James Webb Space Telescope And The Search For Our Distant Past

Tiberius

This December 22, may become known as the day the universe changed. That Wednesday, NASA expects to launch the James Webb Space Telescope, the largest and most expensive instrument ever flown. One hundred times more powerful than the 31-year-old Hubble Telescope, Webb can see back in time all the way to the "let there be light" moment—that instant when a cold, dark universe ignited into stars.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

my mind cannot comprehend the ability to look 'back in time' 😵

Like it says in the article, think about seeing the sun and how that's 8 minutes earlier.  The farther away something is, the more in the past what you're seeing of it it is.

So many incredible things about this scope.

It will take nearly six months to get fully deployed and have the science working on it.

Orbital point is at Lagrange 2, which is about a million miles from earth and synchronized to earth's orbit around the sun, and protected by a massive heat shield.

What gives it it's unique ability is that it senses IR signals instead of visual light, like Hubbell.

So many things have to go right, as there is no way to fix it, other than what it can do internally.

Super exciting to watch this process.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, sherpa said:

So many incredible things about this scope.

It will take nearly six months to get fully deployed and have the science working on it.

Orbital point is at Lagrange 2, which is about a million miles from earth and synchronized to earth's orbit around the sun, and protected by a massive heat shield.

What gives it it's unique ability is that it senses IR signals instead of visual light, like Hubbell.

So many things have to go right, as there is no way to fix it, other than what it can do internally.

Super exciting to watch this process.

Hubble was broken when it went up, so sh it can go wrong. But they could go up and work on it. That New Herizons space craft sent to Pluto went dark a few days before it was to pass by and then thankfully rebooted. Ya, if this thing has a problem, it's not going to get fixed. 

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

my mind cannot comprehend the ability to look 'back in time' 😵

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Like it says in the article, think about seeing the sun and how that's 8 minutes earlier.  The farther away something is, the more in the past what you're seeing of it it is.

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Yeah, that's pretty incredible

Every time you watch a Bills game on TV, you're experiencing the same thing on a smaller scale. It takes time for the cameras to convert the light to electricity, time to convert that signal to radio waves (or digitize it), time for the waves to reach the satellite and back (or your antenna) or for the digital signal to stream and reach your modem/router, etc.

So when you watch the Bills on TV in "real-time," there's a lag. In effect, you're seeing what happened a few seconds ago and, therefore, looking back in time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

They've put over a decade into this.  I can't imagine how it must feel for them while they're waiting to see if it all goes as planned - I'm nervous, and I'm not even involved.

It will greatly expand our knowledge of the cosmos if all goes well. I'm stoked.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Every time you watch a Bills game on TV, you're experiencing the same thing on a smaller scale. It takes time for the cameras to convert the light to electricity, time to convert that signal to radio waves (or digitize it), time for the waves to reach the satellite and back (or your antenna) or for the digital signal to stream and reach your modem/router, etc.

So when you watch the Bills on TV in "real-time," there's a lag. In effect, you're seeing what happened a few seconds ago and, therefore, looking back in time.

I mean literally everything you see is reflected light so all of it is something that has already happened.

• Like (+1) 1

For the Hubble picture, it took months for them to process the picture.  They have to take them through red, green and blue filters and then  combine them to and get the color levels correct. 

I have a friend ( Buffalonian and UB Grad) that was the head of the office at the Goddard Space Fight Center in Grenbelt, MD that directed where to point the Hubble.  He mentioned to me that they had a photo that would blow everyone away. That was in December that year. In the summer they published the "Pillars of Creation" photo. Took them that long to make sure everything was aligned and calibrated.

He eventually left there and today one of his twin sons  has that job.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Wacka said:

For the Hubble picture, it took months for them to process the picture.  They have to take them through red, green and blue filters and then  combine them to and get the color levels correct. 

Yes. Hubbell pictures are black and white or greyscale, more accurately.

The spectacular images published are after processing, which is not to say they are not accurate.

The scope has numerous filters and after taking pictures with a number of them, and seeing how much light passes through in each wavelength range, they can get a sense of the true color and then apply that to complete the final image.

Hubbell's initial problem was due to an error in testing equipment which ultimately led to the misplacing of the primary mirror, and thus, blurry images.

Fortunately an ingenious fix was arrived at, resulting in the fabulous images we have enjoyed for years.

Such a fix won't be possible at Webb's orbit location.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:10 PM, Bad Things said:

My brother played a part in the Hubble "fix", making some very high spec'd optics for it.

My brother flew that fix on “his” plane (he was a USAF Raven which are teams that handle plane security, among other things) to the launch site.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:10 PM, Bad Things said:
Edited by UConn James
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I found this to be a pretty succinct video summary of all the stuff that has to go right over the '30 days of horror' 

It's stunning how much went into this, and how many things have to go right. I didn't think it was possible to root for anything more than getting the Bills in the playoffs - but I'm pulling for this to go smoothly more than that.

This would be a big leap.  Efforts like this give me faith in humanity.  

• Like (+1) 2

A poor weather forecast has pushed back the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope by a further day.

Concerns about high-level winds at the Kourou spaceport in French Guiana mean it won't now happen until 25 December.

Everything is set, though. A readiness review for the rocket and the observatory is complete, and launch teams have conducted their final rehearsal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59754467

On 12/13/2021 at 1:53 PM, WhoTom said:

Or if you're streaming, the TV is about 20 to 30 seconds behind my computer, so I have to turn the game off on my computer, because I'll yell "Touchdown" and my wife watching on the TV will be like "They haven't even broke out of the huddle! Shut up!"

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Or if you're streaming, the TV is about 20 to 30 seconds behind my computer, so I have to turn the game off on my computer, because I'll yell "Touchdown" and my wife watching on the TV will be like "They haven't even broke out of the huddle! Shut up!"

image.thumb.jpeg.916fe2d4cd3a8433eab6bbfa8cb98e3c.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

On 12/16/2021 at 8:14 PM, Success said:

It's stunning how much went into this, and how many things have to go right. I didn't think it was possible to root for anything more than getting the Bills in the playoffs - but I'm pulling for this to go smoothly more than that.

This would be a big leap.  Efforts like this give me faith in humanity.  

You might appreciate this video as well. The sheer enthusiasm Dr. Mather has for his work is like the wonder of a child and it’s infectious. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Then the fairing deployment 

Then the Solar Panels

Then the Lens and the “Sail” needs to be deployed. 

Then the countless years of being seen as a failure because despite many inevitable amazing scientific discoveries, it will discover zero evidence of intelligent aliens.  Because there are none.

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Then the countless years of being seen as a failure because despite many inevitable amazing scientific discoveries, it will discover zero evidence of intelligent aliens.  Because there are none.

While discovery of alien life would be interesting, that is not it’s mission. At all. If all goes well when it reaches its destination in six months and starts sending back the images it’s designed to deliver, it will be seen as one of the greatest scientific feats in history. Hell, the fact it was conceived, designed, built, and sent on its way makes it one already in my book. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, K-9 said:

While discovery of alien life would be interesting, that is not it’s mission. At all. If all goes well when it reaches its destination in six months and starts sending back the images it’s designed to deliver, it will be seen as one of the greatest scientific feats in history. Hell, the fact it was conceived, designed, built, and sent on its way makes it one already in my book. 

Although I agree that really doesn’t matter.  The news reports about Webb, after an initial grace period, will all be alien false starts.  You’ll have to dig for the actual science and the false alien crapola will be endless.