McDermott end of season press conference

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

That’s exactly what they should do.  Build on your greatest strength. Pretty sure they’ll instead draft a defensive lineman who will do nothing to help us beat KC…

I don't know... locking up with the tackle and letting him ride you 10 yards past the QB every play isn't helpful?

5 minutes ago, Process said:

So he refuses to give any answers regarding the kickoff. Fine. 

Did he provide any detail on what the hell they were doing on defense the final two plays? Why they rushed four d lineman? Why they were protecting the sidelines? Why they were playing 20 yards off? Anything?

So inexcusable. 

He doesn't owe you a detailed explanation. He has stated over and over that what transpired over those 13 seconds "starts with him." He doesn't need to do anything more than start looking forward to how they can learn from this and do the things that are necessary to be a better team next year. They tried their best and came up short.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

He doesn't owe you a detailed explanation. He has stated over and over that what transpired over those 13 seconds "starts with him." He doesn't need to do anything more than start looking forward to how they can learn from this and do the things that are necessary to be a better team next year. They tried their best and came up short.

Oh, goodie, I feel better now. As long as they tried their best!

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lmao.  Really?  We traded a first for Diggs, traded up twice for Allen, traded up for Ford, drafted Devin, Knox, Davis, Brown, etc.  

But please, tell us all again how we only focused on defense the last 5 years.  

Offense was unstoppable in the playoffs and defense didn’t get the job done against KC.  Yet you’re somehow opposed to addressing the defense?

Geezus this place is off he rails right now

The Offense was unstoppable in the Playoffs, in part, because Josh Allen Unleashed is a viable option when it comes time to do or die.

It's not viable to play him like we did against KC, game in/game out.   

This game needs to be played in Orchard Park next year.  To get there, we need to aim for the 1 seed and win the necessary games needed in the regular season.  

If we want to draft a RD1 CB, I'm good with it.  That makes complete sense, and I believe helps us beat KC.   After that, when it comes to FA and the Draft, unless there's some magic to be made to bring in an elite level pass rusher... for the love of God, give Josh Allen the necessary help for an 18 week Regular Season.  That means the rest of the offseason focus should be on bolstering the OL and more speed on Offense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

I don't know... locking up with the tackle and letting him ride you 10 yards past the QB every play isn't helpful?

It’s amazing to me how many Bills fans want to double-down on the failed strategy of using our top picks on defense to try to beat Mahomes…

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

He really hasn't gotten better in 5 years, I'm not sure what's going to change now. He coached scared in last year's game in KC as well. He's still horrible with timeout usage 5 years later. He still has that deer in the headlights look in the biggest moments of the game and screwed up with the squib and the scheme late. Also 5 years in and his D can't come up with a big stop late. This is also so much about preparation. Just like his first year vs the Colts when he didn't know that a tie would have eliminated us from the playoffs and punted late, he wasn't prepared for the 4th and short decisions last year and wasn't prepared for the late situation this year. 

Credit to him for being part of the decision to draft #17, no doubt about that. But if we stop holding the standard to comparing this team to the teams of the drought and look at it in the sense of what can we do to maximize this time we have with an elite QB, I'd want a coach that matches the preparation and fearlessness of Josh. 

You mean like what we saw in the wild card game against the Patriots*?

This is such a weak take.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A point.  But I think you understand exactly what I mean.

I understand why people are upset. I'm a bit upset. Some of us have more constructive ways of expressing our emotions. And some of us do not. 

During the season I was personally getting pissed off at the doom and gloom posters. They annoyed me to no end. Others seemed much better at ignoring them than I was. Now that the season is over, in the way that it ended, the absurd takes aren't getting to me at all. 

I guess it's just easier for me to accept this post mortem period, understanding that people are going to express their anger and frustration in what ever way makes sense to them. Even if it makes no sense to me. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The Offense was unstoppable in the Playoffs, in part, because Josh Allen Unleashed is a viable option when it comes time to do or die.

It's not viable to play him like we did against KC, game in/game out.   

This game needs to be played in Orchard Park next year.  To get there, we need to aim for the 1 seed and win the necessary games needed in the regular season.  

If we want to draft a RD1 CB, I'm good with it.  That makes complete sense, and I believe helps us beat KC.   After that, when it comes to FA and the Draft, unless there's some magic to be made to bring in an elite level pass rusher... for the love of God, give Josh Allen the necessary help for an 18 week Regular Season.  That means the rest of the offseason focus should be on bolstering the OL and more speed on Offense.  

Im not saying to address only one of the other.  I’m saying it’s utterly ridiculous to come on here (not you, the poster I quoted) and claim we have only focused on defense the last 5 years and therefore it’s a mistake to give any attention the defense this off-season.  

We absolutely need to also address the OL.  I disagree we need more speed, our offense was plenty explosive.  I’m all for more speed, just saying the Achilles heal on offense was always our OL more than anything.  Fix that and we are all the top offense in the NFL next year.  

We have needs to address on both sides of the ball this off-season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

How can anyone guarantee this type of ***** show does not happen again?  No excuses and one of the assistants should be fired,  the problem I see is the Pegulas are too soft and not asking Sean WTF were you and your assistants thinking .   How much money did Terry & Kim lose from not hosting ACF title game Sunday? 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lmao.  Really?  We traded a first for Diggs, traded up twice for Allen, traded up for Ford, drafted Devin, Knox, Davis, Brown, etc.  

But please, tell us all again how we only focused on defense the last 5 years.  

Offense was unstoppable in the playoffs and defense didn’t get the job done against KC.  Yet you’re somehow opposed to addressing the defense?

Geezus this place is off he rails right now

We’ll let’s take a look tre White, you mention Allen okay did you know they traded back into the first round for Edmunds the next year Ed Oliver, you mentioned Diggs his first pick that year was Aj the next year was Greg.
Now if you don’t know what they play let me enlighten you 1 corner 2 middle Linebacker 3 Defensive Tackle 4 Defensive End 5 Defensive End the last 5 years all with in the first two rounds All with there first selection except Josh Edmunds came with the second first round pick.

Chances are almost 100% that Chiefs are going to try to get into FG range, not a TD. So you play normal defense there. Maybe 1 safety way back. 

The big play is really the first one with 13 seconds left. They are going to try to get around 20 yards. Even if they want to throw a hail mary the next play, they are going to want 20-25 yards the first play to set it up. They aren't going deep on play #1. Way too risky and then they're basically screwed if it doesn't work being 75 yards away with like 7 seconds left. 

So you play it like it's 4th and 20. Don't let them get an easy one there. If they go over the top and somehow beat you then they beat you. It's way, way, high risk for them. Like I said, one thing goes wrong for them there and it's 2nd and 10 at their own 25 with 6-7 seconds left. Then what? 

You stop them on 1st down with 13 seconds and you win the game. 

We played like it was 4th and 20 and we were fine with them picking it up. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Going to be unbearable here for a while. 

You might not understand or agree, but there is something therapeutic about it…people here are extremely passionate about this team, and what we witnessed Sunday night was unprecedented and shocking…damn right, there’s going to be anger and frustration, not all of it rational…

6 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

How can anyone guarantee this type of ***** show does not happen again?  No excuses and one of the assistants should be fired

Nobody can ever give guarantees on how a game will turn out.

Nobody made any excuses.

Nobody needs to be fired.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

You might not understand or agree, but there is something therapeutic about it…people here are extremely passionate about this team, and what we witnessed Sunday night was unprecedented and shocking…damn right, there’s going to be anger and frustration, not all of it rational…

People I was with were crying when we scored with 13 seconds left

Every f...ing fan is completely justified in wanting heads to roll.  Rational or not 

To anyone ticked off or embarrassed by that too freaking bad.   

It will sink in for them at some point.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

You’re right, and Sunday was shocking. I tend to look at things differently, perhaps more optimistically, though. 

We have an elite 25 year old QB. He’s years away from even being in his prime. We’re going to be contenders every year. I also think McD is a top 10 HC. 

We have the two hardest positions figured out. We’re going to be fine. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

We’ll let’s take a look tre White, you mention Allen okay did you know they traded back into the first round for Edmunds the next year Ed Oliver, you mentioned Diggs his first pick that year was Aj the next year was Greg.
Now if you don’t know what they play let me enlighten you 1 corner 2 middle Linebacker 3 Defensive Tackle 4 Defensive End 5 Defensive End the last 5 years all with in the first two rounds All with there first selection except Josh Edmunds came with the second first round pick.

Allen, Diggs, Devin, Knox, Moss, Ford, Brown.  

Guess you missed those.  Also missed the fact that teams are built all over the draft, not just first two rounds.  Also missed all the offensive free agent signings.

We have actually addressed offense as much or more than defense.  You just want to cherry pick certain picks while ignoring other draft picks, free agents, and trades.

You are literally factually incorrect.  Not even opinion conversation, there are literally no facts that support your case we have only addressed the defense for 5 years.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Every f...ing fan is completely justified in wanting heads to roll.  Rational or not 

Expressing your irrational desires to make everyone pay for how you feel is your right. That is different than being justified.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I understand why people are upset. I'm a bit upset. Some of us have more constructive ways of expressing our emotions. And some of us do not. 

During the season I was personally getting pissed off at the doom and gloom posters. They annoyed me to no end. Others seemed much better at ignoring them than I was. Now that the season is over, in the way that it ended, the absurd takes aren't getting to me at all. 

I guess it's just easier for me to accept this post mortem period, understanding that people are going to express their anger and frustration in what ever way makes sense to them. Even if it makes no sense to me.

I certainly get being upset and expressing upset.  We're certainly aware of the need to vent in the Mod Corral here, which is why we're only making the faintest interest to curb outlandish threads and the very worst of abusive takes.

But to me, it's pretty telling if people can't control their upset enough to be a little more rational with it.   I don't think it's OK to call for people to be abused or to abase themselves.  That's not justified.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You’re right, and Sunday was shocking. I tend to look at things differently, perhaps more optimistically, though. 

We have an elite 25 year old QB. He’s years away from even being in his prime. We’re going to be contenders every year. I also think McD is a top 10 HC. 

I get jolted back to this when I listen to national media or our local media here in Ohio. Today they said the Bills are the second best team in the nfl and ended up losing to the 1st best team in the divisional round. They got in a shootout with mahomes and could have won but didn’t, no one else would have either, and that’s the story. They enter next year again as the 2nd best team because of Allen, and will only get better in the off-season. I tend to agree with this, essentially because the stability at coordinator can sometimes get stale. Maybe the changes will be an upgrade. I also think we can upgrade our personnel with those who come and go In FA, plus we have all our draft picks in a very deep draft. We also get Tre White back who imo would have very much a factor on Sunday. He would never have committed that DPI that Dane Jackson did. KC went after him relentlessly and white would have adjusted better to kelsey. 

I think the brutality of how the game ended is exacerbated by similar game ending heartbreak that Buffalo fans have endured for so long. Of being “so close”. But this is it’s own unique  situation and team, and not rolled into all of those. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Allen, Diggs, Devin, Knox, Moss, Ford, Brown.  

Guess you missed those.  Also missed the fact that teams are built all over the draft, not just first two rounds.  Also missed all the offensive free agent signings.

We have actually addressed offense as much or more than defense.  You just want to cherry pick certain picks while ignoring other draft picks, free agents, and trades.

You are literally factually incorrect.  Not even opinion conversation, there are literally no facts that support your case we have only addressed the defense for 5 years.

Alpha, this has been discussed here.  @BADOLBILZ posted some analysis on it, I posted some analysis on it.  And there are different ways of looking at it.

-If you want to look at draft pick investment, you can look at (say) picks in the top 3 rounds since 2018 and say it's roughly equal between offense and defense.  6 picks on defense, 7 on offense.  If you want to go back to 2017, 7 picks on defense, 9 picks on offense (These are both counting the trade for Diggs as a 1st round pick)

-Another way to look at it though, is that we have 1 (or 2, counting Diggs trade) first round pick on Offense.  We have 3 on Defense.  Then if you look at FA acquisition, we have signed an additional 3 former first round picks on D - and Zero former first round picks on O

It's certainly incorrect that "we have ONLY addressed the defense for 5 years" .

But I think it's a fair POV that we have WEIGHTED our investment, through FA acquisitions and top draft picks, towards defense the last 5 years

It does not help that two of our second round picks on offense Zay Jones and Cody Ford, appear to be busts (and possibly a 3rd round pick on offense in Moss).

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure what's worse at this point:

The fact that the Bills lost in heartbreaking fashion at the very end of the game, or watching so many of my fellow Bills fans and fellow TBDians reveal themselves to be absolute tools.

I’m not the one who let the moment get too big for him. 

That was Sean

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I’m not the one who let the moment get too big for him. 

That was Sean

They played 2 deep safeties at our OWN 25 with 8 seconds left and rushed 4.  

They did that because they were worried Hill was going to bust one if they played it too tight - that Mahomes would have hit him on a deep crosser to the house.   

Nothing else about that last sequence makes any freaking sense.  

Their fears weren't wrong but time was on our side - let Mahomes sit in the pocket facing only 2 rushers sit 2 deep back but you still have 7 underneath jamming and not letting them free.

It's that simple and should have come after a kick return.

This is so much more simple then deciding to go for it on 4th down it's just stunning.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

When he continues to say execution I think he is putting blame on the entire team not an individual. Like it was chaos that last 13 seconds but it shouldn't have gotten to that point 

Like was kicking it out of bounds a mistake? if it was you still only have 13 seconds to kill. You should still be able to do that

But the word execution does scare me that McDermott doesn't know or doesn't think mistakes strategically were made. Which there were many in that 13 seconds 

McD doesn't throw anyone under the bus, coaches or players in any presser - which is why players love to play for him. I'm sure there is accountability and asschewing in private, but you don't publicly drive the bus over them

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

or watching so many of my fellow Bills fans and fellow TBDians reveal themselves to be absolute tools.

You're a mod here and have been on this board a long time - how do you not know who is a tool or not yet?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

They played 2 deep safeties at our OWN 25 with 8 seconds left and rushed 4.  

They did that because they were worried Hill was going to bust one if they played it too tight - that Mahomes would have hit him on a deep crosser to the house.   

Nothing else about that last sequence makes any freaking sense.  

Their fears weren't wrong but time was on our side - let Mahomes sit in the pocket facing only 2 rushers sit 2 deep back but you still have 7 underneath jamming and not letting them free.

It's that simple and should have come after a kick return.

This is so much more simple then deciding to go for it on 4th down it's just stunning.  

I agree with the point about Hill.  I think his speed freaked them out.  Which, of course, is why it would have been a good plan to simple tackle him on the final offensive play of regulation.  Take the 5 and roll the dice on a jump ball in the end zone.  Which, of course, didn’t go so well once last year.  But whatever.  We agree that we played scared in the last sequence of regulation. 

57 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Totally agree with this.  I wish fans on this board would follow the example of that 25 year old QB.  In his interviews with the press, not once did he point the finger at anyone.  In fact, he said even had things played out differently in those last 13 seconds and in OT, that would not have guaranteed a Bills win.  They are learning from this and moving on.  That is called emotional intelligence.  That is another reason why this QB is as great as he is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.