It’s time to trade for an Edge Rusher

BillMafia716ix

It’s time for Brandon Beane to dip into that bag and bring an edge rusher to Buffalo. We desperately need a playmaker on the edge. It’s been too long. 

Mahomes ability to extend plays hurt us bad. I know we have Rousseau..but with Jerry Hughes aging. They need a player that the offense has to account for every snap. Right now we don’t have that guy. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1.  Yes.  

2.  Don't let him try to draft one.  That failed in amazing fashion.  

3.  Why didn't he trade for Von Miller?  That would have made a huge difference last night. But Bean stood pat, and should have to answer for it.  

Some good FAs out there (Chandler Jones) that would improve this unit.  Draft a 1T, and this DL could be almost very good if Rousseau improves.  

• Like (+1) 2

After watching Von Miller bear down and harass Brady all day yesterday, I came to the same conclusion.   The Rams have a type of defense that could give the Chiefs more problems than most others.   Their ability to get to the QB is one of their strengths and the way Miller is playing now he changes how effective they are.

There are a few good Edge Rushers to be had, Chandler Jones and both Von Miller are UFA's, these two should be heavily considered.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Agreed. Need that playmaking, gamechanging, plan around him kind of guy.

What gives me hope is Beane keeps drafting DEs high & went after the likes of JJ Watt. 

I hope he stops just drafting random guys like Basham.  I'm fine with Groot, he has elite talent but he is a tall dude and pass rushers have a lot of room to block him.  

1 minute ago, Magox said:

After watching Von Miller bear down and harass Brady all day yesterday, I came to the same conclusion.   The Rams have a type of defense that could give the Chiefs more problems than most others.   Their ability to get to the QB is one of their strengths and the way Miller is playing now he changes how effective they are.

There are a few good Edge Rushers to be had, Chandler Jones and both Von Miller are UFA's, these two should be heavily considered.

get them BOTH.  

Mahomes was an extraordinary talent yesterday, suck it up and give credit where it is due.

If we had this mythical  great Edge Rushers it wouldn't have made much difference, Mahomes is too quick and too slippery, he was a magician running.  He got away multiple times and would have gotten away regardless.

And now we all got a little taste of what it is like for other teams to face Allen.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Mahomes was an extraordinary talent yesterday, suck it up and give credit where it is due.

If we had this mythical  great Edge Rushers it wouldn't have made much difference, Mahomes is too quick and too slippery, he was a magician running.  He got away multiple times and would have gotten away regardless.

And now we all got a little taste of what it is like for other teams to face Allen.

They came so close all night he must have felt their breath on his neck ;) 

That guy is as slippery as a greased pig. ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Seemed like our defenders continually pressured from the left & right and allowed Mahomes to have the middle of the field. 

Yes, if anything too often our edge rushers got the pressure and were too far behind the line of scrimmage to catch up to Mahomes.  That one long run he had in their first drive is an excellent example of that, if anything we over pursued, the middle of the feild was comically wide open..

• Like (+1) 1

It's interesting how hesitant Beane has been to add established talent to put the team over the top for a SB. 

Contrast that with teams like the Rams, Cardinals, and of course the Chiefs. Not saying we need to be as aggressive at burning picks and cap as the Rams are, but we've spent multiple high picks on our pass rush and it's still as inadequate as it was last year. 

We need at least one game-changer at edge and we needed it yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane elected to sit on his hands and trusted his coaches to get the most out of the players he'd drafted and signed.

That didn't work.

The two teams that will represent in the Super Bowl (Rams and Chiefs) were aggressive and it paid off.  Chiefs acquired Orlando Brown via a draft weekend trade and then made an in-season trade for Melvin Ingram who added a spark to their defense (and allowed Jones to kick back inside).  Rams - well, you all know what they've done.

Beane and McDermott have done a neat little job taking a downtrodden team and raising expectations.  Now it's time to stop running it like a car dealership and make winning a Super Bowl the ONLY goal.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Wait so what don’t you like about Basham?

what do you like about Basham.  He did nothing this year, and was picked instead of players like Creed Humphry (all pro OL).  Forgot about Epenesea also, horrid pick.    

9 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Can we afford that?

Why not see what Groot can do next year?

1.  we can afford it.  

2.  we said the same thing about AJ last year.  Let's see what he does.  Did nothing.  Hope is not a strategy for winning.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

100% we need a real pass rusher.  our d line rotation killed us.

the athletic pointed out we had our top line (addison, houghs, oliver and i think star) and held them to some incompletes, then we stuffed in our 2nd line (groot, aj, phillips and obadabadoo) and let up the long hill TD.  we have too much money spread too far out, we simply need some playmakers, and our only play maker on D had a torn acl this season.

our d scheme and construction needs an overhaul.  the good thing is altho we will lsoe our 1st ranking, it's for jack since we get trucked when it matters.

Chandler Jones in FA would be nice, Von Miller could be had as well. Akiem Hicks possibly for some interior push

Via trade you need to look at a team that is going to be rebuilding and has a vet that may want a change of scenery. Khalil Mack would seem like a good fit here in that regard.

Needless to say though I agree. We need an impact pass rusher, one where teams line up and go, we have to be aware of where he is. This would allow us to dictate to offenses and create better matchups

Trying to think of who else may be a good trade candidate....

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Beane elected to sit on his hands and trusted his coaches to get the most out of the players he'd drafted and signed.

That didn't work.

The two teams that will represent in the Super Bowl (Rams and Chiefs) were aggressive and it paid off.  Chiefs acquired Orlando Brown via a draft weekend trade and then made an in-season trade for Melvin Ingram who added a spark to their defense (and allowed Jones to kick back inside).  Rams - well, you all know what they've done.

Beane and McDermott have done a neat little job taking a downtrodden team and raising expectations.  Now it's time to stop running it like a car dealership and make winning a Super Bowl the ONLY goal.

We were literally 10 seconds away from everybody saying how it actually DID WORK.

And now your conclusion is that Chiefs were aggressive and it paid of and we've done everything wrong. 

Funny (actually not funny obviously) how 10 seconds change whole narrative for so many people.

Melvin Ingram was a non-factor today. Orlando Brown didn't make a difference today. This wasn't about what we and Chiefs have done in the offseason. This was about our tackling, our bad coaching last 13 seconds and sick abilities of Mahomes, Hill and Kelce. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

This. They were getting to him, but Mahomes is just so friggin' good it makes it look like we weren't getting there. We were. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

what do you like about Basham.  He did nothing this year, and was picked instead of players like Creed Humphry (all pro OL).  Forgot about Epenesea also, horrid pick.    

1.  we can afford it.  

2.  we said the same thing about AJ last year.  Let's see what he does.  Did nothing.  Hope is not a strategy for winning.  

Honestly... let players develop.  What were we saying about Singletary, Knox and Taron Johnson not long ago?  People were ready to cut Singletary just 6 games ago and Knox at the end of last year.  Everyone spent the whole offseason screaming for Ertz.  

There's no good reason to be that dismissive of players based just on their rookie year.  Maybe we have firm conclusions about Cody Ford at this point, but let some of these others develop and grow.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Oh and while we are talking about narratives - so its edge rusher now huh?

6-8 weeks ago this board was full of people claiming that OL is the major problem, and how everybody except Beane knew it from the beginning.

Now I count almost zero posts talking about OL, and suddenly we are back talking about edge rushers and CB2.

I am not saying Beane did everything right. My point is that people are moving goalposts after every single game and blame him for underestimating just about every unit, depending on the outcome of each specific game. He is not playing Madden unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, cage said:

Honestly... let players develop.  What were we saying about Singletary, Knox and Taron Johnson not long ago?  People were ready to cut Singletary just 6 games ago and Knox at the end of last year.  Everyone spent the whole offseason screaming for Ertz.  

There's no good reason to be that dismissive of players based just on their rookie year.  Maybe we have firm conclusions about Cody Ford at this point, but let some of these others develop and grow.

We're talking about a player who can change the direction of a game on DL, not decent types like those 3 you mentioned.  They're all OK, but not difference makers.

McD wants 8-9 Dlinemen who he can rotate because that's his out-dated scheme and he doesn't know anything else.  But it'd be nice to have a real pass rusher who can get to the QB rather than 2-3 JAGs like McD thinks as a rotation is better than 1 elite type. 

4 minutes ago, cage said:

Singletary is Nyheim Hines. We need a Jonathan Taylor

32 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes, if anything too often our edge rushers got the pressure and were too far behind the line of scrimmage to catch up to Mahomes.  That one long run he had in their first drive is an excellent example of that, if anything we over pursued, the middle of the feild was comically wide open..

If you watch the highlight you can see Hyde get pulled out of the middle because he was going to double Kelce.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

9 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yeah sure, lets pay him more than J Allen.  

This Board today has collectively lost their minds.

I’m not talking about dollars price tag. You certainly aren’t paying the guy 40 million per year. Im talking about draft picks. If you can shake a top pass rusher loose for 3 first rounders, you do it. 

37 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

1.  Yes.  

2.  Don't let him try to draft one.  That failed in amazing fashion.  

3.  Why didn't he trade for Von Miller?  That would have made a huge difference last night. But Bean stood pat, and should have to answer for it.  

Some good FAs out there (Chandler Jones) that would improve this unit.  Draft a 1T, and this DL could be almost very good if Rousseau improves.  

Von Miller was a 2nd and 3rd pick IIRC. Plus wouldn't shock me if the Broncos wanted to deal him out of the AFC.

Melvin Ingram, on the other hand cost the Chiefs a 6th. There was where the value was.

9 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Singletary is Nyheim Hines. We need a Jonathan Taylor

More than that..we need Quentin Nelson, Ryan Kelly and Braden Smith.

JT is great. But without them he's Devin Singletary.

6 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Von Miller was a 2nd and 3rd pick IIRC. Plus wouldn't shock me if the Broncos wanted to deal him out of the AFC.

Melvin Ingram, on the other hand cost the Chiefs a 6th. There was where the value was.

More than that..we need Quentin Nelson, Ryan Kelly and Braden Smith.

JT is great. But without them he's Devin Singletary.

Go watch Taylor at Wisconsin. He didn't have any of those players there. He was their entire offense and they still couldn't stop him

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

It’s time for Brandon Beane to dip into that bag and bring an edge rusher to Buffalo. We desperately need a playmaker on the edge. It’s been too long. 

Mahomes ability to extend plays hurt us bad. I know we have Rousseau..but with Jerry Hughes aging. They need a player that the offense has to account for every snap. Right now we don’t have that guy. 

Our d-line had endless opportunities to get sacks last night but not one of them other than Oliver seem to have that required closing speed when Mahomes was within reach. It was the difference in the game, end of the day Beane should cut both Klein/Star and sign a play making player.  Fans bragging about out #1 defence should look closer to see which top QB's the Bills faced this season and what they did in those games. 

• Like (+1) 3

I think the Mack idea has legs. He was hurt this year. Plus there will be a new GM and coach and they do not have a first round pick. So whoever the new GM is will want to recover a pick. Now is Mack worth a late first at this point? I would say yes for us. It is the perfect fit. 

I mentioned Bradley Chubb in another thread Again new coach coming in, a guy who will be on a fifth year option who needs a change of scenery. I mentioned doing Edmunds for Chubb. Now I don't know if he is really the answer. He was terrible this year, and hurt. 

WFT...I'd target Montez Sweat. Will they part with him? Maybe not. But they won't be able to pay all of those guys. They don't have to worry about it yet, but I'd trade my first for him in a heartbeat. They also need a linebacker very badly. Do they like Edmunds? 

Outside of that, you have to look to other teams who will have a ton of turnover and will want to bring in "their own" guys. Or you look to the draft and hope you get a Watt type at the tail end of the first. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BTB said:

There is this thing called a salary cap. Where are the Bills going to find said "edge rusher", and IMO, they have bigger areas of need at least from a draft point of view...IOL, CB and WR.

I believe cutting Addison and Star alone will pay for a good chunk of an incoming edge rushers salary. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.