Bills @ Carolina Preseason Game Thread (kickoff now @ 7:36pm)

Simon

3 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Does the TV broadcast have too loud PA noise for anyone else?

Just got back from thr stadium. That music inbetween each play is sickning, and so loud that you needede ear muffs to block it out.. The game anouncer is like WWE and way over the top. The only fun this about tonight was the big fight in the stands behind the Bills bench.. As far as Panther fans they had no ideaa thst they were not watching out starters. 

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Barkley said he had never practiced punting before and found out right before the game when they asked him to do it

Who is their backup punter? I always thought it was Bass. What if the punter pulls a hamstring or something during a game? I hope they have a better plan in place than tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, vincec said:

Who is their backup punter? I always thought it was Bass. What if the punter pulls a hamstring or something during a game? I hope they have a better plan in place than tonight.

Before the game wasn't there a tweet of Bass bombing one? Though they probably don't want him actually doing that and maybe ***** up his kicking.

28 minutes ago, vincec said:

I sure hope Miller, Oliver and Rousseau bring the heat because the guys who played today didn’t do bupkis. Zero pass rush.

Just watched the highlights.  Nobody of note playing as you said. Team otherwise seemed flat. No striking difference between Keenum and Barkley. 

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Before the game wasn't there a tweet of Bass bombing one? Though they probably don't want him actually doing that and maybe ***** up his kicking.

It was just a guy making a joke in the pregame thread.

He copped to it pretty quick after a couple of us believed he was there.

25 minutes ago, Simon said:

Anybody have an eye or two on Spencer Brown tonight?

Started. Looked fine. There was a sack on Keenum, where Panthers pulled a stunt to the inside blew passed the guard and center, but Brown blocked his guy back off the line a yard or two. The depth O-line wasn't great. Pressure kept getting to the QBs. OJ Howard was invisible. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Started. Looked fine. There was a sack on Keenum, where Panthers pulled a stunt to the inside blew passed the guard and center, but Brown blocked his guy back off the line a yard or two. The depth O-line wasn't great. Pressure kept getting to the QBs. OJ Howard was invisible. 

Thanks man, 'preciate the eyes.

• Simon unpinned this topic

Random observations from game

- Downtown stadium is kind of cool.  Area around stadium was nice, was neat at night to look up from inside and see the tall buildings lit up outside the stadium 

- There were tons of split bills/panthers couples and families 

- The PA was super loud - prob the loudest i ever heard in a sports venue.  Get off my lawn

- The Panther hype guy that annoyingly gets on the jumbo all game and yells annoying things is annoying 

- Before halftime they were bringing two pop Warner teams out on the field who were going to play at halftime, and on our side was a team with Patriot helmets.  Of course myself and some other Bills fans booed them.  Was a little awkward when it became apparent the family of one of the players was next to us, and family of one of the cheerleaders was in front of us.  Not sure if the little Mini-Cheater team won

- They did a little light show at halftime synching the stadium lights with all other lights off to -  the Immigrant Song and Bulls on Parade :w00t:

- Going off at halftime Josh and Baker passed each other and gave each other a big smile and bro tap

- Was behind the Bills bench, I like to watch the interactions on the sidelines.  At one point Josh was standing with Diggs, Knox and Davis and going over golf swing tips with them.  Another time Knox was fetching water for guys sitting on the bench who just came out - went down the line 'you want one?'.  Josh and Von Roten seemed to be talking a lot.  Diggs was always moving and talking.  One time he was zig-zagging up the sideline and Oliver saw him coming and stepped in front of him.  Diggs then proceeded to 'school' Oliver and Epenesa on release moves.  At one point von walked over and was shooting the sh!t with Josh and it made me think who would have thought, how cool is that scene

- Didnt look like Poyer had anything on his elbow

- Howard was playing STs  - assume they needed bodies with so many guys not dressed 

- Number 66 the 4th or 50th string center was not good.  He should change his number to 666

- At one point they put a big 'IT'S BAKER TIME' on the jumbo.  My son took a picture and sent it to all his carolina buddies.  Panther fans were definitely into Baker, Darnold not so much

- My son wore a Bruce Smith jersey - Bills fans just love yelling "BRRUUUCE" when they see a Bruce jersey.  People we yelling it at him walking to the stadium, walking from the stadium, from patios across the street, walking by as we ate dinner...

- Panther fans were cool, not always fun to have your stadium taken over.  Before the game I was half expecting to hear 'rapist-lover' or similar clever trash talk, but with the stakes so low and the fact they kicked our butt things were overall genial 

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Listened on WGR.  Sean seemed distraught. Watching is painful, you can tell he is torn up over this.

He really needs to keep it together or grt professional help.  I’m glad that as another poster mentioned at least the guys there seemed loose and in good spirits.  Perhaps McD needs to see a counselor.  He is wound really tight and it seems like something like this could cause a nervous breakdown or something.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, stevewin said:

- Downtown stadium is kind of cool.  Area around stadium was nice, was neat at night to look up and see the tall buildings lit up next to the stadium 

- The PA was super loud - prob the loudest i ever heard in a sports venue.  Get off my lawn

- The Panther hype guy that annoyingly get on the jumbo all game and yells annoying things is annoying 

- At halftime they were bringing two pop Warner teams out on the field who were going to play at halftime, and on our side was a team with Patriot helmets.  Of course myself and some other Bills fans booed them.  Was a little awkward when it became apparent the family of one of the players was next to us, and family of one of the cheerleaders was in front of us.  Not sure if the little Mini-Cheater team won

- They did a little light show at halftime synching the stadium lights with all other lights off to the Immigrant Song and Bulls on Parade :w00t:

- Going off at halftime Josh and Baker passed each other and gave each other a big smile and bro tap

- Was behind the Bills bench, I like to watch the interactions on the sidelines.  At one point Josh was standing with Diggs, Knox and Davis and going over golf swing tips with them.  Another time Knox was fetching water for guys sitting on the bench who just came out - went down the line 'you want one?'.  Josh and Von Roten seemed to be talking a lot.  Diggs was always moving and talking.  One time he was zig-zagging up the sideline and Oliver saw him coming and stepped in front of him.  Diggs then proceeded to 'school' Oliver and Epenesa on release moves.  At one point von walked over and was shooting the sh!t with Josh and it made me think who would have thought, how cool is that scene

- At one point they put a big 'IT'S BAKER TIME' on the jumbo.  My son took a picture and sent it to all his carolina buddies.  Panther fans were definitely into Baker, Darnold not so much

- My son wore a Bruce Smith jersey - Bills fans just love yelling "BRRUUUCE" when they see a Bruce jersey.  People we yelling it at him walking to the stadium, walking from the stadium, from patios across the street, walking by as we ate dinner...

- Panther fans were cool, not always fun to have your stadium taken over.  Before the game I was half expecting to hear 'rapist-lover' or similar clever trash talk, but with the stakes so low and the fact they kicked our butt things were overall genial 

My best friend is a Panthers fan and I went to a game with him in Charlotte and it was really chill. I like it.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, stevewin said:

- Downtown stadium is kind of cool.  Area around stadium was nice, was neat at night to look up from inside and see the tall buildings lit up outside the stadium 

- The Panther hype guy that annoyingly gets on the jumbo all game and yells annoying things is annoying 

- At halftime they were bringing two pop Warner teams out on the field who were going to play at halftime, and on our side was a team with Patriot helmets.  Of course myself and some other Bills fans booed them.  Was a little awkward when it became apparent the family of one of the players was next to us, and family of one of the cheerleaders was in front of us.  Not sure if the little Mini-Cheater team won

- They did a little light show at halftime synching the stadium lights with all other lights off to -  the Immigrant Song and Bulls on Parade :w00t:

- Howard was playing STs  - assume they needed bodies with so many guys not dressed 

The pop Warner team had Pete metzalaars son, and Gregg olsens son.  Olsen and keuchly coached them. Josh came to say hi to the kids. 

• Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

He really needs to keep it together or grt professional help.  I’m glad that as another poster mentioned at least the guys there seemed loose and in good spirits.  Perhaps McD needs to see a counselor.  He is wound really tight and it seems like something like this could cause a nervous breakdown or something.  

He looked fine considering the pressure he's under.

Also caught diggs nearby looking up. We waved at each other.

Crowders family was nearby. I yelled go Jameson and they all enjoyed it.

Sal doesn't stop moving. He is twitchy.

The sideline looked meh. Morse and others did a lot of coaching of the young OL.

Gentry kept getting pulled to the side, I was at the 15 yrd line, and running warm up runs. 

McKenzie did a lot of passes to the fans beforehand. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Boyst62 said:

The pop Warner team had Pete metzalaars son, and Gregg olsens son.  Olsen and keuchly coached them. Josh came to say hi to the kids. 

I saw Luke on the jumbo with the kids, thought it was a meet and greet didn't realize he was a coach.  Also, I actually saw the kid with metzalaars jersey and my thought was - wow what a coincidence, dont see that name every day - I forgot pete played for panthers never put 2-2 together 😛

2 hours ago, uninja said:

Good lord McDermott looks like a deer in headlights there. I’ve seen trauma victims that are more lucid than he is right now. 

It’s quite clear his hands were tied as to what he was allowed to say. That’s very common when lawyers are involved. 

2 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

This McDermott presser is rough

Give him some major respect for sticking through it 

Gained a lot of respect for McDermott. You can tell this is killing him. He's too good of a guy to handle something like this. The hammer has to come down from Beane or the Pegula's. And if doesn't happen soon McDermott's health both physically and mentally could be at risk. One thing I found interesting is he no commented nearly every question but when he was asked if any new details had emerged in the last 24hrs that he was not aware of he answered that yes, there were some. It makes me wonder how much he knew. Is it possible Beane or whoever whom would have received the Araiza intel back in July would have left McDermott out of the loop in most or even all of the details?

2 hours ago, london_bills said:

I think without doubt. I get the sense he's pissed about something else aswell

Yep. I'd be curious if he was never told all or any of the details regarding Araiza from whomever with the Bills originally received them back in July. We are all just assuming they must have made their way down to McDermott, but that's not necessarily the case. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Barkley said he had never practiced punting before and found out right before the game when they asked him to do it

That surprised me i figured they chose him because he did some back in High School or something. But now that I think about it, it seems nearly 100% of punters historically in the NFL are are white, or not black anyways. And also not 6'5" 300lbs. So I guess he was one of the few guys on the team that fit the physical profile of a punter. So the Bills were just racially and physically profiling when they asked Barkley to punt. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Glad you had fun. I went to the 2009 Bills regular season game in Carolina. Bills won. I think Dick Jauron was fired a couple weeks later. Also wore a Bruce Smith jersey to that game. And you are correct. Bills fans always yell BRRUUUUCE! when they see it. I've been to about 6 or 7 road stadiums and the Carolina fans have been by far the tamest and quietest fans I've ever seen in person. 

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Gained a lot of respect for McDermott. You can tell this is killing him. He's too good of a guy to handle something like this. The hammer has to come down from Beane or the Pegula's. And if doesn't happen soon McDermott's health both physically and mentally could be at risk. One thing I found interesting is he no commented nearly every question but when he was asked if any new details had emerged in the last 24hrs that he was not aware of he answered that yes, there were some. It makes me wonder how much he knew. Is it possible Beane or whoever whom would have received the Araiza intel back in July would have left McDermott out of the loop in most or even all of the details?

Yep. I'd be curious if he was never told all or any of the details regarding Araiza from whomever with the Bills originally received them back in July. We are all just assuming they must have made their way down to McDermott, but that's not necessarily the case. 

I could see McDermott only knowing the situation at a level of "matts got some legal trouble going on but everything we have checked into says he is clean" from upper management

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I was wondering the same thing, and if that’s the case, would Sean resign?  He personally looks bad right now, and if that’s because he wasn’t given all the info by his management team, I could see a scenario where he would quit because of it. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 2

What I learned last night:

1)Josh could win a bunch of games with our backups- hopefully he does not need to do it.

2) I really hope we keep Blackshear and Hodgins 

3) the backups reminded me of watching the talent level when Fitz was at QB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.