The WR FA list for 2022 is very intriguing…

eball

I was looking around on Spotrac this morning and pulled this list.  There are a number of guys who could add to the Bills offense in a big way to complement Diggs and Davis.  I think we know the Bills aren’t going to go after Davante or Allen Robinson but what about guys like Crowder, Kirk, Mike Williams?

Kirk is intriguing to me in particular.  Still young (25) and had a pretty good year for Arizona with Hopkins going down.

Crowder is a very solid player.  Mike Williams is a contested catch guy also.

Can’t wait to see what Beane does.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

5 minutes ago, eball said:

I was looking around on Spotrac this morning and pulled this list.  There are a number of guys who could add to the Bills offense in a big way to complement Diggs and Davis.  I think we know the Bills aren’t going to go after Davante or Allen Robinson but what about guys like Crowder, Kirk, Mike Williams?

Kirk is intriguing to me in particular.  Still young (25) and had a pretty good year for Arizona with Hopkins going down.

Agree the list is very strong this year. Will be interesting to see who gets to see the Market and who is resigned. Williams is a guy that may get a tag.

Crowder and and Kirk would fit what we do. I also like DJ Chark. Chark is coming off an injury and may need to sign a 1 year "prove it". He's a guy that reminds me a bit of Gabe Davis, however possesses more speed.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

Beanian low cost crowdsourcing every position can only get you so far. Based on what happened to us in the playoffs and what the Rams will demonstrate next Sunday, I expect Beane to sell the farm for an elite talent pass rusher via trade and let Allen and Diggs carry the O pretty much with the same cast of characters we had in ‘21, maybe even downgrading the investment in the 3 and 4 wideouts. 

Edited by Charles Romes
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, eball said:

speed is the buzz word 

wr to get space. 

32 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Beanian low cost crowdsourcing every position can only get you so far. Based on what happened to us in the playoffs and what the Rams will demonstrate next Sunday, I expect Beane to sell the farm for an elite talent pass rusher via trade and let Allen and Diggs carry the O pretty much with the same cast of characters we had in ‘21, maybe even downgrading the investment in the 3 and 4 wideouts. 

Couldn’t disagree more, re: not continuing to build the offense.  Forget this “D wins championships” nonsense.  The Bills are right there; they need to give Josh more weapons, not fewer.  Lack of adjustments kept the Bills out of the Super Bowl, not lack of talent or lack of defense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, eball said:

First think Beane will need to do is cut some players and rework some existing contracts so he can have so money to spend. Right now we're over the cap

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Couldn’t disagree more, re: not continuing to build the offense.  Forget this “D wins championships” nonsense.  The Bills are right there; they need to give Josh more weapons, not fewer.  Lack of adjustments kept the Bills out of the Super Bowl, not lack of talent or lack of defense.

I don't think it's so much an issue of “D wins championships” as it is an issue that a lack of D can lose you championships. A single sack in the 4th qrtr could have changed the outcome of that game.

I don't have an issue with the Bills bolstering their offense by making improvements on the OLine, but I think adding a dominant pass-rushing DE could be equally effective.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I can see the Bills liking Crowder a lot. If they move on from Beas and McKenzie he gives them a vet slot, who will probably be reasonably priced, and he is probably willing to take a bit less to come to a good team after being stuck on the Jets and Washington. 

If they wanted to take a swing on DJ Chark on a 1 year prove you are healthy deal I am 100% here for it. I think the Jags might try and keep him though. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, eball said:

I can't disagree more with this.  The Bengals won because their defense held the Chefs to 24 points.  The Bills do that, they're going to the SB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't think it's so much an issue of “D wins championships” as it is an issue that a lack of D can lose you championships. A single sack in the 4th qrtr could have changed the outcome of that game.

I don't have an issue with the Bills bolstering their offense by making improvements on the OLine, but I think adding a dominant pass-rushing DE could be equally effective.

This is true, I just look at the Bills’ defensive failure in that game as one of coaching and adjustments, not talent.  For my money, I’m going to give the big fella all the weapons I can.

All those guys in the OPs post are projected to get anywhere from 11-16 million a season.  Not gonna happen here

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I can see the Bills liking Crowder a lot. If they move on from Beas and McKenzie he gives them a vet slot, who will probably be reasonably priced, and he is probably willing to take a bit less to come to a good team after being stuck on the Jets and Washington. 

If they wanted to take a swing on DJ Chark on a 1 year prove you are healthy deal I am 100% here for it. I think the Jags might try and keep him though. 

He’s projected to get around 12 million a season 

Just now, eball said:

This is true, I just look at the Bills’ defensive failure in that game as one of coaching and adjustments, not talent.  For my money, I’m going to give the big fella all the weapons I can.

No argument there, I just think it might not have come down to coaching and adjustments if the Bills had a Von Miller running around out there in the 4th qrtr.

As for weapons, I think Allen can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse and I'd prefer them to focus on protecting him rather than going with pricey overkill at the skill positions. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

The FA WR group is large and diverse. You can find almost anything you want: WR1 (Godwin, Adams), size (M. Williams, Robinson), slot/possession (Crowder), intruiguing upside (Kirk), coming off injury (Chark, Gallup),  etc. 

There is some bias on this board about McKenzie. If you sort by receiving yards he's somewhere around 54th. How likely is it that he gets an offer > $2-2.5 million (if that)?

A couple at the low end that are interesting are James Washington, Alan Lazard and Marquez Valdes-Scantling. Russell Gage too. 

I like Christian Kirk though he may be pricey. Diggs-Davis-Kirk would be good for a years. That would rival Chase-Higgins-Boyd at Cincy.

The wild card are the injury guys like Gallup (also interesting). 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

No argument there, I just think it might not have come down to coaching and adjustments if the Bills had a Von Miller running around out there in the 4th qrtr.

As for weapons, I think Allen can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse and I'd prefer them to focus on protecting him rather than going with pricey overkill at the skill positions. 

Agree.  I don’t envision Crowder or Kirk as “pricey overkill.”

56 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It's a good class.

One guy I find intriguing is James Washington.  Think he could be a good fit.  Deep threat undervalued by playing with Big Ben.

I never thought they gave him the chance he deserved nor did they use him according to his skills set. Washington can run after the catch and it always seems like they were having him run deep fly routes.

I’m interested also in Will Fuller . Adding Fuller speed to this offense would take us to another level. He needs to rebuild his stock so we can get him relatively cheap. Diggs, Gabe and Fuller would just be dangerous for opposing defenses. We also can start using Diggs more in the slot where he can be nearly as unguardable as Coop Kupp

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, eball said:

Yet offense is not why we aren’t in the SB.  Josh Allen had 9 TDs and almost 900 total yards in 2 playoffs games with a near perfect QB rating.  Yet people still saying forget defense we need more offense?

No disrespect…but…How can you say defense is nonsense?  Did you miss the part where the Bengals only allowed THREE points to the Chiefs in the entire second half AND OT?

Or maybe you missed that part where we gave away a game in 13 seconds?  Or how about the part where we gave the Chiefs 2 TDs and a FG in a total of like 4 min to end that game.  

Not to mention the Rams only made it to the SB because the 49ers safety Tarrt dropped what likely would be the game sealing total gimme interception while Rams were down 2 scores deep into the 4th.

I mean we had one of the best 2 playoff game stretches of offense and QB play in history…literally.  And our season ends because we gave up 3 scores in like 4 min to end the game.  And people still complaining we need more offense and forget the defense. How does this even make sense to anyone?

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If anyone thinks I’m saying the Bills should “ignore” defense they are taking an overly simplistic view of my post and this thread.  My overall perspective is that when you have a bell cow at QB, you don’t let him “make do” with what you have; you keep putting more players around him.

On defense the Bills need to upgrade at CB2 and continue searching for impact players on the line.  That is not in dispute.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I never thought they gave him the chance he deserved nor did they use him according to his skills set. Washington can run after the catch and it always seems like they were having him run deep fly routes.

I’m interested also in Will Fuller . Adding Fuller speed to this offense would take us to another level. He needs to rebuild his stock so we can get him relatively cheap. Diggs, Gabe and Fuller would just be dangerous for opposing defenses. We also can start using Diggs more in the slot where he can be nearly as unguardable as Coop Kupp

Does Will Fuller actually PLAY football? I know he's been on rosters, but...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

No to Will Fuller, it's a shiny object I know, but he has a horrible injury history.

Kirk is super interesting.  Inconsistent, but young enough to improve on it.

Berrios is low-key a really interesting upside play.

Crowder could be expensive but one of the best when on his game.  Never got to work with a great QB either.

Chark is not going to command WR1 money from good teams.   There are huge names that are going to command the big dollars.   I would wait it out on him, like Beane knows how, and either someone overspends for him, or we hit him with the 1-2y "prove it" deal.  Young enough to take a deal like that and blast his stats in this offense, potentially win a SB.  Then someone else can pay him stupid money.

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

I can't disagree more with this.  The Bengals won because their defense held the Chefs to 24 points.  The Bills do that, they're going to the SB.

i couldn’t disagree more.

The bengals had the 17th (or 18th in yards) best d in the league.  We had the best (and best) D in the league.  They had a better game plan and a better defense THAT GAME.  We didn’t get whomped on because our D isn’t good (or lesser than Cinci). We lost because our game plan failed.  Losing our best defensive player also contributed.  

surround josh with more and watch this offense become, possibly the best offense in history. Our QB is that good. Allow him to be great week in week out.  The jags fame, we scored 6 points. If we scored 1 TD we win and the KC game would’ve been played in Buffalo…..and we win.  

our offense needs to be better and more consistent considering the stud we have under center. 

there are arguments for both sides and I can understand why people believe in either side, but playing great defense week in week out is much tougher than it is to play great offense each week. Until our offense is undoubtedly the best in the league, we need to continue to give Josh more and more.  Jmo.  Defenses are good one week and bad the next.  The nfl wanted it this way and it IS that way 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He’s projected to get around 12 million a season 

Spotrac's projection on Crowder is off base IMO. Their projection is based on comparison to four recent contracts: Corey Davis, Tim Patrick, Nelson Agholor and Sterling Shephard. That in my view is flawed for the following reasons:

1. The first three of those four are outside receivers. Comparing their market value to the market value of a guy who is strictly a slot receiver makes no sense. 

2. Three of the four - Davis, Patrick and Shephard - were signing their first non-rookie contract in the NFL. The one guy on the list who wasn't - Agholor - was coming off a one year prove it deal with the Raiders. 

3. All four of the players Crowder is compared to were coming off career years at the point they signed their contracts. In comparison, Crowder had the least productive year of his NFL career. 

4. All of those compared are at least 1 year and in all but Agholor's case in reality two years younger than Crowder. Crowder will be 29 by the time the 2022 season commences. The only other one who went into the season after signing their contract aged 28 was Agholor. 

I am willing to be proven wrong and by all means quote this post back to me if I am but if Crowder gets $12m a year I'd be absolutely shocked. He got $9.5m AAV from the Jets when signing there three years ago. I suspect he might struggle even to get that much on the open market this time. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Spotrac's projection on Crowder is off base IMO. Their projection is based on comparison to four recent contracts: Corey Davis, Tim Patrick, Nelson Agholor and Sterling Shephard. That in my view is flawed for the following reasons:

1. The first three of those four are outside receivers. Comparing their market value to the market value of a guy who is strictly a slot receiver makes no sense. 

2. Three of the four - Davis, Patrick and Shephard - were signing their first non-rookie contract in the NFL. The one guy on the list who wasn't - Agholor - was coming off a one year prove it deal with the Raiders. 

3. All four of the players Crowder is compared to were coming off career years at the point they signed their contracts. In comparison, Crowder had the least productive year of his NFL career. 

4. All of those compared are at least 1 year and in all but Agholor's case in reality two years younger than Crowder. Crowder will be 29 by the time the 2022 season commences. The only other one who went into the season after signing their contract aged 28 was Agholor. 

I am willing to be proven wrong and by all means quote this post back to me if I am but if Crowder gets $12m a year I'd be absolutely shocked. He got $9.5m AAV from the Jets when signing there three years ago. I suspect he might struggle even to get that much on the open market this time. 

You could very well be right i was just basing it off their projected numbers which they are usually right on or very close to

I'm not a fan of Troy Aikman, but I did like his line "Your passing game is only as good as your third receiver." 

Get another stud in here to complement Diggs and Davis.  I assume Beasley is gone, despite Beane's comments to the contrary.

I'd love Mike Williams.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

The bengals had the 17th (or 18th in yards) best d in the league.  We had the best (and best) D in the league.  They had a better game plan and a better defense THAT GAME.  We didn’t get whomped on because our D isn’t good (or lesser than Cinci). We lost because our game plan failed.  Losing our best defensive player also contributed.  

surround josh with more and watch this offense become, possibly the best offense in history. Our QB is that good. Allow him to be great week in week out.  The jags fame, we scored 6 points. If we scored 1 TD we win and the KC game would’ve been played in Buffalo…..and we win.  

our offense needs to be better and more consistent considering the stud we have under center. 

there are arguments for both sides and I can understand why people believe in either side, but playing great defense week in week out is much tougher than it is to play great offense each week. Until our offense is undoubtedly the best in the league, we need to continue to give Josh more and more.  Jmo.  Defenses are good one week and bad the next.  The nfl wanted it this way and it IS that way 

I think the key point is that for three of four halves across the Divisional and Conference round games Patrick Mahomes was unstoppable. I give credit to Cincy that they made some adjustments at half time but the reality of what happened is Patrick Mahomes played an atrocious half of football in that 2nd half. There are time when Mahomes is on when it doesn't matter what you do on defense. Similar to when Josh Allen is on and the greatest defensive mind in the game in the hoodie has no answer. Do the Bills still lack a stud on defense who might make that one big play in a game like that? Sure. Especially without Tre. But relying on that to be the difference when Mahomes is on won't be enough. You have to score with them. And the Bills likely have Sanders, Beasley and McKenzie walking out of the door, they still only have one serviceable tight end, an oline with multiple question marks and a solid but not difference making running back. They have to keep stacking blockers and weapons. There are defensive players I can make an argument for in round 1 - but it depends what the board looks like and if that is the direction they go then they need to load up on offense in rounds 2, 3, 4 and FA. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Our passing offense was too good last year to pay even a mid-sized contract to a WR. We're tight against the cap and have bigger needs. The Bills will have plenty of opportunities in the draft to add a speed WR that can play the slot. In FA we likely need replacements at CB, DL, and IOL.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

No to Will Fuller, it's a shiny object I know, but he has a horrible injury history.

Kirk is super interesting.  Inconsistent, but young enough to improve on it.

Berrios is low-key a really interesting upside play.

Crowder could be expensive but one of the best when on his game.  Never got to work with a great QB either.

Chark is not going to command WR1 money from good teams.   There are huge names that are going to command the big dollars.   I would wait it out on him, like Beane knows how, and either someone overspends for him, or we hit him with the 1-2y "prove it" deal.  Young enough to take a deal like that and blast his stats in this offense, potentially win a SB.  Then someone else can pay him stupid money.

The Bills have maybe the best training staff and facilities in the NFL . We can get Fuller healthy and he would be a dangerous weapon for us . I’m not saying break the bank for him I’m talking a 1yr 3mil deal anymore then that I wouldn’t pay. Btw hasn’t Chark been hurt often these last few yrs himself? I wouldn’t mind Chark I just think Fuller would be more of a threat with Allen . We seen what Fuller can be with a good QB and Allen is much better then Watson in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed.  No way Crowder gets 12M a year. I read an article that projected Mike Williams 3 years 27M.  Not that that means anything, but a slot WR isn’t gonna get that much cash, racially after being injured off and on for the entire duration of his previous contract  he was hurt every year.

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

You could very well be right i was just basing it off their projected numbers which they are usually right on or very close to

Spotrac are a decent, but they get their fair share wrong - they were $3m per year off on Matt Milano's deal for example. Their comparisons are very pure production numbers based and age, scheme versatility, whether they are trending up or down don't always factor in enough. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the key point is that for three of four halves across the Divisional and Conference round games Patrick Mahomes was unstoppable. I give credit to Cincy that they made some adjustments at half time but the reality of what happened is Patrick Mahomes played an atrocious half of football in that 2nd half. There are time when Mahomes is on when it doesn't matter what you do on defense. Similar to when Josh Allen is on and the greatest defensive mind in the game in the hoodie has no answer. Do the Bills still lack a stud on defense who might make that one big play in a game like that? Sure. Especially without Tre. But relying on that to be the difference when Mahomes is on won't be enough. You have to score with them. And the Bills likely have Sanders, Beasley and McKenzie walking out of the door, they still only have one serviceable tight end, an oline with multiple question marks and a solid but not difference making running back. They have to keep stacking blockers and weapons. There are defensive players I can make an argument for in round 1 - but it depends what the board looks like and if that is the direction they go then they need to load up on offense in rounds 2, 3, 4 and FA. 

Perfectly stated.  Per usual .  

Mahomes’ suckage was the biggest contributor for the chiefs scoring 24 points.    We need to outscore KC.  Counting on your D to stop them or hoping that Mahomes sucks isn’t a sounds game plan.  We have Josh Allen, we’re capable of out scoring them….especially if we give him weapons/OL equal to what Mahomes has.  Our weapons pale in comparison.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the key point is that for three of four halves across the Divisional and Conference round games Patrick Mahomes was unstoppable. I give credit to Cincy that they made some adjustments at half time but the reality of what happened is Patrick Mahomes played an atrocious half of football in that 2nd half. There are time when Mahomes is on when it doesn't matter what you do on defense.

Mahomes played very well against the Steelers but they stopped him on 6 consecutive drives to start the game because of their pass rush. That is how you beat every elite QB in NFL history. Rush 4 and get pressure, and turn the pressure into a sack or throwaway. Mahomes was unstoppable against us because we didn't have any finishers in the front 4. My actual ideal scenario for the 1st round is that we trade ours for a proven edge rusher, but I haven't seen any names that might be available.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We'll agree to disagree.  I just can't see expecting the offense to have to score more than 36 points to win a game as sustainable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.