OJ Howard expected to sign with Bengals (update: signs with Texans)

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Beane was given many options including removing Jim and bringing in new people - nearly the entire FO was replaced, but he kept Overdorf and still uses 5+ years later.

Yes he kept him but unlike previous GMs he does not need to use him if he does not want.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes he kept him but unlike previous GMs he does not need to use him if he does not want.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Agreed - we disagree, but since Beane has said he utilizes him on contracts and all cap issues - what does it tell you about Jim if they no longer “need” to use him, but choose to use him for signings?

Considering he was so bad - seems strange that Beane not only did not get rid of him, but has promoted him to Senior VP and his assistant.

They also leave Jim as lead negotiator for most contracts, but yeah your probably right - he is terrible at his job because of things done under bad GMs and ownership.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

It depends if Jim Overdorf was involved.  If Bills get nothing you know he was.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/5/18/22442345/buffalo-bills-announce-front-office-changes-dan-morgan-departure-jim-overdorf-stepping-back

One very large change was in the role of lead negotiator, where Jim Overdorf is transitioning out of the role in favor of Kevin Meganck. Joining the Bills in 1986, Overdorf has been the team’s vice president of football operations but will now be the senior advisor to the general manager. He will still be a major voice in contract negotiations, but won’t be the point person any more. Meganck has been with the Bills since 2004 working with Overdorf.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/31/2022 at 11:43 AM, machine gun kelly said:

If we get any of that deadcap back, and I’m more confused than clarified after reading these posts.  I’ll wait and ask Sal tomorrow.

The pundits did commend Howard’s blocking, but who cares as he’s gone.  Spilt milk.

We get some back if he signs, but not until next year

I was excited when he signed, hoping like many of us that the 2 TES in the Red Zone would be a nightmare. Now after looking at his stats he was never an impactful player in either College or the NFL. I am content now that we released him, especially since we get a couple million next year if he signs.

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Did OJ officially sign with Cincinnati? If not maybe we can get him on our practice roster?

No!  He did not sign with the Bengals.

On to Houston - reported to be undergoing a physical with the Texans

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tight-end-oj-howard-visits-texans-stays-for-physical-reports/ar-AA11modp

No deal in place, though.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport first reported Howard's visit with the Texans, adding that Howard would take a physical and sign with the team.

Pro Football Network's Aaron Wilson then reported no deal was in place, but confirmed that Howard is staying for a physical.

Texans head coach Lovie Smith acknowledged earlier in the day that injuries had taken a toll on their tight end position. Pharaoh Brown has dealt with a hamstring injury. A knee injury put rookie Teagan Quitoriano on the injured list and the team released veteran Antony Auclair, who dealt with a knee injury throughout training camp.

C'mon Texans!  Sign that guy!

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to OJ Howard expected to sign with Bengals (update: signs with Texans)
6 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Damn. I feel sorry for him. Started the year thinking about a Super Bowl ring, then had a pretty good fallback option with the Bengals, but ultimately, could only get on the Texans roster.  Ugh...

Preseason is not just for UDFAs and 3rd day drafted rookies. Would hate to be player released by team especially if you had injuries slowing you down without even a preseason game for teams to see. Of course it helps when you put in a lot of effort despite it being just a preseason game.

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

He has to be rostered the whole season?

He is a vested veteran so I do not think so. 

He needs to be on roster day 1.

Texans could cut him, sign him week 2 with a verbal promise of contract next year and try to shift his money next year so he gets more from Bills.

It could be a veteran minimum contract which may affect Bills cap.

54 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow, I have the impression that Joe knows his stuff about the cap, but that wasn't my understanding of offset language at al.

Since players are paid by the game, I thought you take whatever the new team pays per game - I think Howard's minimum salary is $1.035M or $57,500 per game - multiply by the number of games he's on a roster, and that's what the Bills get credit for.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Wow, I have the impression that Joe knows his stuff about the cap, but that wasn't my understanding of offset language at al.

Since players are paid by the game, I thought you take whatever the new team pays per game - I think Howard's minimum salary is $1.035M or $57,500 per game - multiply by the number of games he's on a roster, and that's what the Bills get credit for.

Vested veterans have their entire salary guaranteed if they're on the 53-man roster to start the season.  Only if they sign after week 1 do they get paid game-by-game.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Vested veterans have their entire salary guaranteed if they're on the 53-man roster to start the season.  Only if they sign after week 1 do they get paid game-by-game.

You're getting stuff mixed, Doc.

We all know Howard's salary was fully guaranteed, period, whether he's on the roster to start the season or not.

Vested veterans may claim their entire salary if cut after the first day of the season one time during their career, so it's not all vested veterans all the time.

That said, all NFL players get paid game by game during the season - whether their salary is guaranteed or not, whether they're a vested vet who has exercised his "once in career" guarantee, or whether they're a rookie. I believe income taxes are the reason for this, since the players owe state income tax due in the state where the game is held.

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If rather have the cap credit applied next year honestly. 

Getting another 1-1.5m this year doesn't change anything. We are still deep right now.  Next year is when the big contracts kick in. 

Unless they really wanted obj this year. 

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

If rather have the cap credit applied next year honestly. 

Getting another 1-1.5m this year doesn't change anything. We are still deep right now.  Next year is when the big contracts kick in. 

Unless they really wanted obj this year. 

If they want obj they can maneuver the cap to sign him imo

58 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You're getting stuff mixed, Doc.

We all know Howard's salary was fully guaranteed, period, whether he's on the roster to start the season or not.

Vested veterans may claim their entire salary if cut after the first day of the season one time during their career, so it's not all vested veterans all the time.

That said, all NFL players get paid game by game during the season - whether their salary is guaranteed or not, whether they're a vested vet who has exercised his "once in career" guarantee, or whether they're a rookie. I believe income taxes are the reason for this, since the players owe state income tax due in the state where the game is held.

This is the first year he'll be eligible to take advantage of it.  And if he gets cut by the Texans, one of the most talent-poor teams in the league, he'll in all likelihood take the full year's salary.

5 hours ago, RunJoshRun said:

Lets be honest - who really cares where he signs!  He's a bum.

I'm glad to see he signed with the Texans, who are no threat to the Bills, on the off-chance they got it wrong with him.  And also for the cap relief it may provide.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I know Spotrac is not the "official" cap space entity, but OJ Howard's 2022 dead money cost came down about $950k.

Bills now have $3.1M in cap space.

FWIW.

I just noticed this too. If Sportrac is right then info from Sal that we get any cap space back next year was incorrect. But I guess Sal might be right and Sportrac just simplified things.

Also, do we know if this is final or he needs to stay on the Texans roster (and we get some prorated number if he is cut)?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.