Dabol blew it late

Niagara Dude

That 3rd & 2 call seemed like the wrong choice,  was our best option to throw up a fade pass and hope the refs calls it with two guys fighting for position.  Yes It was a foul but they should have known they were not getting calls late in the game.  I thought we could tried a rub play freeing up either Mckenzie or Beasiey or maybe a Diggs hard to the post.  Last year Josh had success with that goal line pass where he just zips a pass to Beasley before defence can even get set.  All those seemed better options then that fade pass,  I could see if Diggs was 6'4  but not at his size because if there were allowing them to play you want someone strong enough to push off the defender who is holding on.

He then starts OT being very conservative with a run and short passes on both 2nd & 3rd down. You make this huge come back and are playing with house money,  I think you need to be more aggressive and play to win.  How about throwing the ball down the field or the middle of field.? You know you have to score because our defence is not going continue to stop Brady and you go conservative and make it easy on them.  After we won the coin toss the mindset should have been we need to score or bust. Dabol has no feel for moment. IMO

• Like (+1) 22
  • Agree 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

That 3rd & 2 call seemed like the wrong choice,  was our best option to throw up a fade pass and hope the refs calls it with two guys fighting for position.  Yes It was a foul but they should have known they were not getting calls late in the game.  I thought we could tried a rub play freeing up either Mckenzie or Beasiey or maybe a Diggs hard to the post.  Last year Josh had success with that goal line pass where he just zips a pass to Beasley before defence can even get set.  All those seemed better options then that fade pass,  I could see if Diggs was 6'4  but not at his size because if there were allowing them to play you want someone strong enough to push off the defender who is holding on.

He then starts OT being very conservative with a run and short passes on both 2nd & 3rd down. You make this huge come back and are playing with house money,  I think you need to be more aggressive and play to win.  How about throwing the ball down the field or the middle of field.? You know you have to score because our defence is not going continue to stop Brady and you go conservative and make it easy on them.  After we won the coin toss the mindset should have been we need to score or bust. Dabol has no feel for moment. IMO

He never did have a feel for the moment. He's always in his own head. 

• Like (+1) 5

He didn't read the situation.  I actually think we should have run on 3rd and 2.  It's been awhile since I saw an opposing defense as exhausted as the Bucs were at that point.

I think a run gets the 1st easily. Then you clock it & likely have time for 3 shots to the EZ.

Oh, well - hindsight.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

Just now, Success said:

He didn't read the situation.  I actually think we should have run on 3rd and 2.  It's been awhile since I saw an opposing defense as exhausted as the Bucs were at that point.

I think a run gets the 1st easily. Then you clock it & likely have time for 3 shots to the EZ.

Oh, well - hindsight.  

Couldn’t run. If you don’t get it the FG team is rushing to get on the field to kick. 

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Game on the line - Diggs vs Carlton Davis 1 on 1 with no help to win the game - I like our chances. He didn't misread the situation we just didn't execute. Players have to make plays.

Yea but the play you run to Diggs there is the one where he undressed Lattimore.

50/50 fade balls aren't his thing and I didn't like the call either.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Oh, well - hindsight.  

I thought even Josh running who was still moving well would have been another good choice

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I hated the call; I was commenting on this in another thread.

You are almost putting the game in the hands of the official, daring him to the throw the flag, which they aren't going to do.

I don't like that play to begin with; it's a very "touchy" sort of play and it can easily end up incomplete for many different reasons.

20 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

He never did have a feel for the moment. He's always in his own head. 

Overthinking things is definitely a weakness of his.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah I agree with the OP.  Daboll called a great game but I think his red zone calls were bad again.  Too many calls where the pass was predetermined to go one place and one place only.  The Bucs were gassed and had no pass rush at that time.  Letting Josh sit back and find the open guy was the right call or even a run I would have been fine with.  Not a big fan of the fade or even back shoulder that is predetermined to only go to one guy.  Same thing on the 3rd down in OT.  That was a one man route to Diggs no matter if he was covered or not.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

DaBoll is one of the worst play callers in the league imo. His stubbornness against trying to establish a run game is infuriating. 

Someone tell this moron OC you can't establish a running game if you don't have RB's or an OL. This season were at the mercy of hoping JA can be Superman. All because Beane failed this offense by not drafting or acquiring more Olineman. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Someone tell this moron OC you can't establish a running game if you don't have RB's or an OL. This season were at the mercy of hoping JA can be Superman. All because Beane failed this offense by not drafting or acquiring more Olineman. 

What are you saying here? Someone to tell Daboll he can’t establish a run game bc he has no rbs or OL? But you want that OL to try and block for Josh when the DC knows it’s a 93% chance to be a pass and they send an extra guy off the edge and the DL has their ears pinned back? It seems Daboll already feels pretty strongly that there’s no hope in a running game this year, so no one would actually need to tell him… I’m genuinely asking I’m not sure what your post means. 

Edited by ßookie_tech

Daboll blew it early. Zero runs in the 1st half is awful game planning. Fans defended him by saying it's just impossible to run against the Bucs. Well in the 2nd half Singletary and Breida and Allen were running the ball very effectively. Didn't look impossible to me. What's impossible is moving the ball through the air with a bad pass protecting o-line when the defense knows what you're doing. Call a balanced offense and good things happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Dr. Football said:

Josh also went from Captain America to Ryan Tannehill on the dolphins in OT. 

people get on him for playing hero

ball, and then he takes what the defense gives him in OT and gets ripped. Bucs were in a cover 2 shell in OT, and the underneath stuff was open. TB just recovered and tackled super well. I would love to see our players break some more tackles. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Daboll blew it early. Zero runs in the 1st half is awful game planning. Fans defended him by saying it's just impossible to run against the Bucs. Well in the 2nd half Singletary and Breida and Allen were running the ball very effectively. Didn't look impossible to me. What's impossible is moving the ball through the air with a bad pass protecting o-line when the defense knows what you're doing. Call a balanced offense and good things happen.

But how much of that is because we maybe caught them off guard actually calling run plays when they were thinking pass.  Also their D could have been getting tired by that point and all that could have contributed to us being able to run better in the second half.

I do agree since we never even attempted a run with a RB it's tough to know if we could have been successful in the first half, have to at least try! I just don't like the play calling on O a lot of times 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

I’m frustrated with Daboll. Wouldn’t shock me if this was his last year here.

I think his last two games have been alright, but the red zone and short yardage play calling has been abysmal. I have no faith in this teams ability to win games, and that’s a big reason. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Legitimate joke post. 

I wish some of you remembered what you said a week ago. 

Sure, everyone was clamoring for a balanced rushing attack this week two days ago.

y’all are embarrassing.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, FireChans said:

Legitimate joke post. 

I wish some of you remembered what you said a week ago. 

Sure, everyone was clamoring for a balanced rushing attack this week two days ago.

y’all are embarrassing.

I was not one of those criticizing Daboll for trying to run the ball last week. I have been saying for weeks he needs to call a balanced offense. The difference between the 1st and 2nd half offense today proved it in my mind. I have said that I don't like Moss runs especially in the red zone. We need to run Singletary and Breida and designed QB runs with Allen to give defenses something else to think about. I also still don't understand why the McKenzie jet sweeps have been featured in exactly one game this year, against our worst opponent.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was not one of those criticizing Daboll for trying to run the ball last week. I have been saying for weeks he needs to call a balanced offense. The difference between the 1st and 2nd half offense today proved it in my mind. I have said that I don't like Moss runs especially in the red zone. We need to run Singletary and Breida and designed QB runs with Allen to give defenses something else to think about. I also still don't understand why the McKenzie jet sweeps have been featured in exactly one game this year, against our worst opponent.

One of my big gripes with Daboll. He basically eliminated a lot of what made our offense successful last year and I don’t understand why. 

Jet sweeps, end arounds and pop passes were a staple component in our offense last year and McKenzie did really well with it. No idea why all of a sudden they are gone. Considering our o-line struggles to run block, wouldn’t you be inclined to use those plays as they are essentially run plays and an easy way to get speed around the edge instead of trying to fail at running it between the tackles?

And it’s probably just me but I’ve always hated his reliance on the QB draw. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I dont have anything to back this statement. But I think after he lost BOTH of his grandparents, he hasnt been the same.

I remember when my Dad passed away unexpectedly a few years ago. I was messed up (mentally) for months. It also took a few years to realize how messed up I was during that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Couldn’t run. If you don’t get it the FG team is rushing to get on the field to kick. 

I think you have enough time. Brady took the field with 22 seconds left. But the FG team would have to be ready to go on the sideline with no time to waste. Teams have certainly done it before. They may have stopped for a measurement too if it were deemed close.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

So what do you want Diggs and Allen to do here? If Diggs is being held he can’t do his job? How would you do your job if something was holding you down from getting it done?

I agree but Daboll should have enough feel for the game/refs at that point to know the Bucs are likely going to maul our receivers and the refs are unlikely to throw the flag.

On top of that, fades arent a high percentage play to begin with and Josh was playing a bit wild with his injury/adrenaline going full blast.  Not the time to call a touch pass fade to a 6 ft WR.

I know they smoked Lattimore with that play but Diggs didn't use the setup move like last time, he gets held (no surprise), refs allow it, ball sails incomplete.  

For all the great new plays they installed and executed this week, it sure sucked to come up short.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

***** excuses. Win the damn thing. Don't rely on the refs.

When a guy basically tackles you to prevent you from playing the ball it's pass interference.  Refs are easy targets after a team loss but that one was pretty effin obvious and we would've had 1st and goal from the one.  Now we know how Sean Payton feels and that was in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.