Bills interested in signing Rob Gronkowski, per Tim Graham

HappyDays

34 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Engram's position would be TE.  Several TEs have more of a pass catching role, but the Bills still need a good backup TE.  Engram/Ertz/CJ Uzomah would be good fall back plans.  Maybe Hayden Hurst if everything dries up.

It depends what you mean by "position". In terms of position designation on the roster, yes. In terms of position on the field? Not so much. He actually played the tight end position on only 37% of his snaps in 2021. He was primarily in the slot. He is a big slot receiver to all intents and purposes. He rarely plays tight end and he is a dreadful blocker. 

Of the guys you mentioned above I only see Uzomah and Hurst as actual tight ends. Engram and even more so Ertz are basically big slot receivers. 

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It depends what you mean by "position". In terms of position designation on the roster, yes. In terms of position on the field? Not so much. He actually played the tight end position on only 37% of his snaps in 2021. He was primarily in the slot. He is a big slot receiver to all intents and purposes. He rarely plays tight end and he is a dreadful blocker. 

Of the guys you mentioned above I only see Uzomah and Hurst as actual tight ends. Engram and even more so Ertz are basically big slot receivers. 

Yes, by designation, they are TEs.

And for the Bills purposes it's not a bad idea to look for a backup TE that can play slot.  Then they can have a veteran presence in the slot and a backup if Knox gets injured (which is something Beas or McKenzie don't offer).  This would also allow for a nice path for a drafted stud WR to be worked into the lineup.

If Gronk doesn't come here I think I would prefer Ertz over Engram.  Ertz would be a temporary veteran and has better hands than Engram, which in this role seems quite important.

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Yes, by designation, they are TEs.

And for the Bills purposes it's not a bad idea to look for a backup TE that can play slot.  Then they can have a veteran presence in the slot and a backup if Knox gets injured (which is something Beas or McKenzie don't offer).  This would also allow for a nice path for a drafted stud WR to be worked into the lineup.

If Gronk doesn't come here I think I would prefer Ertz over Engram.  Ertz would be a temporary veteran and has better hands than Engram, which in this role seems quite important.

See again I just see it the other way. I think the Bills need someone who can block. Not a big slot receiver. If they get Gronk great he does both at a high level even now. But if not Gronk then I am much more attracted by a Hayden Hurst type to be the #2 tight end option in this offense. 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

See again I just see it the other way. I think the Bills need someone who can block. Not a big slot receiver. If they get Gronk great he does both at a high level even now. But if not Gronk then I am much more attracted by a Hayden Hurst type to be the #2 tight end option in this offense. 

Hayden Hurst?  Didn’t he marry Stephanie McMahon?

• Haha (+1) 3

On 3/4/2022 at 6:44 PM, muppy said:

excellent post. Noone is perfect and we all have room for growth in our reactions to things we see and how they affect our thinking. As a matter of fact I see how my long held bitterness over that cheap shot  be put in the past and move on Especially if he is possibly going to be joining our team. If Tre White had been maimed or even killed the same principle of forgiveness should be (in a perfect word) given also to gronkowski as mandated by the God I believe in.  I will admit to being a Christian and having at times issues with being 1000% forgiving.  What is also Very difficult for me is to be ridiculed for Not being perfect or having a different view on things ...your post is spot on.  Especially the last paragraph. Disdainful attitude, its born from arrogance and a sense of superiority cloaked in snide laughter and cute emojis. Stop Hate Indeed @-@

I understand the Christian values, but in this case the hate burns in me like the fire of a thousand volcanos!  

Still, if Tre is good with it, maybe it’s time to move on.   No need to get—-wait for it….waaaaaaiiiiittt for it…..a Mupset stomach. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane very clearly stated that priority 1 this offseason was doing a better job protecting Josh Allen............and being that the free agent OL market isn't good........one way to do that is to play more 12 personnel and add a TE who can block.

Now Beane spoke about the team needs after the AFCCG loss in KC last year............and promptly didn't address any of those needs in UFA..........so I guess he could do the same this offseason.

But if we are taking him at his word..........his word was that protecting Allen was priority #1.     Changing slot receivers out doesn't really address that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beane very clearly stated that priority 1 this offseason was doing a better job protecting Josh Allen............and being that the free agent OL market isn't good........one way to do that is to play more 12 personnel and add a TE who can block.

Now Beane spoke about the team needs after the AFCCG loss in KC last year............and promptly didn't address any of those needs in UFA..........so I guess he could do the same this offseason.

But if we are taking him at his word..........his word was that protecting Allen was priority #1.     Changing slot receivers out doesn't really address that.

Yeah, he explained how there are multiple ways to protect Josh, one of which is an improved run game, as it would deter DEs from being able to just pin their ears back and rushing him. So that could be different personnel groupings (2 TEs), a premier RB, OL changes, or a combination of the 3. Swapping out slot WR doesn't impact that, unless it's a big bodied guy who can kinda block. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I understand the Christian values, but in this case the hate burns in me like the fire of a thousand volcanos!  

Still, if Tre is good with it, maybe it’s time to move on.   No need to get—-wait for it….waaaaaaiiiiittt for it…..a Mupset stomach. 

****Standing Ovation******* lmao thats my buddy leo bringing the pepto bismol to the Gronk thread.....LOL I will see how the chits fall and then react further..maybe. 

lol

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Gronk has been linked to the Bills  in many tweets.  People don't ask because Gronk/Bills negotiations aren't supposed to ba able to start until Monday.

who's tweets?

Mo, Larry and Curly’s?

2 people referencing the same OP isn’t reality 

did ANY of them ask Gronk what his thoughts are?

The Gronk scenario just died, on to even more unlikely FA signing threads, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Please no....might as well draft Dulcich or Ruckert.

Love Ruckert and his bills mafia thing but look at his stats and he runs a 4.7 forty not a 4.42 like Engram. Granted, Engram has had serious drop issues and has not played up to his abilities but Engram was also playing with crap Qbs not josh Allen. Diggs, Gabe, knox, Engram and McKenzie (or a stud wr drafted at 25) would be really hard to stop

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.