Week 5: Steelers at Bills 10/9 1pm

YoloinOhio

Here’s the stats on the Bills Vikings game that everyone keeps referencing: https://www.nfl.com/games/bills-at-vikings-2018-reg-3

Chris Ivory was the leading rusher and receiver. The Vikings gifted us 10 points with turnovers deep in their own end. The Bills benefited from two HUGE penalties in their opening TD drive. Everyone remembers Josh jumping over Barr, but Milano had a monster game. The Bills D won that game. 

Edited by FrenchConnection

57 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I suggest you take a look at the tape. This is where stats are very deceiving. The 1st int wasn't Pickett's fault. Yes, the 2nd one is on him as he threw inaccurately as he was backing up. The 3rd one was a hail mary. 

In short, in the sample of a half Pickett showed a lot of promise. He was willing to " rip it" and " wing it" unlike Mitch. He also ran in 2 tds which was impressive. 

This is a very tough ask for Pickett. Making his first NFL start in Buffalo vs a very good defense. Buffalo's track record vs rookie Qbs is very good too. The Steelers oline is very good and Harris is not a game breaker. He's more of a smasher and a grinder. The Bills run D should play well. I think we will see a Steeler offense that will throw it a little bit more downfield. Take chances because truthfully they have nothing to lose. 

Conversely, I think the Bills try to establish the run and feed Singletary. Take some shots down field with Diggs. Shakir should have a few more opportunities as well. It's key the Bills offense comes out sharp and doesn't turn over the ball. In the past, Tomlin has had great game plans against Allen. However, with no Watt and a banged up secondary makes the Steelers more vulnerable and beatable. 

Steelers will show up, be ready, excited about Pickett. The Bills are at home with the superior team. 

Bills 31

Pitt 20

In fairness to Mitch, when he did let a throw rip, the receiver ended up out of bounds.

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Is the shout box covering like half the forum for anyone else?  For me all the text is bleeding down into the thread titles.  Makes it a pain for me to read anything.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Same here. 

click on the options and pick "leave room" to close the shoutbox.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JDHillFan said:

Congrats on being the first person alive to say this. 

When your qb is responsible for 100 percent of your offensive touchdowns he won’t be the only one and he isn’t 

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

JMO, but Greg Cosell and Colin Cowherd don't belong in the same sentence unless that sentence is:

"Cowherd is an entertainer who has a job talking about football, about which he knows a little.  Greg Cosell is a serious football film nerd consulted by coaches and GMs, who has been so well known for it that they pull him out of his film room and make him talk to people.

They just can’t run the ball and the evidence is overwhelming. Check the runblock win rate statistics for the oline and get back to me

22 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

strange.  Worked for me.

Either it got fixed or leaving the site and coming back worked for me after doing that.

10 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Click on the down arrow to the right.  That's what I did and it closed the box.

That wasnt doing anything for me either.  Its fixed now anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

Watched the Ravens game again last night.  Really excited about Shakir.  He only made a couple of plays, but they were both really key plays & he showed a lot of skill w/ each - both in getting open, and making great moves once he had the ball.  

And man, did we get a little lucky on that Poyer INT in the EZ.  The receiver was so wide open - but our pass rush kept Jackson from putting enough on the ball, so it floated and gave Poyer time to get there.

Actually, that isn't lucky. Our pass rush forced the bad throw. We're great.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

An Edmunds-free Sunday 

What? I haven't seen the final in jury report....other than Terrell.

Anywho, my 2 bits... I'm still worried about the Pitt. Dline. They are gonna spell trouble. Probably no standard run game for us.

Gilliam is gonna have to be in to protect and he better be able to do it. A lot of people dissing the lack of Knox grabs, but does anyone notice him lining up behind the guard all the time and giving us pass pro that wouldn't exist otherwise? We're gonna notice it tomorrow.

This game may end up being another discussion about half time adjustments. Hoping for a breakout game from Shakir and Cook. I think we can kill it with screens and YAC with Diggs being Diggs

I can't go the 14 though. 31-20

• Like (+1) 1

Second of 4 AFC North games for me.  Was in B’more last Sunday. Made the drive north for Pittsburgh.  Still to come Cleveland and @Cincy.  Weather looking fine for tomorrow.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

When do they update McKenzie's status for concussion protocol?

Seems like based on everything I have read he should be cleared today at some point?

My guess is that we really won't have much idea until practice squad elevations come out at 4 pm today.  I learned last year they can even clear them on game day!   I don't think McDermott wants to tip his hand to Tomlin any earlier than he has to.

My concern (esp. with Terrell Edmunds now out) is that the NFL has put pressure on the UNC and the clubs to NOT let guys play the week after a concussion, even if they have no symptoms.  Which is an effective change in the protocol and not fair.

Edited by Beck Water

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

My guess is that we really won't have much idea until practice squad elevations come out at 4 pm today.  I learned last year they can even clear them on game day!   I don't think McDermott wants to tip his hand to Tomlin any earlier than he has to.

My concern (esp. with Terrell Edmunds now out) is that the NFL has put pressure on the UNC and the clubs to NOT let guys play the week after a concussion, even if they have no symptoms.  Which is an effective change in the protocol and not fair.

I see the NFLPA is pushing for the Tua rule to become effective immediately ahead of most of the week 5 games tomorrow.

33 minutes ago, nosejob said:

What? I haven't seen the final in jury report....other than Terrell.

Anywho, my 2 bits... I'm still worried about the Pitt. Dline. They are gonna spell trouble. Probably no standard run game for us.

Gilliam is gonna have to be in to protect and he better be able to do it. A lot of people dissing the lack of Knox grabs, but does anyone notice him lining up behind the guard all the time and giving us pass pro that wouldn't exist otherwise? We're gonna notice it tomorrow.

This game may end up being another discussion about half time adjustments. Hoping for a breakout game from Shakir and Cook. I think we can kill it with screens and YAC with Diggs being Diggs

I can't go the 14 though. 31-20

You sure about that? Since Watt has been out they have had 3 sacks in 3 games and largely been ineffective rushing the passer 

29 minutes ago, wjag said:

Second of 4 AFC North games for me.  Was in B’more last Sunday. Made the drive north for Pittsburgh.  Still to come Cleveland and @Cincy.  Weather looking fine for tomorrow.  

Sunny but a little breezy with sustained winds 15-20 mph.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

In fairness to Mitch, when he did let a throw rip, the receiver ended up out of bounds.

Perhaps, the fact is he under preformed and showed he's not a starting QB. A good back up is what he is. His vision stinks, can't throw downfield, can't go through progressions quickly,  and checks everything down. Good guy but that only goes so far. The Pitt fans saw it early on and have been calling for Pickett. Pickett showed more talent in a half than Mitch did in his tenure at Pitt. As a Bills fan, I wish were we facing a limited Trubisky rather than a wildcard Pickett. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I see the NFLPA is pushing for the Tua rule to become effective immediately ahead of most of the week 5 games tomorrow.

You sure about that? Since Watt has been out they have had 3 sacks in 3 games and largely been ineffective rushing the passer 

Sunny but a little breezy with sustained winds 15-20 mph.

Heyward, Highsmith and what's his name will push the pocket. I don't trust Saffold here.  If Dawkins and Brown can do their job than the inside will be all we have to worry about.....but without Knox's help, ain't gonna be a pocket.....let alone running lanes.

We will have to hit the backs in the flat, throw some screens and some quick outs to back them off. Pitt. may be well served to Blitz like Miami. In fact, I expect to see them try to do what Miami did against us.

I'm sure they will feel they can do that with doubling Diggs, no Davis and taking their chances.

BTW hopefully a big day from Q.Morris and not for Pickens.

Edited by nosejob

Buffalo Bills PR

“#RoundingUpTheHerd: Sean McDermott and Leslie Frazier have faced a rookie QB 11 times (regular season + playoffs) since 2017. In those match-ups, the rookie QBs have recorded a 59.5 passer rating while throwing seven TDs to 17 interceptions.”

This  will help me sleep better tonight

48 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

"Not Fair"? But probably safer, and what is best for the athlete in the long run.

6 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Heyward, Highsmith and what's his name will push the pocket. I don't trust Saffold here.  If Dawkins and Brown can do their job than the inside will be all we have to worry about.....but without Knox's help, ain't gonna be a pocket.....let alone running lanes.

We will have to hit the backs in the flat, throw some screens and some quick outs to back them off. Pitt. may be well served to Blitz like Miami. In fact, I expect to see them try to do what Miami did against us.

I'm sure they will feel they can do that with doubling Diggs, no Davis and taking their chances.

You're seeing black and yellow and making assumptions based upon the past. I've watched almost every minute of every Steelers' game this year because they have been on local Cincinnati TV. They look like a different team without Watt. They sacked Zach Wilson once and didn't sack Mac Jones at all.  They have 10 sacks on the year; 7 of them came in week 1 against the Bengals when TJ Watt was in the game. Every team that they have played has run on them. Their secondary is not good except for Fitzpatrick. The steelers are ranked 21 in the NFL as a passing defense, giving up 252.5 yards per game and they've played a rusty Joe Burrow, Jacoby Brissett, Mac Jones and Zach Wilson. Success is not guaranteed of course because it's the NFL, but there is nothing in the stats or from the eyeball test that says that the Steelers D will dominate our OL. We should put up a lot of points.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, CSBill said:

"Not Fair"? But probably safer, and what is best for the athlete in the long run.

Completely agree.   However, if they are really cracking down on this stuff, you will see players not returning to games and missing time which will hit the NFL in the pocket. 

Especially if it's start star players.  Not just the attendance side of it either.  I'm sure it would put a dent in gambling as well although that would be a drop in the ocean.  It's still going to be money lost that would have been gained. 

36 minutes ago, CSBill said:

From an overarching point of view, it would be safer and from the physical health standpoint, arguably "best" to rule all of the players out, every week.

The point of the concussion protocol is supposed to be that the severity of a concussion and the speed at which an athlete recovers varies, so there are objective benchmarks which an athlete is supposed to pass.  McKenzie on his show, said he passed the concussion testing during the game, but our head trainer told him because of his on-the-field signs (being unable to move initially) he was ruled out.  He's progressed from Stage 1 through Stage 5, baseline testing is supposed to be passed before Stage 5 and he was Stage 5 on Friday. 

So to play or not should depend on if he had any further symptoms during or after Friday's contact practice, and passed the UNC's evaluation - not on what's abstractly safer.  If they want a concussed player to miss a mandatory game, then that should be the protocol for everyone.

Edited by Beck Water

58 minutes ago, nosejob said:

BTW hopefully a big day from Q.Morris and not for Pickens.

No Davis? Dude are you even paying attention to what's going on? He was a full participant all week and off the injury report.

Heyward is also banged up, so he is less than full strength. 

Allen is more than capable of handling anything Pittsburgh can bring. 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Saw that. But didn’t see any details on what that would mean. 

Basically once a player shows any signs of wooziness or anything similar relating to head trauma they are automatically out of the game regardless of what the diagnosis says.

Just now, Roundybout said:

They’re signing you. How’s your 40 time?

Sounds like Isaiah might be out tomorrow...or else they are just bringing them up to replace Kumerow and Crowder.

I doubt we get a chance to resign Bryant to the practice squad...someone will probably grab him...

Likely that means Oliver and Phillips are ready to go.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Sounds like Isaiah might be out tomorrow...or else they are just bringing them up to replace Kumerow and Crowder.

I doubt we get a chance to resign Bryant to the practice squad...someone will probably grab him...

Likely that means Oliver and Phillips are ready to go.

Agreed. This to me means Phillips and Oliver are all systems go.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.