player. 

There’s lots of quality starting players on practice squads.  It’s a risk for sure but nothing to get bent out of shape about.  Odds are he won’t be claimed 

6 minutes ago, finn said:

Reading comprehension is a critical skill.  I said Our RB's are not effective. I did not say the did not have talent.  Your own post critiicizing me offers a possible explanation for why they are ineffective. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.