2022 MVP: Mahomes wins. Allen gets 1 vote? (42 TDs, 19 TOs, 315 YPG & 63.3%% Comp %--EOY talk 54+)

transplantbillsfan

On 10/17/2022 at 9:20 PM, Warcodered said:

If anything, Allen's play is being under-rated. There is only one other blue-chip player on offense: Diggs. The rest of the team is good but not elite, and some players, including two-third of the offensive line, are below average. With a Tannehill or Goff at QB, this would be a mediocre offense, although the good coaching might kick it up to average. Allen makes everyone else look better than they would be. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Do we really want Allen to win the MVP?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press_NFL_Most_Valuable_Player_Award#MVP_Super_bowl_curse

20 minutes ago, finn said:

If anything, Allen's play is being under-rated. There is only one other blue-chip player on offense: Diggs. The rest of the team is good but not elite, and some players, including two-third of the offensive line, are below average. With a Tannehill or Goff at QB, this would be a mediocre offense, although the good coaching might kick it up to average. Allen makes everyone else look better than they would be. 

To be fair, Goff is actually having a pretty good season and besides Henry, the titans don’t have many weapons. I think Davis is a stud and Onox has flashes,  but you are right that the offense isn’t Insanely talented. But no one underrates Allen anymore. If anything, I think he and Mahomes are the two qbs who are the most universally respected right now. 

On 10/19/2022 at 10:03 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Do we really want Allen to win the MVP?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press_NFL_Most_Valuable_Player_Award#MVP_Super_bowl_curse

To be fair, Goff is actually having a pretty good season and besides Henry, the titans don’t have many weapons. I think Davis is a stud and Onox has flashes,  but you are right that the offense isn’t Insanely talented. But no one underrates Allen anymore. If anything, I think he and Mahomes are the two qbs who are the most universally respected right now. 

Lions are the 2nd best offense in the NFL averaging 411 yards a game.  Had a tough one against NE but other than that they have put up lost of points and yards.  Much of it has been in garbage time while being down huge, but still.

On 10/19/2022 at 2:28 PM, Billsfan1972 said:

Maybe the Mods should just close this thread down.  Anyone trying to make a case for anyone else is a fool.  

I'm a huge Mahomes fan, but if Allen throws those two picks on Sunday can you imagine the comments?

Not even close.  

This is as much of a race as an 1600m event where the person in the lead has lapped the field and everyone else is competing for 2nd.

On 10/19/2022 at 2:36 AM, Scott7975 said:

This is right before the Steelers game. There's a reason Josh was 15th in ypa, through the first 4 games and now is 2nd after 6 weeks, he's only had a healthy Gabe Davis for games 1, 5 & 6. Missed game 2 with an ankle injury and played games 3 & 4 when he clearly shouldn't have.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Is that definitely right? Mahomes sat the 4th quarter of the Cardinals game and part of the 49ers game as well.

Allen sat the 4th of the Titans and Steelers game. So only 4 less quarters ;)

Josh came out in the 3rd quarter of the Titans game.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Agree 1

I just read the Athletics MVP Race article through week 7 & was bored to tears as there is nothing really to say.  

The fact they still had Lamar in the conversation said it all.  

The Bills are 6 weeks in and weather actually played a significant roll in the Baltimore game, the offense was shut down vs. LA, Tenn & Pitt come midway through the third &  fourth quarters and the one blot on the year vs. Miami players were suffering heat stroke says an awful lot.

The Bills beat KC, who lost to Indy and while Mahomes played well, Allen played better on the road vs. them.

A lot can happen, but right now it isn't really close and the goal is the SB, not MVP.

On 10/20/2022 at 1:34 PM, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

This is right before the Steelers game. There's a reason Josh was 15th in ypa, through the first 4 games and now is 2nd after 6 weeks, he's only had a healthy Gabe Davis for games 1, 5 & 6. Missed game 2 with an ankle injury and played games 3 & 4 when he clearly shouldn't have.

It's interesting to me how Davis is the best deep threat on the Bills, and one of the best in the NFL, despite not having the electrifying speed associated with some of the other deep threats.   In fact,  he is the second slowest receiver on the Bills roster alone!  Only the 6'3" Isaiah Hodgins - who is rarely active on game day - is slower.  Kumerow and Davis actually have the same 40-yard dash time.  Diggs, McKenzie, Shakir, Jamison Crowder are all faster (granted, they are smaller too).   I realize "game speed" is different, but in many cases it seems to be Davis' strength that has made him such a dangerous deep threat, in contrast with what we usually see in the NFL.  Either way, it has become a real pleasure to watch.

Edited by BobBelcher
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

It's interesting to me how Davis is the best deep threat on the Bills, and one of the best in the NFL, despite not having the electrifying speed associated with some of the other deep threats.   In fact,  he is the second slowest receiver on the Bills roster alone!  Only the 6'3" Isaiah Hodgins - who is rarely active on game day - is slower.  Kumerow and Davis actually have the same 40-yard dash time.  Diggs, McKenzie, Shakir, Jamison Crowder are all faster (granted, they are smaller too).   I realize "game speed" is different, but in many cases it seems to be Davis' strength that has made him such a dangerous deep threat, in contrast with what we usually see in the NFL.  Either way, it has become a real pleasure to watch.

Yeah, he's definitely becoming one of the best deep threats in the NFL. I also have been wondering how a guy with average speed gets open deep so often. I remember first thinking about it in the season finale of the 2020 season against Miami. Caught a couple deep balls from Barkley that day.

6 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

Gabe does an amazing job of creating separation using his size.  The TD against KC showed him making a move at the line and then knocking the defenders hands away from him.  Then while running full speed, he adjusts his speed (slows down just a bit) to make sure he catches the ball right as he is about to hit his stride again.  this did allow the DB to catch up to him but he used his reach to keep the defender away as he started to top out.

I don't know if they could/would throw a flag for OPI on that but the nice part is, if the DB even thinks about grabbing that arm, the flag is coming out for sure.

Edited by The Wiz

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

which is irrelevant / useless because

Josh has 

— played only 3 QTRs in two of 6 games 

currently has played 1 less game than the others.  

I think that's the point that the tweet was making. 

He's 180 yards out of 1st and has played 6 less qtrs.

Hit that 5th of vodka early slim? 😆 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 3

Wow, just when you think Stephen A. Smith can't be any dumber. Trying to make it like Mahomes' game against the Bills was qualified MVP material. Those two picks were bruuuutal! 

Until last week, any reasonable person could have given Mahomes the edge, based on his career, 13 seconds, and continued stellar play. He was the reigning MVP candidate until proven otherwise, and that proof was delivered last Sunday.

How much evidence do you need?

4 minutes ago, skibum said:

Wow, just when you think Stephen A. Smith can't be any dumber. Trying to make it like Mahomes' game against the Bills was qualified MVP material. Those two picks were bruuuutal! 

Until last week, any reasonable person could have given Mahomes the edge, based on his career, 13 seconds, and continued stellar play. He was the reigning MVP candidate until proven otherwise, and that proof was delivered last Sunday.

How much evidence do you need?

It's a debate show designed to get people to tune in.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.