Offensive Line

Buffalo Barbarian

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Since Ryan Bates has playing guard the Oline has been a revelation. Is not as big of a priority that we thought most of the season?

(Also what's with the Rick Bates story?)

i was going to post something similar. It’s not just the interior play either— both tackles have been playing so much better also. 

I think you have scheme and talent and execution coming together at the same time. 

(Don’t think they had a single penalty on them either). 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i was going to post something similar. It’s not just the interior play either— both tackles have been playing so much better also. 

I think you have scheme and talent and execution coming together at the same time. 

(Don’t think they had a single penalty on them either). 

Makes me wonder if they changed the style of play for the line too ?

I think they keep Williams and make the move to RG permanent and they tender Bates at the lowest level (right of first refusal, ~$2.4M).  The big question is whether Morse retires, as someone has suggested he might.  If he does, they need to find a new center.  If not, bring him back. 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Since Ryan Bates has playing guard the Oline has been a revelation. Is not as big of a priority that we thought most of the season?

Always build the OL but Bates is just a great fit. It's not shocking to me that he's playing well, he always looked the part when he played. 

The biggest thing with OL right now is movement. They all move well. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/12/just-call-him-rick-bills-ryan-bates-creating-buzz-having-time-of-his-life.html

Shortly after Ryan Bates was traded to the Buffalo Bills from the Philadelphia Eagles back in 2019, Nate Becker - a tight end who spent a few seasons on their practice squad - started calling him Rick.

Nobody really knows the origin of the name. Becker never really explained it to anybody. Bates, a generally agreeable fellow, never protested.

Dawson Knox guesses it’s because Bates looks like a Rick.

There is probably also a play where he is lined as a extra blocker not guard and when Josh says "Rick! Rick! Rick!" he knows it is a play for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Sounds like they switched the OL blocking scheme. Singletary has looked fantastic.

You would think they would have figured this out sooner.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yes they definitely changed up scheme. Protections have changed and run blocking schemes have changed. A lot more movement. 

Im not familiar with the technical details of offense line play or blocking schemes, but i like what they are doing now.

Bates has certainly helped but I think the Oline finally has been consistent. They had been shuffling around all season. Ford got swapped out and Mongo got hurt then Spencer Brown got hurt and Covid. Dawkins also missed a game or two. 

They finally have their best 5 out there and playing together. I always thought D Williams and Brown on the right side were good and Dawkins and Mitch quality players. So they just needed to play those 4 together and find someone at least decent at left guard. 

With Bates they found that left guard and the Oline has played better with a level of consistency. Assuming this team plays KC next week we will see how well the Oline can handle Jones on the interior.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Makes me wonder if they changed the style of play for the line too ?

Thank god Dabol is pulling lineman so much more these last 4 weeks. Bates has been great and Brown/Dawkins were monsters tonight. The whole OL was amazing and deserves major props.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Having Tommy Doyle next to Spencer Brown and Darryl Williams in those extra OL sets doesn’t hurt either! But yes, Bates is awesome. I would argue that he is a better player than Feliciano and Boettger 100%.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was thinking that during the game. Would be nice if we didn't need to spend a lot a capital on the line. Still pick mid rounders and develop but maybe no pressing need.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I was thinking that during the game. Would be nice if we didn't need to spend a lot a capital on the line. Still pick mid rounders and develop but maybe no pressing need.

I'd do like they did this year and take mid-round athletic freaks at OG/C.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I liked the plays where they used 3 pulling linemen with Josh or Motor running off tackle. All those big bodies moving at speed reminded me of a herd of buffalos running down and trampling everything in their path.  Thundering Herd.

Morse, Bates, and Brown. So much agility and the coaches found ways to use it. 

The 3rd and 3 QB power run was amazing to watch. Bates sets it up by reaching the DT and stones him. Unbelievable block. Then Morse and Brown get out in space and do their thing. 

There were so many plays like this. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

I never thought they were as bad as they appeared to be.  This OL was great in pass pro last year and we are finally seeing that again.   They also can run block when they decide to.  Not sure what changed but  I don think it is just Bates....I think it was some scheme, some attitude, some getting healthy and some finding the right 5.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

I never thought they were as bad as they appeared to be.  This OL was great in pass pro last year and we are finally seeing that again.   They also can run block when they decide to.  Not sure what changed but  I don think it is just Bates....I think it was some scheme, some attitude, some getting healthy and some finding the right 5.

They've changed their scheming. A lot more movement stuff with the group they have now, specifically Morse, Bates, and Brown. 

Dawkins back to himself obviously helped also.

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

I remember thinking they were just fine last year. That's why I found it hard to second guess McBean's attention to the unit in the off-season.

Was hard to believe they became such a liability midseason

OL has found themselves - and as others have pointed out - they’re finally healthy, figured out the scheme fit, settled on their best 5 and guys are playing more to their potential.  

Josh Allen’s elusiveness also helps.   However, he also extends plays which makes it tougher for them.  Probably offsets each other.  

That said.. this Offense is unstoppable when Josh Allen has time.   I’m still focusing on bringing in a stud interior player in the off-season (in addition to keeping this starting five together if Morse wants to come back).   

I think we can all agree Singletary is legit now that he’s been given the chance to prove himself as the lead back.   Perhaps use that 2nd Round Pick people were projecting as a RB, and use that on a G/C. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

OL has found themselves, and as others have pointed out, they’re finally healthy, settled on their best 5 and guys are playing more to their potential.  

Josh Allen’s elusiveness also helps.   However, he also extends plays which makes it tougher for them.  Probably offsets each other.  

That said.. this Offense is unstoppable when Josh Allen has time.   I’m still focusing on bringing in a stud interior player in the off-season (in addition to keeping this starting five together if Morse wants to come back).   

I think we can all agree Singletary is legit now that he’s been given the chance to prove himself as the lead back.   Perhaps use that 2nd Round Pick people were projecting as a RB, and use that on a G/C. 

Can they afford it though?  I think the best we can hope for is tendering Bates to keep him around for at least another year, hoping Morse continues playing, and drafting an OG/OC somewhere early-ish in the draft.

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

Can they afford it though?  I think the best we can hope for is tendering Bates to keep him around for at least another year, hoping Morse continues playing, and drafting an OG/OC somewhere early-ish in the draft.

I meant through the draft.  That 2nd Round Pick people were banging on the table for a RB would probably be much better used on IOL.  

I think this off-season is probably much like last… just re-signing our own guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.