Saturday Night 1/15 Weather Thread

Rubes

10 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

NFL is fkn idiotic. Night game in Buffalo in January - brilliant, fkn brilliant

I don't understand this line of thinking.  It's Buffalo in January, it's going to be cold.  We should be grateful the Bills are good enough to be hosting a playoff game.  Do we not remember how miserable the drought was?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

It would be awful if the heat to the visitors locker room ceased working as soon as the patriots take the field. I'm sure they'll be looking for a respite from the cold at halftime and if the locker room wasn't any warmer than outside they might lose focus.

Yep. They also might want to bring their own heated benches like the Cowboys did in Wash a few weeks ago.  It's possible someone could trip and "accidently" unplug the cord during the game.

You know if this game were in Foxboro there would be some shenanigans with the Bills setup.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mark92 said:

I don't understand this line of thinking.  It's Buffalo in January, it's going to be cold.  We should be grateful the Bills are good enough to be hosting a playoff game.  Do we not remember how miserable the drought was?

He's just saying that there were game windows with much better weather, like 15 hours later on Sunday at 1pm. Temperatures will be near 30.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Just a couple weeks ago (week 17) Green Bay beat Minnesota in 5 degrees at night.  Just Youtube the highlights if you want to be refreshed.  Rodgers - an elite California QB-  had no major issues throwing the ball.  Josh needs to throw a catchable ball..  Diggs needs to do his best Davante Adams impersonation and make clutch catches.  Buffalo has the better passing game, they need to use it.

Whenever I think of a cold weather game I think of that GB v. NYG NFCCG where it was like -30 with the wind chill. I remember the punter in pregame warm ups saying that after about 5 minutes he couldn't catch the snap anymore. Lucky not much wind, but it is gonna be a cold one!

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

WGRZ says game slated to be the second coldest game in the history of the stadium.

The gold standard for cold winter Bills games in Orchard Park is the 1994 Divisional Playoff game against the then Los Angeles Raiders. That game was played on Saturday, January 15 with a temperature of zero degrees and a wind chill between -10 and -20 degrees.  (We won 29-23).  

The second coldest game in Bills history in Orchard Park was set just a few weeks earlier on December 26, 1993 with a game time temperature of 11 degrees and a wind chill near -10 degrees.   

https://www.wgrz.com/article/weather/buffalo-bills-playoff-game-will-be-one-of-the-coldest-games-ever-in-orchard-park-highmark-stadium/71-9e041aa4-3e06-4421-9cfd-37f04a857ae0

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Whenever I think of a cold weather game I think of that GB v. NYG NFCCG where it was like -30 with the wind chill. I remember the punter in pregame warm ups saying that after about 5 minutes he couldn't catch the snap anymore. Lucky not much wind, but it is gonna be a cold one!

Me too.  And that was a great football game.  A real street fight/slugfest feel to it.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Saw a tweet today where Josh says he has poor circulation and it is difficult for him to keep his toes dry and warm.  Get this man a roof.

some equipment manager should be finding him specialized socks in the meantime.  also, if poor circulation, that would impact his hands as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He's just saying that there were game windows with much better weather, like 15 hours later on Sunday at 1pm. Temperatures will be near 30.

True, but the NFL doesn't care whatsoever about weather when picking the window for each game.

Their ONLY concern is maximizing each viewing window by placing each game in the window where they think it will draw in the most viewers.

Not only that, but from the NFL's perspective, a 0 degree kickoff temperature is a huge win! That's excellent viewing! Many of the sub-zero playoff games throughout NFL history are still talked about to this day, some having nicknames like "the ice bowl" or "the freezer bowl".

So no, the NFL would see no reason at all to try to ensure warmer weather for kickoff. In the ultimate reality show soap opera that is the NFL, Bills vs Pats on a Saturday night on the frozen tundra of Highmark field is appointment viewing.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I know someone was telling me battery heated coats / gloves aren't allowed.  Does anyone know about electric handwarmers?  I actually brought them in for the Colts game and didn't have an issue, but just wanted to make sure I'm not left in the cold.

Stick the battery in your prison purse and you will be fine. Good luck.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Catching the ball when it’s negative degrees can be challenging too

With cold hands sure but these guys spend more than half the game standing next to gigantic industrial heaters lol ball actually deflates in cold temps as we all learned from pats fans repeatedly screaming IDEAL GAS LAW 🤣

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

With cold hands sure but these guys spend more than half the game standing next to gigantic industrial heaters lol ball actually deflates in cold temps as we all learned from pats fans repeatedly screaming IDEAL GAS LAW 🤣

Yeah, I’m sure their hands aren’t cold…..

59 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, I’m sure their hands aren’t cold…..

I’m sure they’re cold but I think we’re exaggerating how much the cold impacts offensive execution…there really isn’t any correlation between cold weather and offensive metrics statistically speaking at least.  It’s not like the fan in the 300 section that had been tailgating in the freezing cold for 4 hours is out there running routes is all I’m saying 😂

24 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m sure they’re cold but I think we’re exaggerating how much the cold impacts offensive execution…there really isn’t any correlation between cold weather and offensive metrics statistically speaking at least.  It’s not like the fan in the 300 section that had been tailgating in the freezing cold for 4 hours is out there running routes is all I’m saying 😂

Looking at josh’s stats in sub freezing temps, I think there is evidence to say our passing offense isn’t as good when it’s cold.  

also-  most “cold games” are 20-30 degrees…..this isn’t a cold game.  This is a sub zero game.  It’s different.  Catching and throwing a ball when it’s minus degrees is different.  The ball itself, is different when it’s that cold.  

hopefully I’m wrong and it’ll be business as usual for our passing game, but I think it’s naive to think that sub zero temps and 5-15 mph winds won’t have any affect on our pass game.

47 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think it will add an extra dimension that will alter a handful of plays from time to time, and they might be significant.

I'm thinking a fumble, a dropped easy catch for a first down to keep a drive alive, or an easy interception that is dropped, all b/c of the cold.  

Not just cold hands---cold football with no compression ability and being a "rock."  

It will definitely totally alter the kicking game--but that's the same for both sides.  

Kickoffs wil be shorter, FGs that are automatic might become "iffy" and punts are likely to be short, maybe resulting in coaches going for it more on 4th down.

22 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

How does it hinder the passing game more though…football gets tougher to grip in cold temps and it’s just as likely we’ll see a run heavy team get a case of fumbilitis as a pass heavy team dropping passes. Not to mention our qb runs like a fb but that’s another story lol 

the scheme the pats have thrown at us offensively one fumble by them would be absolutely catastrophic while a few drops by us likely wouldn’t sink our chances 

I meant bad weather in general, wind and cold just making passing the ball difficult.  

And ya true I guess the cold could make the ball harder to hold on too in the run game if the snow melts and the ball is slick. But I see what your saying, it might not be that windy, it might just be cold. So therefore it might not hinder the passing game. I was expecting higher winds and cold.

Question: How bad would it have to be for local public health and government leaders to step in and say, “No game” in these conditions, because of the threat to peoples' health and welfare? Has that ever happened? I know the NFL rules the world, but at some point a greater concern would have to supersede them. 

A few years ago I was at a major college XC meet with several races. It was unseasonably warm. In the early races several athletes were having issues with the heat. Athletes were passing out all over the place. There were so many ambulances called in, it looked like a parade. About half way through, the meet was shut down because the local hospitals and emergency system was overwhelmed. 

In this case, if holding this event potentially puts too many people in danger, and potentially over-taxes the emergency care system, would or could they, say “no” and force the NFL to reschedule it? 

Edited by CSBill

2 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Question: How bad would it have to be for local public health and government leaders to step in and say, “No game” in these conditions, because of the threat to peoples welfare? Has that ever happened? I know the NFL rules the world, but at some point a greater concern would have to supersede them. 

Well... a -37 windchill didn't do it

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.