Austin Hooper Cut By Browns

MarlinTheMagician

We have a hole at 2nd tight end.  Bean seems to like these cut players to fill holes.  Would not count against a comp pick right?  And only 27 years old.

Wizard Beane is methodically filling holes.  So far addressed guard, two run stuffing DTs and a back that will help in passing game.

TE, along with Corner, WR and Edge are my remaining hopes for FA and draft.  Hooper would fill one!

Just now, MarlinTheMagician said:

Tagged Njoku I believe.  

Yes, but the report was that Cleveland was going to throw a crapload of $$$ his way to keep him long term. They probably didn't want to pay 2 TE's that kind of $$$ so Hooper was shown the door. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

The browns are hilarious. They only saved about 3 mil on this deal. He's gonna be a pat by the end of this though right?  Curse of Baker. 

What's going to be hilarious is when Deshaun says no to the Browns, Baker refuses to play there, and they end up with Jacoby Brissett as their starter. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Process said:

Is he willing to sign for less than Ian Thomas? If so sure. If not than just draft a guy in the 4th round.

What did Thomas sign for?  Not sure you can compare them.  Thomas has caught 90 balls in 4 years.  Hooper caught 71 in a single season.  Knox, who is my one of my faves and my #1, only caught like 48 or 49 in his best year.  They are all about the same age (Thomas 26, Hooper 27 and Knox 25).

1 hour ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

We have a hole at 2nd tight end.  Bean seems to like these cut players to fill holes.  Would not count against a comp pick right?  And only 27 years old.

Wizard Beane is methodically filling holes.  So far addressed guard, two run stuffing DTs and a back that will help in passing game.

TE, along with Corner, WR and Edge are my remaining hopes for FA and draft.  Hooper would fill one!

Linebacker! We need an LB.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

The browns are hilarious. They only saved about 3 mil on this deal. He's gonna be a pat by the end of this though right?  Curse of Baker. 

No. They saved $9m this year,  but it will add $3m in dead cap the next 2 years I believe. 

With the kind of money back up TEs are getting in today's market, Hooper will be crazy expensive. I don't think we have the luxury to spend that on a back up to Knox (who is due to re-sign as well).

But rookie TEs take a long time to develop. So we'll need to sign a vet. It just can't be Hooper. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

So the browns made him the highest paid TE in football (at the time), barely used him in the passing game, and then released him so they can afford the franchise tag for a TE that has averaged 22 yards per game the last 3 seasons. Lmao.

Browns are gonna Brown 😟

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Would be a TE2 upgrade for sure.  Not Gronk, but if Gronk is going to Tampa (freaking Brady) then it makes sense to get someone like Hooper here.  

He’ll end up in New England they can always use another TE 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Process said:

Is he willing to sign for less than Ian Thomas? If so sure. If not than just draft a guy in the 4th round.

TE take time to develop, very few rookie TE's do well.  Better to let another team draft him, let him develop fr 4 years then sign him when they let him go.  Granted you're not going to get the best talent as the Kelse's and Gronk's of the world won't become free agents, but the Bills need a #2 TE so that's fine as there will always be Hoopers and Howards out there.

5 hours ago, Process said:

They save almost $10M

That's 'cuz they made him a post-June 1 designation.

The difference is that

1) they'll take on dead cap from him next season

2) they don't realize the cap space until ......after June 1 (they don't have to pay him any roster bonuses due and he can sign elsewhere immediately)

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He sucks. Brutal FA signing by the orange and fudge. 

Curious why you say that.  He wasn't what they hoped for in Cleveland, but in Atlanta I thought he was good, in fact in 2020 I wanted him.

After his rookie season, in Atlanta he was a 45 ypg, 660 yd per season, 10.2 y/r, 78% catch % kind of guy.  What didn't you like?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.