Bills interested in signing Rob Gronkowski, per Tim Graham

HappyDays

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Gronks big dufus routine is a facade, by all accounts he has stashed all his pay checks for the most part and lived on the interest and endorsements.  He is supposedly very financially astute, this from the little I have read.  At the right price he would be an above average contributor for the team, I still believe he has no interest in playing for the Bills. 

he’s a work hard, play hard guy. 

Can’t hate a guy for having fun and enjoying the spoils of his very risky career as long as he’s willing to show up and take the job seriously too. 

Half the people hating gronk loved Ritchie for chrissake 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he’s a work hard, play hard guy. 

Can’t hate a guy for having fun and enjoying the spoils of his very risky career as long as he’s willing to show up and take the job seriously too. 

Half the people hating gronk loved Ritchie for chrissake 

I’d argue Ritchie was an even bigger Dbag than Gronk. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/3/2022 at 4:39 AM, Greg S said:

I would fire McDermott from a cannon into the Atlantic Ocean in a NY minute if it meant Belichick would coach this team. We would have been Super Bowl champs this past season with Bill in charge. He knows how to defend 13 seconds.

ROFLMAO.

8 hours ago, Rat-boy said:
On 3/3/2022 at 7:39 AM, Greg S said:

I would fire McDermott from a cannon into the Atlantic Ocean in a NY minute if it meant Belichick would coach this team. We would have been Super Bowl champs this past season with Bill in charge. He knows how to defend 13 seconds.

ROFLMAO.

I have just what Greg S. is looking for....the schwere Gustav! 

This bad boy needed TWO sets of railroad tracks to operate.

I think we could get McDermott into the Atlantic from Orchard Park.

schwerer-gustav_resize_md.jpg

hitler-inspecting-schwerer-gustav.jpg

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

How could he not want to play with Allen...I don’t get it...

I suspect Beane gives ultimatums on what he will pay for free agents and that's where it is.  

Maybe Gronk wants $9M......which for a top TE is a low aav.........but Beane he has determined he won't pay more than $7M...........which is a number that he's calculated using his cap room figure more than the value the player can add to the team.

And the cap room figure is adversely affected by over-payments already made at other positions.........like, more recently, special teams gunner and slot CB etc..   A million too much here and a million and a half too much there adds up and then you can end up with limits that won't work in market where there is strong demand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, 5ths the charm said:

He's old often injured only shows up when he's on stage with TB. Too expensive for him to hang at home to get paid. Beane, please, just walk away.

I’m not saying do it, cost matters. But he’s played more games (barely) than Knox (who I love) the last 2 years. Gronk had more catches, yards and YPC (55/802/14.6) than Knox (49/587/12) last year. Mostly by a wide margin. And he’s a good blocker. 

It’s a dangerous game and guys get hurt. I’d love to see him get one more ring with his home town team. 

Edited by Augie
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not saying do it, cost matters. But he’s played more games (barely) than Knox (who I love) the last 2 years. Gronk had more catches, yards and YPC than Knox last year. Mostly by a wide margin. And he’s a good blocker. 

It’s a dangerous game. I’d love to see him get one more ring with his home town team. 

Target for target, Knox would have had 6 more catches for 66 fewer yards and 5 more TDs.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Target for target, Knox would have had 6 more catches for 66 fewer yards and 5 more TDs.

I’m not arguing he’s “better”, just saying I love Knox, and Gronk is still right there at his age. Brady was kinda good, he knew where to go with the ball. 

We NEED another NFL quality TE. Gronk MIGHT be that guy. I’ll trust our FO to figure that out. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I suspect Beane gives ultimatums on what he will pay for free agents and that's where it is.  

Maybe Gronk wants $9M......which for a top TE is a low aav.........but Beane he has determined he won't pay more than $7M...........which is a number that he's calculated using his cap room figure more than the value the player can add to the team.

And the cap room figure is adversely affected by over-payments already made at other positions.........like, more recently, special teams gunner and slot CB etc..   A million too much here and a million and a half too much there adds up and then you can end up with limits that won't work in market where there is strong demand.

I think that sort of discipline is important. A person in Beane's position has to put an appraised value on everything and stick to it. It should be an automatic response to any player availability. It should be coldly rational and not emotional in any way.

That said, aside from being disciplined there's always the discussion of whether any given appraisal is a good one or not.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Knox wasn't good enough to command those targets...........and Knox wasn't competing with two 1,000+ yard receivers for targets like Gronk was in Tampa.

Gronk is a HOF'er with proof of elite production........a CAREER 15 ypc receiver...........when Knox has ONE SEASON where he actually puts up big time numbers then we can stop pretending that he warranted them and simply did not get them.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

8 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I think that sort of discipline is important. A person in Beane's position has to put an appraised value on everything and stick to it. It should be an automatic response to any player availability. It should be coldly rational and not emotional in any way.

That said, aside from being disciplined there's always the discussion of whether any given appraisal is a good one or not.

Like I said..........is that valuation based on what the player could be worth to the team?............or is it based on what you have left after some suspect valuations/contracts?

The Bills have $11M aav tied up into their slot CB position of Johnson/Neal for the next 3 years.  

IMO they could have addressed that more than adequately for half that.  And probably should have now that they are out of their rookie QB window.

Those are just the two most recent multi-year deals Beane has handed out,  as examples.

Beane seems to be fine with paying over market for lower contract value positions..........that is cheaper on a per instance basis.........but it adds up........because there are A LOT more "non-starters at premium positions" than there are those who are.

Gronk does not want to play for Buffalo 

he’s vindictive because the home town passed him by twice in the draft.  

9 hours ago, Doc said:

Hopefully we can stop talking about him.

AMEN!!!

This fake story is close to Dunkirk Don status 

Fake 💩 that people wanted to believe 

8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Gronk does not want to play for Buffalo 

he’s vindictive because the home town passed him by twice in the draft.  

AMEN!!!

This fake story is close to Dunkirk Don status 

Fake 💩 that people wanted to believe 

good old Dunkirk Dave and than Fredonia Fred always had the latest breaking news like the stadium in Batavia etc

7 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Buffalo rumblings has an article claiming the Bills interest in Evan Ingram. Is this more realistic? I think he would do well here. We need TE depth.

I’ve seen “rumblings” rumbling about every FA 

Tis the dead time of the offseason 

They have to publish something 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 5ths the charm said:

He's old often injured only shows up when he's on stage with TB. Too expensive for him to hang at home to get paid. Beane, please, just walk away.

I don’t really care what he does in the regular season so long as he’s there for the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Buffalo rumblings has an article claiming the Bills interest in Evan Ingram. Is this more realistic? I think he would do well here. We need TE depth.

With tweets of Tenn showing interest in Gronk, Gronk's price may be going  over what Beane has in mind.

Beane should be looking at all realistic good TE options.  Gronk, Engram, and Ertz would all fit the bill for me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Einstein's Dog said:

With tweets of Tenn showing interest in Gronk, Gronk's price may be going  over what Beane has in mind.

Beane should be looking at all realistic good TE options.  Gronk, Engram, and Ertz would all fit the bill for me.

Gronk wants a “contender” and a young stud QB.  He’s named Joe Cool Burrow 

IIRC he also mentioned Justin Herbert 

(anyone but JA17)

It has been 2 weeks 

Why hasn’t anyone asked Gronk if he would play in Buffalo since then?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Bills are interested in Engram as a big slot receiver from what I read

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Knox wasn't good enough to command those targets...........and Knox wasn't competing with two 1,000+ yard receivers for targets like Gronk was in Tampa.

Gronk is a HOF'er with proof of elite production........a CAREER 15 ypc receiver...........when Knox has ONE SEASON where he actually puts up big time numbers then we can stop pretending that he warranted them and simply did not get them.

Maybe if he had a performance bonus in his contract...

But come on.  Knox wasn't worth a target more per game?

Forget that #######.  He's made it clear he's still pissed the Bills bypassed him in the draft.  That he'd rather play in Tennessee with Tannehill speaks volumes.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Forget that #######.  He's made it clear he's still pissed the Bills bypassed him in the draft.  That he'd rather play in Tennessee with Tannehill speaks volumes.

I  don't think Gronk has indicated in any way that he is still pissed at the Bills for bypassing him.   I don't see him carrying a grudge for that.

I unfortunately think the Tenn tweets are more an indication that he is not coming as cheap as many of us had hoped.  Tenn is a real threat to wanting/using him.  I think Beane may have to pony up >10M at this point to get Gronk.  I think that figure is giving Beane pause and Beane is considering other options.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Bills are interested in Engram as a big slot receiver from what I read

Engram's position would be TE.  Several TEs have more of a pass catching role, but the Bills still need a good backup TE.  Engram/Ertz/CJ Uzomah would be good fall back plans.  Maybe Hayden Hurst if everything dries up.

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Gronk wants a “contender” and a young stud QB.  He’s named Joe Cool Burrow 

IIRC he also mentioned Justin Herbert 

(anyone but JA17)

It has been 2 weeks 

Why hasn’t anyone asked Gronk if he would play in Buffalo since then?

Gronk has been linked to the Bills  in many tweets.  People don't ask because Gronk/Bills negotiations aren't supposed to ba able to start until Monday.

4 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I  don't think Gronk has indicated in any way that he is still pissed at the Bills for bypassing him.   I don't see him carrying a grudge for that.

I unfortunately think the Tenn tweets are more an indication that he is not coming as cheap as many of us had hoped.  Tenn is a real threat to wanting/using him.  I think Beane may have to pony up >10M at this point to get Gronk.  I think that figure is giving Beane pause and Beane is considering other options.

Engram's position would be TE.  Several TEs have more of a pass catching role, but the Bills still need a good backup TE.  Engram/Ertz/CJ Uzomah would be good fall back plans.  Maybe Hayden Hurst if everything dries up.

Coincidentally, a source identified the Bills as a top suitor for Engram. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the league views the Giants’ 2017 first-round pick next week.

Duggan would go on to add that sources believe Engram could get $7-$8 million per year in annual salary on a long-term deal.

If Buffalo ends up signing Engram, the tight end would be reunited with Knox. The two were teammates at Ole Miss from 2015-2016.

Knox is coming off of a breakout season in Buffalo where he caught 49 passes for 587 yards and nine touchdowns, but Buffalo may be looking to add another talented tight end to give the Bills more personnel options.

In addition to giving Buffalo more personnel options, there is talk of teams using Engram as a “big slot.”

Buffalo could be intrigued by this option with Cole Beasley’s tenure likely coming to an end and Isaiah McKenzie set to hit free agency.

From a skillset perspective, Engram has the ability to be a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. His biggest flaw, however, is his hands. Engram has a history of drops.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/03/nfl-rumors-buffalo-bills-expected-to-pursue-giants-te-evan-engram.html

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Maybe if he had a performance bonus in his contract...

But come on.  Knox wasn't worth a target more per game?

Gronk is a HOF'er who still performed at near his career norms in 2021.......he produced big numbers in an offense with better targets than the Bills had.

Dawson Knox has had one "prime years" Scott-Chandler-level 500 yard receiving season............the other two seasons he was JAG with bad hands.

There is a very significant gap between their production and simply projecting that out is no different than saying that 2015 Mike Gillislee or Karlos Williams would have been  better than Adrian Peterson if they were given as many carries.    

On an individual player basis.........ACTUAL production matters a lot.

As for him making it clear he is "still pissed" at the Bills for not drafting him............would love to see that quote.    Considering that the only person of note from ownership down who was with the organization at the time Gronk was drafted is the cap guy,  Jim Overdorf..........that makes zero sense.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.