Panthers Willing to Listen to Offers for McCaffrey

aristocrat

Just now, Real McNasty said:

His injuries are all different. People need to give the lingering issues a break. He was healthy in college and all his injuries the last couple years are called bad luck. 

He's 25 yrs old and will be fine.

Yes progressively  getting worse the more he is being used... 

38 minutes ago, 97bills said:

I’m willing to bet if you just took him and that contract they would be happy. 

I’m willing to bet that your wrong.  If they trade him for anything at all, I win.  If they trade him for nothing, you win!  Whatcha wanna bet?

7 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

He's broken down at this point.  

But….what if they could bundle him with Luke Kuechly?  Does that win you over?    

😋

RB’s are only worth so much, and only last so long. 

2 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

His injuries are all different. People need to give the lingering issues a break. He was healthy in college and all his injuries the last couple years are called bad luck. 

Dude has missed 23 games in two years. He's not big.  How many games did Thurman miss in his prime (while running up the gut 25 times a game)?

Edited by Momma Pecoraro

The thing is, lets just assume we trade for him or the Chiefs trade for him. Let’s assume he stays healthy for the season, even if he is hurt the following season. If the Bills were to win a super bowl with McC would any really care what he’s owed? I just want a super bowl win. What if he stays healthy and the Chiefs trade for him, there would be no way we could beat them. 

I know it’s a bunch of what ifs, but they are legitimate possibilities. 

I’m not saying to trade for McC, but a healthy McC is a dangerous option to have on an aspiring super bowl team. 

At this point in time, I think it would be worth a gamble considering what a healthy mcc offers. Imagine what this offense could do with a rb like that. Instant super bowl favorites. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

Dude has missed 23 games in two years. He's not big.  How many games did Thurman miss in his prime (while running up the gut 25 times a game)?

You guys like to go back to football 30-50 yrs ago when times were totally different around player safety and health. Those guys were straight warriors no doubt but, can barely walk at age 50-60 as they pushed their bodies way to hard to the wall.  Football has completely changed last last 10-15 yrs around player safety.

Look at the injury list I posted earlier and tell me what constant you see? High ankle sprains in different legs, the guy must suck and is injury prone now??? Come on..

I still think the guy has at least 4 huge years in him. I don't like his current contract though and would not pay it for any back unless it was completely restructured either way. 

Edited by Real McNasty

4 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

You guys like to go back to football 30-50 yrs ago when times were totally different around player safety and health. Those guys were straight warriors no doubt, that can barely walk at age 50-60 as they pushed their bodies way to hard to the wall.  Football has completely changed last last 10-15 yrs around player safety.

Look at the injury list I posted earlier and tell me what constant you see? High ankle sprains in different legs, the guy must suck and is injury prone now??? Come on..

There might be only a handful of injury plagued RBs in the league that I would consider taking a chance on. A healthy McC would do an incredible amount of damage on this team, especially with a revamped offseason o-line draft. I know it is highly risky and he costs a lot of money, but fortune favors the brave. 

10 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

There might be only a handful of injury plagued RBs in the league that I would consider taking a chance on. A healthy McC would do an incredible amount of damage on this team, especially with a revamped offseason o-line draft. I know it is highly risky and he costs a lot of money, but fortune favors the brave. 

He would be fine if not given the ball non-stop on a QB-less team where 11 guys are trying to rip your head off every down. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Since there are no guarantees, would you like to reconsider in a rational way?  

No, I’m ready to take risks. It’s time, this team is one or two pieces away from winning a super bowl. Is it a high risk? Certainly, but I wouldn’t fault them for making a push, in fact I expect it to happen because I don’t see a RB being available that is as good as McC or Barkley in the draft over the next 2 years. 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

No, I’m ready to take risks. It’s time, this team is one or two pieces away from winning a super bowl. Is it a high risk? Certainly, but I wouldn’t fault them for making a push, in fact I expect it to happen because I don’t see a RB being available that is as good as McC or Barkley in the draft over the next 2 years. 

So, you prefer proven injury risk guys over serious upside guys taken in rounds 2-4 for a minimal fraction of the cost. To each their own. 

Just now, Augie said:

So, you prefer proven injury risk guys over serious upside guys taken in rounds 2-4 for a minimal fraction of the cost. To each their own. 

Normally I would 100% agree, but McC is generational talent. Obviously that requires him to remain healthy. I’m fine with shelving him most of the season and let Singletary or whoever absorb most of the damage. There is no one out there in the draft that is on the same level as McC. I want to win and I want top talent. If I have to roll the dice to get that, so be it. 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Normally I would 100% agree, but McC is generational talent. Obviously that requires him to remain healthy. I’m fine with shelving him most of the season and let Singletary or whoever absorb most of the damage. There is no one out there in the draft that is on the same level as McC. I want to win and I want top talent. If I have to roll the dice to get that, so be it. 

Improve the offensive line, coaching and scheme and you make all the RB’s better. Period. 

They don’t need a big “name” RB. “Names” generally mean money wasted. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Augie said:

Improve the offensive line, coaching and scheme and you make all the RB’s better. Period. 

They don’t need a big “name” RB. “Names” generally mean money wasted. 

It’s not just a name though. McC is arguably the best RB in the league when healthy. I agree, I would use this offseason to focus on the o-line and trade for McC. Next season would be the most fun season as a Bills fan in years. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s not just a name though. McC is arguably the best RB in the league when healthy. I agree, I would use this offseason to focus on the o-line and trade for McC. Next season would be the most fun season as a Bills fan in years. 

Completely unconvincing. If I figure in the cost of acquisition, the salary cap ramifications and the question about availability, I am 100% behind our scouts getting the next great guy on the cheap for four years. It’s a position that does NOT justify over-investment. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

I’m inclined to immediately say no to this, but the Bills do seem to have a really strong strength & conditioning / player-care set up. 

Still more than likely against this, or Barkley for that matter, but I could see it working here. 

And he does play for the Panthers. We like those Panthers players

9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Out of the 5 years he’s been playing, he’s only had 2 1,000 yard seasons with 2019 being his best season other than that he’s never rushed for more than 400 yards. He’s not even a top 10 back anymore. I’m not sure if we take a chance on him unless Carolina was willing to accept a late 5th to 6th round pick. Also he’s got a hefty contract that would need to be re worked before we traded for him

He's only played like 9 games the last 2 seasons. That's the only reason why he hasn't had 1000 yards rushing the last 2 years

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

To be fair (cue the Letterkenny enthusiasts), if you give any franchise QB that kind of o-line and RB, they should do some winning...

to-be-fair-letterkenny.gif

Well F Dude, we are 4 real that close. 2 O-line studs and a back, JA17 wins us a SB at this phase IMO. 

If

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 2

If the Panthers thought he could stay healthy they would have zero reason not to keep him.  It's a HARD pass for me especially given our cap situation going forward.  

Now they have an awful quarterback on the books for 18.58 million next year who they gave up two draft picks for (2nd and a 5th) and a broken down running back on the books for 14.3 million.  Dysfunctional franchises do dysfunctional things and it's why the Panthers have gone 22-42 with zero winning seasons since Tepper bought the team.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I remember when RBs had trade value.  When we traded away a used-up Simpson in 1978, we got:

1978 2nd round draft pick (DE Scott Hutchinson)

1978 3rd round pick (WR Danny Fulton)

1979 1st round pick (LB Tom Cousineau)

1979 4th round pick (DE Ken Johnson)  (aka Pinto Ron)

1980 2nd round pick (RB Joe Cribbs)

What a great trade for the Bills!  Joe Cribbs was a really talented multipurpose back for us.  And, of course, Cousineau turned into Jim Kelly.

Obviously, there's a durability issue but it's amazing you could potentially get someone of McCaffrey's talent for a 2nd rounder.  Though I wouldn't want his contract.

Also Cribbs was part of the 3 team trade that got Cornelius Bennett to Bills.  If memory serves wasn't Erik dickerson part of the trade as well?  I'll have to google it as I'm just going on memory and that's some 30 odd yes ago for exact details.

My bad it was rb Greg bell not Cribbs in the Bennett trade,but I did get Erik dickerson as part of the trade right Colts got him from rams.   

Edited by AuntieEm
General corrections
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, DasNootz said:

I don't want either at their price tag - but finger gun to my head, I'd rather have Saquon Barkley for this team.

I’ve recently heard some criticism of the Giants offensive coaches as being horrible.  Jones as QB also doesn’t help.

Of course, you think our coaches could figure out how to best use Barkley?  It took them to, what, the 13th game of this season to figure out that Singletary could handle more carries and do well with them.

Edited by BobbyC81

14 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Told y'all!!! Beane get me on a plane ASAP I'm bringing McCaffrey home!:wub:

Edit: needed to adjust my y'all grammar since I'm from Buffalo...

I'm actually really surprised how often "y'all" is used on this board.

When I lived in upstate, NO ONE ever said, y'all, but it seems quite common now.  (Moved away in 1990)

Do people say it now, in general, like walking around town?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I'm actually really surprised how often "y'all" is used on this board.

When I lived in upstate, NO ONE ever said, y'all, but it seems quite common now.  (Moved away in 1990)

Do people say it now, in general, like walking around town?

No.  If you move to a different region of the country you usually pick up their accent and dialect.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 footballs 2 tackle dummies 8 kicking tees and a practice kicking net plus they retain his salary ;)

6 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Now see this is the whole problem he can't stay healthy.

• Haha (+1) 1

Christian McCaffrey is interesting and probably worth the risk. He probably won't cost much to get either given his cap hit. Probably a 3rd maybe a conditional 2nd which i'de be OK with based on playing time.

He's never had a severe injury. A couple ankle injuries and some nagging injuries the last couple years. He didn't miss a game his 1st 3 years.

I always think of Jordan Poyer when thinking about injury history. He couldn't stay healthy in Cleveland. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

Five leg injuries in the last two years says something. Saying "he will be fine," is ridiculous. You don't know. I don't know. Nobody knows.

He could be fine, it's definitely possible. He could also easily continue having leg problems. Taking him, you're gambling. IMO they don't - and shouldn't - gamble with guys who are injury risks that will cost a lot of money in a year when we don't have much.

And even if they did want to take an expensive risk in a year when they'll be nuzzling up to the cap again, it shouldn't be at RB. Do that with a pass rusher. A DT. A CB. A WR. Hell, even a G, who would make whoever is at RB look a lot better.

Edited by Thurman#1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Can't justify that money for a high mileage RB...........but if he can be pieced back together he could be a great "slot" type receiver(I'd actually still align him in the backfield mostly for the clean releases).

Then that money........and the idea of a 2023 conditional second round  pick.......... becomes more palatable.

You are basically talking about making him the Deebo Samuel this offense badly needs - a YAC monster and matchup nightmare.  Sign me up for that.  Agree that slamming him into the defensive front seven 20 times a game is a recipe for disaster.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.