December 6, 2021 Gameday Bills vs. Patriots* Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

6 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

The "gritty run first offense" New England Patriots: 4.1 yards per carry, 115.3 rushing yards per game

The "can't run the ball" Buffalo Bills: 4.6 yards per carry, 118.3 rushing yards per game

And that's with moss dragging down our rushing attack most of the year. The narrative surrounding this game on this board and in the media makes no sense.

The "hard-nosed" Patriots defense: 4.5 ypc allowed, 115.8 ypg allowed

The "soft" Bills defense: 3.9 ypc allowed, 96.6 ypg allowed

They also didn't play Derrick Henry and still gave up more yards on the ground to the Titans than we did.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

The "hard-nosed" Patriots defense: 4.5 ypc allowed, 115.8 ypg allowed

The "soft" Bills defense: 3.9 ypc allowed, 96.6 ypg allowed

They also didn't play Derrick Henry and still gave up more yards on the ground to the Titans than we did.

Not to mention Henry’s 70 yard run against us had about 4 uncalled holding penalties lol. They were hurting us with play action late in that game…I thought we did a decent job against Henry. It was pretty eye opening to see the titans moving the ball with absolute nobodies at all their skill positions against the pats…granted we can’t read too much into previous games and they won that game anyway.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, finn said:

So why not put 11 men within ten yards of the LOS against the Pats? If they do the same, Allen throws it 15 yards, something presumably Jones can't do. Sounds like a punt fest to me, with the punts with the wind flipping field position dramatically and ones against the wind blowing backwards, meaning lots of fourth-down tries. An entertaining game, but not one that will show which team is better. 

Runners break tackles. Defenders slip and fall on a wet field. And then there's nobody left to bring a runner down and you get an 80 yard catch-and-run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP9GdzEofLM

9 or 10 in the box vs. Tebow, who we all know couldn't throw to save his life. And yet ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Not to mention Henry’s 70 yard run against us had about 4 uncalled holding penalties lol. They were hurting us with play action late in that game…I thought we did a decent job against Henry. It was pretty eye opening to see the titans moving the ball with absolute nobodies at all their skill positions…granted we can’t read too much into previous games and they won that game anyway.

im still upset about those no call holds....

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Not to mention Henry’s 70 yard run against us had about 4 uncalled holding penalties lol. They were hurting us with play action late in that game…I thought we did a decent job against Henry. It was pretty eye opening to see the titans moving the ball with absolute nobodies at all their skill positions…granted we can’t read too much into previous games and they won that game anyway.

The most awful terrible game was the colts. It’s hard to forget it, still pretty fresh. So I do understand the narrative being there. But there were 10 other games. 

24 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You mean nobody's posted this yet? Weather? You want to see what "weather" really means? Josh knows weather! Just scroll to the 4:00 mark.

Wow....Josh really gave it to that Colorado LB after rushing for the first down....here's hoping he gives some of that to Judon and co....

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea that reminded me of lebron James getting all the calls…or no calls in this case lol it’s good business for the nfl to let the offensive line play in titans games cuz you get a bunch of highlight reel runs haha

ya it sucks that games can be decided by how the refs call or dont call a game.   just be consistent,   not consistently inconsistent 😋

Edited by bigduke6
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

ya it sucks that games can be decided by how the refs call or dont call a game.   just be consistent,   not consistently inconsistent 😋

Yep we got hosed by that in the afc championship as well…if that game is called like the superbowl was maybe we win a shootout…I don’t think there’s some grand conspiracy against us…I think there’s just an ebb and flow of nfl refs being instructed to let players play leading to a disastrous no call then nfl refs are instructed to keep a closer eye on something leading to a disastrous penalty call and it just keeps flipping back and forth 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

18 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

The "gritty run first offense" New England Patriots: 4.1 yards per carry, 115.3 rushing yards per game

The "can't run the ball" Buffalo Bills: 4.6 yards per carry, 118.3 rushing yards per game

And that's with moss dragging down our rushing attack most of the year. The narrative surrounding this game on this board and in the media makes no sense.

I agree with you, but the Bills have struggled in short yardage and in some big situations. That is real...

But to support your point further...look at the Bucs Running game this year and last. Hint, it stinks but no one seems to dwell on it.  

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Of course but would you agree that a QB that normally throws the ball 5 yards likely is affected less than one that like to throw downfield a lot?  The further a ball travels the more it is affected by the wind.  Also, I am not going to do the math on this but if a ball is thrown 5 yards and its a couple inches off target... how far off target is it 15 yards?

I think the implicit assumption that you're making is that each QB is throwing the ball 5 yds with the same velocity.    But that's probably not the case.

The ball that is thrown with the higher velocity and the straighter line will be less affected over a short distance; the ball that is thrown with touch and a nice arc will be more affected.

As far as downfield passing game, yes, that will be more affected.

The real problem is the gusts.  They make it impossible for any QB to throw with pinpoint precision.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1