Zach Wilson out until at least week 4

Greg S

When Saleh never looks or sounds like he's in control. I was watching a press conference with Miami's own McD the other day and it struck me that despite looking like someone who'd fix your cable he does come across as someone who knows what he's doing and is in control. The results will tell, but Saleh already seems like a man drowning. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Payton in the off season

4 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

When Saleh never looks or sounds like he's in control. I was watching a press conference with Miami's own McD the other day and it struck me that despite looking like someone who'd fix your cable he does come across as someone who knows what he's doing and is in control. The results will tell, but Saleh already seems like a man drowning. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Payton in the off season

Agree w this. The tough guy rah rah act worked in SF when he had a loaded roster as DC. As HC now it just looks like he's in over his head.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

It can be nasty and they can also be a non-event.  Most elder active people have partially torn meniscus and most arent even aware of it.

And the literature - surgery vs no surgery shows no difference in outcomes at least for the general public. In NBA seems pretty routine to get surgery but lots more jumping there obviously.  A bit more variable in NFL it seems.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He’s basically been benched.  They seem to think Flacco can run the offense better.  Love it.

Would be a very Doug Marrone like move if that's the case to bail on a 1st round pick QB after barely playing a full season worth of games.

Also don't think Flacco is nearly as good as Kyle Orton circa 2014 at this point as well.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He’s basically been benched.  They seem to think Flacco can run the offense better.  Love it.

It doesn't matter who runs the offense better now, they need to put Wilson out there ASAP and see if he shows signs of development. Leaving Flacco the starter would be like if the Bills had left Barkley as the starter after we blew out the Jets.

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Agree w this. The tough guy rah rah act worked in SF when he had a loaded roster as DC. As HC now it just looks like he's in over his head.

I disagree. I think he is doing an outstanding job as HC. The Jets should sign him to a 10 year extension.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Would be a very Doug Marrone like move if that's the case to bail on a 1st round pick QB after barely playing a full season worth of games.

Also don't think Flacco is nearly as good as Kyle Orton circa 2014 at this point as well.

He probably thinks he's being smart too. If Flacco looks awful he can then insert Wilson and anything better will get the team and fans behind him. If anyone questions why he didn't start the season with him he can hide behind the injury excuse. Seen that before, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Why would they announce he’s out for at least 3+ weeks if they were just benching him? If he were being benched I’d think they would’ve just said that he won’t be back for week one. Then they’d see how flacco did week one (what if he’s terrible?), see how Wilson did in practice etc. before deciding the week 2 starter.

i think the most logical guess for this is a setback in his recovery. Especially considering the Jets planned to put him through a full workout the other day to see how his knee responded. Im guessing that his knee didn’t respond well to the workout. I know when I injured my knee the recovery was pretty bumpy. Too much physical activity could cause setbacks. I think Wilson only had that surgery less than a month ago iirc? 

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

He has a knee issue that unsurprisingly is taking a little longer to heal. He'll be back in October. The news here is that we're now highlighting the fact Jets went with Flacco as backup again which is brutal.

And a non-contact one at that.  That has to be pretty disconcerting.  It's one thing to have it rolled up on or clipped, it's another to have it just give way on a cut.  I think they are doing the right thing.  It's a long season.  This is likely not their year.  Let him fully mend before sending him back out there.  With the coin owners are putting out these days, teams have to play the long game.  Especially with QB1.

36 minutes ago, Logic said:

Jets fans are, um......NOT taking this news very well! 😳

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/167954-flacco-starting-against-ravens-wilson-out-until-week-4-merged/

I'd copy and paste some quotes, but the whole 18 page thread is a real banger.

About what I would expect of any team's fans dealing with this...

Nonetheless, some of my favorites,  all direct quotes:

• Tom Brady has been in the league for like 30 years and never suffered a self-inflicted bone bruise.
  • Well, to be fair, he did try to change direction while he was running.  That has ruined many football careers
  • Mike White must be rolling in Flacco's grave
  • Meniscus is the the new Mononucleosis, oh well.
  • Like Leonardo DiCaprio, we've never actually left Shutter Island.
  • I've been talking about the 2027 draft for a while now.  Hop on board!

....  There's just so many to choose from.....

Edited by wjag
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

How many pages are devoted to lamenting that they didn't take Josh?

None in that thread, but there IS a separate thread simply titled "Josh Allen", which is four pages devoted to lamentation. As far as I can tell, a Josh Allen thread just like it pops up every few months.

I've said this before, but I have to reiterate it: Going from 17 years of Brady DIRECTLY into the Josh Allen era has gotta be ROUGH on Jets and Dolphins fans.

And imagine being four days from the opener and getting the news that you get to spend a quarter of your season watching 37 year old Joe Flacco under center?

I would say I feel sorry for Jets fans, but I definitely don't...because I've MET Jets fans. 

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

None in that thread, but there IS a separate thread simply titled "Josh Allen", which is four pages devoted to lamentation. As far as I can tell, a Josh Allen thread just like it pops up every few months.

I've said this before, but I have to reiterate it: Going from 17 years of Brady DIRECTLY into the Josh Allen era has gotta be ROUGH on Jets and Dolphins fans.

And imagine being four days from the opener and getting the news that you get to spend a quarter of your season watching 37 year old Joe Flacco under center?

I would say I feel sorry for Jets fans, but I definitely don't...because I've MET Jets fans. 

One of the best comments from a Jets fan in the "Josh Allen" thread...

Not to the level he's been helped by his coaching staff and surrounding talent in Buffalo, no.  But the kid has 3 things you can't teach:  1) Ridiculous athleticism that goes beyond just his arm strength; 2) Physical and mental toughness; and 3) A seemingly maniacal desire to improve his game.  Those elements contributed heavily to Allen becoming one of the most unprecedented Year 3 turnarounds in NFL QB history.  

Sam Darnold had none of those qualities.  He was and is a soft, boogie boarding b*tch.  I don't blame the coaching all that much for his failure.  He was always destined to head down that road.  We were duped by one great game he played as a freshman in college.  We ignored the many red flags in the pursuit of a FQB.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Malazan said:

..with all the MILFs that Zacheypoo has been banging.. how is it that Sam Darnold is the one who missed games due to mono and not Zach?

Cause Sam was banging 20 year old college students where Mono is prevalent.

Zach is hitting 40 year old women - mono is not a concern.

Different ages - Different diseases.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Why would they announce he’s out for at least 3+ weeks if they were just benching him? If he were being benched I’d think they would’ve just said that he won’t be back for week one. Then they’d see how flacco did week one (what if he’s terrible?), see how Wilson did in practice etc. before deciding the week 2 starter.

i think the most logical guess for this is a setback in his recovery. Especially considering the Jets planned to put him through a full workout the other day to see how his knee responded. Im guessing that his knee didn’t respond well to the workout. I know when I injured my knee the recovery was pretty bumpy. Too much physical activity could cause setbacks. I think Wilson only had that surgery less than a month ago iirc? 

Maybe, but they claim not set-back at this time.

It looks more and more like someone stepped in and said No to Zach Wilson starting at this time.  Zach said he was ready to start game 1, Salah basically said it was trending to starting game 1 - even as of yesterday.

Now today it is week 4 - I think someone outside the organization - maybe Zach’s chosen doctor said nope - to soon - give him several more weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Have we ever played Wilson? Wasn’t he out both games last year?

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

I am pretty sure he played the game in Buffalo. I am not sure about the one at MetLife.

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

We faced him in the regular season finale last year. We sacked him 9 times. 

He was a disaster and Jets fans have had threads of arguing about how to excuse the mess he was in that game all offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Meniscus tears can be very nasty and the damage can be permanent.  I don’t know why these are seen as minor.  

9 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I've had three. Two of them, required 6 months of rehab. (No kidding) I was walking normally in a few days, after the last one. No PT required.

Maybe they're downplayed because of what BuffBart is sharing anecdotally here: meniscus tears CAN be fairly minor. They can also be fairly significant. I'm pretty sure I had an undiagnosed tear a handful of years back; no health insurance at the time, and the pain was mostly manageable except when I went DOWN stairs. I was still able to run and do some training that didn't involve squats or lunges or the sort. Sharp pain lasted 4-6 weeks.

Who really knows how many weekend warrior soft tissue injuries come and go in the shadows of the American healthcare system...

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.