Rumored Giants Players Available for Trade

SCBills

Kadarius Toney

Saquon Barkley

James Bradberry 

With Schoen over at NYG, any of these guys interest anyone here?

For me personally, I'd offer a 2nd Rounder for Toney.  Still on a rookie deal, 1st RD Pick last year.  Not the same player as Tyreek Hill in terms of speed, but similar playmaking ability out of the slot.  

• Agree 2

In general, you would think the Giants will be doing some substantial team rebuilding.

Look at the collection of players McBeane dumped on the market here in the early days.

And on top of it, their GM was one of our guys.

You would think we would have as solid a shot at wheeling and dealing with them as anyone in the league, assuming both parties have a player of interest.

I'd say to keep an eye on the Giants as the off-season unfolds!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Toney really on the trade block? He had a solid rookie year. Was hurt for a portion though 

I've seen quite a few Giants reporters mention Toney as a potential trade candidate.  Have to believe where there's smoke there's fire.    I'd certainly inquire.  From what it seems, the rationale is that he was hurt a lot last year, which is a worry for them - especially given how snakebit they are, and also might just not be a fit for what they're trying to build... more of a luxury player when they need building blocks. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

I wouldn't think they are shopping Toney - rookie contract, need weapons, has shown flashes.  Doesn't make sense for them.  Nothing to lose there.

Barkley/Bradberry - would think they are absolutely looking to rid big contracts or capture value where Barkley is concerned.

You never know. The Bills unloaded their best offensive player - Watkins - after three seasons. Schoen is a "culture" guy, and there may be stuff about Toney and his team "fit" that we don't know about. Daboll may also think that McKenzie is a better player than him at this point. My basic read on the latter is that Daboll likes him (given the playcalling) and McDermott has issues with him.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

You never know. The Bills unloaded their best offensive player - Watkins - after three seasons. Schoen is a "culture" guy, and there may be stuff about Toney and his team "fit" that we don't know about. Daboll may also think that McKenzie is a better player than him at this point. My basic read on the latter is that Daboll likes him (given the playcalling) and McDermott has issues with him.

Watkins had years of injury concerns already, though. And he later admitted to having to mature and become a better team player after he left the Bills.

I guess we don't know if Toney has any character concerns, but it is pretty tough to label him injury prone after one season.

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Watkins had years of injury concerns already, though. And he later admitted to having to mature and become a better team player after he left the Bills.

I guess we don't know if Toney has any character concerns, but it is pretty tough to label him injury prone after one season.

He missed a bunch of games in college due to injury: https://www.gainesville.com/story/sports/college/football/2021/04/29/breaking-down-what-florida-gators-receiver-kadarius-toney-provide-next-level/4886034001/

44 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Kadarius Toney

Saquon Barkley

James Bradberry 

For me personally, I'd offer a 2nd Rounder for Toney.  Still on a rookie deal, 1st RD Pick last year.  Not the same player as Tyreek Hill in terms of speed, but similar playmaking ability out of the slot.  

is this a rumor you are starting?!  😄

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Kadarius Toney

Saquon Barkley

James Bradberry 

You don't mention the source of the rumors. 

Having Toney on that list makes it sound like an Internet Dude's List O' Spitballs  Most 1st rounders get more than a year to prove themselves, and Toney had an OK year for a rookie.  Incoming OC/HC will view his struggles as due to a faulty offensive system/execution and look at his talent and his 189 yd game against Dallas as harbringers of next year's production.  I can't imagine why the Giants would want to trade him.

I imagine in Schoen's most vivid wet dreams, someone offers to trade for Barkley - ANYTHING for Barkley.    He carries no dead cap and a trade would transfer his $7.2M fully guaranteed 2022 salary to someone else.  But his health and on-field production aren't going to have other teams lining up for that.  Maybe a team like the Dolphins, Chargers, or Jags who have more cap space than they know what to do with might consider flipping the Giants a late round conditional pick that bumps up a round if he produces to see if they can actually put his undeniable talent to work for them.  The Bills aren't in a situation where it's worth the gamble to them.

Bradberry can ball.  Whether he can ball worth $13.4M to a trade partner for the Giants is another question.  That's paying him next door to a top-10 CB in AAV.  Is he?  Uncertain.  The Giants take a big dead cap hit if they cut him - he has a void year in 2023 so they take on extra amortized signing bonus but they still save $12M by cutting him.  I'm thinking trade partners figure they can wait until the Giants cut him to free up needed cap, then negotiate.  Anyway, the Bills are in need of cheap labor, not a $13.4M trade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Kadarius Toney

Saquon Barkley

James Bradberry 

I'd snap up Toney for a second rounder in a flash.  Seems like exactly the type of YAC guy we need...Why would he be on the trading block? 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Having Toney on that list makes it sound like an Internet Dude's List O' Spitballs  Most 1st rounders get more than a year to prove themselves, and Toney had an OK year for a rookie.  Incoming OC/HC will view his struggles as due to a faulty offensive system/execution and look at his talent and his 189 yd game against Dallas as harbringers of next year's production.  I can't imagine why the Giants would want to trade him.

I imagine in Schoen's most vivid wet dreams, someone offers to trade for Barkley - ANYTHING for Barkley.    He carries no dead cap and a trade would transfer his $7.2M fully guaranteed 2022 salary to someone else.  But his health and on-field production aren't going to have other teams lining up for that.  Maybe a team like the Dolphins, Chargers, or Jags who have more cap space than they know what to do with might consider flipping the Giants a late round conditional pick that bumps up a round if he produces to see if they can actually put his undeniable talent to work for them.  The Bills aren't in a situation where it's worth the gamble to them.

Bradberry can ball.  Whether he can ball worth $13.4M to a trade partner for the Giants is another question.  That's paying him next door to a top-10 CB in AAV.  Is he?  Uncertain.  The Giants take a big dead cap hit if they cut him - he has a void year in 2023 so they take on extra amortized signing bonus but they still save $12M by cutting him.  I'm thinking trade partners figure they can wait until the Giants cut him to free up needed cap, then negotiate.  Anyway, the Bills are in need of cheap labor, not a $13.4M trade.

I heard it on WFAN, and Toney is also the #20 Twitter trend right now with speculation of him potentially being traded.  

Could be nothing. Could be something.  

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You inspired to me look it up re Jax. I did not realize that James Robinson tore his achilles on Dec 21. Of course Etienne is coming off an ACL tear. I immediately thought a trade of Saquon to Jax made no sense, but perhaps it does given the injury uncertainties they have at the RB position. Still, given that Etienne is a first rounder, that's  a lot of money to tie up into the RB position, especially when the two getting paid have major injury histories ... (Robinson is a UDFA going into his third season and is probably dirt cheap, but he of course is coming off an achilles ...)

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Unless it is for obvious schematic fit reasons (and Toney would not be), if a team is willing to trade last year’s first round pick then you don’t want that player.  

You mean like when Indy was shopping their recent first-rounder, Jerry Hughes? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Say more about your thinking here.

Cap hit isn't crazy for the possible reward. There's some risk depending on the picks involved but it makes a lot of sense for Buffalo if we're talking a pick in the 3rd or 4th round range. I don't even mind if the pick becomes higher based on playing time.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, MJS said:

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/04/kadarius-toney-2/

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I heard it on WFAN, and Toney is also the #20 Twitter trend right now with speculation of him potentially being traded.  

Could be nothing. Could be something.  

It's nothing. Some writer wrote an article to meet a deadline. Included Toney's name to get people talking. Admitted in the article it was an extreme long shot. Posted it upthread. It's all just "this time year" banter.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Kadarius Toney

Saquon Barkley

James Bradberry 

Rumored by you?  I find it funny that they would part with a young WR with that much potential talent.  Saquon Barkley not a chance.  Do you really think Daboll is not going to build around his QB?   For the Giants to throw away all the young talent just doesn't make sense!

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Cap hit isn't crazy for the possible reward. There's some risk depending on the picks involved but it makes a lot of sense for Buffalo if we're talking a pick in the 3rd or 4th round range. I don't even mind if the pick becomes higher based on playing time.

$7.2M fully guaranteed isn't crazy for a guy who has only played 15 games out of the last 33 games, and who hasn't hit 5 ypa since 2018?

Yes, in principle he has great talent, but the guy seems to be a walking IR festival

Some super-talented players in college just don't seem to hold up in the NFL.

48 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Toney has major character issues, I doubt we'd be interested. If the Giants are shopping their 1st round pick after his rookie season that is a big red flag.

Also, it has seemed many times that Toney has been described with words and phrases that are code for: Not Smart Enuf.  As part of why he isnt on the field more, or isnt moved around more, isnt more than a one-trick pony, etc.

(i dont have a link and refuse to look for one.  We arent trading for Toney, and Giants likely wont trade him so soon.  I hope they do trade him, though)

Edited by maddenboy

2 minutes ago, JOSH HUFF said:

Rumored by you?  I find it funny that they would part with a young WR with that much potential talent.  Saquon Barkley not a chance.  Do you really think Daboll is not going to build around his QB?   For the Giants to throw away all the young talent just doesn't make sense!

I think Schoen would love to trade Barkley and free up the cap space for a guy who can't seem to stay healthy, but his 1 year, $7.2M fully guaranteed contract makes him unpalatable to most trade partners.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.